Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Willa Rogers posted:

When your state has an open Senate seat and the governor calls, you'd be stupid to make racist remarks about the "good blacks" vs. the "bad blacks" given chicago's demographics + weight in state elections.

But there you are, dem candidate for gov.

I'm definitely lost now.

Perhaps we're hearing different ads? The one I heard was:
:downsa: Madigan wants to cut me a deal; thoughts?
:downs: idk take it
:downsa: You a lawyer?
:downs: Duh
:downsa: I'll need a new AG
:downs: Interesting
:downsa: You sure you're picking up what I'm putting down?

If there was anything like that in there, somehow I'd missed it.

For what it's worth, I'm the downstate hick that Rauner wants to appeal too, but I'm too young for that poo poo I guess. Now that I type that out, I feel like I really need to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

When your state has an open Senate seat and the governor calls, you'd be stupid not to take it, even if you suspect that the Feds are listening in.

holy poo poo you're back

anyways you know as well as everyone that jb knew full well blago wanted a bribe for the appointment and was playing along on the phone to keep blago happy without actually directly saying anything

also the black stuff was back during the primary when it mattered, after which JB had all his supporters say they forgave him for saying Emil was uppity (the word crass was used because again, coded language)

emil jones posted:

Pritzker showed his “true colors” when he told Rod Blagojevich in a secretly recorded conversation that Jones was too “crass” to fill Barack Obama’s Senate seat, Jones said Tuesday.

“He’s been running around the black community talking about all the things he’s gonna do. Blah, blah, blah. … He’s trying to buy the black vote. He’s like a one-eyed jack. But, those tapes show you the other side of his face. This is what he really thinks about black folks,” said Jones, who has endorsed Chris Kennedy for governor.

“What he meant by ‘crass’ is that I’m an uppity black. I fight for my people and, sometimes, that ruffles feathers. What he was saying in comparing me to Jesse White is that Jesse White is a safe black. Jesse White is not gonna do what Emil Jones does. Dr. King was a crass black. Harold Washington was a crass black. It was said in a derogatory manner.”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Zarin posted:

I'm definitely lost now.

Perhaps we're hearing different ads? The one I heard was:
:downsa: Madigan wants to cut me a deal; thoughts?
:downs: idk take it
:downsa: You a lawyer?
:downs: Duh
:downsa: I'll need a new AG
:downsa: You sure you're picking up what I'm putting down?

If there was anything like that in there, somehow I'd missed it.

For what it's worth, I'm the downstate hick that Rauner wants to appeal too, but I'm too young for that poo poo I guess. Now that I type that out, I feel like I really need to move.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-illinois-democratic-governor-race-20180205-story.html
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=481072559
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=481082898

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oh, yikes. That's not a good look at all.

The irony is that while that's way worse than the ad I keep seeing, I'm not sure that would, uh, hit the right notes for his target audience down here in the same way that :byodood: MADIGAN :byodood: does.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Zarin posted:

Oh, yikes. That's not a good look at all.

The irony is that while that's way worse than the ad I keep seeing, I'm not sure that would, uh, hit the right notes for his target audience down here in the same way that :byodood: MADIGAN :byodood: does.

rauner might only run that ad in chicago-metro markets, and closer to the g.e. to depress chicago turnout.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Later in the recording, Blagojevich jokingly suggests appointing the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Obama’s controversial pastor whose inflammatory remarks led the then-presidential candidate to disassociate from him.

“I bet ya he’d take it,” Blagojevich says.

“Hilarious,” Pritzker replies.

“Huh? Would that be f---ing funny?” Blagojevich says.

“Hilarious,” Pritzker says again. “Oh my God.”

A laughing Blagojevich then makes a reference to one of Wright’s more controversial statements.

“Right there on the Senate floor. ‘It’s not God Bless America. It’s God drat America.’ ”

“God drat America,” Pritzker replies as Blagojevich goes on to mock Wright and mimic his voice: “Well now, when Barack was at Sunday school I used to tell him …”

Ratfuckers :cripes:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

can I write in "none of the above" for Governor?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

I met Kina Collins volunteering for Sameena Mustafa, and that woman is really impressive.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Interesting article on 'who hosed Illinois' in governing magazine. IPR interviewed the guy about it.

quote:

Twenty years ago, Illinois was humming along. Its median household income stood at nearly $64,000 in today’s dollars -- more than $6,300 above the national average and higher than it’s been at any time since 2000. Edgar handed his successor a surplus of more than $1 billion in state revenue. Bond ratings had been upgraded a handful of times during his tenure, a first in Illinois history. Lots of people grumbled at Edgar’s fiscal austerity, but he left office at the end of his eight-year tenure more popular than ever, with a 60 percent approval rating.

It was hard to see at the time, but the start of Illinois’ downward slide came with the election of George Ryan as governor in 1998. A Republican pharmacist from Kankakee, Ryan was an imposing figure with deep-set eyes, a gravelly voice and large hands that barely budged when you shook them. He rose through the ranks in Springfield as a legislator, House speaker, lieutenant governor and secretary of state. When Edgar decided to retire, Ryan was the logical choice for Republicans. His term as governor extended the GOP’s winning streak for that office to 26 years.

Go read it, its good (and free to access).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That was good, and my biggest take away was that the 2001 and 2008 recessions killed the budget, and Governors Ryan and Blago hosed around with pensions to make it work and it backfired horribly. Does seem like the state could not endure a recession, and it's so aggravating to see the budget still in a deficit during a huge period of economic growth. I really don't want to know what's going to happen if a recession hits in the next 1-2 years.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I didn't read it but anything absolving Edgar is wrong

and under Thompson they did the 3% cola no matter what. Probably exempted pensions from taxes then too, I'm not sure when that passed

this poo poo goes back to the constitutional convention in the 70s and even before. It's going to be a battle of haves and have nots and a ton of hatred on each side towards the other

caveat: my dad gets a super sweet pension and I directly benefit from it, but I still can't stand how they work. neither can he, he quit his state job out of frustration over lack of any realistic pension changes. it's not like JB is going to change anything

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm having trouble following the underlying assumption but is it essentially that Edgar and politicians before him in the 80s and 90s underfunded the pension contributions through mathwizardry. When the 90s economy fell apart in 2000, the math couldn't hold together and the bill came due (in 2012)?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thwomp posted:

I'm having trouble following the underlying assumption but is it essentially that Edgar and politicians before him in the 80s and 90s underfunded the pension contributions through mathwizardry. When the 90s economy fell apart in 2000, the math couldn't hold together and the bill came due (in 2012)?

yeah they said look we aren't going to pay jack poo poo into pensions now but ramp up payments later. we totally swear future pols will do this no problem. wow our budget is balanced for this year! time to retire and take cushy gigs
*time passes*
new politicians: uh we aren't gonna pay these way higher contributions for pensions what the hell

smame with the 3% increases for cola. back then that was below inflation so it was a cost saving measure, then turned into a boondoggle

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

So when was the last time Illinois was truly paying the correct amount into the pension program, never?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bird in a Blender posted:

So when was the last time Illinois was truly paying the correct amount into the pension program, never?

yeah that'd be my guess, especially once the state constitution said the pensions can't ever be impaired so you could always pass the buck while never hurting the pensioners

the only solution is to acknowledge the state agreedd with tons of people to pay half their salary now and half later , stop having pensions with new hires and get additional revenue to cover the last 50 years of mistakes.

which of course will never happen. and I have no idea how that would work with the eight million local entities that all promised pensions too , state bailout I guess which will just make everyone mad.

in case you didn't know this is in the 1970 constitution. no idea if it existed in prior ones.

quote:

SECTION 5. PENSION AND RETIREMENT RIGHTS Membership in any pension or retirement system of the State, any unit of local government or school district, or any agency or instrumentality thereof, shall be an enforceable contractual relationship, the benefits of which shall not be diminished or impaired.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 7, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

yeah that'd be my guess, especially once the state constitution said the pensions can't ever be impaired so you could always pass the buck while never hurting the pensioners

the only solution is to acknowledge the state agreedd with tons of people to pay half their salary now and half later , stop having pensions with new hires and get additional revenue to cover the last 50 years of mistakes.

which of course will never happen. and I have no idea how that would work with the eight million local entities that all promised pensions too , state bailout I guess which will just make everyone mad.

in case you didn't know this is in the 1970 constitution. no idea if it existed in prior ones.

Yeah the 1970 constitutional convention really hosed a lot of things up. Flat tax is in there too. Who thought that was a good idea?

Anyway one thing you can always always count on Illinois politicians to do is kick the can down the road, that's what's what's been happening for at least 30 years maybe more. Quinn tried to do some damage control (in the worst possible loving way) and got beat for it.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Lot's of people think Flat Taxes are a good idea. Lots of voters don't think things through or seek out the evidence. Other people are misinformed libertarians or openly maliciously oligarchs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I didn't read it but anything absolving Edgar is wrong

Edgar is a likable guy so people go easy on his colossal fuckups. The Edgar Ramp was devestating for the state. Same with the COLA increase under Thompson. It's amazing that a building is named after him. This state has been run by complete bafoons for so long.

Also everyone who voted in the 80's and 90's in this state deserves a kick to the groin.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the only thing Thompson did right was having gay orgy pool parties all the time

good for him

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GOP really putting out their best and brightest. He's not even the worst one running if we count the Nazi guy.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/389338-illinois-gop-house-candidate-said-beyonce-had-ties-to-illuminati-9-11

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
9/11 truther is way cooler than Holocaust denier

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

mastershakeman posted:

9/11 truther is way cooler than Holocaust denier

I'm excited to here about his Beyonce conspiracy theory. "Beyonce's umbrella is the umbrella of shadow government."

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Several years ago, at an at-risk youth education conference, we had a lady who was going to be giving a keynote presentation about media issues with teens.

It started off somewhat normal. She was a former actress who had been in a background scene of some 90s teen romance movie. She talked about working in Hollywood and how they work hard to create the perfect “art” to make pull in teens and their disposable income.

Then it went into crazy land. She talked about how becoming a born again Christian made her want to leave Hollywood and start a god fearing family. She then realized that Hollywood was trying to brainwash children to all different sort of things especially anti-Christian. She then went onto a 5 minute rant about Beyoncé’s alter ego as being Bey possessed by a demon. That demon takes over to help lure at-risk youth to be devil worshippers.

Yep, it was completely batshit! This guy is probably something similar but replace Satan with globalists.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The ERA squeaked by with a vote to spare.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-equal-rights-amendment-illinois-20180530-story,amp.html

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

:lol:

https://twitter.com/Suntimes/status/1002218881820319744

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sure, why the hell not, I mean things can only get so dumb. My only question is why? What the gently caress does Trump owe Blago that he would do that for him?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There's speculation it's just signaling that Trump is willing to pardon anyone to keep his loyalists loyal.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Sure, why the hell not, I mean things can only get so dumb. My only question is why? What the gently caress does Trump owe Blago that he would do that for him?

Seems like he's setting up a narrative that the feds are abusing their power for when he needs to pardon his friends and family.

Or it could just be as simple as he was on The Apprentice.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, I guess I can believe that. The Trump administration actually does seem to know how to manipulate people to get them to believe their narrative. Maybe Blago can get back in time to run for Chicago mayor too. I want maximum chaos.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he just liked him on The Apprentice

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

In actual, real life good news that doesn't involve our corrupt former governor, the IL house passed the proposed budget 97-18 after it passed the senate passed it 56-2 yesterday. Broad bipartisan support and I don't see a world in which Rauner won't sign it into law.

We (probably 🤞) got a for realsies budget.

I mean, the state is still hosed long-term, but it's better than it was.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The budget has quite a bit of sleight-of-hand in it to make it "balanced".

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/budget-bills-heading-to-gov-rauners-desk-after-bipartisan-passage/

quote:

The budget would spend nearly $38.5 billion and includes major pension savings. The bulk of those savings would come from voluntary buyouts for people eligible for state pensions. Former state workers could opt out of their pension at 60 percent of the value and choose to invest that money elsewhere. Lawmakers used a Missouri model, and said the proposed estimate came from the pension systems themselves. Other savings include a 3 percent compounding cost-of-living adjustment for employees in retirement who are now covered by the state’s most expensive packages. Those retirees would be able to cash out for 60 percent of the value and utilize the more basic cost-of living adjustment.

There are some contingencies, such as the inclusion of sale of the James R. Thompson Center to bring in $300 million. The sale has been a point of contention for years and was also in Rauner’s budget proposal last year.

So we're banking on a lot of people cashing out of their pensions, which may or may not happen, and we're going to sell off state assets. What do we sell of next year for $300 million to make the budget work?

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 31, 2018

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
We could go full RoboCop and privatize the police.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Blago was on Celebrity Apprentice. Martha Stewart was prosecuted by James Comey.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be willing to bet that Blagojevich fed Trump some allusions to dirt he has on Obama.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I look forward to Blago's pardon being described as "reaching across party lines"

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Trump has already said that if he commutes Blago that it is him connecting with Democrats.

Patty Blago went on Fox News and said that Comey and Fitzgerald went after her husband to take down and governor and overstep the will of the people just like how they are trying to do to Trump. That right there is the play (along with Blago was on the Apprentice)

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Trump has already said that if he commutes Blago that it is him connecting with Democrats.

Patty Blago went on Fox News and said that Comey and Fitzgerald went after her husband to take down and governor and overstep the will of the people just like how they are trying to do to Trump. That right there is the play (along with Blago was on the Apprentice)

I'd like to think that the will of the people would include wanting non-corrupt politicians. At least before Nov. 2016 anyway.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The vote to impeach was 114-1. The vote to convict was 59-0. The people didn't seem to have any issue with their representatives making those votes.

A jury sat and listened to evidence and convicted him as well. He had a 3% approval rating.

Sure seems like the "will of the people" was to put that piece of trash in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But in 2018 history is malleable and all you have to do is say what you want the truth to be really loudly and frequently until everyone accepts it as reality.