Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Speaking as an engineer who's worked in product liability stuff in the past, and currently works in product R&D... of course there was FEA done, and hopefully a bunch of other testing. But there's a lot of conventionally designed stuff that has gone through FEA and testing only to fail in ways that the original designers didn't expect later on, and plastics get to adding a whooooooole bunch of reliance on your supply chain being spot on, all the time.

I'm sure it was conceived with the best of intentions, but man, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It might have passed all the tests but I maintain it's a horrible idea until we have samples that have survived 8 years of slushy and salty roads.

And 100 degree temperature swings.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i mean dont get me wrong gently caress tesla and musk too, but it's easy to nitpick stuff like this from the internet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xzzy posted:

It's good that manufacturers are finally admitting the salt belt exists and putting more plastic into critical structural elements.

Yet everyone bitches about the MK7 having a composite oil pan

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I mean, all you gotta say is "Tesla panel gap" or "touchscreen" or "GLOSSY BLACK PLASTIC WHERE FEET GO" and the fun starts right back up :v:

It has a steel core, plastic reinforcement sheathing, instead of aluminum all around. Only a 15% weight reduction from aluminum but a more graceful failure mode, the steel core holds together if the plastic cracks.

I thought the link said a 15% reduction from stamped steel, not aluminum.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

It might have passed all the tests but I maintain it's a horrible idea until we have samples that have survived 8 years of slushy and salty roads.

And 100 degree temperature swings.

So we just have to see how many Models 3 survive eight years in a world filled with concrete blocks, tractor-trailers, cop cars, and fire trucks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Yet everyone bitches about the MK7 having a composite oil pan

i really dont see the problem with it, but VW guys are known for lowering too much and destroying their cars to look "cool" soooo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
poo poo, you're right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I remember everyone bellyaching over composite intake manifolds too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Something, something, composite leaf springs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm glad we got plastic dashes though. gently caress that vinyl foam poo poo they used in the 80's.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I mean, all you gotta say is "Tesla panel gap" or "touchscreen" or "GLOSSY BLACK PLASTIC WHERE FEET GO" and the fun starts right back up :v:

It has a steel core, plastic reinforcement sheathing, instead of aluminum all around. Only a 15% weight reduction from aluminum but a more graceful failure mode, the steel core holds together if the plastic cracks.

Ah, that's a bit more un-scary.

xzzy posted:

I'm glad we got plastic dashes though. gently caress that vinyl foam poo poo they used in the 80's.

poo poo was nice when it was new, soft and flexible, but man, if you didn't take care of that vinyl... boom! Grand Canyon.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

i mean dont get me wrong gently caress tesla and musk too, but it's easy to nitpick stuff like this from the internet.

Sure, sure. I'm just literally looking at test parts sitting on my desk relating to converting one part from an engineered plastic to aluminum because we're sick of trying to get plastic suppliers to turn in a quality parts consistently and, well, it's hard to not have that make you wonder.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Sure, sure. I'm just literally looking at test parts sitting on my desk relating to converting one part from an engineered plastic to aluminum because we're sick of trying to get plastic suppliers to turn in a quality parts consistently and, well, it's hard to not have that make you wonder.

I went to CMM programming training with a guy who has to measure plastics. Trying to hold a tolerance with plastic other stuff like virgin peak seemed like a losing battle, especially with sinks and all the other molding problems plastic is prone to. Isn't plastic covering metal one of the reasons chrome clad wheels on Dodges rot even faster than straight steelies?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

bull3964 posted:

I remember everyone bellyaching over composite intake manifolds too.

IIRC, a lot of the early composite manifolds had obnoxious failure rates. Much like the CVT, the tech has matured quite a bit, but the bellyaching was justified until ~2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

IIRC, a lot of the early composite manifolds had obnoxious failure rates. Much like the CVT, the tech has matured quite a bit, but the bellyaching was justified until ~2010

Yup, its common with the VW ones at least for the composite to fail and the intake manifold flaps to jam open or shut.

The major advantage to composite manifolds is you can rush out rapid updated manifolds to solve the issue.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

BloodBag posted:

I went to CMM programming training with a guy who has to measure plastics. Trying to hold a tolerance with plastic other stuff like virgin peak seemed like a losing battle, especially with sinks and all the other molding problems plastic is prone to.

And then the fuckers lie to you - they up the amount of regrind or reduce the amount of reinforcement and dare you to catch them. Or they get undercut by another supplier, purchasing goes with them, and then after the design for the new supplier gets validated, after a year's worth of parts they start upping the amount of regrind or reducing the amount of reinforcement and daring you to catch them.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mekilljoydammit posted:

And then the fuckers lie to you - they up the amount of regrind or reduce the amount of reinforcement and dare you to catch them. Or they get undercut by another supplier, purchasing goes with them, and then after the design for the new supplier gets validated, after a year's worth of parts they start upping the amount of regrind or reducing the amount of reinforcement and daring you to catch them.

Sounds worse than food QA.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I hope SpaceX fails so the 1% are stuck here with the rest of us when poo poo breaks bad. :getin:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It's still so many hundreds of times simpler to live on a polluted hellscape Earth than a sterile space station or moon base. Basically, the only way that living off-world is better, would be if the environment was so far gone that you couldn't breath the air.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Previa_fun posted:

I hope SpaceX fails so the 1% are stuck here with the rest of us when poo poo breaks bad. :getin:

On the upside, even if they did make it to space, their life expectancy would end up going to poo poo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

On the upside, even if they did make it to space, their life expectancy would end up going to poo poo.

Especially since space has no tolerance for stupidity, and doesn't give a poo poo how much money you have.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

In a final "gently caress you" all the 1% leave earth and die in horrible ways but leave all their inheritance to their corporate entities back on planet CannibalCancer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Humans haven't even figured out what a balanced diet is, opinion changes every ten years about what will and what won't kill us.

And the rich folks are talking about colonizing mars? That Matt Damon movie was the absolute best case scenario, it's far more likely we spend a hundred years sending people to a horrible death before we start to figure things out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mekilljoydammit posted:

I am so afraid that going all in on Tesla is going to end up killing Space X.

if it makes you feel any better, elon musk has essentially nothing to do with SpaceX's success

they get their money from NASA contracts and use NASA launch facilities and this guy is their actual rocket scientist who leads the actual engineering

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Mueller

ol' musky is essentially a spacex hype man

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

if it makes you feel any better, elon musk has essentially nothing to do with SpaceX's success

they get their money from NASA contracts and use NASA launch facilities and this guy is their actual rocket scientist who leads the actual engineering

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Mueller

ol' musky is essentially a spacex hype man

I mean it does, but I'm more worried about financial shenanigans being pulled - cannibalizing the working business's operating funds to keep the other one going, kinda thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Humans haven't even figured out what a balanced diet is, opinion changes every ten years about what will and what won't kill us.

And the rich folks are talking about colonizing mars? That Matt Damon movie was the absolute best case scenario, it's far more likely we spend a hundred years sending people to a horrible death before we start to figure things out.

Rich people have to believe in some dumb poo poo to justify the damage they're doing to people/the planet. Some believe humans can escsape once the planet is a flaming husk, others believe we're living in a simulation so the people they refuse to pay a living wage aren't actually people.

In conclusion, eat the rich.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Weird derail.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Weird derail.

It's us, we are the horrible mechanical failures.

Also, whatever this guy is driving.

https://i.imgur.com/p7E3xgW.mp4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Weird derail.

Trying to live in space is a mechanical failure waiting to happen, predicting the failures is half the fun!

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Lol

Looks like a Porsche headlight

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Powershift posted:

It's us, we are the horrible mechanical failures.

Also, whatever this guy is driving.

https://i.imgur.com/p7E3xgW.mp4

HELLO, HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD WORD OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Headlights falling out? It's got to be a Porsche.

Macan would be my guess

I guess they never bothered to redesign the headlamp mounting. They kinda just slide in and have a latching arm that you manually turn with a long specialized key, can be a bit of a bitch to latch correctly, and apparently made it very easy to steal the lights from various generations of Cayenne, whatever the big SUV is spelled.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I love it. The ultimate mechanical failure bait-and-switch, in GIF form.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Bajaha posted:

Headlights falling out? It's got to be a Porsche.

Macan would be my guess

I guess they never bothered to redesign the headlamp mounting. They kinda just slide in and have a latching arm that you manually turn with a long specialized key, can be a bit of a bitch to latch correctly, and apparently made it very easy to steal the lights from various generations of Cayenne, whatever the big SUV is spelled.

Oh yeah, just saw a GIF on another thread (Eastern Europe.gifv probably) where a guy demonstrated removing those exact lights with a kebab skewer.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Aren't porsche headlights stolen super frequently or something?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

They are! Due to the relative ease and speed of stealing them due to not necessitating opening the hood, high value / quality, and apparently being a decent grow light for your other enterprise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also, the fact that they're stolen so much while being easy to install means there's always a market of people who want cheap don't-care-where-you-got-it replacements, which encourages more people to steal them, which increases the demand, in a glorious self-perpetuating cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pressure washer slowed down, sparked and stopped, 240v karcher.

Step one, take it apart and giggle at how little the actually is in here. Then notice the carbon and copper chips...

Looks like the commutator poo poo the bed, brushes lasted about 5 seconds after that. It would technically still run if I put new brushes in, for about 5 seconds before it ate them too. This cost me £45 I think, 2 years ago. New motor is about £45, do the math.