Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

prisoner of waffles posted:

ahhh, is that why you're getting the worst treatment, because you're the one who best understands how unfair/unrealistic/unpleasant the environment is?

Maybe? He's also said a lot of gross stuff about women, and I'm the only woman in our office. And as a more personal thing, this isn't the first abusive situation I've fell into, and he's the same 'type' as the previous two (although this is the first professional one).

I don't want to delve too deeply into that aspect of it, but it's something I'm particularly vulnerable to, and from my experience, abusive people seek out people to abuse.

edit: This is a terrible page snipe, I'm sorry. As a gently caress you to my boss, I found a shortcut key to use word wrap so now I can toggle whenever I want and he'll never know!

Shirec fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

:yotj: Two days until I'm done with fintech (at least until I decide I want money again) :yotj:

Because I was running low on things to do, I now have the super fun job of cataloguing every single SQL query used by our DAOs so that our DBA can review them. This includes programmatically stitched together queries.

I should probably be thankful that our codebase is relatively well organized so that at least I don't have to look anywhere other than our DAOs for the queries, but drat if this isn't some tedious bullshit.

Shirec posted:

edit: This is a terrible page snipe, I'm sorry. As a gently caress you to my boss, I found a shortcut key to use word wrap so now I can toggle whenever I want and he'll never know!

gently caress yeah stick it to the man

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shirec posted:

As a gently caress you to my boss, I found a shortcut key to use word wrap so now I can toggle whenever I want and he'll never know!

Hit that poo poo with your middle finger(s) every time for a bonus!

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

CPColin posted:

• Resolved all XSS and XSRF vulnerabilities.

All vulnerabilities? Did they just run their app through Contrast or something and fix all the alerts that they didn't ignore?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you so sure the alternative really is better? Other changelogs might be omitting mentions of security holes you could drive a truck through simply because they aren't even acknowledging they have a problem.

This. All software is trash.

At a previous job I discovered and fixed a bug that was leaking large amounts of redacted information (legal software used by private and public firms/agencies). Just a trivial check with forensics tools and they could get unredacted documents easily. This was something that could have been detected and fixed in files already generated if our users knew about it. No mention in patch notes. When I asked about it I was told that 'nobody would use our software if this was discovered'. Probably true, even though we actually did have a much better quality product than our competition who likely had similar or worse issues.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
One person writing tests while another person works on the implementation isn't an inherently terrible idea, and can help ensure that the tests and code don't both fail to handle some edge case that didn't occur to you. Ideally it's more of async pair programming, though, and would involve just two people and switching between roles on a regular basis.

An entire team writing tests that an entirely separate team in a different time zone is making pass just sounds hilarious.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Can anyone give me insight on the switch from small startup -> giant tech multinational? I've been given a pretty serious invitation to apply at said giant multinational from a former manager who is now a team lead over there, with assurances that most bureaucracy will be bypassed and interview process streamlined. Naturally I'm interested but the largest company I have ever worked for had like 20 employees, not thousands.

I guess what I'm mainly concerned about is how these places operate. I've only worked at startups because I like building things out and feeling like I'm an actual contributor, and I feel like that's impossible once you are just one of a hundred on a team.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

vonnegutt posted:

Can anyone give me insight on the switch from small startup -> giant tech multinational? I've been given a pretty serious invitation to apply at said giant multinational from a former manager who is now a team lead over there, with assurances that most bureaucracy will be bypassed and interview process streamlined. Naturally I'm interested but the largest company I have ever worked for had like 20 employees, not thousands.

I guess what I'm mainly concerned about is how these places operate. I've only worked at startups because I like building things out and feeling like I'm an actual contributor, and I feel like that's impossible once you are just one of a hundred on a team.
The interview process can be streamlined. That's not usually where the red-tape is. Once inside though ... it all depends. There will definitely be jobs/places in that big organization where your contribution will feel insignificant. But there are also jobs where you can go home and say: "I just made them 50 million $ this year. Thanks for this $100 gift card. And $10000 bonus at the end of the year.". There is bureaucracy. Always will be. No, you cannot just spawn a new database in the datacenter, you will have to file a ticket, provide the relevant information, and wait for IT (DBAs) to do it for you and give you credentials. No, you cannot just push the app that you've worked on in production, not until after it goes through their process (whatever that may be).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Despite anyone's hypothetical best efforts, and even if the company has managed to structure itself in a way that emphasizes the autonomy of development teams, there will be constant pressure to have more people involved in every decision. Some of these quorums will be pushed above the threshold where the number of lines of communication involved makes it impossible to get a final answer in a timely manner.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I guess that's all to be expected. My question is - is it worth it to get a recognizable name on the resume, the paycheck, and access to big, crazy problems and crazy smart people? I like the autonomy, but I also am getting bored setting up Javascript forms that write to sql fields.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

vonnegutt posted:

It depends on how they're organized. Some larger organizations adopt a true devops model where the teams themselves are empowered to do what needs to be done (within certain limits or with certain restrictions, of course). Some larger organizations adopt an antiquated central IT model where you have to dig through layers of red tape to be able to install a third-party tool on your PC.

It's something to dig into during the interview process. If you have a person on the inside, they can give you a realistic picture of which of those two extremes you'll encounter.

I've seen both models at both extremes. The worst was a certain major insurance company where we needed a VM provisioned in order to do our work. We requested the VM months in advance of our start date. When the engagement began, they still had not provisioned the VM. We sat there for a week with assurances it would be provisioned "soon". We told them to reschedule with us when the requested resources would be available.

The VM was available 6 months after that. But our credentials weren't. 3 additional weeks waiting for credentials. Oh, and the VM wasn't provisioned to our specifications, but at that point I didn't care enough to see how long it would take for them to correct the issue.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 31, 2018

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

vonnegutt posted:

I guess that's all to be expected. My question is - is it worth it to get a recognizable name on the resume, the paycheck, and access to big, crazy problems and crazy smart people? I like the autonomy, but I also am getting bored setting up Javascript forms that write to sql fields.

If all you're actually doing is setting up JavaScript forms that write to SQL fields then it seems like you aren't really losing out on anything.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

vonnegutt posted:

I worked at a big place, slummed it at a couple startups, now I'm back at a big place. I left the first place after seeing problems and areas I could really help and not being able to because of where I was in the org structure, those frustrations do exist and it's a legitimate fear.

Startups make you wear many hats. At my last one I was the only firmware programmer. Nobody reviewed my code, I was my own QA, and had to wear my dusty EE cap and break out the soldering iron when the CTO was out doing marketing. I spent an afternoon wiggling an ethernet cable through a wall to get to our lab. Here I'm responsible for one thing: I write code. I push a button and my changes are put through a professional QA system, when I hit a bug with a tool I file against the owners and it's on them to go fix it or provide a workaround. I'm on a team with a handful of other software professionals who review my code at a bare minimum, and can chat about problems and solutions. There's teams of people supporting me, doing all the network cable routing, QA, etc. that I had to do at a startup.

At my startup jobs, my 'total units shipped' was 5k at one place, ~30 at the other. Now my code runs on a billion devices. Sure, I'm sharing that accolade with some other folks, but my contributions are in front of a lot more people.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's no meaningful correlation between the size of the company and the technical interest level of the work you'll do there.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Portland Sucks posted:

If all you're actually doing is setting up JavaScript forms that write to SQL fields then it seems like you aren't really losing out on anything.

I think the fear is that that'd be the new job, too, but

Bongo Bill posted:

There's no meaningful correlation between the size of the company and the technical interest level of the work you'll do there.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shirec posted:

Maybe? He's also said a lot of gross stuff about women, and I'm the only woman in our office. And as a more personal thing, this isn't the first abusive situation I've fell into, and he's the same 'type' as the previous two (although this is the first professional one).

I don't want to delve too deeply into that aspect of it, but it's something I'm particularly vulnerable to, and from my experience, abusive people seek out people to abuse.

Have you considered talking to an employment lawyer or similar? This place sounds like it has "hostile work environment" written all over it, and you could consider giving them a big ol' legal gently caress-you when you leave.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

redleader posted:

Have you considered talking to an employment lawyer or similar? This place sounds like it has "hostile work environment" written all over it, and you could consider giving them a big ol' legal gently caress-you when you leave.

I don't think it qualifies? I've read some things that hostile work environment definitions are a lot more stringent than people realize. Also I know some folks in the Newbie thread have pointed out that he's been laying the ground work since almost day 1 to fire me with cause.

I wish I worked at a place that let me take some vacation days though, today was particularly challenging :smith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

vonnegutt posted:

Yes, 100%, though depending on where you go and what to do you might just be setting up JavaScript forms to write to SQL fields AT SCALE and also your environment is 5 years out of date.

Shirec posted:

I don't think it qualifies? I've read some things that hostile work environment definitions are a lot more stringent than people realize. Also I know some folks in the Newbie thread have pointed out that he's been laying the ground work since almost day 1 to fire me with cause.

I wish I worked at a place that let me take some vacation days though, today was particularly challenging :smith:

Even if you're fired with cause it can still be construed as a hostile work environment or better yet retaliation. Of course odds are good you would be trying to recover blood from a stone in the form of legal fees when all is said and done.

Still though, make an upper decker when you leave.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Bongo Bill posted:

Ding ding ding

vonnegutt posted:

Are you sure you're going to find crazy smart people? You're more likely to find dump people or crazy people. Sometimes you even get crazy dumb people. In a huge company, people can kind of bounce around out of their core competency--if they had one to begin with.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Shirec posted:

Yeah, I don't know much about employment law - but the way you describe your boss like an abusive partner (unless I misread your post) suggests that this is a bit more troubling than your average lovely boss. And there's this:

Shirec posted:

Maybe? He's also said a lot of gross stuff about women, and I'm the only woman in our office

which sounds pretttty illegal.

I mean, I get why you'd prefer to just leave that place alone entirely and forget all about it - I'd want to do the same! But I think that we all lust for justice, or alternatively :murder:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I'unno. Shirec's boss is an harassing rear end in a top hat who is terrible at his job, so in the best of all worlds logging a complaint would work. The EEOC criteria state that "petty slights, annoyances, and isolated incidents (unless extremely serious) will not rise to the level of illegality. To be unlawful, the conduct must create a work environment that would be intimidating, hostile, or offensive to reasonable people." which is certainly true here but also hard to prove. The employer is additionally not liable if "the employee unreasonably failed to take advantage of any preventive or corrective opportunities provided by the employer" and the page has a lot of weasely "employees should also report harassment to management at an early stage to prevent its escalation"-type statements.

I hate to advocate surrender but it seems like harassment complaint could be one protracted headache of a fight where you hold very few cards unless you have coworkers backing you. Definitely check with a lawyer first rather than trusting the internet comedy forum to know one way or the other, but reporting the repeated HIPAA violations mentioned in the newbie thread seem to me like a more consistent and easier way to hopefully keep the guy from making GBS threads up anyone else's life once you're out.

Relatedly: you have 180 days to file a HIPAA violation complaint unless you can prove you had some specific good cause for delay. It looks like this is also the case for harassment complaints.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

In conclusion, kill your boss.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Kill him and claim his job as your own by rite of conquest.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you sure you're going to find crazy smart people? You're more likely to find dump people or crazy people. Sometimes you even get crazy dumb people. In a huge company, people can kind of bounce around out of their core competency--if they had one to begin with.

I will definitely jump in on this side of the argument - in my experience (banks), larger companies have less need for everyone to pull their weight, and more need for butts in seats that can churn out code at a reasonable rate.

You can definitely find smart people, but they'll probably be contractors, and they'll probably be the exception rather than the rule.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
The reason I think I might encounter smart people is twofold: first, the manager is one of the smarter people I've worked for and has snapped up all of the smart locals I know. Second, this is a multinational tech company, not a bank or random corporation, which I know isn't a guarantee but I think it's more likely I'll meet smart devs there than at the tiny midwestern startup tech meetups in my town.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go for it, at least go through the interview process. I like my current job so if I don't get an offer, no problem, and I should probably bite the bullet and start practicing Big Tech Company Interviews, because I do want to move on in the next few years if not today.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ChickenWing posted:

I will definitely jump in on this side of the argument - in my experience (banks), larger companies have less need for everyone to pull their weight, and more need for butts in seats that can churn out code at a reasonable rate.

You can definitely find smart people, but they'll probably be contractors, and they'll probably be the exception rather than the rule.

This is true in general, but most big companies do have a few teams who are doing really innovative work and have a definite need for smart people who pull their weight. The trick is finding them and getting past the interviews.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Volmarias posted:

Still though, make an upper decker when you leave.

Most office toilets don't have the backdoor access that enables this sort of attack, unfortunately :(

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
A "hostile work environment" means something fairly specific in the context of employment law, and a stupid rear end in a top hat boss does not come remotely close to it.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Most office toilets don't have the backdoor access that enables this sort of attack, unfortunately :(

Also doing that in the ladies room probably won't bother him. We're also in a shared office park so I'd be mostly bothering strangers haha.

Had an hour and a half meeting with him this morning about my current round of failures. He wanted to touch base on whether I wanted a long and fruitful career at the company, and then segued into my wrongdoings.

This is randomly picked from the conversation but some of them were: when he asked me to come look at something, I'd walk over without my glasses and then have to go get them, thus being inefficient. I was inappropriately non-deferential over company Slack and he said I came off as assuming I knew why he was asking question. I am not working enough hours outside of the office. I am taking too long to figure out bugs. I am insulting when I offer input/opinions to someone with 20 years more experience. I offer explanations and reasons when I'm told I did something wrong. I am too concerned with myself. My weekly doctors appointments take up too much time and I take my lunch every day.

A really big chunk of it was about how behind we are, and after spending a lot of time saying no one person is at fault, he kept saying that the reason we are behind is the data processor I developed because it took me a month to get working. In that month, he had me re-write it multiple times, most of them under his direct order of how to do it. The last round was the whole team hammering it out to get it over the finish line. I could read between the lines though and in his mind, I own this failure entirely. This was my first time working in backend code in depth as well.
He also spent a while explaining his hiring strategy: he goes for new devs (especially those with career changes into dev) because they are anxious, grateful, and will take his orders no question. Apparently I fail on that regard.

So that's my Friday so far

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Shirec posted:

He also spent a while explaining his hiring strategy: he goes for new devs (especially those with career changes into dev) because they are anxious, grateful, and will take his orders no question.

So, basically, "I hire people who won't tell me to go gently caress myself when I treat them like poo poo".

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shirec posted:

He goes for new devs because they are anxious, grateful, and will take his orders no question.

I feel sorry for all of this guy's sexual partners.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

He sounds like a combination of my first manager (who I think I posted about here) and an MRA pig.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Shirec posted:

Also doing that in the ladies room probably won't bother him. We're also in a shared office park so I'd be mostly bothering strangers haha.

Had an hour and a half meeting with him this morning about my current round of failures. He wanted to touch base on whether I wanted a long and fruitful career at the company, and then segued into my wrongdoings.

This is randomly picked from the conversation but some of them were: when he asked me to come look at something, I'd walk over without my glasses and then have to go get them, thus being inefficient. I was inappropriately non-deferential over company Slack and he said I came off as assuming I knew why he was asking question. I am not working enough hours outside of the office. I am taking too long to figure out bugs. I am insulting when I offer input/opinions to someone with 20 years more experience. I offer explanations and reasons when I'm told I did something wrong. I am too concerned with myself. My weekly doctors appointments take up too much time and I take my lunch every day.

A really big chunk of it was about how behind we are, and after spending a lot of time saying no one person is at fault, he kept saying that the reason we are behind is the data processor I developed because it took me a month to get working. In that month, he had me re-write it multiple times, most of them under his direct order of how to do it. The last round was the whole team hammering it out to get it over the finish line. I could read between the lines though and in his mind, I own this failure entirely. This was my first time working in backend code in depth as well.
He also spent a while explaining his hiring strategy: he goes for new devs (especially those with career changes into dev) because they are anxious, grateful, and will take his orders no question. Apparently I fail on that regard.

So that's my Friday so far
I hope to god that you get that job you're waiting to hear back from because this is some hellish poo poo. When you get that job I hope you just walk in, quit (don't do the two week notice for this shithead), and tell him to gently caress off.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I hope to god that you get that job you're waiting to hear back from because this is some hellish poo poo. When you get that job I hope you just walk in, quit (don't do the two week notice for this shithead), and tell him to gently caress off.

This but tell the poor newbies who don't know any better that this is the most unprofessional manager you've ever had the displeasure of working under and that you encourage them to seek better leadership elsewhere before doing the above.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

This but tell the poor newbies who don't know any better that this is the most unprofessional manager you've ever had the displeasure of working under and that you encourage them to seek better leadership elsewhere before doing the above.

I've told them that over and over, and they don't care. One of them tells me it isn't that bad and the other that I'm exaggerating. It honestly makes me feel even worse, because I doubt my feelings and experiences. They've never stood up for me, and I've noticed even the one that used to at least sympathize doesn't ever have time to go get lunch with me anymore.

Emailed my therapist to up my weekly appointments (as long as the rest of them are after work hours). These are the times where not having a IRL support network really kicks me in the teeth.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress those guys. They may be uneducated or brainwashed by rear end in a top hat boss and/or sexism, but theyre still complicit.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress those guys. They may be uneducated or brainwashed by rear end in a top hat boss and/or sexism, but theyre still complicit.

Very this

Shirec posted:

He also spent a while explaining his hiring strategy: he goes for new devs (especially those with career changes into dev) because they are anxious, grateful, and will take his orders no question.

this is so hosed up I can't even begin to imagine

like not only is he being a lovely boss, he's loving up the talent pool and these peoples' careers

thank god your company is small

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pollyanna posted:

My first programming job sucked in similar ways and, having only worked service jobs before, didn't know any better. The boss talking down to me was just normal.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When you leave, it may behoove you to leave documentation of the fact that your boss is 100% the reason why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

When you leave, it may behoove you to leave documentation of the fact that your boss is 100% the reason why.

I don't know who I'd give it to tbh.

Forgot to mention one particularly choice thing he said. I haven't earned respect, unlike my co-workers. Sorry if this is coming in fragmented, I'm really struggling atm