Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Looking forward to seeing the adventures of the Band of Hawks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
AfO's mask also resembled Kurogiri quite a bit in the first panel it appeared and had people wondering. Perhaps it's a motif for AfO's organization or, to put it another way, maybe Kurogiri is imitating something else?

LostRook fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 1, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Kind of looks like that Noumu has Muscular’s Quirk as well.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This chapter was neat and all but it's a real bummer to go a whole week without the kids

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't know at that screenshot looks like on your monitor, but all I can see are those three grey strips in the bottom left and the rest is just barely a greyish-blue blob of nothing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was wondering what we were going to do for an arc because the internships are over, we just did a school arc, and you can't have the kids tangle with the VA again so soon because it'd be really bad news for the school outside of officially sanctioned hero work.

So we're getting an arc maybe with no kids? Kinda gutsy if that's the case.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Since this arc seems to be focusing on Endeavor, we could be getting some more development on Todoroki. Maybe due to some circumstances he ends up getting roped into his dad's work, and Deku + a couple other class A guys could butt in to help him out behind the scenes or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wonder how hawks and tokoyami got along, given how drop-dead serious the latter is about everything

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I hope this arc is the return of Stain because I want to see him fight Hawks.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Fabricated posted:

I was wondering what we were going to do for an arc because the internships are over, we just did a school arc, and you can't have the kids tangle with the VA again so soon because it'd be really bad news for the school outside of officially sanctioned hero work.

So we're getting an arc maybe with no kids? Kinda gutsy if that's the case.

Are the internships done done, or were they just put on hold after the Overhaul crazyness? Now that Gran Torino is fired from teaching and Nighteye fired from living, Deku is going to need a new pro hero to intern with/ruin the career of, it would be pretty neat if he ended up having to work for Endeavor. Hell, I'd love to see him intern for any of these top 10.

Then again, this could be another short arc like the special training with the kids.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I have to admit I like Hawks gravitas a bit more than Ryukyu's "I can't accept this I'm not good enough...." stuff that is absolutely uninspiring.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Radish posted:

I have to admit I like Hawks gravitas a bit more than Ryukyu's "I can't accept this I'm not good enough...." stuff that is absolutely uninspiring.

I don't think either is good. In a moment where society needs to be reminded that they can trust heroes, Ryukyu's "I'm not good enough" is absolutely demoralizing, not humble, and Hawks is right that the heroes in general are not acting as they should. On the other hand, his own speech was horribly self-centered, pompous and ultimately idiotic (why should only how people see you matter? Are you saying results are pointless, but popularity is vital?). I get that he was genuinely trying to push Endeavour to show exactly what he's made of now that he's number one hero, but it wasn't the best way.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I agree.

I think we can all see that Wash's speech was clearly the most inspirational.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's only one man I trust to keep the streets clean.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On the new Nomu.

Looking at it for a bit. It appears that it's using it's own skin as a hood.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Terper posted:

There's only one man I trust to keep the streets clean.
Maybe we'll get a prison break so Wash can battle his true Arch Nemesis, Stain

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't know at that screenshot looks like on your monitor, but all I can see are those three grey strips in the bottom left and the rest is just barely a greyish-blue blob of nothing.

It's AFO, but I only saw it after I switched screens.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Maybe we'll get a prison break so Wash can battle his true Arch Nemesis, Stain

Oof

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It'd be a great fight to see how Wash handles a potentially now even more stubborn Stain.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Poor Chisaki was probably super jealous of Wash, and that's why he turned to evil.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If we're dealing with Nomu again, I wonder if we'll see that doctor that was seen with All for One that one time? The one that's probably also Deku's childhood doctor from the first chapter and may or may not have turned his grandson into the winged Nomu from Hosu.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Wash is Sasuke

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I wonder if Horikoshi is an old Resident Evil fan, because High End strongly reminds me of a hunter. Even its posture is reminiscent of those scaly bastards.

Hell, they're both bioweapons, too. Which means the perfected Nomus will be quirkified Tyrants.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think either is good. In a moment where society needs to be reminded that they can trust heroes, Ryukyu's "I'm not good enough" is absolutely demoralizing, not humble, and Hawks is right that the heroes in general are not acting as they should. On the other hand, his own speech was horribly self-centered, pompous and ultimately idiotic (why should only how people see you matter? Are you saying results are pointless, but popularity is vital?). I get that he was genuinely trying to push Endeavour to show exactly what he's made of now that he's number one hero, but it wasn't the best way.

I do wonder how much stock he really does place in ratings over achievements. It's always been a thing that despite having the best track record, Endeavor stood second fiddle to All Might because of the latter's overwhelming charisma.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Brought To You By posted:

I do wonder how much stock he really does place in ratings over achievements. It's always been a thing that despite having the best track record, Endeavor stood second fiddle to All Might because of the latter's overwhelming charisma.

Endeavor was second fiddle to All Might in everything, it was just that he was much closer to him in accomplishments yet could not hold a candle to everything else that All Might brought to the table.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Endeavor was second fiddle to All Might in everything, it was just that he was much closer to him in accomplishments yet could not hold a candle to everything else that All Might brought to the table.

The very first tag for endeavor was for how he had the most number of cleared cases even over All Might. And it was reinforced after all might officially retired that the public just has never had that high an opinion of endeavor despite his accomplishments. And it's attributed to the difference in demeanor and personality. Not just raw physical strength.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The very first tag for endeavor was for how he had the most number of cleared cases even over All Might. And it was reinforced after all might officially retired that the public just has never had that high an opinion of endeavor despite his accomplishments. And it's attributed to the difference in demeanor and personality. Not just raw physical strength.

I wonder if he had a higher number of cleared cases before All Might's injury forced him to limit his hero time?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blaze Dragon posted:

In the current environment in the manga, Hawks is absolutely right; right now, popularity is a lot more important than raw results for the top end heroes. All Might's power and worth wasn't that he was really good at saving people and beating up villains, it was that his sheer presence and charisma meant that he became a giant ideological symbol; All Might exists, so the people are safe and villains are going to get wrecked, period. That absolute belief in All Might stabilized society and suppressed new villains from trying their luck. Now that that's gone, it's more important than ever that the remaining top heroes build that sort of mythos again, which is more of a propaganda thing than a practical thing.

It doesn't really matter if Endeavor is really good at running around melting pickpockets and jaywalkers en masse and is the most prolific problem solver ever if the peoples' response to his presence is "Oh god, why are you here???" instead of "Thank god, we're saved!"

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Someone spotted this on reddit, but it looks like the room preceding the one High End is in is covered in child's wallpaper. That would be further proof that the VA is using children as stock for Nomus. Deku being born quirkless might have spared him from that awful fate.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if he had a higher number of cleared cases before All Might's injury forced him to limit his hero time?

It is a possibility. From the beginning of the series we know All Might is the kind of guy who was always on the job even going to the grocery store.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

You are right, I had forgotten about the sheer amount of work that Endeavor had done. On the other hand it is not just All Might's demeanor which made him the top hero. What broke Endeavor and changed him into the monster that he is today was seeing such a gulf in strength between him and All Might that Endeavor gave up all hopes of surpassing All Might and tried to literally breed a child to compete with him.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

As for the All Might stuff, it demonstrates that Endeavor's position was just as much if not more so due to his character than his abilities. The fact that he himself viewed it as a power issue reinforces how flawed his perspective is. Instead of being a fire that warms and protects, Endeavor chose to become an inferno that consumes crime, which only resonates with a narrow group.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunt11 posted:

You are right, I had forgotten about the sheer amount of work that Endeavor had done. On the other hand it is not just All Might's demeanor which made him the top hero. What broke Endeavor and changed him into the monster that he is today was seeing such a gulf in strength between him and All Might that Endeavor gave up all hopes of surpassing All Might and tried to literally breed a child to compete with him.

Monster he was 10 years ago. He's been pretty decent in the present.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah, he's still an rear end in a top hat.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Monster may have been too strong but it was only in the last couple months that he really began to question everything that he had done.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunt11 posted:

Monster may have been too strong but it was only in the last couple months that he really began to question everything that he had done.

True. But he had not really done anything really assholish In the present at all.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Hawk is both correct and intentionally hamming it up I think. Kind of reminds me of how Saitama acted at the end of the Sea King arc in One Punch Man.

The system itself functions as a deterrent first (don't do this or you'll have to answer to All Might) and a force second (let's go raid Overhaul's house). Endeavor probably clears tons of cases as an extremely strong enforcer but All Might likely prevented an order of magnitude more by just being self assured and yelling "I am here".

The fact that Endeavor perceived the difference between them as a quirk issue is definitely telling of how little he even thinks about character and poise, before you even get to the spousal abuse and selective quirk breeding.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 1, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hunt11 posted:

No he's definitely a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

True. But he had not really done anything really assholish In the present at all.

Not actively doing anything reprehensible right now doesn't mean he's suddenly not a monster. AfO might not be doing anything wrong while he eats his breakfast and drinks his morning coffee, but he's still a monster while he's doing it. The same goes for Endeavour.