Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

gonna say it, I am excited. excited for those first ten to fifteen hours where it's loving amazing and the best thing ever, don't lie. won't so much enjoy the following ten where it tails off into aggressive mediocrity and then never finish it. I'm also excited about the next however many hours I spend beating the poo poo out of it with mods and being a murderhobo who avoids anything resembling plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
New Vegas Nexus: Pipboy 76 - A texture for the pipboy, commemorating the Fallout 76 teaser.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

jfood posted:

gonna say it, I am excited. excited for those first ten to fifteen hours where it's loving amazing and the best thing ever, don't lie. won't so much enjoy the following ten where it tails off into aggressive mediocrity and then never finish it. I'm also excited about the next however many hours I spend beating the poo poo out of it with mods and being a murderhobo who avoids anything resembling plot.

There's some very unsubstantiated rumors that it won't run player mods. Unsubstantiated, but that would make sense for a game with a multiplayer component (also a rumour but from a much more reliable source).

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Anyone being ”ugggh mmo” ESO is way above skyrim as far as getting someone Interested in elder scrolls. Now I dont know what eso was at launch but I started playing january this year and have stacked way more hours on it than skyrim. The size and variability on scenery is amazing compared to skyrim where every dungeon is either copypaste mine/draugr/dwarven ruin.

The writing isnt amazing most of the time but it never stoops as bad as skyrim (Well thieves guild is bad But still not as bad as skyrims) and most of the time the themes are surprisingly grim for such colorful game. Like 7 out of ten sidequests the ending is ”sorry to inform you dear NPC But your mom/spouse/kid was already dead/cultist/sacrifice/daedric playmate by the time I got there”

Also the different races and their cultures get way better presentation than ”this is nord he drink beer” when you can go exploring the world.

so lorewise ESO has done a shitton more on expanding tamriel than skyrim ever did.

So If they decide to MMO fallout yea it sounds bad but it doesnt mean the writing has to be bad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Valtonen posted:

Anyone being ”ugggh mmo” ESO is way above skyrim as far as getting someone Interested in elder scrolls. Now I dont know what eso was at launch but I started playing january this year and have stacked way more hours on it than skyrim. The size and variability on scenery is amazing compared to skyrim where every dungeon is either copypaste mine/draugr/dwarven ruin.

The writing isnt amazing most of the time but it never stoops as bad as skyrim (Well thieves guild is bad But still not as bad as skyrims) and most of the time the themes are surprisingly grim for such colorful game. Like 7 out of ten sidequests the ending is ”sorry to inform you dear NPC But your mom/spouse/kid was already dead/cultist/sacrifice/daedric playmate by the time I got there”

Also the different races and their cultures get way better presentation than ”this is nord he drink beer” when you can go exploring the world.

so lorewise ESO has done a shitton more on expanding tamriel than skyrim ever did.

So If they decide to MMO fallout yea it sounds bad but it doesnt mean the writing has to be bad.

You don't find the massively multiplayer bit immersion breaking?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
MMO's are bad, actually.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Video games were a mistake.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and Fallout 4 are all beloved games, what are you nerds even talking about? Also, so are Fallout 1 and 2.

People like Fallout, lots of people, it's a huge widely known franchise that many people enjoy.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I look back on 4 with a lot of mixed feelings. They killed dialogue and sense of character that 1 and 2 had down so well.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and Fallout 4 are all beloved games, what are you nerds even talking about? Also, so are Fallout 1 and 2.

People like Fallout, lots of people, it's a huge widely known franchise that many people enjoy.

people that like fallout dont get to the cloud district very often imo

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Rinkles posted:

You don't find the massively multiplayer bit immersion breaking?

Actually not that much. Chat is easy to ignore and at least my character isnt yelling ”SHAUN” to everyone he/she meets.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Since there's an Illinois license plate on ED-E, I wonder if that means we'll see a DLC for 76 that sends you there (since it's not that far removed from Virginia) and see what the Enclave is up to in the early days of the US being a radioactive hellhole

Heck, we may even get to go to Chicago

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Valtonen posted:

Yeah, having heard some truly dire stuff about it on release, I was practically guilt tripped into trying it a few weeks ago by a friend who bought me a copy, but I've found it very fun. There's a main quest with a famous actor slumming it in VA work which you can totally ignore, you can go pretty much wherever you want, every town has quests in it, and those quests are fully voiced and haven't seen a single one yet that was "kill x monsters". There's questlines for the fighters and mages guilds, and while you can't interact with everything, you can still break into people's houses and steal cabbages from their kitchens if you're into that. The Morrowind expansion also did a decent job of hitting the nostalgia pipe hard--even if the distances between cities were massively condensed, walking through Seyda Neen and Balmora were a real treat for me.

It does feel a little silly when you end up in a cave with another player, clearly on the exact same quest, but it feels totally normal to pass other players on the road or see them in cities, after all the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild are things in that world, so there should be plenty of adventurers about. I don't need to interact with internet randos on my single player adventures, which is fine by me.

Honestly if 76 is going to be online I'd rather an MMO which I can basically play as a single player game like ESO over a mandatory grouped up Rust-like. Assuming pure single player is off the table anyway.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol if you don't like TESO

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Rinkles posted:

There's some very unsubstantiated rumors that it won't run player mods. Unsubstantiated, but that would make sense for a game with a multiplayer component (also a rumour but from a much more reliable source).

I saw this "leak" too, also suggested it was a true RPG but with major emphasis on the building utility. The justification in the leak is that it'll be paid/Creation Club only and that Bethesda will say it's due to "unauthorized adult mods" and to prevent credit fraud (?). We'll see, but given how beloved the Fallout modding community is and the fact that the modders basically finish their games for them, this would be incredibly stupid on Bethesda's part.

I guess I'd rather have Fallout Sims than an MMO or MMO hybrid or battle royale, but :effort:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

eso is great

this wont be an mmo though because no one is making mmos anymore

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
All my friends have take me home country roads stuck in their heads and its pretty fun.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Berke Negri posted:

this wont be an mmo though because no one is making mmos anymore

thank christ

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So this is gonna be fallout online right? I can only think of this because how well TESO is doing.

Valtonen posted:

There already was a try at a fallout mmo, it didn't get past just a website phase.

It even had a quote on it, 'The master lives'.

I think it was some companies last try to keep the fallout brand and they failed.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 1, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Stop trying to make MMOs happen. They're not going to happen.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I kinda expect them to make another fallout first because if they tried to release another fallout 4 type game(aka a bad game) as the sequel to skyrim, they would lose some of their crazied fans. Remember elder scrolls before skyrim? How many people actually played them?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

I kinda expect them to make another fallout first because if they tried to release another fallout 4 type game(aka a bad game) as the sequel to skyrim, they would lose some of their crazied fans. Remember elder scrolls before skyrim? How many people actually played them?

Wasn't Oblivion a best seller on 360?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

I'm pretty sure Oblivion was a massive hit.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
eso is very much an mmo and thats about all the good there is to say about it. Its clunky, it has terrible animations for the player characters, the classes are kind of boring and exploration isn't nearly as fun when there are eight billion other nerds bee lining for every single everything as you run around. Also you can't punch everyone you meet in the face.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Oblivion, (Release March 20, 2006)
'The game had shipped 1.7 million copies by April 10, 2006'

Skyrim,
'Within two days of the game's launch, 3.4 million physical copies were sold.'

Big difference there.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 1, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

Oblivion, (Release March 20, 2006)
'The game had shipped 1.7 million copies by April 10, 2006'

Skyrim,
'Within two days of the game's launch, 3.4 million physical copies were sold.'

Big difference there.

The world has changed significantly since the mid 2000s and there are way more people playing games. As far as the market goes Oblivion was a huge hit and Skyrim continued that dominance in an age with more players.

e: It's also worth noting that Oblivion succeeded in spite of itself, given that TES was kind of niche. Skyrim is like the 10th best selling game ever now though thanks to pimp daddy Todd learning how to do sales and marketing and having budget.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 1, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

JBP posted:

The world has changed significantly since the mid 2000s and there are way more people playing games. As far as the market goes Oblivion was a huge hit and Skyrim continued that dominance in an age with more players.

Just more reasoning that they are going to attempt be extra careful not to release a poo poo sequel for elder scrolls.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

Just more reasoning that they are going to attempt be extra careful not to release a poo poo sequel for elder scrolls.

Oh yeah absolutely. I wouldn't be surprised if they're holding back on it until they get a new engine going or something. I expect next to nothing from Fallout, but I actually expect a lot from whatever follows Skyrim.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I played alot of both series so I kinda have high expectations myself. I played daggerfall alot... allllllooot, I didn't get very far in it but played it alot. I never even completed an elder scrolls until oblivion. But oblivion can speak for itself with its game length.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I bounced off Morrowind because it was ugly and cliffrunners can go and get hosed, but Oblivion was extremely my jam.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
MxR just posted a video about some leaks. CC only no mods. With coop not rust like.

https://youtu.be/gSMF3Gt8Im4

Hopefully all fake, but Bethesda goes on the same eternal blacklist if that's confirmed

Azhais fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 1, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Co-op base building pve sounds fine and better than brutal survival garbage to me, though it's still not my game.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

Glazius posted:

So I probably shouldn't mention the script extender mod that lets you export a PC settlement to JSON. Or that it interacts with Sim Settlements to create city plan files as mini mods anyone can install, even without script extenders, to have settlers build out the plan as the settlement grows.

No. loving. Way.

This is bad for me in the summer. I should be outside.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even if Bethesda was asinine enough to say no mods, there's still going to be some dedicated person out there who knows gamebryo inside and out who will break the system open.

Fallout 4 chat: I'm futzing around with settlements. Is NPC navigation in hangman's alley just straight up broken? Nobody wants to move and Longfellow keeps floating into the sky whenever he walks over the spot where a junk fence used to be.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Send your companions to hangman's ally to die.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

aren't the file structures of creation club poo poo and nexus stuff the exact same? scripts, models, blah blah blah, .esm? there's probably way to mark one valid and the other not, but I don't really see how they'd do that in a way that'd take.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even if Bethesda was asinine enough to say no mods, there's still going to be some dedicated person out there who knows gamebryo inside and out who will break the system open.

Fallout 4 chat: I'm futzing around with settlements. Is NPC navigation in hangman's alley just straight up broken? Nobody wants to move and Longfellow keeps floating into the sky whenever he walks over the spot where a junk fence used to be.

Yes but if the game is truly online it’ll probably do a parity check against your files, see modded files, and not allow you to play. Not to mention removing the ability to load .esp’s in the first place.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Say what you want about Fallout 76's supposed gameplay direction, but the Pip-boy in the trailer is the best design Bethesda has produced so far for the Pip-boy. A slick mix of new and old.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This might already be common knowledge, but I guess there's a terminal in the citadel in FO3 that gives a lot of background on vault 76. It's labeled as in the DC area. There were no real experiments done in that vault. It was more of a control for other experiments. 20 years after the bombs fell, the doors would just open up and everyone would be released to be studied. The date on the pipboy has it at 25 years after. That would definitely make co-op viable by releasing a bunch of vault dwellers into the world all at once, and more importantly, it might give you more freedom in creating your character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

If I remember right, the PipBoy 2000 wasn't wrist mounted at all. It'd be cool to see one of the Vaults have that style. Does it ever explain away why they have different PipBoys in every game?