Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
:siren:
https://youtu.be/Qkq-2D_YBi4

Based on recent experience, the re-climb should reallyi only have one enduring obstacle. The biggest question going in; how long does it take me get past that jump between Orange Hell and the Church. In terms of getting to it, just over 10 minutes was required so I had some trouble but not very much.

You can't get any close without getting on top of the ledge. Getting close doesn't stop anybody from falling back to the playground slide though.

At that point I started struggling with that area, like this meek effort at 15:31.

Soon got past the steps, then floundered a bit on the Five Jumps before pulling this out of the hat at 23:30 on my return to the orange platform. The problem here is that my timing, velocity, vector, everything about jumping was really inconsistent and I didn't have much confidence in it. As a result I screwed this up for the first time, got virtually nothing on the jump and slammed the hammer into the end of the rock, and at that point it's just look out belooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Here's a sequence just before the half-hour point that just showcases the struggles I was having. Finally got a good jump here off the camera, after failing once to get up the steps and then getting back. Here's a good jump, plenty of height and movement to do what I need. A little far right but that's better than the alternative.

Didn't move the hammer over enough to give myself any margin for error, bouncing off the end here.

A chance to save the situation, catching myself in the standard wedge position on the stairs. I can't rotate upwards smoothly though, and bounce my way down and fall. Everything's just off, I don't have the rhythm I need to successfully progress consistently.

Here's something we haven't seen before. This is to the left of the furniture row, and right of the orange platform. You almost have to try to fall down in here. But I did so. Climbed back out, but it's another symptom of the issues I was having. By the by, the previous 8-9 minutes starting at 36 flat is a good microcosm of this play session. Up and down the Five Jumps I went repeatedly before finally scaling them, with all manner of errors manifesting.

I got back to the critical point, and not trusting my jumping I tried to launch off the angled rock here. As you can see though I didn't really launch, the hammer just slipped.

I did do well at not panicking and going with a wild swing once I realized what was happening, and was able to reset for another attempt. That went a little better, but not much.

Fell further this time but just managed to grab a hold here and fling myself back up. You don't often get a third try from this formation, but I actually got a fourth, as the next attempt was basically a carbon copy.

Of course, when the mouse slips like this as you're going back up, it doesn't really help that much. It was clear to me at this point that I just didn't have it on this day. Time to cut my losses. .

** Catastrophic Fall Counter: 124(+3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That was a brutal session, and it started so well! You did the right thing riding the snake, if you'd skipped it it would have nagged at you, as would goons.

Also, y'know when you slipped down the pit after the Five Jumps and caught yourself on that lamp, slithered back up? I think that if you jumped straight up from here

you might be able to hook onto the lamp, and bypass the steps/five jumps. Maybe. Worth a vertical jump to check?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

That one is just way too far. I'd estimate at least 3x as far as you can jump. The shortcut from the top of the one building to the bottom of the stairs ... there I can at least see the stairs even if I'm not good enough to quite get to them. I can't see anything close to that lamp jumping from the boxes.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Fair nuff. At least now I know! :)

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

https://youtu.be/0ZdpfhxT7rQ

Started off better this time. Still a few flubs, but better.

This is just past ten minutes, my first shot at the jump which presently defines my anguish. That's a moving target, but this is the one right now. As you can see it didn't go as planned. Didn't jump high enough and ended up slipping down this rock ...

But the friction allowed me time to reach out and somehow get a firm fulcrum point ...

And voila! Swung up on the first try!! Not the way I planned it, just like the first time I got past this. But I'm taking it.

12:36. I passed the animal's head just fine, but here i screwed up. Made the mistake I have feared on this part, swinging over too hard, too high, too aggressively, and pushed myself off.

Fall could have been a lot worse, but it was pretty bad.

Next try at the jump. I don't if this is 'Swan Formation' or what the heck, but I'm up high enough -- just didn't want to push myself away again and got gun-shy basically, not moving the hammer over to grab the ledge.

Now here's something I never expected. Next attempt proceeded to find me just sitting on this angled rock face. Stable. For several seconds. Far as I know I could have stayed here until the cows came home. But I can't reach up, it's too far, and if I try to push off ... well, I did eventually try, and it didn't go well.

Good jump but couldn't stick the landing, just bouncing off after having grasped the ledge.

Didn't get enough on it the next time, and the dust shows my trying to re-launch off the angled rock, which would admit no firm hold this time. And now I fell all the way down to the playground. Really did quite well for most of the last several minutes, but not well enough. Only three minutes to get back up to the orange platform.

After one vertical bounce, I once again feared pushing off so I didn't reach the hammer over to the right enough to grab the ledge ... and ended up pushing off the end of this anyway. Can't be too timid either as I am demonstrating. I soon made the acquaintance of the orange car atop the dentures above the kiddie slide on my way back down. The next time up is truly worth ... well it's worth showing at least, starting just after 25 minutes.

You must respect the rocks more than this. I tried to rotate up a little too quickly, and my momentum popped me just a bit into the air. It was enough though, and I bounced ...

Then bounced a bit more on the next one thanks to the gravity-enhanced acceleration as I slipped down ...

Well at least I ...

Oh.

The brilliant words 'Don't fall ... doooooonnnnnntttttt' pointlessly emanated from my vocal chords as I headed downwards towards the playground area once more.

Yet another attempt goes begging and I plummett once more. Literally just needed the tiniest bit more height to potentially stick this landing ... instead, I shoved off the very corner.

Struggled for a few minutes after that, but fortunately it didn't last too long. This, just before 42 minutes, doesn't look great but I've just flung myself upwards from the ledge and did it well enough make this attempt stick.

No, no, no. Too passive again. You can't grab the animal head if the hammer never moves far enough right to grab it.

I could seriously have almost landed on the thumb this time. In that sense it was a great jump ... but I shoved off even harder and higher up than before. And fell again.

Not by much, but I made the critical jump here for a second time in a row. That's worth celebrating. Now if I could just not fall again right away ...

That's more like it!

That was the toughest part, it wasn't trivial to finish ascending the church and of course the bats came out to play, but I got past it.

This plateau proved annoying again, but only for a brief while. After a few minutes failing at the Anvil Jump, it was time to call it a day -- but a successful one. Now I was back to safer territory, and figured to return soon to the Bucket Plateau ... with no reptilian dalliances to be entertained this time.

** Catastrophic Fall Counter: 129(+5)

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Careful, that bucket is angled so a good number of misses would send you to the ophidian menace.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

As will be seen, my biggest problem is actually going the opposite way. But yeah, riding the snake once was enough. I'm not interested in repeating the experience.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

https://youtu.be/X0CBt3JskWE

Took several minutes to traverse the anvil jump, all bad attempts until I made it easily on the last attempt. Then a good jump to the first spherical icy rock here, but in pulling myself up to the top I pulled too hard, and nearly threw myself over the other side.

Once again it was the transition from the third to the fourth that did me in. Didn't get much height on this jump and couldn't quite claw my way up. Back down to the rooftop below. Just past nine minutes here. Proceeded then to struggle with getting on the ice plateau. After a few minutes, this sequence really frosted me(pun intended):

Not the best first swing(starts just past 13:30), but I managed to push myself up instead of away at the end of it.

Getting this far up with the hammer should be good enough. Emphasis on should. My arc with the hammer failed me at this point. Instead of rotating upwards, I sort of recoiled, choked up and shoved myself up, but also a bit left.

Not much to the left, but the next swing was just a hair too low and I couldn't grip, just sliding down and off. And so the flailing continued.

Wasn't long before another attempt was foiled, this time by the hat. I got the hammer on top of it but it just slid along the top, and I couldn't grip anything ... back down again. I had some unkind words for this purplish monstrosity. All in all, I spent almost nine minutes ascending the plateau, and proceeded to forcefully remove the hat to avoid a repeat.

Got past the anvil jump right away, but then I got to do it again after wimping out here and not getting enough elevation to grab the next obstacle.

Soon I was back here again where I'd fallen the first time ... and I fell again. Good jump but I was a little too far away when I took off, plus I didn't reach out to quite full extension on the other side. Once again close, but not quite there.

Got back up again, but the jump to the first ball was failed not once, not twice, but three times. Managed to salvage the situation the first couple, but not this one. This 'ball-hopping' section is proving very resistant to my alleged skills. Events proceeded in like manner for a while longer, but at the half-hour mark I finally made it to the fourth rock, correcting the previously-mentioned errors in technique.

Here I almost manage to grab the bucket for the first time. Almost, but I fall off partly because it doesn't stay still. One might expect that given it's a piece of wood attached to the rope, but it's the first object in the game that isn't static. Everything else to this point is predictably solid and it's just a matter of shoving off that immovable, solid resistance in the correct way. The bucket complicates things.

Then when you miss, you get to deal with this. The bucket swings too and fro, sometimes violently. It's hard enough to get a secure hold on the top of it without falling off when it's stationary. When it's doing a trapeze act like this, fughedaboudit.

Here, despite a sizable plateau to work from, I only narrowly avoid falling on an errant jump. The problem I was having here is that it seemed best to jump from the left of the bucket and reach over to it a bit with the hammer. It's not trivial to time it right though, so I started cheating and going to the right too early, while still in the jumping motion, and that often resulted in flinging myself wildly to the side.

After a few minutes I managed a secure hold on the bucket. Carefully balancing myself on top of it reveals what's next here. The rope goes up and over another formation on the right, while on the left there is some type of wooden contraption. That seems to provide the best option for making progress. I can't just launch off the bucket -- that was the original idea but it's obviously not going to provide the solidity needed for a jump.

I fell off after this, but this is the basic idea. Get the bucket swinging from side to side to gain momentum and get closer to the left, then launch myself upwards at the appropriate time to grab that wooden section somehow. That's easier said than done, and it's no small feat to get maintain a hold on the bucket without losing the hammer-grip on it during the to-and-fro action either. But that's the idea.

Here's a rather spectacular moment of fail, just past 42 minutes. I'd misjumped and was trying to get back on the plateau, except I jumped to the right again. A perfectly spaced vector that dropped me between the bucket plateau and the closest rock-ball. And down to the step-hedge.

Strangely enough, proclaiming 'Nooooooo!' once again did nothing to arrest the fall. Yet I keep doing it.

Here's the brillant maneuver of having a good landing spot on the third rock, then flinging myself over it far too violently. The jump was fine. The landing was not. After getting myself up on the anvil plateau(so I don't have to fight with that hat next time), I was through.

** Catastrophic Fall Counter: 128(+4)

So there's now a new target: the bucket-swing onto the wooden ledge. Assuming I can get back there with relative ease, as the ball-hopping is still a struggle. But it's still progress.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Vid isn't showing!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Some moron(I disavow all responsibility for it real or implied) left it set at Private for some reason. Fixed now, thanks for pointing it out. .

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Did we skip a video? Last one ended with you reaching the anvil, then this one you talked about your experiences with the bucket at the start.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Good catch. I've double-checked my files and I think what happened is that one session just flat-out didn't record. It isn't much different than this one to be frank so you aren't missing much. Similar mistakes on all parts IIRC. But there definitely is one missing, which I regret even if there isn't anything new in it. :( Most likely problem is that I was switching to using OBS for the software side and pushed the wrong hotkey or somesuch brilliance.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

https://youtu.be/o5hu0RUsBoY

As discussed right at the start of the video, I replaced my mouse a few days before recording this. The session in this update is from about a week and a half after the previous one, so I was both rusty and still adjusting to the new critter. Had to be done though, the original tool was just worn out and broken.

Took a few tries on the anvil jump, where the biggest problem was sticking the landing, but soon I managed to traverse that and was doing well until that final rock-ball jump ...

A little past six minutes here. To the right is the fourth icy rockball, which I usually miss by not jumping far enough. I was too aggressive this time, and accidentally flung myself over it ... but of course not far enough to get on this ledge. I rather like the effect here on the point of impact.

Needless to say, a little further left on the trajectory and I could have been falling much, much longer. Still on the correct side of the steeple though so it's only a moderate setback.

A 'nice little hop' off the upside-down snowman as I land right on the very top of it, but too hard. It's better to land just to the right. Or, to have the presence of mind to snag it with your hammer. I did neither. Almost made the same mistake next time, but managed to recover it and eventually got back to the bucket plateau somewhat past 12 minutes in. All in all not terrible at all, a lot of things were going reasonably well.

After a few minutes, I swing up to the wooden platform again ... and just give it the slightest unintended nudge. Propelling myself well off and away to the right. Grrr. Following this, I spent quite some while struggling with getting a hold on the bucket(there are several elements that have to be gotten right to make it happen, as mentioned) and then when I did so, failing to properly execute the swinging technique to get back up to the platform. It's obvious this won't be an easy thing to master.

Took another ten minutes in all to get back up to the platform. And I pushed off again, and here you can see I was jut barely too far away to get a hold on the ledge. Back down I go.

Just before 28 minutes here, and I find another way to screw up swinging on the bucket. Swinging off the bucket isn't new, but this isn't the best vector.

A valiant attempt to catch myself on the ledge fails. Back down to the rooftop, more or less. *Sigh*. Pretty quickly back up again, and then ...

Why. Just why. One moment I'm sitting securely on that icy ledge, and the next flying through the air. 31:48. Three and a half minutes later, I'm back up to the bucket. And that really is excellent news. The Ice Plateau, the Anvil Jump, the Icy-Rock-Ball-Hopping ... all of them hold no power over me. I am their master. I have conquered them.

So that this stupid bucket that Won't.Stay.Still can torment my pitiful existence. Finally at 38 I get back up to the platform. I go for getting over it again ...

And the angle of that was just hideous. Right in the middle where I can do nothing but fall. The height was good, but going a long ways in the wrong direction isn't particularly helpful.

Demonstrating my ample skill at falling off the bucket is particularly dangerous when swinging it ... because you can easily end up like this. Repeatedly I found myself almost falling off this side or worse. After my flailing tendencies almost threw me of both sides of the plateau, I got back up to the platform again, and jumped badly again. And then once more ...

Right direction, not enough height this time. Got back on the platform again quickly, and was feeling a lot more confident about the swinging and vaulting up maneuver. This time though I decided that the left side was just looking fruitless. I wanted to try going over to the right, the icy ledge where the rope led.

Trying to lean over much like I've done at the start of the rock-ball section repeatedly, but just leaned over too far and fell. I was truly exasperated with myself for this move.

Just after the one-hour mark I get my first try at it. And as I put it: 'that was terrrrrrible!'. Just no power behind this jump at all. And too much up, not enough right as well.

Soon, another attempt ... and I get over there, but it's too slippery to hold. I was decidedly not amused. Doesn't look very friendly in that direction, but there is something. I'm not sure which way, the wooden pole on the left or what appears to simply be a wall of ice on the right, is trying to be less inviting and send me the other direction. There's also what looks like a notch just to the right of where my hammer is here. Maybe I was just not quite far enough?? Or maybe just unlucky. so close.

I've gradually developed a habit of doing this when the bucket is swinging wildly. I'm not actually trying to grab it here, just timing a jump so that I or the cauldron block it and slow it down if not stop it.

The aftermath of a failed swing. Off the rock above. I ended up vaulting up off the snake and that rock again, and safely away. But yeah that was a heart-stopping moment. Of not falling: "That was just pure unadulterated dumb stupid luck." Really? Both dumb and stupid at the same time?? Ahh well.

I'd already let this go on too long. Another day of nearly, but not really, making progress. More adventures in Falling Off the Bucket will be coming soon. And who knows -- maybe sometime this year I would be able to master the bucket section.

** Catastrophic Fall Counter: 132(+4)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thotimx posted:

And who knows -- maybe sometime this year I would be able to master the bucket section.

The real question is: will you go left or right and will it turn out to be correct or not?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Every time you land near that snake my heart is in my mouth.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

lofi posted:

Every time you land near that snake my heart is in my mouth.

Same- when he latched onto the snake near the end I squeaked audibly :ohdear:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
drat. Free-swinging physics puzzle. That's hardly fair.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Glazius posted:

Free-swinging physics puzzle. That's hardly fair.

Of course not. By the way I did put some effort into lofi's request on seeing what's left of the mouth-slide thing. I wasn't able to get any further than that orange car. Seems I bounced back to the right no matter where on it I landed. I suspect there's possibly some sort of invisible force-field tomfoolery preventing you from going more over that way, but due to the way the camera works -- falling quickly means you only see what you landed on a second or two after it happens -- I can't completely confirm if that's the case or I just haven't been able to get enough force in that direction.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

https://youtu.be/e7wNnewiga0

So a couple you seemed to 'like' it when I almost rode the snake, and will therefore be pleased it took me less than two minutes, start-of-session blathering on included, to accompish this:

Remember everyone, that which doesn't kill simply makes you wish you were dead more. Err, stronger. Yes, that's it. Then I re-discovered how fiddly actually swinging on the bucket is. I was having trouble getting it move, so than I tried to move myself more quickly(which is actually the wrong answer, it's more about when and how you use your weight/momentum), and popped myself off the bucket. It's one of those things though that is very easy to get wrong, and then for me at least also easy to forget how to do properly.

When I did finally get up to the wooden platform I got maybe half of the force I needed on the jump.

Second try, at just over six minutes, was even worse. I called it 'absymal', an accurate term for the effort.

Third attempt, and almost made it. Might have done so if I didn't shortcut the hammer arc when swinging over this way. And then ...

Is there a magnet over here or something??

Nine minutes, and finally the first disaster -- on the other side. Hammer slipped off the bucket as I was swinging, grabbed the ledge on my way down, but instead of holding there the momentum re-coiled me and I inadvertently launched myself here. This is the wrong side of the rock, I want the top side. And from here, a lovely fall down to the step-hedge.

Sticking-the-landing issues on the anvil jump complicated the re-climb.

Then today's not-spectacular jumping technique raised it's head again on this the final transition of the rock-ball section. So I got to do the whole thing again. And fall again, as the next attempt(just past 22 minutes) I didn't jump far enough to the left and once again didn't get enough force on it.

Throw in multiple lesser falls not documented in this space, and it was a wholly frustrating process. Total time spent largely futzing about from the original fall from the bucket plateau to getting back there was almost 24 minutes. Egads.

Then it was time to screw up the swinging again. And again. And again. And once again nearly-but-not-quite make the jump over to the right. And that was just the next three minutes.

Next time up, I slammed off this slanted part on the left, quite unintentionally ...

Propelling myself further right than I've ever been before. Accidental or no, surely this time I'll ...

Oh. I tried to just hold here instead of swinging upwards. I had far too much momentum though, so that didn't work at all, and the bounce pushed me away. Back down to the bucket I fall. The darned thing is taunting me at this point. Another couple minutes and I actually was 'standing' on that slanted part of the wooden platform, but I couldn't do anything with it and basically just slipped off.

As time wore on I became increasingly frustrated with not being able to sufficient force pushing off the wooden platform. Getting up there pretty consistently wasn't a big problem. Still wasn't a smooth process, but it was happening. But then all I get is a small hop, not nearly far enough, falling back down each time.

56+. This one I got a decent amount of force on, but almost totally horizonatally.

Naturally I fell perfectly in-between the two things which could have saved me.

Landing here. I just about blew a gasket: "NO NO NOOO I WASN'T EVEN TRYING TO JUMP THERE!". I was still positioning and then a mouse-slip and then waaaahhhhhhhh. After another visit from the bat-box and increasing demonstrations that my jumping skills were not up to snuff, I stopped and left myself sitting on the anvil. Hopefully the next session would bring reduced suck with it.

** Catastrophic Fall Counter: 136(+4)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thotimx posted:

Of course not. By the way I did put some effort into lofi's request on seeing what's left of the mouth-slide thing. I wasn't able to get any further than that orange car. Seems I bounced back to the right no matter where on it I landed. I suspect there's possibly some sort of invisible force-field tomfoolery preventing you from going more over that way, but due to the way the camera works -- falling quickly means you only see what you landed on a second or two after it happens -- I can't completely confirm if that's the case or I just haven't been able to get enough force in that direction.

Ah, thanks for trying. I guess it makes sense that a game about bloody-minded climbing over impossible stuff would need some way to keep the player in the game area!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

https://youtu.be/1qqLIG3c_qw

Got off to a particularly noteworthy start.

"Will this be the day that I finally say good-bye"

"Well I'm gonna say good-bye to this purple hat ... " intended to push the hat off the edge so I'm not bothered by it later. Not push myself off with it! 12 seconds, ladies and gentlemen. 12 seconds to lose progress in a completely stupid way.

"Ok that's one of the dumbest things I've done in a long time." I pulled myself together and was on the bucket plateau just over three minutes later.

My first attempt here I tried something new. Well not new, I've done this on the anvil jump, but given my troubles before I attempted just setting myself down on the very end/corner here to get more force on the effort. It didn't work this time, but it was better than some of my previous tries.

9:30, and I find myself quite unintentionally up here again. Gradually work my way down, shove off to the right ... and barely miss. *sigh* The next while was a demonstration of how to fall off the bucket. Repeatedly. In various ways. It would be more than ten minutes until I managed to get back up to the platform

That led to another missed jump, and then me accidentally snagging the bucket on the way down. Which sounds good but all it ever ends up in is another jerky jump that accomplishes nothing.

The 'leaning-off' method again, and it gets me nowhere. Just no velocity, and my inability to sort that problem is really getting tiresome.

Finally, at just past 25 minutes. Here's the difference a great jump makes. My arms aren't extended here, demonstrating that I didn't swing over quite properly, but it's just far enough thanks to finally getting a proper launch.

So ... now what? Look at the background. Even the sky looks cold and lifeless. And this thing to the right is far more vertical than horizontal.

"I've got a wall of ice in front of me. What the heck am I supposed to do with this?"

I find that it is possible, to a degree, to simply find a grabbing point and rotate upwards. It shouldn't be, given the angle.

This is the key to understanding why. Notice the hammer here -- it's 'sunk in' a bit into the surface. Of course right now I'm just experimenting with things and I don't think a whole lot of it.

A few things here. Problem with this whole approach is that if the hammer starts slipping ... it tends to keep slipping, as it is doing here. Then there's the fact that not that much further up it looks like the angle gets a little better. And also -- the background at the top. Is there like no point on this mountain when people say 'nope, I'm not building a home way up there'. Ever??

Slipping more often, I swing harder as I slide down. Which leads to this, shoving myself in the wrong direction. And back down to the bucket. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Still, I got over there, and it looks like progress is theoretically possible. And after several minutes, I managed to get over again. Making progress on the wooden platform jump. So the Wall of Ice is my next thing to conquer. Or if not, to confirm that it isn't conquerable, which could require the rest of my natural life.

Making further progess was made difficult by the fact that the slightest slip could cost a lot of distance as momentum slides me downwards. I started convincing myself that the slow method wasn't working, I just needed to get better at swinging and fling myself upwards more with each time around. That has it's own drawbacks, in making it very easy to just shove yourself off the thing entirely.

36:42. Eventually I manage to get just a little bit higher, and as anticipated this improved angle is more friendly. Unfortunately all it gets me too is more ice, slightly darker in color but no more inviting.

Now I've gone and done it. At least I know this is the right way.

Far too often, it does not ...

This episode of psychobabble has been brought to you by ...

These are actually not bad questions, and a decent answer. It's just that at this moment like so many others, I'm really not in the mood. The Wall of Ice has my attention.

Hey look -- instead of about a 30-degree angle, it's now 15-20 for the first part of this. And I can't seem to find a place at the top of my hammer's reach where it gives at all. What do I do? I do eventually find a hold, grab it, swing upwards, and ...

And slip backwards again, falling all the way down to the bottom of the Wall of Ice. But there's some hope from this brief vantage point. It looks like that darker area, if I can ever reach it, is more solid(albeit still ice-covered) and not as hostile. But it isn't long until I shove myself off completely again.

I get up to that 'resting point' partway up the wall of ice once more, but repeated efforts to progress further are stymied. The next time I fling myself off, I'm through for now.

** Catastrophic Fall Counter: 137(+1)

I can only really count sliding all the way back down after that point of furthest progress. Had a few others including the ultra-dumb one at the start but none were particularly bad. It was more just a struggling to progress, two steps forward one back kind of thing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how it's just gone for a straight-up slope as a challenge. Before there were acrobatics, leverage, considerations. Now it's just you and physics.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Of the two, physics is decidedly the stronger. Just sayin'.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You're alive! :) I was starting to think the game had broken you.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Heh. Nah. I didn't post everywhere before I shut the thing down but I put a blurb on my YouTube channel and in one of the other threads(for CW2). Basically the processor fan in my computer broke and I had to get it replaced. It's really hard to upload videos when you can't run the PC for more than a few minutes at a time.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

https://youtu.be/JTRPjSU-YRs

Within a minute and a half. Up to the wooden platform, settled angled on the end of it as I've learned is the best way, good vector, good velocity ... and just a bit too early on the release point trying to swing up. I do swing up, and also slightly away. Another good attempt fails just a minute later. A promising start, but of course it's the ice wall/slope/hill/whateveritis that is going to be the real test.

First try at screwing it up. Nearly successful, but I hang on and get back onto the plateau. A third attempt at the platform jump failed due to me not getting full hammer extension, but on the fourth(10:45ish) I made it and it was on to tackling the ice .. obstacle ... whateverthingy.

And thereupon slipped off in less than a minute, having made no progress of significance whatsoever. Great. Grand. Wonderful. Then it was time to struggle with swinging on the bucket, because I haven't spend enough time doing that yet.

One of many. Trying to hard to give myself momentum as I swing, I hop from the middle of the bucket to just on the edge here ... and naturally fall off before I can rectify things. At about 16:30 I pulled one of those 'brilliant' sequences of aerial .. uhh ... not sure what to call this really;

Textbook here really. This is perfect launching position for the platform jump.

Good but not great jump ... I'd like to be up a bit further in that notch. But not bad at all. By the way, what the heck am I looking at here? Might it be better if I looked at what I'm doing??

Not even close to the right timing, I send myself flailing up and left.

But I'm able to grab the platform, slingshotting myself back up ...

Snag it again on the way back down ...

Oh. Still too much momentum, and down I go again. Whole thing took six seconds. Six simultaneously exciting and agonizing seconds. Which combined accomplish the task of me falling from the platform to the bucket plateau.

Go me.

This is just cruel. I grabbed up on top of the wooden ledge here, bounced just a bit ... and actually was suspended here for a moment before succumbing to gravity. I was beginning to think this section hates me. At least on the day.

Then one of those random twitches of the mouse and I go flying to the right ... but did actually manage to grab that last rocky iceball and avoid falling. Another several minutes of struggling with the bucket, but I made it back up to the ice hill. Right at the half-hour point. This time it'll be different, right?

Almost up to the first resting point ... but then no.

Well, that's worse ...

Totally on purpose with full control. Wasn't desperately flailing the slightest bit. Pay no attention to the severely bowed hammer-handle.

Right back over to the ice hill. Just the way I planned it. Just testing out my skill in acrobatics and timing. So as I was saying about getting up this ice hill ...

Yep, there we go. Now for the hard part.

Success!

Or not. That previous hammer position was really mostly on the left of the rock, unfortunately.

For a moment, I'm able to hold this position. I spoke words of power to my computer screen -- "Grab it. Grab it. Grab it!!!"

My words of power had nothing on gravity though. I tilted the wrong way just a bit and ... yeah. Thirty seconds later I was back down at the bucket. Sighing. That's the second time I've nearly made it over that stupid hill. Soon I'm back up and giving it another try. Determined. I will not be denied. I will throw myself at this obstacle with reckless abandon. I will ... uh ...

36:26. I will fall and be within inches of another Snakeride. Maybe that wasn't the best, most brilliant approach. Nevertheless, I'm back up at the ice hill for the umpteenth time a few minutes later. I am indefatigable. Whatever this mountain throws at me, I will throw it back with interest. As I get back to that first resting point again:

"I think I have slightly better idea of how to attack ... Instead of pushing down into the mountain, I'm pushing more down-right". Which is a little counter-intuitive, but at times it seems to get a better grip 'into' the surface instead of bouncing off, allowing me to fling myself upwards. And sometimes it doesn't work at all but it does seem to be a small improvement.

Finally I manage a secure spot at the top of the second section. 42:25 here. Phew. I've finally made it. Just gotta swing myself up on that next icy rock-plateau ...

Adjustment

I don't want to blow this, so I carefully and cautiously readjust my position. Here -- right at this moment(42:53) -- I'm just setting myself down a little closer so I can reach up higher, more margin if the hammer slips, all that ...

But I bump the cauldron into the side of that rock.

Literally one second later. I yell 'NOOOOO!' And then shorter versions of that same sentiment. Which do me no good. I've blown it. That close. AGAIN. And I blew it.

I rally back up here, and get two swings at it. "You're not taking this away fr -- You are not taking this away from me".

Yeah, desperation ain't a real good thing. This is 15 seconds later. Don't ask me how I didn't fall here. I should have.

This is important. Not getting back up here, but the use of this little spot, one of the depressions in the snow and ice of the hill, as a slightly higher starting point from the first resting spot. Every little thing helps.

How many times will I get this close ... and yet fall? At least once more, apparently. After this I fall back down to the bucket, and no longer have the will to continue the effort. For the moment that is.

** Catastrophic Fall Counter: 138(+1)

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

https://youtu.be/TK4s-K1bexg

Did well with the bucket grabbing and swinging part at the start, but as of this point I'm 0-for-2 in actually grabbing on the platform. Here I just push off the end of it when I should have been able to snag it easily.

Next time I make it up, then struggle with the ice hill for a few minutes. On my second time to the halfway point I once again get close ... but this hammer swing needed to hit either higher or lower to do any good. 11:23 here. I get several more attempts at it, none of which go that well, and eventually bump myself off the hill. All told though I spend about 12 minutes on the attempted ascent, which is really rare; usually I do something to send myself flying off much sooner than that. Taking it as a positive sign.

A few minutes to get back up, a few minutes flailing against the hill, and I fall again. Almost a half-hour at this point but there really isn't much to show -- just the same battle with the ice hill that ends up being roughly a draw, unable to make those critical gains I need.

Next attempt, I swing a bit too hard on the bucket, slip off, and send myself flying here from the edge of the plateau. It's mostly straight up ...

But a little to the right as well. Here, in typical Getting Over It fashion, you can see where I was a second ago. Got the hammer onto the lower ledge but it just slipped and down I go.

Haven't seen this for a while, and can't say I'm at all pleased to see it again now. Hit a few speed bumps on the way back up, but it's nothing severe. Six minutes later I'm back on the bucket plateau ready to resume the assault. I get back up to the hill quickly as well. I'm feeling good about things in general, just got to keep ...

37:30 to start this sequence. I commit the cardinal sin, or fatal error if you will, of flailing about and being indecisive on my swing. It ends up badly, shoving off and left at high velocity.

I should have said started badly. It ends worse. Now of course I've landed here many times before. But this time I'm not landing -- I've got enough force that I'm bouncing.

After a customary "Good grief" I start yelling "NOOO NOOO NOOO" like it'll do any good.

At least I didn't hook the Snake, but here you can see the Orange Hell rocks as I've gone falling by.

Here's where the view finally catches up to me. A good solid half the mountain fall there at least ... and the harder half. This might be the biggest gut-shot I've taken so far when you consider how many times I've been close to scaling the ice hill.

Doesn't take long to get back to the orange platform, but my first attempt at the big jump above it just leaves me barely hanging around here.

This was a great jump. And an absolutely horrible, terrible, lousy, piss-poor hammer swing. I can't even say landing because I didn't get that far. Literally only like halfway extended. More than good enough to get the job done if I'd swung properly. Instead, this is a one-way ticket back to the blue slide.

After falling from just above the steps a couple times, I go for an old favorite, the classic slam-your-face-into-the-siding at warp speed technique.

The comedy of errors continues to get worse. Here I saved a bid to fall the rest of the way down, and about a minute later stopped because clearly this was doing more harm than good.

** Catastrophic Fall Counter: 141(+3)

I find myself wishing for the torment of the ice hill now. Perspective changes with the shifting fortunes.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

My Thotimx impression: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMESRatAG04

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 24, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

At least it wasn't the snake. That's an upside, I guess.

That was brutal, but I guess the game never promised anything else.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

True, but the toughest part about this fall wasn't even that. It's the fact that I'd been close enough, often enough, to getting past the ice hill that I never should have been in that position in the first place. That was an extra-special condiment of frustration on top of the game's challenge.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HhtxvMHapI

I once again found the whole Random Lawn Equipment Wall, Steps, etc. sections to be fairly routine. But not completely. On the bed jump here I pushed a little too far to the left, bounced off the hold on the right there ...

And bumpity-bumped my way down the steps, only to fall off them completely shortly thereafter. Joyful.

I even found a new way to screw things up, seen here. I was moving along the row of boxes, when I suddenly managed to propel myself straight right, literally skipping along the surface of them until I fell off the end. 8:30-ish for this bit of brilliance. I was actually quite impressed with myself for finding, after literally having done that part a hundred times or so now, yet another way to fail at it.

"I feel a little vindictive here ... "

Of course this session was going to be defined by that one jump above Orange Hell. First attempt at 13:23.

Very nice!

Released a little too early and pushed myself just far enough away to fail though. Almost had a hold on the way down, and then bouncy-bounced my way back to the blue slide again.

Just past 21 mins comes the first full-throated 'NOOOOOO!' of the session. I bump into the ledge here and propel myself away from it, ending my next attempt before it had a chance.

31 minutes. In between equal parts of good execution and dumb falls, particularly in the five jumps area. Here I just didn't get nearly enough on the jump.

38:20ish. After almost throwing myself off one of the lower rocks. And this was good enough ... I just didn't get full extention when I was swinging up, clanging off the very corner of the ledge. After falling once more I could only mumble to myself "could have had it ... could have had it ... "

A few minutes later I'm back up, and a mouseslip screws it up just as I'm getting in position.

Snagging the orange platform on the way down, I ...

... slam myself into the end of the ledge on the rebound. All I could do this time was sputter incoherently.

Another few minutes and I stupidly fall off the steps, and even-more-stupidly get my hammer stuck under the roof here. I take the hint. It's not happening today.

** Catastrophic Fall Counter: 147(+6)

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 27, 2018

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

https://youtu.be/yDdBHbqjnsw

Thankfully it didn't take me long at all to get un-stuck from the roof this time.

Looks a lot like the way I missed this jump the last time. Nearly identical flawed technique in fact.

Hey look! Another miss!! I'm not covering myself in glory at all here on the Five Jumps section.

*sigh*. A reminded that it can always, always, always be worse.

Just after 12 minutes. I've found yet another place that it shouldn't be possible to set down on/in, but I find a way. A few later I showed compassion to the orange, nearly fell a couple of times, and then ...

A bad jump combined with not extending all the way = fail.

Propelling myself off the angled rock at high velocity just to make sure I can't possibly save it. I didn't even get upset, I was more kind of amused at the situation. "Oh yeah ... Goodbye".

Around the 23-minute mark there's a 'nice' little section of me failing on the last of the Five Jumps, the 'Commode Hop' or whatever, something like four consecutive times in multiple ways. It's great. If you're a sadist.

26:41. A little unsteady on the initial landing, bounced a bit, but managed to swing myself up here. Finally. Now to deal with the chapel.

I'm not sure exactly what I did here. I either banged into the building or hit my head on the bottom of the hand. Either way, after handling the animal's head fine I messed this up ...

And this was most fortunate, keeping me from losing much. The next time went better, up and over the steeple. Now I was secure in this upper section, soon facing the ice again.

The top-hat proved annoying again but it didn't take me long to get up here(32 minutes in now).

More progress was interrupted by falling from the inverted snowman, and then I spent some 'quality time' getting back up on the anvil plateau. Err, that is, trying and failing to get back up on it. And then repeatedly bumbled the landing on the anvil jump itself. This whole period had the feel of being just that small amount off-rhythm that I can't quite accomplish getting by the obstacles in front of me.

Nearly bounced off again, but managed to save it here on the snowman. From there I pretty smoothly advanced to the bucket plateau(at 42 on the dot pretty much). I got up to the ice hill and floundered against it unsuccesfully for a few minutes, and decided to come back and fight another day. An imperfect but definitely successful effort; at least I'm back to dealing with the permafrost and past Orange Hell once more.

** Catastrophic Fall Counter: 150(+3)

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

https://youtu.be/5_SvwMV3wCY

"That wasn't close or anything." Got up to the ice hill on my second attempt basically after just missing the platform jump first time, and soon had to pull myself up from here to keep from falling off. Two similar saves followed ... except I really did slip on the last one. Once again the ice hill proves stronger.

This was all just in the first five minutes, in an action-packed(for this game) start. The next while was spent flailing about with the bucket.

17:20. The midpoint of the ice hill and an important discovery. My usual 'resting place' here, and the hammer is just above a 'pivot', or a place where the face changes slightly. I find this as a good place to dig in and be able to propel upward.

Next swing up also finds a good home, and then here it's "Oh come on!" followed by my signature staccato NO NO NOs(start at 17:36 or so). And I come to a rest at the bottom of the ice hill. Seriously. How many times am I going to almost get there and yet not do so.

A couple minutes later. This is working ... but I've been here before. Do I screw it up yet again?!?

Less than three seconds after the words "this should be it" foolishly escape my lips. I catch myself before I slide too far though.

Here we go again ...

Next swing around just bounces off. And I slide down ... and down ... and down. And I'm more than a bit perturbed. Bordering on ticked off here. I rage against the slope, doing too well to fall off entirely and not well enough to progress back to the top.

Almost 27 mins. here. I've spent more than 10 on the ice hill in some degree or another. And here I just barely slip off. Quite a bit of frustration setting in. This thing has reached Steps and Orange Hell level in terms of my angst regarding it is considered.

31:30. I've discovered that be carefully rotating up from the right holds, I can predictable raise myself from the midpoint up to here, pretty near the top, and have a secure perch.

45 seconds later. The hammer slips again on this part, but not until I've rotated up enough that I just barely don't fall off.

"I made it past the ice hill! And now we've got a ... shopping cart. But I'm just going to pause here and enjoy this." Yes, we really do leave our shopping carts everywhere. What's wrong with this species anyway? But yeah -- no more ice hill!! Until I fall again. Watch me do that in the next five minutes.

First new obstacle in a while, unless you count easily flipping over the cart. It's not much of one, just a basic vertical jump.

Some sort of antenna or air-traffic warning light tower thingy or something. And is this supposed to be a mini-stonehenge at the bottom of it?? What is that? I can't reach that disc on my side of it, so I must jump again. As soon as I do ...

Spoken calmly and with no jazzy background music. You know who this is.

Music begins again. Naturally.

Learning to go stark raving mad is more like it.

Me: "I'm glad I came to but I wouldn't want to do it again. Uhhhh"

Bounced off this but here are the next couple of obstacles. At least the narrowing of the antenna lets you know this thing isn't enormously tall.

I started worrying about pushing myself off far enough to the left to end up back down the ice hill ... and then nearly did it. Landed just left of the shopping cart after this. A little more oomph and it would have been much, much worse.

This looks like another, straighter antenna glued on top of the other one(after some rather sad and somewhat humorous flailing about for a few minutes). And check out the background -- we're not only in the clouds here, but actually almost above them.

Got stuck here for a bit. Also, how tall is this thing??

Hmm, looks like the last one here ...

Jump here is at 37:44. Much higher than I expected ... because shortly after takeoff I become basically weightless here. Apparently this mountain basically reaches into outer space or something, because the hammer just keeps swinging around and around and I float up and up.

I bump past ... asteroids? ... in the foreground and background, while pondering whether gravity is even a thing anymore. Ends up it's still around, just very muted. I push off a bit from the big rock in the previous shot after 'landing on it', and go up more ...

Even here, in the near-blackness of near-vacuum it seems, Bennett Foddy is omnipresent.

As he says this, I'm pulled pretty strongly towards this asteroid you can see part of in the upper-left. It seems to have more significant mass/gravity than the others. I push off and eventually try to go right, but like a boomerang I'm compelled back to the same basic location.

I've been going up-right but apparently left is the way. This thing seems my destination somehow, whether I want it to be or not. Further bumping off rocks doesn't get me far. This whole thing feels weird, after the feeling of falling again and again and again back on terra firma, now I can't fall even when I want to. There's a small amount of gravity from variable directions but the main pull is that big asteroid.

I work my way around to the top of it, then push off straight up to try and escape it's pull. I gradually slow as I drift upwards, but then I stop slowing down and ...

I've reached the greater cosmos. Or something. They grow brighter, until ...

Victory! Now I'm not quite insane enough to screenshot the entire credit sequence, though it is relatively minimal. But I will do a couple of moments I found amusing. Starts a few seconds after 40 minutes on the video if you want the whole thing.

** Because of course he did, Foddy starts up the "I'm Going Down the Road Feelin' Bad" song partway through. The one there are multiple versions of early on.

Contrived, but I still chuckled at this.

That ONE time!?! Heh, I wish.

After the credits end, we're greeted with this. The time is a lie BTW -- as was mentioned, going into the water left of the starting point resets the timer. In actuality, just under 32 hours. Or, Snake + 10 and change, if you please. And here we have the one part of the game that isn't completionist. Being an honorable guy, I follow the instructions on the screen and turn off the recording before proceeding. I thought about just selecting 'NO' but I wanted to see it. Easy enough to google if you're curious, and it's a rather strange thing to put at the end of the game.

The 'Got Over It' Achievement was also rewarded. Here's a comprehensive list of the other available Achievements:

** Got Over It, For Real This Time(Reach the top of the mountain twice)
** So Over It(Fifty times)

Brevity is the spice of life ... or something.

By the way, I didn't do what the speedrun link guy did and uninstall immediately. I went back in just to see how far I'd quickly get. Got back to Orange Hell, fell again, and exited out of the game. And I have no intention of playing it again. But I did Get Over It. For whatever that's worth. I hope you've enjoyed what is officially my first(hopefully of many) completed Something Awful LP. If you've stuck with the thread this far in any capacity, you have my thanks.

Cheers!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
meanwhile, in speedrun land...

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Congratulations!

Now play the golf one.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

There are two things not shown near the end, one is a cameo of the character from sexy hiking, the other is this game's one true game over state.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well done! That was brutal, and a hell of a trip!

Thanks for sticking with it, and I totally understand not sharing the secret part.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Woohoo, congrats, Thotimx! :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Congrats on finishing! I'd never make it even halfway, I just don't have the patience.

• Locked thread