Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wapole Languray posted:

Boots: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-adventure-boots
Full shin protection, and they're intentionally built to work like hiking boots as well.

Is this acceptable?

YES. Ive been using a pair of the forma lows for 2-3 years now as my only riding boot. They are still as comfy as they were out of the box, which is to say exactly like your favorite slipper. They have protected my feet from several offs, including one where a 300lb bike fell down some stairs directly on my ankle (no injury). On top of this I've used them for lots of off the bike stuff, including hiking, dancing, walking long distances on pavement, and just sitting around at school. Very comfortable and good at all of these.

For bikes, have you heard of our lord and savior the mighty Bush Pig?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58vB-5urcJI

I really found the klr to be a boring, ugly, cheap feeling, and lifeless tractor, whereas my DR is easily the greatest bike I've ever owned or ridden. It's fantastic at just about everything. Buy your bike used, please. Somebody has to buy new, but who knows who that person is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Yeah I know buy used, just using the KLR650 to get an idea of budgeting because I can't predict the used market around here. And yeah M42, Southwest VA in the mountains. That's one reason I'm interested in ADV: I want to use a bike as a fun way to travel and around there being able to do some off-roading is a major bonus.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I have the non-mips version of that helmet and rate it pretty high, though you might want to pick up a pinlock visor for it, as i found it fogs pretty easy. Other than that it's a great helmet, and yeah the peak comes off within moments and works pretty well for street use without it.

I also have those boots and rate them pretty high! If you're planning on walking around in them allot off the bike, I'd say possibly pick up the low versions though, great boots otherwise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

M42 posted:

I basically wear mesh all summer

:bigtran:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You’re the perfect size for buying cheap used gear on advrider. Do that, then figure out what you want and what you hate and get the nice stuff. How much dirt will you really ride?

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

builds character posted:

How much dirt will you really ride?

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
I'd like to get an additional visor for the Icon Airmada for the bright sunny days ahead. Should I consider the light smoke or the dark smoke version? There are also tinted visors but I'm not sure how effective they are.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I think I had the dark one on my old airframe and it did me well. Alternatively if there's a tinted one that matches your helmet, go for that and continue looking rad.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

If you expect riding facing the sun directly, get the darker one, obv.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Don't even bother with light smoke visors, just go straight to the dark smoke and carry the clear visor with you if you'll be out past dusk. Alternately, wear sunglasses.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Took the BRC last weekend, got a 2012 CBR250R with ABS today. 1,100 miles on it which is nice, but original tires (‘12 on the sidewalls) so I’ll be looking at replacing those sometime soonish.

Getting the bike home through 20 miles of Aurora Colorado was an experience. The BRC and its 15mph speeds were my only riding experience so I spent the whole time doing this:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ulf posted:

Took the BRC last weekend, got a 2012 CBR250R with ABS today. 1,100 miles on it which is nice, but original tires (‘12 on the sidewalls) so I’ll be looking at replacing those sometime soonish.

Getting the bike home through 20 miles of Aurora Colorado was an experience. The BRC and its 15mph speeds were my only riding experience so I spent the whole time doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_jS5D6PG8

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

so i’m learning to ride on a ninja 250 like everybody else but i want to window shop for the next one. i got to ride on the back of my buddy’s KLR 650 and i like the ride feel of that but i’m 5’ 7” and i can barely tiptoe it from the saddle. i’ve only ridden one day so i’m really putting the cart before the horse but i think once i learn how to not dump the bike im going to want a dual sport or ujm/standard. i don’t really want to go fast but i also don’t want to ride a boat.

what kind of characteristics should i be looking for?

edit: i live in boston and road quality is absolutely loving horrible so i like the idea of something that’s not jittery

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 24, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What do you mean by ride feel? How the KLR soaks up the bumps in the road? How high you sit off the ground? The torque at low RPMs? The body position?

Something like a WR250 or DR-Z400S will feel a lot like the KLR while being smaller and lighter.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah i don’t have motorcycle words for it but riding on the back of the ninja vs the klr felt like my aluminum road bike vs my steel cyclocross bike. i don’t mind aggressive ergo but i also don’t like rattling my dick off every time i hit sub optimal pavement (so basically everywhere in boston)

like i’m more of a “smoke weed and go on a chill 60 mile bike ride” cyclist than a “cat4 XTREME CARBON FIBER RACER” so i’m trying to figure out how to do that but on a motorcycle.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
One thing i'm still iffy on is lane splitting on city roads. Highway is more than easy enough thanks to space.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, don't ride while intoxicated, but definitely you need a thumper. Like Sagebrush said, the WR or DRZ will be more your size, as will the DR650 (lower seat and pretty thin). With the upright ergos, and a proper seat, they are amazing for just cruising around. Plus, you get to stand up on the pegs and get the "I'm flying, Jack!" feelings. You can go real fast on them, too, if you want, but they are perfectly amazing for a relaxed ride.

Dualsports and Sumos are the best bieks.

Fhistleb posted:

One thing i'm still iffy on is lane splitting on city roads. Highway is more than easy enough thanks to space.

Don't lane split unless it's past stopped or barely moving traffic, especially on the highway. Always cover your brakes and be fully alert when splitting. And don't split anything you aren't comfortable with. Waiting a little while longer is no big deal.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 24, 2018

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Uh a DRZ is both less comfortable and taller than a KLR.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

from a cyclist perspective it really seems like a huge portion of motorcycle accidents are from impatient hotheads who can’t wait literally 20 seconds and are awful at traffic pattern analysis.

i’ve been hit by cars 3 times on a bicycle i’m really not looking to replicate that on a motorcycle. i’m kind of going into this with a similar mindset of “everybody who isn’t me is trying to kill me” and i don’t give a gently caress about being honked at if it means i’m not going to get run over. i ride 15-30mi a day on a bike all around boston and at this point i can tell when an uber is going to swoop in and double park directly in front of me almost before they do. and instead of relying on a bike’s brakes to stop on a dime i’d rather just go slow and relax and pull around when safe to do so.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Casual Encountess,

Try plenty of bikes. Sumos and dual sports are not the only bikes with good suspension.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Casual Encountess posted:

from a cyclist perspective it really seems like a huge portion of motorcycle accidents are from impatient hotheads who can’t wait literally 20 seconds and are awful at traffic pattern analysis.

Can confirm. Yesterday I would have hit a rider if I didn't recognise the warning signs and watch him like a hawk. I was driving down a left turn lane past stuck traffic (to turn left ahead) when he decided traffic was too slow and jumped into my lane without checking, or indicating. He did not turn left at the intersection.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fhistleb posted:

Splitting safely is much less about the available space (your bike probably fits through a much smaller gap than you think) and much more about the total speed and speed differential.

My personal rules:
- Only split up to a maximum of 40 miles an hour, and only up to 20mph faster than traffic. So that means if traffic is stopped, I don't go above 20. If it's going 10mph, I ride from 15 to 30mph. If traffic is going 35, I'm still only going 40. Once we're going 40mph that's fast enough for me to not worry about it any more, and I just slide into the normal flow.
- Do not match the speed of traffic while riding between lanes; always be going at least 2-3mph faster so that you're regularly passing cars. Minimize the time you spend in any given driver's blind spot.
- Do not split on either the left or right shoulder. Drivers don't expect there to ever be a vehicle there, so they won't look for you if they decide to swerve into the shoulder for whatever reason.*
- If there are more than two lanes, split between the two leftmost ones where possible (if you drive on the right). There's less risk of people merging back and forth there than in the right lanes.
- Don't split in the bicycle lane; that is for bicyclists
- Turn on the high beam any time you're splitting. It makes a difference.
- Wave at people who do the little dodge to try and give you more space. It's good to improve people's perception of motorcyclists.

Don't split on the freeway at freeway speeds. It's dangerous and stupid.

e: * I admit that I disobey this rule occasionally on two-lane roads that are gridlocked and packed for miles with tourists or whatever. In that case I ride on the right shoulder, but even more slowly than usual, and I pay extremely close attention to the cars in front of me because god knows when one of them will decide to pull over with no warning.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 24, 2018

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Don’t count ya chickens yet. I used to be into way diferent bikes when I had my first one, your tastes may change. Peep a dr650 too. Also hi5 boston buddy, i grew up in dorchester :respek:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

Don’t count ya chickens yet. I used to be into way diferent bikes when I had my first one, your tastes may change. Peep a dr650 too. Also hi5 boston buddy, i grew up in dorchester :respek:

Explains your driving. :rice:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

If you’re driving fast enough you will just fly over the potholes 😎

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Would this be stupid for a new rider? I can't tell if this is genius or idiocy:

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/kawasak...%204L1&sprx=100

Like, assuming it runs, it pretty much can't get any worse cosmetically. Also lol at "11 previous owners". Joke or typo or real, it's like, god drat, what a listing.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

man thats gross posted:

Like, assuming it runs, it pretty much can't get any worse cosmetically. Also lol at "11 previous owners". Joke or typo or real, it's like, god drat, what a listing.

is... isn't that exactly what your first bike should be? Buy that, ride the poo poo out of it for a year, sell it for $100 more than you paid for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. Any learner bike you buy will need tyres, brakes, servicing etc so may as well start with the cheapest possible base and go from there.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
I dunno man, if I don't ask I'm gonna blow a thousand bucks just for someone to say "oh this seemingly unimportant piece of nothing is broken, yeah just toss it in the trash you retard."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

man thats gross posted:

As long as nothing's like actually dangling loose and bouncing down the road, that looks like a perfectly fine first bike. It's the right size, it's already kinda beat up, but it runs, and the price is right. As Slavvy notes, you'll want to think about new tires, chain, oil/filter, and the like.

Also kinda lol @ saying "pretty much can't get any worse cosmetically." Guess you haven't looked very deeply yet :P This guy from the first page of my local craigslist wants $850:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

What’s the dealio with Chinese bikes?

I’m in the U.K. and finished my CBT a few weeks ago, and now I’m looking at getting my first 125cc, which seem to fit into either £4K+ (new) Japanese bikes, or £1.5-3k Chinese bikes.

There seems to be a wide range of opinions on them, one guy I talked to had nothing good to say about Lexmoto, but suggested I buy a Mutt. Despite both brands selling nearly identical bikes, just different trim.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
They're not nearly identical, they are identical.

Most Chinese bikes come from the same places, all the UK distributors (lexmoto etc) do is better quality control, finishing touches, decals etc.

It all depends on how long you plan on 125ing and what you want to do. I got a sinnis apache as my first bike, was pretty decent as far as how much I paid for it. I'd only buy a Chinese bike brand new though for the two year warenty cover.

Look for one of the established brands, lexmoto etc, that way if poo poo goes wrong they won't disappear in the night. Finding parts over here is easy enough with how popular the Chinese brands are becoming.

Oh and unless they have a brand you recognise on the tires, change them before you even take delivery of the bike.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Keket posted:

They're not nearly identical, they are identical.

Most Chinese bikes come from the same places, all the UK distributors (lexmoto etc) do is better quality control, finishing touches, decals etc.

It all depends on how long you plan on 125ing and what you want to do. I got a sinnis apache as my first bike, was pretty decent as far as how much I paid for it. I'd only buy a Chinese bike brand new though for the two year warenty cover.

Look for one of the established brands, lexmoto etc, that way if poo poo goes wrong they won't disappear in the night. Finding parts over here is easy enough with how popular the Chinese brands are becoming.

Oh and unless they have a brand you recognise on the tires, change them before you even take delivery of the bike.

Good advice, ta.

I was looking at a Hanway (although, that mondial hipster is awfully appealing) to get me through the first year or two, but maybe more. It all depends on how many opportunities I get to ride somewhere other than work.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I bought this thing brand new so it's got warranty and I'm getting it serviced regularly for when I want to sell it on or part exchange

http://www.genata-motor.co.uk/products-ranges/226-cr/

The dealer told me there's a Honda engine in there but I wouldn't know a Honda engine if it stuck it's thumb in my rear end. I'm using it for commuting and getting in as much practice as possible before attempting something bigger.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Can a CO rider, or maybe somebody who actually knows how to use the internet (as i obviously don't) lay out for me clearly under what conditions I am allowed to ride if I pass my written and get my Colorado motorcycle permit?

The book is kind of ambiguous. Can i ride solo on slow surface streets during the day? I am absolutely nowhere near 21 or younger.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 1, 2018

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

From a quick search it sounds like you can only ride with someone else in the immediate proximity who is also over 21 and has a valid motorcycle license, but I could be wrong. Check out this link.

quote:

The department shall issue a permit entitling the applicant, who is eighteen years of age or older, while having the permit in the applicant's immediate possession, to drive a motor vehicle or motorcycle upon the highways when accompanied by a driver, who holds a valid Colorado driver's license and is twenty-one years of age or older, who occupies the front seat of the motor vehicle, or if the vehicle is a motorcycle under the immediate proximate supervision of a driver, who is authorized under this article to drive a motorcycle.  The permit shall expire three years after issuance.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OK, i was just confused by a Youtube that showed a guy solo riding to his motorcycle test on side roads. evidently he was breaking the law, or he never showed his buddy. Got it

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I could be wrong, I read the material on the CO DMV's website and was just confused by it, so I figured the code would have the answer. Everything I've seen has been fairly poorly worded, but what else is new for government publications.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I suppose it depends on whether they mean "highways" in the colloquial way, i.e. limited-access high-speed roads, or "highways" in the legal governmental way, i.e. any paved road maintained by the state.

It's common for your learner's permit to disallow highway (interstate) riding, carrying a passenger, riding at night, etc.-- but requiring you to stay with a fully licensed rider at all times is much more rare. Quebec does that, I believe, but I can't think of anywhere else that does. Even European countries don't do that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Norway has strangely lenient rules about training for motorcycle licence actually. The teacher has to have had his licence for more than 5 years, both the teacher and the student has to wear a yellow vest with a big L on. They can ride on seperate bikes, but the teacher has to ride last, and at all time see the student, and have a means of two-way communication with the student. if the student is above 25 years old they only need ID, below that they need car licence or traffical base course. With that in place you can "train" for as long as you want wherever you want in Norway.