Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Saw Solo, liked it, not surprised it's not pulling in boatloads of money. Like Rogue One it appeals to the part of me that watches old movie marathons on TV for background noise, rather than the theater blockbuster. In this case, a certain style of westerns. Maul was way too heavy of a sequel hook though, they should've kept him cloaked. There was probably a contractual obligation to get a lightsaber into the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
So, L3's fate is horrible, right? The droid revolutionary is reduced to a mute tool, then her partner trades her away in a card game to an rear end in a top hat. It seems a little grim compared to the rest of the movie.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Angry Salami posted:

So, L3's fate is horrible, right? The droid revolutionary is reduced to a mute tool, then her partner trades her away in a card game to an rear end in a top hat. It seems a little grim compared to the rest of the movie.

And the movie kinda treats her droid rights stuff as a punchline. The whole thing with that character is weird.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Then you've got the flirtatious banter between her and Lando and his unrequited love (possibly?) and his despair at her death and what even was the film going for?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Completion?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And then after they establish that she lives in the ship now Han just comes along with an "I'll treat her right"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
You'd think Lando would be like okay, cool, now that we're out of the Kessel Run we can unplug L3 from the ship and get her a new body but I guess he forgot

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Lando Calrissian became pals with Lobot and forgot that L3-37, the British hacker lady robot, became yesterday’s news. This will all be covered in the Lobot movie, y’see.

Directed by a cream cheese danish.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gonz posted:

Lando Calrissian became pals with Lobot and forgot that L3-37, the British hacker lady robot, became yesterday’s news. This will all be covered in the Lobot movie, y’see.

Directed by a cream cheese danish.

I'd put money in Lobot being L3 in the new continuity.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for the Falcon to transform into Megamaid and start sucking up robots to save them from their slavery

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I can’t wait for Boba Fett to put a down payment on his space Corvette. Gotta cram as many references into these movies as possible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dave Syndrome posted:

So far we have no NuCanon source claiming Fett survived the Sarlacc, do we?
Even in the Aftermath books, where we see some guy on Tatooine buying a set of battle (and stomach acid) damaged Mandalorian armor, it never mentions Fett's fate explicitly.
My bet is his survival will either be revealed in the Fett movie or the media leading up to it. Depending how close after ROTJ the Resistance TV show is set, we might even see him in there.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they'll revive his rear end from the dead.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they'll revive his rear end from the dead.

No! There's no way for a futuristic bounty hunter with guns and a jetpack to escape a hole!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Kind of weird they implied Lando was loving that robot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Not loving the robot, she wanted to keep it professional. Wanted to gently caress the robot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure she said "I need you to do that thing to me " and Lando fave this bizarre look

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure she said "I need you to do that thing to me " and Lando fave this bizarre look

Talking about servos acting up. That was referencing a massage, not sex.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Pretty sure that's robot code for grease my circuits

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Just watched the movie, and I read it as: Lando cares for L3 and occasionally repairs/tweaks her circuits when they're acting up.
She sees it as much more than that and has convinced herself that Lando is madly in love with her and that the circuit tweaking is in fact his desperate attempt at physical closeness / ersatz sex. Her whole "girls talk" scene with Qi'ra smacks of self-delusion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Pretty sure he fucks that robot

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
lando is a freak, next question

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dave Syndrome posted:

Just watched the movie, and I read it as: Lando cares for L3 and occasionally repairs/tweaks her circuits when they're acting up.
She sees it as much more than that and has convinced herself that Lando is madly in love with her and that the circuit tweaking is in fact his desperate attempt at physical closeness / ersatz sex. Her whole "girls talk" scene with Qi'ra smacks of self-delusion.

I would agree on the surface, but his reaction when she went down speaks to his feelings for her being a lot deeper than his "well I WOULD get her wiped but it's not worth the hassle of re-uploading the navmaps" attitude would suggest. Whether he realized that or not before she died is up to the viewer.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
cant wait for the lando spinoff

his new robopal will be r2#metoo

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Food Boner posted:

Close thread, goldmine.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Help me out thread. I swear I've seen another movie or maybe read a book with a similar basic plot: "Young couple in shady circumstances gets separated, when they get back together years later, the girl has risen to a position of importance in said shady organization." Any ideas?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Davethulhu posted:

Help me out thread. I swear I've seen another movie or maybe read a book with a similar basic plot: "Young couple in shady circumstances gets separated, when they get back together years later, the girl has risen to a position of importance in said shady organization." Any ideas?

The Great Gatsby

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Food Boner posted:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

The Great Gatsby

Qi'Ra is Gatsby, Han is Nick Carraway, Beckett is Jordan Baker, and the green light is Darth Maul's lightsaber. The Millenium Falcon is the boat that beats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Fun movie. Darth Maul is loving stupid however, and I'm really trying to understand why this and TLJ (let's have Mark Hamill as the original loving space hero Luke Skywalker say, with a completely loving straight face, "Darth Sideous") feel the need to reference the prequels.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because there’s a lot of children who are money making age who grew up with the prequels

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Better than Rogue One, not as good as Force Awakens or Last Jedi.

Emilia Clarke was great for the opening scenes on Corellia and then was terrible.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Milky Moor posted:

You'd think Lando would be like okay, cool, now that we're out of the Kessel Run we can unplug L3 from the ship and get her a new body but I guess he forgot

It wasn't L3 it was just a bit of her nav computer plugged into the Falcon computer. It's like you're dead but they put your sic playlist making skills into an MP3 player.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

The first time you get a full view of her hips, I leaned over to my buddy in the theater and said "lando busted that poo poo wide open"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Did you immediately gently caress or wait till after

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I almost choked on my popcorn at that Teras Kasi reference. A video game site I follow played it a few months ago and it gets mentioned in relation to other fighting games every few weeks.

I liked the movie but yeah, I fully believe that it will be the worst performing. It answers so many questions that no one had or cared about. No one cared about Han’s last name or the specific hand that he won the Falcon with.

The marauder whose name I can’t remember has an insanely cool mask. That’s my takeaway from this movie.

I loved what the clone wars and especially Rebels did with Maul, and it was neat to see him, but why did he have to pull the lightsaber out? Dumb.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I imagine the Maul cameo would've worked better had he remained shrouded like Sidious and you'd only recognize the voice, leaving new fans to speculate out the wazoo and those who kept up with the lore to raise our eyebrows and wonder how he got back into the underworld after Sidious cleaned house and crushed everything he owned

Granted, I guess that's better than imagining Maul pulling a Luke and living on Malachor for ~15 years before the Rebels came calling

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Fun movie. Darth Maul is loving stupid however, and I'm really trying to understand why this and TLJ (let's have Mark Hamill as the original loving space hero Luke Skywalker say, with a completely loving straight face, "Darth Sideous") feel the need to reference the prequels.

The prequels "happened". Like many embarrassing things from the past, we can move on, but not "too" much because things in the future are primarily because of things that happened in the past. I loathe the prequels, even having grew up with them. But I like the references. Canto Bright, despite being a non-starter of an arc, was cool because it was an aesthetic straight out the prequels in a OT focused story. And Maul doesn't bother me too much since he got good development and died a fleshed out and sympathetic character (and not just a goddamn action figure or insert for Jedi Academy PC mods). The prequels had a weird tone, so anything to make them seem more in-universe than they were at the time is a good thing.

I just think it's goddamn ridiculous that Han had to deal with Maul's machinations. It shrinks an already tiny universe into an elevator sized bubble. Everyone is like 1 or 2 degrees removed from the Emperor, Anakin, or the Trio. And that's bleggghhh.....

Space Edit 2 The Edit Strikes Back: I loved Teras Kasi as a kid with way too many games and not enough insight into what actually sucked and what was actually good. It also gave me Leia with a double bladed lightsaber waaay before Maul ran that poo poo directly into the ground. And Han's instant stun pistol whip. So there's that. :unsmith:

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 1, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mauls only recognizable features are he’s red, has horns and a double sided lightsaber. He’s got nothing else

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
im just so tired of all these star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Enfys Nest is just Destiny Fallen Captain armor.