Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
want that fire lion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

less laughter posted:

Original gen II Fire starter:

weed pikachu

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Blaze-it-ken

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

less laughter posted:

Original gen II Fire starter:

This is legit better than what we got, sorry Cyndaquil line.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All those beta Pokémon designs rule and I hope Game Freak sees the positive reception they’re all getting and puts them into a later gen.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SeANMcBAY posted:

All those beta Pokémon designs rule and I hope Game Freak sees the positive reception they’re all getting and puts them into a later gen.

I'm honestly glad they dumped most of them, but I think they hosed up by passing on Bell Cat. Retcon Chingling into that

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nah, a couple are cool but I see why they dumped most of them.

Like the fire/water staters are just blobs, Not-Blissey is real bad, protogon2 is a lovely corporate reference etc

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Please give me that mustachioed not-Lickilicky as a standalone mon or a split evo.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mr. Funktastic posted:

It’s legit better than Pyroar

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

want that fire lion

:hai:

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Give me big-chin-eel right now

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
there's definitely some in there that were rightfully dumped but man theres also a bunch of absolute bangers and i like some of the proto designs more than their finals

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Some more official information (some of which we've heard before)

The 2-players mode can be used anytime in the game. You can even use that for the whole main storyline if you want.
Wild encounters are exactly the mons you see in the overworld. Want a Clefairy? Just look around until you see one hopping around.
The mobile game GO is not required in order to play this game at all.
You can ride any big mon you want.
Any mon can follow you.
However there's really one brand new pokemon never seen before. It will be revealed eventually.
Mewtwo plays a role in the main story unlike the original games.
This game is confirmed to be most fit for newcomers for the franchise and a younger audience. Thus why it's pretty casual and took away most of complex mechanics.
Pokemon amie-like feature will return.
No breeding mechanics.

And about the main title for next year:
Game Freak has confirmed for now on we will get two kinds of main games: one casual for the newer audience (like Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee) and another for veteran and more experienced gamers (like the 2019 title).
This title won't get any casuality.
It won't have any features or connectivity from GO.
It'll get all features from X/Y/Sun/Moon.
The simplicity of Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is exclusive for it alone. The complex mechanics we love and enjoy will be back in the 2019 title.
Both titles can have several save files. However they don't store save data in the cartridge.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Millions posted:

Please give me that mustachioed not-Lickilicky as a standalone mon or a split evo.

Lickilicky has always been pretty fascinating itself since it looks like a Lickitung pre-evo that for some reason they turned into an evo instead. And now that we know they once had an alternate plan for the evo, it just deepens the mystery.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

That mustache undoubtedly gave it an aura of regal dignity, RIP

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vaah posted:

Give me big-chin-eel right now

It was held back for gen III.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
chin aint big enough

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

That beta Politoed design might have made gen 2 actually playable.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
gettin real fed up with people throwing shade at my boy Mojambo in here.....

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
if he was really ya boy then you would know his name is Mojumbo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God, that little theme park version of Kanto is so fuckin' sad. Iwata is a fuckin' savior.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
I can't even make out the part of the full map that's supposed to be hyper-condensed Kanto, where is it?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Yeah I'm really scratching my head wondering why they dumped this line. The Johto starters are the most boring set and it feels like it was done on purpose.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Momomo posted:

Yeah I'm really scratching my head wondering why they dumped this line.

Because they're too similar to Growlithe and Arcanine. At least a honey badger was wholly unique.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Man it seems like that in the two years between this demo and the release, they scrapped nearly everything.

Some of the mons are cool but a world without Johto would be a sad one, I think. Keeping regions to only being, well, regions, allows stronger theming and continuity in maps and keeps it feeling like you’re really exploring a place.

I also think that gym leader Blue and secret boss Red is a more fun use of cameos. I wish we could have more cameos of player characters and rivals, but they probably don’t want to declare one player character canon over another.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I can't even make out the part of the full map that's supposed to be hyper-condensed Kanto, where is it?

It's the big town with the tower in the corner.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mr. Funktastic posted:

REALLY quick and dirty:

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Christ you're not kidding it really is like a depressing little Kanto theme park, Pallet Town in its entirety is literally big chunk of it. And the rest of the map was really supposed to be Johto or just places they never ended up using?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It was supposed to be pokemon-Japan, so instead of the Kantho and Johto region from Japan being the base for a game each, all of the country but pokemonified.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

IDONTPOST posted:

That beta Politoed design might have made gen 2 actually playable.
I like proto-Politoed because it actually looks like "what if Poliwag but a grown-up frog" whereas the final one is basically just a generic cartoon frog.

The same for proto-Noctowl, really, it looks a lot more like a Hoothoot evolution than the final design ended up doing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And then somewhere along the way, they were like "Hey, let's actually build a world and put effort into our setting." And then Iwata came along and crammed Kanto in there and made it all the better.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So how long until we see a ROM hack with a more fleshed out, polished version of this map with all the beta/unused Pokemon? That might actually sound kind of interesting to play...

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the next one to say something bad about politoed is getting a knuckle sandwich

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So how long until we see a ROM hack with a more fleshed out, polished version of this map with all the beta/unused Pokemon? That might actually sound kind of interesting to play...

It might be a while - the trainers in this one are pretty dormant, none of the caves actually work and a lot of other placeholder stuff. There's a lot of work to do to turn this into a fully playable game, this is some pre-alpha poo poo cause you can't even get from start to finish legit in this one.

Speedrun when :v:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

sharrrk posted:

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

sharrrk posted:

Regular Politoed is an ugly disgusting abomination and will never be used again now that Pelipper makes it rain.

Most gen 2 Pokémon are really loving bad, these beta ones woulda been a lot better.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Funktastic posted:

The original plan was to translate and release something in a month's time that would be able to be explored.

Re: Misty Elite Four
https://twitter.com/helixchamber/status/1002159087289880579

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Giovanni Joey would be good though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

IDONTPOST posted:

Regular Politoed is an ugly disgusting abomination and will never be used again now that Pelipper makes it rain.

Most gen 2 Pokémon are really loving bad, these beta ones woulda been a lot better.

he's cute frog, dumbass

- sharrrk

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All Pokémon are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zedd posted:

It was supposed to be pokemon-Japan, so instead of the Kantho and Johto region from Japan being the base for a game each, all of the country but pokemonified.

Honestly this would be a cool idea for a region and the parts that Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Shinnoh are based off of can be like the Kanto town in Sun/Moon. It would also be a good excuse to introduce regional variants from outside the region, say like the area around Kantown has Kantonian pokemon forms.