Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

This right here, no offense.

My sister in law says "preggy" all the time (both when she was pregnant and when she talks about pregnant animals she treats) and it drives me nuts. Baby talk in general. It's so innocuous so it's hard to get too bothered by it but some terms are like nails on a chalkboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

When people do something that's kinda lovely but not lovely enough that you can call them out on it, so all you can do is side eye them really hard and be angry about it.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

This right here, no offense.

None taken, I don't know why I used it tbh as when I hear it spoken out loud it makes me want to die

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Speaking of pregnancy, questions that only have one socially acceptable answer and are just asked to force you to say it bug me. My pregnant sister in law sent me a picture of her ultrasound and was like "what do you think? Isn't he so cute?". I'm supposed to gush over it and be all excited but it's just a grainy gray picture of a partially formed baby that looks exactly the same as every ultrasound I've seen. I could never say that though without sounding like some kind of dick. You should be able to say "yeah that's an OK looking baby", not every baby is omg the cutest EVER. Some, in fact, are actually quite ugly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All babies look the same to me. I’m gonna have a niece in December and it’s going to take me at least two years to be able to pick her out of a lineup.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Henchman of Santa posted:

All babies look the same to me. I’m gonna have a niece in December and it’s going to take me at least two years to be able to pick her out of a lineup.

I like how Seinfeld handled it, no one actually liked to look at the baby.

I absolutely hate when people have babies and bring them to work and force everyone to look at it. I hide out in the bathroom whenever that happens to avoid baby time.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Speaking of pregnancy, questions that only have one socially acceptable answer and are just asked to force you to say it bug me. My pregnant sister in law sent me a picture of her ultrasound and was like "what do you think? Isn't he so cute?". I'm supposed to gush over it and be all excited but it's just a grainy gray picture of a partially formed baby that looks exactly the same as every ultrasound I've seen. I could never say that though without sounding like some kind of dick. You should be able to say "yeah that's an OK looking baby", not every baby is omg the cutest EVER. Some, in fact, are actually quite ugly.

My best friend in elementary school got a half brother from his dad and stepmom, both of whom were fairly attractive people. That was, hands down, the ugliest child I have ever seen in my life. Even as a newborn, when all babies look the same, that kid was ugly as poo poo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I like how Seinfeld handled it, no one actually liked to look at the baby.

I absolutely hate when people have babies and bring them to work and force everyone to look at it. I hide out in the bathroom whenever that happens to avoid baby time.

I'm sure if I call him "breathtaking" they'll remember the reference and get offended.

The worst is the endless amount of "want to hold him?" No, not really. If it was mine, fine, I'd deal with it but when I'm holding someone else's baby I'm just thinking about how I'm probably going to drop it and treat it like a ticking time bomb that is going to puke on me at any moment. I kind of feel the same way if someone puts a bird on me. The whole time I just tense up and am like "please don't poo poo on me please don't poo poo on me".

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Other people's babies suck because they'll be weirded out if I do normal, my-own-baby things, like nibbly-wubbling that widdle tum-tum or kissy-wissy footie-nums. I mean for fucks sake

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The word "cosplay". Where does the "play" come into it? It's just dressing up in a costume to go to an event. There's already a term for that and it's called wearing fancy dress. Why does this word exist?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's because it comes from Japan and they like making English portmanteaus, and specifically wanted a word to differentiate what cosplay is from costume balls and stuff like that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

The word "cosplay". Where does the "play" come into it? It's just dressing up in a costume to go to an event. There's already a term for that and it's called wearing fancy dress. Why does this word exist?

It's kind of a form of theater. Like how you "play" a character on stage cosplay is often more than just dressing up. Often people will endeavor to act like the character too. I've never been to a con but looking at pictures it looks like they're also just "playing" as in "having a goofy fun time."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tiggum posted:

I assumed it was playing dress-up, or playing make believe hence costume play.

I'm confused by the whole thing. I get the fun of making stuff and sharing your passions. But hauling all that stuff along (especially the big impressive costumes) to a convention. Getting it all on (especially complex make up or body paint) so that you can stand around and have people take your picture is lost on me. If they enjoy it great, but I'm not seeing the huge appeal.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sociopastry posted:

When people do something that's kinda lovely but not lovely enough that you can call them out on it, so all you can do is side eye them really hard and be angry about it.

I will try to post better but let’s be honest we all know I’m not capable of it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

I assumed it was playing dress-up, or playing make believe hence costume play.

I'm confused by the whole thing. I get the fun of making stuff and sharing your passions. But hauling all that stuff along (especially the big impressive costumes) to a convention. Getting it all on (especially complex make up or body paint) so that you can stand around and have people take your picture is lost on me. If they enjoy it great, but I'm not seeing the huge appeal.

The appeal is attention and acceptance. When else are you going to be snapping pictures of a pasty anime-obsessed shut-in for reasons other than to make fun of them?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I mean, I'm a former theater kid who just likes looking for an excuse to dress up in a costume and act silly for a bit. I don't cosplay, but if I actually had the drive to sew poo poo again and the money to go to conventions I'd be all over it just for fun. As it is, Halloween is the only other excuse you get as an adult, and that's just once an year.

Sometimes you just want to be someone else for a little bi-- wow, that sounds unnecessarily depressing. It's just a hobby.

That reminds me, my pet peeve is all the hobbies I've started and fallen out of because I get depressed or obsessive over making things "perfect" even though I'm a novice and suddenly drawing/sewing/painting/knitting/embroidery just doesn't seem fun anymore. It's like I can't enjoy doing things just to do them, at least not for longer than a month. :smith:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My sister had a daughter in February, and my family keeps guilting me into driving almost two hours to see her. I'm apparently supposed to be excited to be a first-time uncle, but man that kid is boring. All she does is sleep and puke and cry. It's not like she's even going to remember me being around this early in her life, so who the gently caress cares?

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
People that just won’t answer a question. Like they’ll respond, but just not answer.

Me: Heya. I was going to run out to Starbucks. Do you want me to pick you up anything?
Them: I’m going to have lunch at 2pm. You see I got caught behind a school bus coming in, so I was a little late to the 9am meeting, and with the cops around here :bravo2:
Me: I’m just going to pick up a latte. Would you like me to get one for you?
Them: All things considered, and given the sentiment of things... :bravo2:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

artsy fartsy posted:

Not exactly a peeve, but something I am completely baffled by all the time: the fact that more women don't use birth control pills to eliminate having a period.

I have very recently started having seizures on the last day of my period. When I went to the hospital (twice), I informed literally every medical professional that came into my room that this is what was happening, and I asked them if it was normal/common/ever-heard-of for women to have seizures on the last day of their periods, and I was told by every one of them that it was not a thing. I quit weed and I stopped using tampons, thinking that I was giving myself TSS, and then lo and behold after Googling "menstrual seizures" I found out that there was a thing called catamenial epilepsy which appears to be exactly what I'm suffering from.

So I should probably use BC to eliminate having periods in an effort to save my brain and/or life. Hmm.

Iron Crowned posted:

Babies are kind of the worst.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You should be able to say "yeah that's an OK looking baby", not every baby is omg the cutest EVER. Some, in fact, are actually quite ugly.

I know someone who has a months-old niece that looks exactly like a cross between Bob Hoskins and Anthony LaPaglia. It's fascinating.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Initio posted:

People that just won’t answer a question. Like they’ll respond, but just not answer.

I caught a scene of Donnie Brasco where he's in the car with an older Mafioso and the older guy would just not give a straight answer to any question, including "do you want the window down". I get it's on purpose but the two characters were just talking past each other and it was infuriating to watch.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Parasol Prophet posted:

That reminds me, my pet peeve is all the hobbies I've started and fallen out of because I get depressed or obsessive over making things "perfect" even though I'm a novice and suddenly drawing/sewing/painting/knitting/embroidery just doesn't seem fun anymore. It's like I can't enjoy doing things just to do them, at least not for longer than a month. :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I have a similar but different thing where my interests go in a huge circle, from art to music to writing to baking... I'll get really into one of these things only to bottom out completely after a few weeks, at which point I move on to whatever interests me more. This is a great way to start dozens of projects that go nowhere.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
People who pronounce the word "moustache" as "moustosh."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've read old-timey books and when they describe Poirot having "mustaches" I don't know what to picture.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Driving down a road with multiple lanes. Oh, I need to change lanes! Hmm yes that space is adequate and I turn my signals on.

Then whoever is in the car behind that space immediately stomps on the gas to prevent entry into the space.

People that drive like assholes just get my blood pressure up in general but that there is the worst. I see it all the drat time.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who don't use basic common sense and then get angry and belligerent.

If you don't stop at the desk to sign in for your appointment, they're not gonna automatically know you showed up! And then don't berate the front desk for your own stupidity!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've read old-timey books and when they describe Poirot having "mustaches" I don't know what to picture.
Maybe this?

Well, you will now! :buddy:

(sorry)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A "wrong password" message that says "There was a problem authenticating, please try again later."

"try again later" says "do the same thing again when our service isn't borked," not "you did the wrong thing" which is what it means

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Parasol Prophet posted:

I hate to give unsolicited advice ~*~*BUT*~*~ I got some good advice for this same thing:

So what if you quit after a while? Do what's fun anyway :peanut:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Yeah, but then I have all these art supplies and a sewing machine collecting dust until I decide that I maybe kind of want to give it a try again! ... And the cycle continues.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Parasol Prophet posted:

Yeah, but then I have all these art supplies and a sewing machine collecting dust until I decide that I maybe kind of want to give it a try again! ... And the cycle continues.

So what?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I do the same thing and tbh I don't mind that about myself at all. I get a bit obsessed with things and research like gently caress so I have like decent laymans knowledge about a whole bunch of things, small animal care was one, gluten free baking, nutrition when I was losing weight, makeup and Korean skincare, now I've gotten into weightlifting so a nice broad scope. Makes for a more well rounded person!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do Google products keep getting worse. I used to love using Google News because it let you block lovely news sources and topics and let you get rid of sections you don't give a gently caress about like sports. With the new update you can't do any of that so I'm inundated with news about the royal wedding and fact checking whether Kanye West did something. I don't think anything from a site called "Gossip Cop" is newsworthy so stop promoting stories about which celebrities are dating to my drat news feed, assholes.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You can still hide sources, they just made it so the button is invisible until you hover over the source name. Gotta have as much pointless, empty whitespace as possible!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Sunswipe posted:

People who pronounce the word "moustache" as "moustosh."

How are you with 'tashe?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

You can still hide sources, they just made it so the button is invisible until you hover over the source name. Gotta have as much pointless, empty whitespace as possible!
So many stories just come in with the topic "Trending" and other vague headings, so you can't say "Don't show me any more stories about [Trending Thing You Don't Care About]," but only "Don't show me any more stories from [Otherwise Useful Source]," because that's where the useless article happens to be. I don't want to block the source entirely!

While we're on the subject, I really wish they hadn't gotten rid of "swipe to hide". Why should I have to tap a menu and then tap "Hide this article" on my phone in TYOOL 2018?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Indolent Bastard posted:

How are you with 'tashe?

Sounds like how a toddler would say it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Not a peeve per se, but I really can't understand people wearing jackets when it's 5 billion degrees outside. I can understand it in spring/fall where the day starts out cool and gets warmer but in summer the air is baking as soon as the sun is out. I saw a dude waiting for the bus the other day who was wearing a t-shirt, a hoodie, and a black leather jacket :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

Not a peeve per se, but I really can't understand people wearing jackets when it's 5 billion degrees outside. I can understand it in spring/fall where the day starts out cool and gets warmer but in summer the air is baking as soon as the sun is out. I saw a dude waiting for the bus the other day who was wearing a t-shirt, a hoodie, and a black leather jacket :psypop:

Fortunately I don't know any anymore, but on the other end of the spectrum, the guys (it was always guys) who refused to not wear shorts (and it was always jorts) regardless of the weather. They would insist they like the cold but always start subtly whining about wanting to do something inside if it was under 40 degrees or god forbid snowing. I don't get it, nobody is impressed that you're making yourself uncomfortable on purpose. It is not manly to wear inappropriate clothing for the weather.