Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

HorrificExistence posted:

hot take:

fallout 1 was a very small game that was alright but not amazing, fallout 2 was good but too full of painful referential humor

fallout:nv is the best game in the series.

NV has this magic feeling I never got playing 3 and 4 and I'll never be able to tell you why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fallout 2 BSODd on me every time I did something on The Rig that could feasibly lead to me seeing the credits. Fallout 1 is good but I don't think I could play it again now. It was dated even back when I played through for the first time.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

hot take:

fallout 1 was a very small game that was alright but not amazing, fallout 2 was good but too full of painful referential humor

I think Fallout 1 was the first RPG that really you let a role play a character and featured a character build system that mattered more than combat. When it came out, stats that affected dialog and a reactive story line were a revelation. In some ways, other big RPGs that came out shortly afterward were steps back. Baldur's Gate was a gorgeous and big game, but it was also a straight up dungeon crawl with little to any player input into the story and no significance to character design outside of combat. It wasn't really until Neverwinter Nights/KOTOR that Bioware tried to implement some of what Fallout did, and even then it was only perfunctory. The only designers that really capture what made Fallout so compelling to me are Obsidian (duh) and CD Projekt--even though it doesn't have the character design flexibility, The Witcher series does the reactive story-based RPG quite well.

Bioware is pretty bad, it's only really good games are Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins and in general they set the genre back years. Bethesda makes cool fantasy GTA games, but their Fallout games are pretty lackluster.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

marktheando posted:

Are people really still angry about horse armour? It’s been 12 years.

Considering it was the herald of modern DLC and everyone's paranoid, worst case scenario fears came true, yes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

hot take:

Real talk, but I think FONV has the advantage of being set in an interesting world that could not have happened without the developmental stages of FO1 and 2. I guess it's the Fallout universe hitting a mature stage, where the various factions and conflicts are significant mainly because there's enough history behind them to paint a interesting setting with.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Fallout: New Vegas is a game that is comprehensively designed by people that love designing and building games and Fallout 3 and 4 are designed and built by people that comprehensively loves their own ideas.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mango sentinel posted:

Considering it was the herald of modern DLC and everyone's paranoid, worst case scenario fears came true, yes.

Free modding certainly is dead now, yes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still think new Vegas has one of the most extensively interconnected game worldspaces ever designed. Apart from a handful of locations that are not tied to anything else, pretty much the entire map is laid out in such a way that the inhabitants and locations react to one another. Why is 188 here? Well, Primm got hit by powder gangers and Sloan has a deathclaws problem, so people go there to trade and avoid trouble. Why is Sloan important? They make limestone and concrete which the NCR uses to fortify the river. Why is the Colorado important? It's a natural barrier between NCR and legion and it's one of the few freshwater rivers left without radiation poisoning. etc etc etc. Everything exists in response to everything else and it builds into this whole cohesive world where things have a history you can follow and infer on your own, rather than question why diamond city is half a block away from a super mutant encampment and fifty raider bases.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Neurolimal posted:

I'm more confused by how people are adopting fake dead accents, casually referencing Moby Dick, but somehow have no idea how Baseball works.

I'm fairly sure there was a medieval game, possible jousting but it could be something else, that was popular and we'll known enough among the populace that no one bothered the right down the rules in detail that survived to this day - we know that the game was played, but not many specifics.

So maybe the rules for baseball could have been lost, and the violent nature of the Wasteland has warped people's minds? Or just that one guy is an idiot?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Arcsquad12 posted:

Everything exists in response to everything else and it builds into this whole cohesive world where things have a history you can follow and infer on your own, rather than question why diamond city is half a block away from a super mutant encampment and fifty raider bases.

Mutants and raiders are guarding the magical store from the past that allows you to mix paint.

Limestone is used to make cement. What you said makes me kinda want to replay NV.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 1, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

calm down we've all put 500 hours into fnv

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dan Didio posted:

Fallout: New Vegas is a game that is comprehensively designed by people that love designing and building games and Fallout 3 and 4 are designed and built by people that comprehensively loves their own ideas.

Let's ask Ulysses about ideas

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tenzarin posted:

Mutants and raiders are guarding the magical store from the past that allows you to mix paint.

Limestone is used to make cement. What you said makes me kinda want to replay NV.

Cement then, not concrete my bad. But do go back and really look at the layout of the Vegas map and see why things are set up as they are and what NPCs have to say about it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I always thought it was weird in F3 that they made it a minor plot point that the pip-boy goes on at age twelve and can never ever be removed until death and then if it's not done right it's unusable. Something that wasn't really a thing in the preceding games and was completely ignored by NV and F4 and doesn't even really make sense.

I think that was just Vault 101 because of its Orwellian overtones.

LashLightning posted:

I'm fairly sure there was a medieval game, possible jousting but it could be something else, that was popular and we'll known enough among the populace that no one bothered the right down the rules in detail that survived to this day - we know that the game was played, but not many specifics.

We also don't know what the thumb gesture was at gladiator games. It was so widely known at the time that nobody bothered to write down what the gesture was.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Let's ask Ulysses about ideas

Do you have a problem with the character 'Ulysses', RBA Starblade?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Fallout 76 is the new Xbox 1.

Gonna get a whole lot of pushback because of the initial reveal but actually turn out to be decent but also good luck getting people to change their mind once they've made it?

Yeah, I can see that.

I guess that makes me feel a little better about this game? You see what you made me do? You see?

marktheando posted:

Are people really still angry about horse armour? It’s been 12 years.

See above.

MariusLecter posted:

Also you buy it off the creation club.

It was free a couple months back which is the only reason I have it.

mango sentinel posted:

Considering it was the herald of modern DLC and everyone'sPC modder's paranoid, worst case scenario fears came true, yes.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Byzantine posted:

I think that was just Vault 101 because of its Orwellian overtones.

Nope, the Gary that you find in the VR room at the brotherhood outcast base for Anchorage is missing his left arm, implying that the actually did cut his arm off to get his pip-boy.

I think it was just a really stupid attempt to paper over the obvious "ok, but why do *I* have to do it" question that the team working on the dlc only realized would come up a week before release. I am 100% on board with them pretending it never happened.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I remember the Skyrim Paid Mods fiasco and the hilarity that ensued for a while
I do believe there was a golden turd for $100
Or maybe it was a $10 potato

Still don't want that anywhere near Fallout or anything in general, really

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dan Didio posted:

Do you have a problem with the character 'Ulysses', RBA Starblade?

Besides Ulysses himself being a dumbass no. What I mean is that New Vegas is literally all about a few key ideas and concepts culminating in the final encounters in the main game and the DLCs being a debate about them. You had it backwards.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Viva Miriya posted:

I had to uninstall because I literally have no selfdiscipline and wasted alot of time on break. But uhh i got the gist of it and had fun.

I feel like I would have beaten vanilla FO1 by the time ive knocked out broken hills and started on new reno in the restoration patch. This also covers doubling back for the vault city poo poo and the new vault village.

Maybe not totally accurate time wise but i def feel that way.

E: i feel i should just check out a lets play or something. Theres one up for 2 right?

Thats a shame, you should totally come back to it though, if you haven't even hit power armour you haven't *played* FO1 or FO2. Those Slavers you ran away from between the Den and Modoc because they had leather armour and 10mm SMGs? Yeah go back and clean up the waste land with power armour and a bozar.

Lets pretend Zenimax pulled all their development studios together and made a co op 1st person CRPG with: the graphics and physics of the newest DOOM game, the visual design of Wolfenstein TNO, the interactivity of Prey and a storyline/quest structure by NV era Obsidian. All that, without pulling anyone off the new mainline FO being made by Bethesda. Thats a game I would want to play. Obviously, thats never going to happen and FO76 is probably going to be middling to good at best and awful at worst.

But, if there was a good quality co op game set in Bethfalloutland that thematically hit some of the Fallout boxes and had solid shooting and exploration I'd be down with it. Play with friends, it'd be fine. (Of course I want a new Fallout that is an actual sequel to 1/2. )

Absolutely best case scenario is Fallout 76 secretly being Fallout: Resource Wars. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_Resource_Wars

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

LashLightning posted:

So maybe the rules for baseball could have been lost, and the violent nature of the Wasteland has warped people's minds? Or just that one guy is an idiot?

Apparently this was the case with the board game that was most popular before chess. It was so popular everyone knew how to play, so no one wrote down the rules. We have had to infer the original rules by reading, essentially, house rules people made up that changed the game in some way not everyone would know and therefore would get written down for reference.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

Nope, the Gary that you find in the VR room at the brotherhood outcast base for Anchorage is missing his left arm, implying that the actually did cut his arm off to get his pip-boy.

I think it was just a really stupid attempt to paper over the obvious "ok, but why do *I* have to do it" question that the team working on the dlc only realized would come up a week before release. I am 100% on board with them pretending it never happened.

It would have made sense even with New Vegas taken into account if removing a Pip-Boy properly required a special process that generally only Vault dwellers knew, so only Vault dwellers and the few outsiders with this knowledge could get them off and put them on new people.

Then Fallout 4 shows you just clipping it on in a few seconds with absolutely nothing special about the process, because Bethesda thinks consistency and continuity are for squares.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I kind of figured that the Pip Boy is programmed to stay on forever but badass wasteland technogeeks could hack into them and override it, hence you just getting one you can remove freely in New Vegas. Fallout 4 came out though and there's no mention of it being unremovable so I guess they just decided "whatever it's basically an apple watch"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LashLightning posted:

Nah, if the Fallout universe is anything like the real world you’d have extensive documentation on the rules of every sport because there’s professional leagues with tons of bureaucracy keeping them running and reviewing everything from rules to uniform regulations.

Bethesda’s idea of the future is filled with people who cargo cult stuff from the past that should have been so documented everywhere (especially with the information preserved in Vaults to teach American history) that nobody would get it wrong, but they immediately revert to comical tribalism as soon as you’re a few generations apart from Pre-War infrastructure.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

2house2fly posted:

I kind of figured that the Pip Boy is programmed to stay on forever but badass wasteland technogeeks could hack into them and override it, hence you just getting one you can remove freely in New Vegas. Fallout 4 came out though and there's no mention of it being unremovable so I guess they just decided "whatever it's basically an apple watch"

If Pip-Boys were only removable with a specific process, it would also explain why they’re not everywhere. Vaults like Vault 21 and Vault City opening up should be adding more Pip-Boys to the wasteland and the Brotherhood or NCR would have inevitably reverse engineered them to figure out how they work, but nobody but Vault dwellers and a few outsiders even know how to remove them so they’re useless to most raiders or crooks who wouldn’t know how to get at them.

Though Fallout 4 also doesn’t explain why the 10mm pistol is suddenly different for no reason.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Maybe the sport has evolved and that's just what baseball looked like in 2077.

edit: pip boy installation instructions vary from vault to vault, in a less well documented part of the vault experiment process.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chitoryu12 posted:

It would have made sense even with New Vegas taken into account if removing a Pip-Boy properly required a special process that generally only Vault dwellers knew, so only Vault dwellers and the few outsiders with this knowledge could get them off and put them on new people.

It's an idea that a decent writer could actually have had a lot of fun with. Maybe have a design document for RobCo's initial bid to Vault-Tech that explains the 3000's "features" it in the context of it actully being a monitor for the various tests.

"GPS tracking enabled and disguised as a map function."

"24-7 vitals monitoring with adjustible upload schedule to main servers"

"Our patented bio-lock means that subjects will never be able to remove the locator. You have our guarantee that your expirement will never have to be scrapped because of a breech of monitoring!"

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Besides Ulysses himself being a dumbass no. What I mean is that New Vegas is literally all about a few key ideas and concepts culminating in the final encounters in the main game and the DLCs being a debate about them. You had it backwards.

I'm genuinely confused by what you mean, unless you're seriously suggesting that the development of Fallout: New Vegas involving people having ideas is some kind of revelation, in which case, lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chitoryu12 posted:

Though Fallout 4 also doesn’t explain why the 10mm pistol is suddenly different for no reason.

Should have stayed as the classic 10mm revolver with the goofy ribbed foregrip

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013
Doesn't matter if the pip-boy can or cannot actually be removed. The fact that the people BELIEVE it cannot be safely removed is powerful enough for them not to attempt to do it. Or for others to remove limbs for it, I suppose. Also, the one you get in FO4 came off a dead guy's skeleton, and auto-rebooted when you put it on, for whatever that means.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In the far flung future of the wastes, few people know how to operate fence latches without breaking whatever they're attached to

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dan Didio posted:

I'm genuinely confused by what you mean, unless you're seriously suggesting that the development of Fallout: New Vegas involving people having ideas is some kind of revelation, in which case, lol.

quote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by Bethesda (and not Obsidian) loving their own ideas?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

out of universe explanation might be that it resembles a Deagle Brand Deagle but other games are far more egregious with it to the point that the manufacturers don't care so :iiam:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Iirc gun manufacturers don't mind games infringing on their trademarks, as long as the game makes the gun look cool so people want to buy a real one

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

chitoryu12 posted:

but they immediately revert to comical tribalism as soon as you’re a few generations apart from Pre-War infrastructure.

the fact that almost every city in FO canon (that is not Vault City vvvOR THE NCRvvv) is comprised of either ramshackle poo poo huts or squatting in the cratered ruins of the past is a big blow to my suspension of disbelief. human beings very quickly learned to develop a variety of habitat structures all over the world and the fact that 200+ years later there's no teepees or lean-tos or log houses or adobe or whatever is pretty dumb. plus different elements of the post-apocalypse society have learned how to do things like re-sequence the human genome or re-activate loving nuclear fusion reactors but somehow nobody bothered to build new, functional dwellings is just dumb as hell.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 1, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
NCR is almost exclusively build out of Adobe structures. Arroyo has tents like you ask for, and Hub is a big tent trading city. New Reno is built out of the skeleton of an old city but it is renovated.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 1, 2018

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yeah Fallout 1/2 basically had people living in older structures, new adobes, corrugated iron shacks and one singular junk town called... Junktown, tents also feature heavily.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why shouldn't they live in cities? The ruins don't decay after hundreds of years and the cities are mostly intact - Boston has random city blocks that have crumbled but it's skyline and major neighborhoods are fine. In fact, since the bomb hit in the far southwest outside of the city, Boston should be functionally one community, like New Vegas.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think New Vegas just looked like it did because of asset reuse from Fallout 3. All the important settlements like Goodsprings, Primm, Novac, Nipton, and the Mojave Outpost are pre-war buildings that people either moved into or kept living in for generations. If Obsidian had more time and budget, I can see places like Vegas being even bigger and prettier and all the settlements having swept floors and maybe new coats of paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's mostly just because that's the series aesthetic now, as little sense as it makes.