Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Has anyone run the numbers on how many hatches are needed in the ranch to support a coal generator running full-time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Dogen posted:

Check the discord channel, the guys there are good at updating the announcements. I’d look but I’m on stupid vacation.

Can you repost a link? The one in the OP has expired.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Had a map with 2 gold geysers, building my entire base out of gold metal tiles was amazing each tile generates the same decor as a masterpiece painting in a 3 tile radius meaning my dupes were happy 24/7.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Had a map with 2 gold geysers, building my entire base out of gold metal tiles was amazing each tile generates the same decor as a masterpiece painting in a 3 tile radius meaning my dupes were happy 24/7.

i had a magma geyser near mine that i accidentally unearthed

there goes that game...

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

i had a magma geyser near mine that i accidentally unearthed

there goes that game...

Have not found a use for those at all, I tried to make some sort of steam power setup with them but the temps were never right just seems like a huge trap that makes a chunk of the map unusable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Have not found a use for those at all, I tried to make some sort of steam power setup with them but the temps were never right just seems like a huge trap that makes a chunk of the map unusable.

Yeah

I did notice though that almost all geysers (except oil) have a neutronium base which is always absolute zero so it shows as blue in the temp overlay.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

My hope is that in a future update they will allow us to manipulate geysers somehow. Change their dormancy period, output temperature, etc. As it is, it is kinda random. Maybe you get screwed on a water source, maybe they are all water sources, mybe you get magma ones all over the place so your map is hosed.

Related to this, I have been having trouble with the infamous heat death. What is the accepted solution for this: weezeworts and the machine that you can find in the ice biome? I was doing more or les swell, survived the normal initial crisis (food -build a fridge, it really helps-, oxygen, water). But then I discovered a couple of hot water sources, and that combined with my oxygen generators have started dooming my base and greenhouse section. I tried wrapping everythin in insulating tiles but it still seems to not be good enough.

Has anyone been experimenting with critter variants? I can understand some of them (dreckos, puffers), but what is the point to the hatch and shinebug ones? Also where are my goddamn morp variants devsssss.

Do we know what the next update will include? I am really enjoying the early access here. I play for a while, get bored, new update comes out, play it to see the new stuff, repeat. I'm still not so sure about the jobs update tho, it is just a bunch of busywork for some minor bonuses and ever increasingly demanding dupes.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
If you use polluted water as a heat sink using the thermo aquatuner until it reaches ~100C and then feed it into a sieve for the fixed 40C output, that is an enormous heat deletion that should help with the geyser problems. Could also continue heating it until it 'boils', generating clean water and dirt, and then feed it into an electrolyzer for 95C -> 70C gas.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Here is a set of guides that can help with that.

Also the radiant pipes coming on Thursday might help as well, I'm getting ready to run an experiment with them (noting even after 650 hours I barely know what I am doing).

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Looking at the ONI forums over on Klei (which I would heartily recommend not doing), I thing it was mostly down to them changing some of the heat transfer formulas. They did it to improve radiant pipes, but in the process broke insulation for everything else.

Seems like it has been changed back now? I was surprised when I started getting overheating all over the place less than 100 cycles in, when it had never been a problem in any of my other playthroughs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Apparently (!) you need to use abyssalite in insulated pipes and all will be fine. I haven't tried it yet, but with the new sandbox option it's fairly easy to experiment.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lorini posted:

Here is a set of guides that can help with that.

Also the radiant pipes coming on Thursday might help as well, I'm getting ready to run an experiment with them (noting even after 650 hours I barely know what I am doing).

Nice, common design patterns link seems useful. I didn't know you could use polluted water for metal refinery!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Nice, common design patterns link seems useful. I didn't know you could use polluted water for metal refinery!

Use oil as it needs to be heated to refine anyway.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

From a list of today's patch:

quote:

Thermal conductivity is now a log-average instead of an average
So that may change the heat situation. I'm not smart enough to do all the fancy cooling many folks do, I just stick stuff in the ice biome and hope :).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Use oil as it needs to be heated to refine anyway.

What do you mean by "needs to be heated"? Isn't oil already super hot since it comes from deep down?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

enraged_camel posted:

What do you mean by "needs to be heated"? Isn't oil already super hot since it comes from deep down?

Oil generates around 80-100C. I think what socialsecurity means is heating to the breakpoints for direct 1:1 conversion to petroleum and natural gas.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

But Not Tonight posted:

Can you repost a link? The one in the OP has expired.

https://discord.gg/EBncbX2

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Haha I found a magma geyser in the middle of an ice biome. Fortunately, it was slow to wake up and I'd surrounded it with insulating tiles before it erupted. I mouse over it every so often - 800C rock just sitting there in a little pocket.

For folks with overheating bases, if you build your electrolyzers in the cold biome, you can use radiant pipes (or regular ones made out of wolframite or obsidian) to start radiating heat away. Pass the pipes through cold water and that can soak up a ton of heat. If you've got decent power, use a couple Thermo Regulators to drop the gas temperature way down and then use insulated pipes to get the cold air into your base.

For a water well in the middle of your base one sneaky trick is to build an ice sculpture underwater. It almost immediately melts and dumps 400kg of cold water into the well. Do that a couple times and you can drag the temperature down a ways.

Other folks have pointed out that if you use an Aquatuner, put it into a pool of polluted water so it raises the temp there and then pipe that hot water up to a pincha pepper farm, or into something that doesn't care about temps like lavatories or showers or whatever.

Managing heat is such a tricky part of the game. One thing I learned to my sorrow lately is that you need to get alternative energy sources to coal going sooner, rather than later. Coal will run out unless you get a huge Hatch farm going so it's best to get some natural gas generators ticking along to help take up the strain and reduce your reliance on coal. Hydrogen is fussy - it's hard to get enough in one place for it to work for very long. On the other hand, you can use it pretty well with a self-powered oxygen machine (SPOM) to generate O2 and enough H2 to power itself.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Can you post a couple of images of this working?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

God drat, Klei needs to become more consistent with regards to their releases of patch previews. I love the company and their games, but hate the amateurish, laissez-faire style with which they manage their games.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Test patch is out finally:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That Egg Cracker is going to be a godsend.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
How dare they fix all the exploits I was using to supercompress gasses and liquids!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The vacuums will be the way we deal with heat, I guess.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

curious how that's going to work, unless you want to vent chlorine or CO2

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

What did they change? The absolutely ludicrous amount of heat that polluted water can soak up? Even if you can't straight up delete heat by running it through a sieve, thermal aquatuner boiling should still provide plenty of cooling.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
With the added surface biome, couldn't you just delete heat by venting out hot gas directly?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

With the added surface biome, couldn't you just delete heat by venting out hot gas directly?
yes, but a) gas is finite and 2) what gas are you going to use that isn't used for something else

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Elizabethan Error posted:

yes, but a) gas is finite and 2) what gas are you going to use that isn't used for something else

Gas isn't finite with the new vent types added last patch.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Without a refrigeration cycle you can't really do anything more than vent whatever is already poo poo hot unless you just want to meet in the middle and then have everything just tepidly overheating as you vent what you consider the working gas. I guess maybe as a precooler so it's not straining your point heat sinks.

E. Or maybe cross fingers and hope the vacuum source means we can expose liquid to vacuum and it cools off while losing mass or some other approximation of cooling tower mechanics or evaporation

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 31, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i was thinking that the """physics""" model would just have you running loops of thermally conductive pipe outside

that you'd then be continuously repairing from meteorstrike

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
How do you cut through a slime biome to get to the (say ice) on the other side before you get exosuits? If I build tiles through it it seems my guys spend all their time disinfecting the tiles.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

How do you cut through a slime biome to get to the (say ice) on the other side before you get exosuits? If I build tiles through it it seems my guys spend all their time disinfecting the tiles.

Go absolutely nuts with the deodorizers and let the germ count die down before expanding a bit more. Plain old oxygen kills slimelung so if you replace the atmosphere, you can get down to a count in the hundreds or thousands instead of hundreds of thousands. Keep the number of dupes actually mining the area relatively limited and prefer ones with strong immune systems to just face tank the germs so you only need to put one or two dupes in the med bay if the number of germs overwhelms them.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok, but the air is relatively clear of germs, it’s the tile surface that keeps getting germs from the slime underneath it. Will oxygen in the air decontaminate the tile?

Edit: also the sick I can handle, it’s all the wasted time disinfecting that’s the annoying part (without micromanaging priorities).

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I haven't had too much trouble with disinfecting either although it may be related to something like a strategy of mining out exposed slime rather than leaving it in place. If the slime is still there it'll probably still transfer germs elsewhere.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Ok, but the air is relatively clear of germs, it’s the tile surface that keeps getting germs from the slime underneath it. Will oxygen in the air decontaminate the tile?

The slimelung only matters if it gets in the air. If they're surface germs, they don't actually get *in* the duplicants, and any washing station/sanitizer will clear them up. Slimelung only matters if it gets into the air, which happens when you have polluted oxygen (PO2). PO2 encourages/allows slimelung to live or thrive, which allows your dupes to breathe in the infected polluted oxygen (iPO2). If they breathe in more germs than their immune systems can counter, that's when they get sick. Any other gas (including normal O2), liquid or surface will actually kill slimelung, albeit slowly. This means filling areas with deodorizes is a cheap method that works wonders.

iPO2 is generated one of two ways: iPO2 geysers or via digging up slime. Slime tiles are harmless, but once you dig up the tile the slime starts to slowly sublimate, generating iPO2. Which means you either need to use it (distilling it to algae and/or using to to feed mushroom farms) or store it safely (storage containers totally submerged in water prevent its the slime from sublimating, or in chlorine gas which kills any germs). Other than that just expand kinda slowly.

As a side note, polluted water also slowly evaporates to PO2, but it's not infected, just normal stinky fart-air. Also you really don't need to worry about the germs in polluted water unless you're using it for sinks. If you clean it you can just use the infected normal water just fine in toilets, as coolant, or feed it to plants (provided it's cold, water comes out of sieves at 40C and bristleberries wither if they get above 29.9C) since the plants kill the germs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That all makes sense, but isn’t really what’s bugging me. Let’s say I have a ... 25 grid tiled tunnel going through the slime area. In that span there will be four or five tiles (with slime directly underneath) that dupes will run to and disinfect three or four times per cycle.

Should I make it so there is no slime touching any tiles?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That all makes sense, but isn’t really what’s bugging me. Let’s say I have a ... 25 grid tiled tunnel going through the slime area. In that span there will be four or five tiles (with slime directly underneath) that dupes will run to and disinfect three or four times per cycle.

Should I make it so there is no slime touching any tiles?

That's one method. Or you can simply forbid those tiles from being disinfected.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Alkydere posted:

That's one method. Or you can simply forbid those tiles from being disinfected.

One. Tile. At. A. Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh dammit. I forgot about the disable disinfect button.