Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
edge is a way better browser than chome or failfox so that's pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Don't those both have native GPO support now too?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Don't those both have native GPO support now too?
yeah, firefox literally just got it

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

edge is a way better browser than chome or failfox so that's pretty good

Wrong. Edge is pure garbage. Chrome doesn't lag all the time and actually stays in fullscreen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:chome:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

today in microsoft skype is awful: I can't send images from Skype on MacOS X to Skype for Business on Windows 10 because of ???

Also remote desktop app also by ms on macos doesn't allow cmd + m for minimize because :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ms laid off their xbox support team and replaced them with volunteer "ambassadors"

quote:

Xbox Ambassadors also deal with inquiries via an online chat tool, and are rewarded for their efforts via leaderboards, which then dispense XP as well as entries to prize competitions. The program is set up like a game, with “missions” and sweepstakes prizes.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/29/17406254/microsoft-layoffs-twitter-support-xbox-ambassadors

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

wow lol. this is why MS is cool again

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why have a support team for the least successful part of your business when you don't have QA for your most used product? assuming of course windows is the most used microsoft product, i could be wrong

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah this isn’t even that dumb of a decision, gamers are dumb as hell and will do work for Skinner box rewards, it’s just more penny-wise pound foolishness

e. laying the foundations for future problems, today

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 29, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

ms laid off their xbox support team and replaced them with volunteer "ambassadors"

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/29/17406254/microsoft-layoffs-twitter-support-xbox-ambassadors

didn't some mmo get into trouble with violating labor laws when they "hired" volunteer GMs or some such?

wait, trump is president, nevermind

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna volunteer for one of those support jobs and then gently caress with customers and tell them how to hack their consoles for free games.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys you cheap fucks

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm gonna volunteer for one of those support jobs and then gently caress with customers and tell them how to hack their consoles for free games.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys you cheap fucks

doing volunteer work as microsoft customer support person to own the libs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people are trying to say it's not really true because the staff worked for an outside company, not knowing that like 1/3 of microsoft's workforce is contractors, consultants or vendors

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Boiled Water posted:

today in microsoft skype is awful: I can't send images from Skype on MacOS X to Skype for Business on Windows 10 because of ???

Also remote desktop app also by ms on macos doesn't allow cmd + m for minimize because :shrug:

Use the feedback thing and send them a suggestion. They actually follow up on those surprisingly

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

OldAlias posted:

yeah this isn’t even that dumb of a decision, gamers are dumb as hell and will do work for Skinner box rewards, it’s just more penny-wise pound foolishness

e. laying the foundations for future problems, today

If you think that’s bad I know of people that run another man’s online business for free.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
how much power do the volunteers get, e.g. locking or unlocking accounts, etc.?

if the answer is any more than "none" then lmao, evn if you only get privileges after lots of volunteer work, still a great way to mess with people you dont like

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Use the feedback thing and send them a suggestion. They actually follow up on those surprisingly

if that is true, can you suggest that they go gently caress themselves pls

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Wait, you people actually use Windows 10?

Like, of your own volition?

:monocle:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

yes, it’s the best windows

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think it's really nice that they're letting you out of the supervised living facility and letting you all work in the big-boy world!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the lowest of bars

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

the lowest of bars

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Schadenboner posted:

gently caress no, im just here to lol at it being bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
even by windows standards it's a loving piece of poo poo. everything is broken in some fashion or other. what's broken changes from release to release and update to update. it's glaringly obvious no one tests anything. they've made it increasingly clear the os is a conduit for ads and promoted products and if you want it to suck less, just sign up for our enterprise subscription tier

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows 10 is gr8 and works gr8. have not had problems with it but I also don't do "XTREME PERFORMANCE TWEAKS" or install 3rd party start menus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

I also don't do "XTREME PERFORMANCE TWEAKS" or install 3rd party start menus

neither do i and it's still a loving piece of poo poo. at least i know i haven't gone out of my way to make it worse

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

this is just bringing their xbox support in line with the rest of MS support ie. hope some chucklefuck on a forum somewhere had the exact same issue as you and had the decency to post their solution.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

do they include an "MVP" to helpfully suggest you flatten and re-install no matter what the issue is?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

neither do i and it's still a loving piece of poo poo. at least i know i haven't gone out of my way to make it worse

i sadly use winaero tweaker just to turn off cortana and ads because it's simple

not a performance question just me not wanting to use regedit anymore or services.msc or settings or control panel or all of the above

i was cheesed tho when spring creators 1803 came out and the db was corrupted and unfixable for me despite trying everything and the media creation kit required an activation code which you don't use anymore for win10 wtf until i realized there's a generic code, again wtf and then it reactivated and proceeded to install and then install the fixes for 1803 :wtc:

great os v user friendly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

windows still requires a product key, it's just the product key is stored in EFI for OEM systems, not on a sticker. if you use the media creation kit it requires a key for install, but literally any windows 7/8/10 key will work and once it's online it will activate against your hardware ID

re: regedit and services.msc and 3rd party tweaks, the reason you don't touch those is because they will break your install when updating, because you have some unsupported hack that hasn't been tested against. use group policy to make tweaks or don't make tweaks

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

windows still requires a product key, it's just the product key is stored in EFI for OEM systems, not on a sticker. if you use the media creation kit it requires a key for install, but literally any windows 7/8/10 key will work and once it's online it will activate against your hardware ID

re: regedit and services.msc and 3rd party tweaks, the reason you don't touch those is because they will break your install when updating, because you have some unsupported hack that hasn't been tested against. use group policy to make tweaks or don't make tweaks
last time i checked if you go to the microsoft website and ask for an iso, you can't use an oem key, and it will tell you to instead go to your oem for the iso. unless something's changed, if you don't have a windows 7/8/10 key, :filez:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

anthonypants posted:

last time i checked if you go to the microsoft website and ask for an iso, you can't use an oem key, and it will tell you to instead go to your oem for the iso. unless something's changed, if you don't have a windows 7/8/10 key, :filez:

use media creation tool to get an iso, you can install it without a key. however, if you try to use an old key after you've already installed - it won't work. if you use a win7/8 key during installation, it will work.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lightbulb Out posted:

use media creation tool to get an iso, you can install it without a key. however, if you try to use an old key after you've already installed - it won't work. if you use a win7/8 key during installation, it will work.

google for generic windows 10 key posted:

Generic Windows 10 Home TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
Generic Windows 10 Home Single Language 7HNRX-D7KGG-3K4RQ-4WPJ4-YTDFH
Generic WIndows 10 Pro VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Generic Windows 10 Enterprise NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43

works for me and yeah it validates the way it's supposed to after it goes through but the fact that you need to jump through that hoop is dumb

also pretty sure you can no longer find the key short of the efi (don't know how or if that would work) and it changes on upgrade from 7/8

used to be you could extract your own key if you lost the sticker but no more

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Boiled Water posted:

the lowest of bars

tallest midget etc

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

when pleasure kevin stopped posting on so.cl engagement dropped 78%

he’s not kidding

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PleasureKevin posted:

he’s not kidding

:pwn:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

it's funny and immensely annoying that microsoft just do not give a single gently caress about any of your settings and whenever you install a win10 update (or whatever the creator/spring updates are called) they get reset to defaults. couple examples:

• startup configuration for windows services: i dont have a printer so i disable the print spooler service. however sure enough whenever i install an update it's set back to automatic.
  • defrag schedule: this one is a far bigger PITA. i've got several iSCSI LUNs mounted on my machine and as such i disable the scheduled defrag for the volumes. however whenever i install a new update scheduled defrag is just re-enabled for all volumes.

there's probably more examples however those are the only ones i remember. imo the reason this poo poo happens is because microsoft are lazy assholes and don't want to test regression and poo poo for different configurations so they just reset your settings to default

this garbage aside, i've never seen a single ad on my machine once however im not sure if that's because ive got pro or if i changed some setting (or both)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

cheese-cube posted:

this garbage aside, i've never seen a single ad on my machine once however im not sure if that's because ive got pro or if i changed some setting (or both)

Plenty of ads even with Pro. After a fresh install, the start menu is littered with ads for apps and Cortana will bug you regularly to entice you to use it (or connect Spotify to Cortana). And Explorer will bug you about upgrading to a paid OneDrive storage plan if you use it. The lock screen will present ads for new games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lambert posted:

Plenty of ads even with Pro. After a fresh install, the start menu is littered with ads for apps and Cortana will bug you regularly to entice you to use it (or connect Spotify to Cortana). And Explorer will bug you about upgrading to a paid OneDrive storage plan if you use it. The lock screen will present ads for new games.

who's fault is it that you're bad with computers