Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

A Shadow of War game only its Orks.

In boot-cut jeans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Zasze posted:

Kinda weird that they have been totally silent on kill team, are there any events that they could preview it at after all the AOS 2nd edition stuff is done?

When is AoS2 expected to be done? Origins is coming up in the middle of June.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Zasze posted:

Kinda weird that they have been totally silent on kill team, are there any events that they could preview it at after all the AOS 2nd edition stuff is done?

e: goddamnit phone double posted

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PantsOptional posted:

When is AoS2 expected to be done? Origins is coming up in the middle of June.

Rumors point to the end of June, unfortunately.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zasze posted:

The UK Games Expo opens tomorrow and GW have a seminar planned. Last year they covered 8E & Primaris stuff in more detail, I wouldn't be surprised to see AoS & Killteam this time.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I want a "The Learning Company" style game about the Chaos gods.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hope the sisters codex pushes some resistance to primaris marines and Guilliman from within the imperium. Surely the rich ecclesiarchical fatties at the top are hating all this poo poo.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BigRed0427 posted:

Seriously, more 40K games where the Imperium, especially the Space Marines, are not the central focus.

I want a dim game where your managing a Ork warband.

Dawn of WAAAGH

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Schadenboner posted:

What would the closest equivelent be for the Gravis Captain from the starting box in Deathwatch terms? Maybe a termi with a power fist (bolt storm gauntlet)?

You can field it as a Primaris Watch Captain (same base, similar size), or if you replace the Power Sword with a Power Fist of some Variety you could even call it an Aggressor Sergeant.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I really hate that they stopped the momentum of 8th Edition 40k to do this huge AoS push.

A local manager was telling me that when they had their big managers meeting in texas a few months back, AoS sales dropped something like 80% and they weren't expecting it at all. They want to keep the sales up for both systems at the same time, which seems nigh impossible.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

I really hate that they stopped the momentum of 8th Edition 40k to do this huge AoS push.

A local manager was telling me that when they had their big managers meeting in texas a few months back, AoS sales dropped something like 80% and they weren't expecting it at all. They want to keep the sales up for both systems at the same time, which seems nigh impossible.

What momentum did they stop? They've pushed out 3 books in 3 weeks and the Knights release is big and exciting with a bunch of new plastic kits and a great box deal, then there'll be a few weeks of AoS stuff which will hopefully reinvigorate that game, and then we'll have the last 3 40k books + Kill Team + Rogue Trader all going off at once. To be honest I'm glad it's slowed down a little - there's so many good releases at once that it's hard to keep on top of.

xpost from the painting thread:

Corrode posted:

Got a couple of Death Company with thunder hammers/hammer Captains done:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Gravis Captain -> Terminator Watch Captain with Relic Blade and Storm Bolter

That is how i would use them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

What momentum did they stop? They've pushed out 3 books in 3 weeks and the Knights release is big and exciting with a bunch of new plastic kits and a great box deal, then there'll be a few weeks of AoS stuff which will hopefully reinvigorate that game, and then we'll have the last 3 40k books + Kill Team + Rogue Trader all going off at once. To be honest I'm glad it's slowed down a little - there's so many good releases at once that it's hard to keep on top of.

xpost from the painting thread:

I didn't expect it to take over a year for all the armies to transition into Codices. I don't particularly care, because my armies have actual books, but it must suck for Ork players and I know my friend who plays Space Wolves is pretty bummed about it.

Perhaps momentum stopping was the wrong phrasing, but it certainly feels slowed to me. Right out of the gate of 8th last year felt like an avalanche, and now it feels like a slow roll.

I get the desire to want to keep sales up for AoS, but a rise in one will see a dip in the other.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

Gravis Captain -> Terminator Watch Captain with Relic Blade and Storm Bolter

That is how i would use them.

As a 1:1 replacement that totally works. For me; replace the power sword with a spear and rock a Watch Master.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

As a 1:1 replacement that totally works. For me; replace the power sword with a spear and rock a Watch Master.

Watch Masters are on 32 mm bases, though, and Gravis Captains are on 40s.

I love the conversion, but it does technically need to be on a smaller base.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

I didn't expect it to take over a year for all the armies to transition into Codices. I don't particularly care, because my armies have actual books, but it must suck for Ork players and I know my friend who plays Space Wolves is pretty bummed about it.

Perhaps momentum stopping was the wrong phrasing, but it certainly feels slowed to me. Right out of the gate of 8th last year felt like an avalanche, and now it feels like a slow roll.

I get the desire to want to keep sales up for AoS, but a rise in one will see a dip in the other.

theres only so much cash you can milk out of a ham before their wallet needs a break

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
First DW Intercessor done:

Brother Justus, like many of the Ulltima Founding, served in the Indomitus Crusade prior to being seconded to the Deathwatch. While the primary focus of the Crusade was retaking Imperial worlds from the hands of Chaos forces, this is not to say there weren't Xenos to kill. Justus proved himself quite capable and passionate about murdering non-human sentient life and so it was not long after the Crusade disbanded that he was seconded to the Deathwatch and assigned to Fort Prescience, neighboring Rynn's World and incursions of Hive Fleet Leviathan. Like many Primaris Marines, Justus fought in battle alongside sons of Dorn and Sanguinus and all the other Primarchs as part of the Indomitus Crusade, and so he has fit in naturally in a Fortis Kill Team that includes members of many chapters. He is depicted here in mid-battle shortly after some foul Xenos has knocked his bolt pistol out of his hand, forcing him to resort to his trusty Gladius (aka combat knife) for some hand-to-hand action. Of course, his on-board wrist computer did not react well to being disconnected so suddenly from his bolt pistol's telemetry, and machine spirits being what they are, the computer is suffering a classic error from ages past.

Pretty happy with how this dude came out, though I'm an idiot and didn't realize the shoulder placements were such that the backpack would not fit normally until way too late. The black also looks more interesting in real life as he is not in fact painted black. I may also bright the highlights on the bolter casing as they are pretty blown out in the picture and probs won't be particularly visible at tabletop distance either.

Also... gently caress eyes.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Who is at the Games Expo tomorrow?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Are there any recommended bits sites with reasonable shipping within the US, or do most people just ebay it up?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nice!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

theres only so much cash you can milk out of a ham before their wallet needs a break

My heart knows this is the real reason.

bonds0097 posted:

Brother Justus, like many of the Ulltima Founding, served in the Indomitus Crusade prior to being seconded to the Deathwatch. While the primary focus of the Crusade was retaking Imperial worlds from the hands of Chaos forces, this is not to say there weren't Xenos to kill. Justus proved himself quite capable and passionate about murdering non-human sentient life and so it was not long after the Crusade disbanded that he was seconded to the Deathwatch and assigned to Fort Prescience, neighboring Rynn's World and incursions of Hive Fleet Leviathan. Like many Primaris Marines, Justus fought in battle alongside sons of Dorn and Sanguinus and all the other Primarchs as part of the Indomitus Crusade, and so he has fit in naturally in a Fortis Kill Team that includes members of many chapters. He is depicted here in mid-battle shortly after some foul Xenos has knocked his bolt pistol out of his hand, forcing him to resort to his trusty Gladius (aka combat knife) for some hand-to-hand action. Of course, his on-board wrist computer did not react well to being disconnected so suddenly from his bolt pistol's telemetry, and machine spirits being what they are, the computer is suffering a classic error from ages past.

Pretty happy with how this dude came out, though I'm an idiot and didn't realize the shoulder placements were such that the backpack would not fit normally until way too late. The black also looks more interesting in real life as he is not in fact painted black. I may also bright the highlights on the bolter casing as they are pretty blown out in the picture and probs won't be particularly visible at tabletop distance either.

Hot drat this ended up great.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

At this point in previous editions we'd have had like 2 books released and Ork players would have been whining because their codex was a decade old. I know it's rough for single-faction guys without a codex when everyone else is running around with awesome toys and well-designed books and they're like "cool, 2 units in my lovely pamphlet are even usable" but it's honestly insane to me that a year out from a new edition people are complaining they haven't released a codex for every single faction.

bonds0097 posted:

thanks for making my black-armoured guys look like poo poo dude

Joking aside this is real cool, great job.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Strobe posted:

Fffffffffffffucckkkk.

Oh well, not like i will ever actually play a game with this army.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

At this point in previous editions we'd have had like 2 books released and Ork players would have been whining because their codex was a decade old. I know it's rough for single-faction guys without a codex when everyone else is running around with awesome toys and well-designed books and they're like "cool, 2 units in my lovely pamphlet are even usable" but it's honestly insane to me that a year out from a new edition people are complaining they haven't released a codex for every single faction.

Why is that insane? I'm not surprised they aren't done yet, but I can certainly understand where that camp is coming from. There are 25ish codices for 40k. I expected their average release schedule to be closer to 2 a month, since that's what it was on the outset, but it's 1.5.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Why is that insane? I'm not surprised they aren't done yet, but I can certainly understand where that camp is coming from. There are 25ish codices for 40k. I expected their average release schedule to be closer to 2 a month, since that's what it was on the outset, but it's 1.5.

It's insane just because it's a 180 from how GW used to operate, and weird to see that as the complaint these days. Not insane that you have that complaint so much as that we are in that situation where it even can be.

Also they are most likely all done by now. They are spacing them on purpose for hype train, wallet fatigue, and shelf space.

I don't think that's a crazy conspiracy theory, the leaked InDesign file for necron codex said October on it but the codex came out in March.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

I love the conversion, but it does technically need to be on a smaller base.

I guess I will just need to get my opponent's permission. Hopefully NOVA won't care.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I guess I will just need to get my opponent's permission. Hopefully NOVA won't care.

Between GW rebasing most infantry a size up and no longer even printing any rule in the book about base size I don't really forsee any issues there from all but the most anal people.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

Between GW rebasing most infantry a size up and no longer even printing any rule in the book about base size I don't really forsee any issues there from all but the most anal people.

Oh good it will be an excellent litmus test for people I wouldn't want to play with.

(Strobe we can still play.)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The general rule with bases was always you had to use, at minimum, the base that came with the model. Going up was fine, but going down wasn't.

Basically, putting a Watch Master on a 40mm is totally cool and no one should care about it.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Well, the problem with basing up an HQ is you're effectively extending their aura. Whether 8mm really matter is certainly debatable and I am personally all about basing models in the way that makes them look coolest. But in a competitive environment, it may be an issue.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I don't mind waiting for the Ork codex to drop. With the exception of T'au, and possibly the mono-legion/chapter space marine books, the most recent codexes have all had fun and novel ideas in them. The Knight one looks super fun and interesting with the freeblade tables. In four months time I won't mind having had to wait for the Codex. I will mind if it turns out to have been boring and safe and insipid.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

Well, the problem with basing up an HQ is you're effectively extending their aura. Whether 8mm really matter is certainly debatable and I am personally all about basing models in the way that makes them look coolest. But in a competitive environment, it may be an issue.
Yeah, auras are an issue that didn't exist in the previous editions. I think a change within reason is fine. A single character going from a 32mm to a 40mm definitely isn't a deal-breaker for me and I doubt it would matter much even in a tournament though I can understand why there may be some trepidation. But, whatever, if someone's already converting/proxying a gravis captain, stick to the 40mm base.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I wish GW would start listing base size on datasheets, the website usually has the information but not universally.

E: Also, how bad would Primari torsos look on biker legs?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 31, 2018

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Corrode posted:

VECT SAYS NO

I’m tentatively aware that armies exist that don’t have access to Jinx or Agents of Vect.

I mean it sounds fake, but we have to think about game balance for them too right?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Schadenboner posted:

I wish GW would start listing base size on datasheets.

And generate a facebook autism storm from angry grogs who can't use their square-based early 90's Eldar Avatar? Who would risk that?

Zuul the Cat posted:

I don't think it's a loss of momentum so much as we don't know what's coming next for the first time in a while. Since last summer we've known the next 2-3 codexes at all times, but now Knights looks like a dead-end.

Hopefully they'll say something concrete on the next codexes tomoro.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

xtothez posted:

And generate a facebook autism storm from angry grogs who can't use their square-based early 90's Eldar Avatar? Who would risk that?

I don't think it's a loss of momentum so much as we don't know what's coming next for the first time in a while. Since last summer we've known the next 2-3 codexes at all times, but now Knights looks like a dead-end.

Hopefully they'll say something concrete on the next codexes tomoro.

Everyone knows the next three codexes are Imperial Agents, Khorne Daemonkin and Squats.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I am not surprised the Ork codex hasn't dropped. They lack a bunch of models for options in the index. Hopefully we see a bunch of flash new plastic.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Is anything from the new Knight codex going to apply to Renegade knights? I want to dedicate a cool FW lancer to the appropriate god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

fashionly snort posted:

Is anything from the new Knight codex going to apply to Renegade knights? I want to dedicate a cool FW lancer to the appropriate god.

Nope. Only knight stuff will continue to be in the Chaos Index. GW like leaving money on the table I guess. Even though a chaotic freeblade table and chaotic burden table would be awesome.