Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LyonsLions posted:

My favorite story about this is my (Japanese) coworkers who asked me if they should take bottles of tea with them on their trip to Italy. They were concerned that bringing enough tea for the whole trip would make their bags too heavy. I had never been to Italy but I said that Italians probably got thirsty too and there was most likely water to drink there if they didn’t want to bring tea in their luggage.

Well. They got back and were very upset with me, because they were so thirsty their entire trip and it was all my fault because I didn’t tell them to bring tea. I asked why they didn’t just drink water, and they said there weren’t any vending machines so they didn’t know where to buy it. So they were just thirsty and miserable the whole trip instead of just asking their tour guide to stop at a store or something. I asked what the other people on the tour did. Of course, they brought many bottles of tea with them.

Several years after that I went to Italy myself, and there were guys selling water on just about every street corner, besides all the normal sources of water like stores and faucets. I have no idea how they managed to miss that.

海外で外人に喋ることはいけません。
なぜのは謎です。

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

海外で外人に喋ることはいけません。
なぜのは謎です。

*な

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Sorry, Italians only drink espresso and wine. No water allowed in Italy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I got thirsty driving through the endless semi-rural sprawl of Virginia with my dad. Mostly because my dad is an rear end in a top hat speeder and by the time I identified a drug store behind those stupid (mandatory?!) trees that block the view from the road, it was far behind us...

Walking around tourist sites in Europe it's impossible to avoid water sellers, lol. Normal people problems arrived usually buying carbonated water by accident.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

dammit

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

When I was in Beijing in August I would've literally murdered a man for a bottle of cold water.

In Rome you don't have to buy water because some of the aqueducts are still functional and there are fountains everywhere on the streets with mountain spring water pouring out for free. It's great.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

When I was in Beijing in August I would've literally murdered a man for a bottle of cold water.

In Rome you don't have to buy water because some of the aqueducts are still functional and there are fountains everywhere on the streets with mountain spring water pouring out for free. It's great.

Some even have free sparkling water, it's great.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I’m in Osaka for a couple of days. Nothing much planned, just happy to be hanging out in Japan. My travel buddy is heading back to her home country ahead of me, though, so it would be nice to grab a drink some evening with some goons. Anybody around? I’m staying not too far from Umeda.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

goddammit I was just at space station tonight, if you'd posted earlier I would have noticed

I'm pretty much the only osaka goon around though (most of the others are in/around tokyo) and I work weekdays so uhhhhh idk

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Don’t worry about it- I actually ended up in Kobe tonight. I think it’s really nice. :dance:

Anyway, I’m hoofing it around all day in the sun most days, so I think I’ll keep the drinking pretty relaxed. Let me know if you get any free time.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Airbnb-removes-80-of-Japan-home-share-listings

Hope no one who had trips planned in the near future gets burnt by this!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
We just booked our airbnb's this last weekend.
:ohdear:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Sefal posted:

We just booked our airbnb's this last weekend.
:ohdear:

Did you get any notice? According to the article, most were removed Monday so... I would check real quick.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
No notice, just logged into airbnb and the trips are there. I think everything is ok?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Guess there's only one way to find out!

Honestly, you should just book a regular hotel

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not everybody's made of money.

All mine are still listed so seems good to go.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Not everybody's made of money.

All mine are still listed so seems good to go.

Only the incredibly wealthy visited Japan before, oh, two years ago.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

sale on Banksy art posted:

Only the incredibly wealthy visited Japan before, oh, two years ago.

Japan had these things called "hostels" prior to that, which were similarly priced to AirBnBs. However, you had to share a room with an entire sleep apnea support group.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan had these things called "hostels" prior to that, which were similarly priced to AirBnBs. However, you had to share a room with an entire sleep apnea support group.

If you’re not either drunk or tired enough for that to not matter then yer doing japan wrong

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

If you’re not either drunk or tired enough for that to not matter then yer doing japan wrong

You deeply underestimate my insomnia.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol have you considered fatherhood? Dads seem to sleep through everything.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Lol have you considered fatherhood? Dads seem to sleep through everything.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's always couch surfing, it's even cheaper than airbnb!

You can always book a hotel where or somewhere cheaper with free cancellation, that way if anything goes wrong you still have something to fall back on.

Tourism is most certainly a luxury, and securing accommodation is loving baseline. There's also Toyoko inn or dormy Inn

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You deeply underestimate my insomnia.

You deeply underestimate how much you should be drinking while in Japan

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Guys I'm going to Japan in two days I can still get seats for the best sushi ever aka Jiro right?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Guys I'm going to Japan in two days I can still get seats for the best sushi ever aka Jiro right?

Have you heard of sushi zanmai and how long will you be there

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Have you heard of sushi zanmai and how long will you be there

Is sushi zanmai a branch of genki sushi? I’ve heard genki sushi is the best and kawaii (cute) densha (trains) that bring your sushi (raw fish)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LimburgLimbo posted:

Is sushi zanmai a branch of genki sushi? I’ve heard genki sushi is the best and kawaii (cute) densha (trains) that bring your sushi (raw fish)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is literally what cabe does tho.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

You deeply underestimate how much you should be drinking while in Japan

Alcohol prevents me from sleeping nowadays. Aging sucks.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
As your elder, I can humbly assure you you aren't drinking enough.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The Okinawa airbnb got cancelled. Airbnb was a sweet ride while it lasted.
We are switching to hotels.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:(

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
AirBNB is bad. I recognize why people want to use it but it isn't worth the societal cost.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

And what societal cost is that?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Regular joes are entering into commerce between themselves instead of filtering their money through mega corporations! Ever heard of the trickle down effect!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

AirBNB is bad. I recognize why people want to use it but it isn't worth the societal cost.

yep. it may not be immediately visible in Japan but it's certainly causing problems in other places.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Regular joes are entering into commerce between themselves instead of filtering their money through mega corporations! Ever heard of the trickle down effect!

Instead of?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

AirBnB has definitely had a negative influence in the Bay Area housing market :/ Anything for sale under $1.5 million in my town got snapped up by investor groups and sits empty 1/2 the year between customers. Meanwhile the highways are clogged with 90 minute driving commutes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

But I'm a hypocrite because renting a whole apt/house is definitely the way to go with young kids and/or large groups. Lmao at just texting tourists the codes to a high security apartment building.