Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

And we can complain loudly about Aria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I have no strong opinions, I never bought those DLC's as Aria stopped being interesting after ME2, so why spend the money? And I spent my ME3 DLC budget on loot crates :v:

To beat a dead horse, when I first saw Kai Leng, I thought he was a joke character who was going to get chumped in our first encounter. Instead, he ended up framing me for murder and was portrayed as the super coolest badass that wasn't quite as good as Shepard in combat yet. He's so lame that it almost comes back to being goofy, but they push his bad assness way too hard to be fun

I like Udina trying to pull a Shepard and being so incompetent that he almost singlehandedly destabilizes the remaining power in the galaxy in the middle of an unstoppable genocide. And he weakens humanity's position in all future political negotiations, good luck getting support for earth when every race knows the humans staged a massive coup to aid indoctrinated forces

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always assumed Udina was hella indoctrinated because its the only way his actions make sense, but then again I never really bought the "save the Earth" central premise of ME3.

My main take-away from Omega is that it gives you a bunch of sweet weapon mods, so I am down with doing it early.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Ok, we'll do it next then.

Aw the thread went gold. Thanks guys! :kimchi:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Omega also gives you Lash in the singleplayer game, which is hilarious for physics fuckery.

Also Flare, which is... interesting.. for a gimmicky Adept run.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I like to do Omega right after the Coup attempt

It's sort of like Shepard's counterattack on Cerberus, attacking one of their major strongholds right after they wasted their resources attacking ours

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Aw the thread went gold. Thanks guys! :kimchi:

It deserves it!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
(Don't) gently caress the Batarians

Lazyfire joins me as we run around on the Citadel in sidequest hell. Along the way we run into a couple familiar faces from previous games. I do like the thread of continuity here, and it's a shame that there wasn't less effort put into "accessibility" and more into acting like the third game in a trilogy. No one who started ME with 3 is gonna know or care about returning characters anyway. Still, the moments and callbacks are there and usually satisfying when they occur.

We see some residual destruction from the attempted coup, and this will hilariously stick around for the remainder of the game, including some convos you'll have with people with smoke visible in the background and scorch marks everywhere. At the end we get a hint as to our next major plot mission, and also get another side mission from Liara. We'll be ignoring that stuff to do Omega for now. Also Kaidan joins the squad.

I'll do a quick runaround of the ship to have some chats and then we'll trigger the DLC and get going on that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The day I learned to stop being a completionist was when I realized you could just tell Kaidan "Uhh, I'd rather not" and he awkwardly shuffles off to become a 25 point War Asset instead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh gods, Jenna's voice acting. Also who cares if Conrad dies?

Sounds like the batarians got what was coming to them. :roflolmao:

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Poil posted:

Oh gods, Jenna's voice acting. Also who cares if Conrad dies?

:catstare:

Conrad is the hero the galaxy deserves.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I have played 3 Femsheps through to the end of the trilogy...I never knew about that exchange with Joker

I have failed at being a completionist :negative:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I poo poo all over Conrad in ME2, that guy is a danger to himself and others.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I remember conrad's scene being very, very, very different

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I hardly remember Conrad at all. The name sounds familiar, but it isn't like I can recognise his face from the previous games

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dreadwroth posted:

I poo poo all over Conrad in ME2, that guy is a danger to himself and others.

Conrad is a dork but in his defense if you don’t do Jenna’s quest he actually dies taking a bullet for Shep there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, Conrad's a good guy (and apparently a theoretical physicist), just profoundly broken and delusional after getting divorced.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, Conrad's a good guy (and apparently a theoretical physicist), just profoundly broken and delusional after getting divorced.

There we go, he's a theoretical physicist who specializes in black holes and dark energy

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

There we go, he's a theoretical physicist who specializes in black holes and dark energy

Yeah, if you talk to him after the shooting incident you can go through a long exchange that checks a lot of the save file flags from ME1 and gives you something like.. 5 war effort points? But it's hilarious because Conrad's continually amazed at all these people you know and how the gently caress do you have matriarch writings and an Asari Justicar's weapons license?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

there are so many little things in ME3 that I have missed after all of these years.

Guess that's what happens when 90% of your playtime is dedicated to MP only

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, if you talk to him after the shooting incident you can go through a long exchange that checks a lot of the save file flags from ME1 and gives you something like.. 5 war effort points? But it's hilarious because Conrad's continually amazed at all these people you know and how the gently caress do you have matriarch writings and an Asari Justicar's weapons license?

yeah. It's basically them stuffing in every possible ME1 ref they could get away with in 90 seconds, even though the end result reads like Psycho Mantis scanning your memory card. Apparently, Conrad was enough of a dev-team favorite they refused to cut him despite being on the list for cuts in both ME2 and 3.

So yeah, this whole scene is ... well, completely absurd, but I'm glad he didn't get dropped. ME3 ended far too many ME1/2 character references with an email about "hey remember {character name} you knew from {previous title}, they're dead!" but at least one of them got slightly better than that.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 5, 2018

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The second two thirds of the series are pretty easily characterised by contempt for everything before it, though. See 2 and 3 taking everything interesting about 1 and tossing it in the bin to just make Gears of War in Space.

Speaking of Gears of War in Space, why do the Reapers even have ground forces for us to pew pew shootman at, rather than just glassing everything from orbit?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Flesnolk posted:

The second two thirds of the series are pretty easily characterised by contempt for everything before it, though. See 2 and 3 taking everything interesting about 1 and tossing it in the bin to just make Gears of War in Space.

Speaking of Gears of War in Space, why do the Reapers even have ground forces for us to pew pew shootman at, rather than just glassing everything from orbit?

Harvesting organics to make new Reapers, like in ME2. Their solution to the organics vs synthetics issue.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I've never had Conrad survive until ME3

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s still bizarre to me they never fixed Conrad’s event flag bug in ME2. Or was that related to the ME1 save file?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
ME2 read the ME1 save incorrectly, I think. he always assumed you were renegade to him in ME1 regardless of what you did. ME3 makes fun of this in the conversation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

It’s still bizarre to me they never fixed Conrad’s event flag bug in ME2. Or was that related to the ME1 save file?

Personally I think that just adds to the charm of Conrad.

:v:: Remember me, Shepard? You put a gun. In my face.
:manning:: No I didn't, Conrad, please stop talking bullshit.

:allears:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Psion posted:

ME2 read the ME1 save incorrectly, I think. he always assumed you were renegade to him in ME1 regardless of what you did. ME3 makes fun of this in the conversation.
If you saved conrad at all in ME1 it set both his "Solved Conrad's problem Renegade" and "Solved Conrad's Problem Paragon" Flags, and ME2's logic basically checked if he was dead, if you did his quest Renegade, then if you did his quest paragon. If you hack the save to remove the renegade flag things play out normally.

In ME3 he says something to the effect of "I'm sorry if I said that you stuck your gun in my face, my doctor said I have delusions and the meds make me better."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I assume they left it in, because why would anyone not want Renegade Conrad to show up and try to be Shepard? The Paragon resolution just gives you a dumb e-mail and you miss out on a sweet quest.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I assume they left it in, because why would anyone not want Renegade Conrad to show up and try to be Shepard? The Paragon resolution just gives you a dumb e-mail and you miss out on a sweet quest.

...noooooo
Paragon Conrad still shows up in the bar.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Blue by you

We check in real fast with people and get even more goddamn sidequests. Traynor's is a major mission, Chakwas's isn't. Then it's off to the Citadel to meet up with Aria so we can Take Back OmegaTM. For some reason we can't bring anyone along. You'd think that if Aria was interested in a ground assault she'd want as many people as possible, but whatevs. It's possible they didn't want to pay everyone to come back for VA. Also the guy in charge is some super badass strategist who's never been mentioned before. He's a guy with a Russian name and a British accent. We get told to meet up with her fleet(?) which is hidden(?!) near the Citadel. It just dumps you back at the galaxy map, so at least you don't have to go through several loading screens.

Once we head on over we end up speaking to the man himself, who is a pompous dickwad. No wonder TIM likes him. Then Aria has a magnificent aka dumb plan to crash the ship into Omega to take out its shields but we get shot up before we can kamikaze our way in and end up bailing in escape pods. ME2 flashbacks all over the place. Once inside we start shooting dudes which is a radical new strategy for us. We need to get the cannons deactivated so the rest of the fleet can land. This turns out to be stupidly easy because after a couple of upgrades our charge is now to the point where it's ready to go again before we're done with Nova. It's disgusting and a war crime and I love it. Then Aria tells us exactly where her supar sekret base is because we would totally give a gently caress where level D is or whatever and Petrovsky is listening in so now he knows everything :downs:

Aria gets two new (to SP) powers, both of which are pretty good. Flare is broke as gently caress in SP if you use it, and lash if not super effective, can lead to great silliness such as this. If you want to do that you have to aim just above your target and let physics do the rest. She also has reave and the usual buffs to health and powers. She's pretty close to a vanguard without the charge, as she uses a shotgun/SMG combo. We've tarted her up with the GPS and the Hurricane, so she'll do decent damage and mostly keep herself out of harm's way.

Next time we'll move further into the plot, such as it is. Probably kill some more Cerberus guys, just to be different.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shepard's not really good at delegation, is she.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Is Liara still the shadow broker if you didn’t do that dlc?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yes. She rather casually mentions it the first time you talk to her on the Normandy if you didn't do the DLC.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

Is Liara still the shadow broker if you didn’t do that dlc?

grack posted:

Yes. She rather casually mentions it the first time you talk to her on the Normandy if you didn't do the DLC.

The game just flies under the assumption that she went and did Lair of the Shadow Broker either on her own or with a team she hired out in the place of Shepard and co. while Shep was out dealing with the collectors or in the klink for blowing up the Alpha Relay... or just because if you didn't do Arrival either.

Sair
May 11, 2007

So all they really needed to take this place was Shepard loaded into a missile.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's apparently a more costly operation without you at the helm and Faren doesn't survive unless you do the dlc yourself.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think Aria's fleet is "hidden" in the sense that C-Sec is paid off to not do anything about it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Liked that final fight outside the control room.

You ploughed through the chumps there so quickly, the computer went straight from "pressure at 47%" to "fully repressurised" without pausing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wait, the station had a shield which prevented the small ships to land so they were going to break it by ramming their bigger ship into the shield but it got blown up so they went into the small escape pods which casually drove right through the shield with no problem? Am I missing something here? :confused: