Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Cultist Simulator is out, and was also Kickstartered. And didn't take forever and a day to make game videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

The new Eador was balls, but Gremlins Inc had some genuinely good ideas about strategy games, and the dev blogs for Spire indicate they at least are approaching it correctly. Be nice if it comes out good, of course.

im going to buy and play the oldest eador i can find and if its a bad homnm clone im gonna beat you up

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anticheese posted:

Cultist Simulator is out, and was also Kickstartered. And didn't take forever and a day to make game videos.

Lets talk about this instead. its by the guys who made fallen london so you KNOW its gonna be not just trash but england fetishization trash.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Normal Adult Human posted:

Lets talk about this instead. its by the guys who made fallen london so you KNOW its gonna be not just trash but england fetishization trash.

I am now intrigued. I hope he has someone else do the game play though. Sunless Sea in particular was some really amazing writing wrapped up in some pretty bad game play.

Edit: God drat card games :(

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
yeah the good news is that the gameplay of this game, being a card game, is pretty impossible to ruin. Although i would consider it less a card game and more a plate spinning simulator.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

counterfeitsaint posted:

I am now intrigued. I hope he has someone else do the game play though. Sunless Sea in particular was some really amazing writing wrapped up in some pretty bad game play.

His event chain for Stellaris is aces. He really should be hired to do more work like that.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
i just lost a game and when you start a new game you play as someone investigating your last self. that's neat.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

there is nothing lazier than making a video game about cards, like the entire point of making it a video game and not a physical game is that you can use anything except cards

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
You should shut your filthy mouth and play some Slay the Spire.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

cock hero flux posted:

there is nothing lazier than making a video game about cards, like the entire point of making it a video game and not a physical game is that you can use anything except cards

Congratulations, you have missed the advantages a digital card game can have.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Congratulations, you have missed the advantages a digital card game can have.

absolutely zero, none, and any you may come up with are hollow justifications for your own creative bankruptcy

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

cock hero flux posted:

absolutely zero, none, and any you may come up with are hollow justifications for your own creative bankruptcy

Man these are some strongly held video card game opinions you've got here

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
What if you want to play a complicated card game but not also have to keep track of all the rules said game requires?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

What if an elder god decided to change the rules midgame?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I really don't care for card games myself, but I don't know if I'd go as far as to declare anyone who ever made one creatively bankrupt because of it.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cock hero flux posted:

allow me to cut through those words: this is incorrect because functionally cultist simulator is a game about tokens, which aptly demonstrates that token-based gameplay is actually lazier than a game about cards.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
sentinels of the multiverse is a very fun co-op card game

and gently caress YOU if you want to play it in real life, the rules are a loving mess and i will let a computer keep track of it for me any day of the month

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Cards let you have rules written on them in a standardised format with icons that you can refer to without needing a clunky tooltip, and everyone knows how a card works and understands concepts like Shuffling and Face Down. But no let's make them Elder Stone Tablets or human sacrifices or something instead to be ~creative~

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
gonna go with fartpogs, gotta feed yo shoggoth on your cellphone with the right eldritcht spoiled yogurt so you can fling discs of concentrated improbability like a ninja

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AbortRetryFail posted:

Cards let you have rules written on them in a standardised format with icons that you can refer to without needing a clunky tooltip, and everyone knows how a card works and understands concepts like Shuffling and Face Down. But no let's make them Elder Stone Tablets or human sacrifices or something instead to be ~creative~

pretending that the cards are stone tablets or whatever doesn't make them not cards

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
where did the deck touch you when you were a child?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The number one argument for cards imo is that they are not dice or a lovely rng. If you roll a ten sided die ten times you might end up with duplicate ones ruining your plans. If you have a stack of 10 cards going from 1-10 you don't have that problem. Hell you can even plan ahead if you keep track of things.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Barely related but in that horrible Monster RPG tabletop game they had a damage draw pile of cards and every single one of the 40 cards or so in it say "take 1 damage". A bad use of cards :(

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So how is Cultist Simulator then?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Extremely cool and good. I eschewed guides and spent the first 10 hours failing with incremental improvements between each restart. Then it suddenly clicked for me and I have gotten to 'the know' part of the game, which is the peacock door.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Every time this pops up on the first page I go check the Kickstarter comments, and I'm always amused. This time had a real gem:

quote:

This is probably the most toxic Kickstarter that I've ever backed. I'm not surprised that developed has stopped considering the amount of negativity that certain backers have displayed. Maybe in the future you'll consider being supportive and constructive rather than just hate on the developers.

I have a Kickstarter from 2013 that still hasn't released, yet we still get annual updates from developer and everyone is supportive in the comments section. I might not get game until 2019 or 2020, but at least the developer knows he'll get a warm reception on release.

I think certain people who backed this game really need to look at their behaviour and think about how they present themselves in public.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Those people are the most baffling of the believers to me. "If we're nice he'll just magically change his very proven ways!" loving what?

Normal Adult Human posted:

im going to buy and play the oldest eador i can find and if its a bad homnm clone im gonna beat you up

It is in fact a good HoMM clone, with some cool stuff added. I don't know that it necessarily holds up very well though.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Thyrork posted:

It's a plate spinning simulator. There's some good ideas in there but actually playing the thing is tooth grindingly unpleasant. This is coming from someone who kickstarted it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's almost like that guy is a bad game designer and has proven it twice now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I like it :shrug:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Orv posted:

It's almost like that guy is a bad game designer and has proven it twice now.

alexis kennedy is one of those game designers who thinks of designing the actual gameplay as an annoying chore he needs to get out of the way and only wants to do the story bits

the story bits can be quite good but the gameplay he will put in if left to his own devices functionally doesn't exist, as evidenced by the fact that fallen london is basically just what would happen if some guy wrote a few dozen reasonably good books, separated all the pages and hid them in a big pile of other papers which all just said "you gain 40 pounds of magic honey". I fondly recall some dev diary thing failbetter put out about sunless sea where it is readily apparent that the concept of having you drive the ship around and shoot things was completely foreign to them and the guy who suggested it to them was looked upon as some sort of mad genius when they discovered that programming what was basically very slow paced asteroids was something they could actually do.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cock hero flux posted:

pretending that the cards are stone tablets or whatever doesn't make them not cards

radical card anarchy: a pog is a card

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Orv posted:

Those people are the most baffling of the believers to me. "If we're nice he'll just magically change his very proven ways!" loving what?

"He only hits me because I make him lose his temper."
"Mommy only drinks because you cry."
Same, but for dumb pixels and Kickstarter.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

cock hero flux posted:

alexis kennedy is one of those game designers who thinks of designing the actual gameplay as an annoying chore he needs to get out of the way and only wants to do the story bits

the story bits can be quite good but the gameplay he will put in if left to his own devices functionally doesn't exist, as evidenced by the fact that fallen london is basically just what would happen if some guy wrote a few dozen reasonably good books, separated all the pages and hid them in a big pile of other papers which all just said "you gain 40 pounds of magic honey". I fondly recall some dev diary thing failbetter put out about sunless sea where it is readily apparent that the concept of having you drive the ship around and shoot things was completely foreign to them and the guy who suggested it to them was looked upon as some sort of mad genius when they discovered that programming what was basically very slow paced asteroids was something they could actually do.
For all the "fine gameplay/dumb story" combinations I've ever enjoyed, an occasional reverse case is okay with me.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

When the gameplay somehow has less entertainment value than turning pages, you might as well go for a book so you're not distracted from the interesting purple prose.

That's my take on Fallen London. Sunless Seas was much improved after I multiplied the move speed and consumption speed of everything. No opinion on Cultist Simulator as I have yet to get to it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I greatly enjoyed Sunless Sea's gameplay, but in my youth my favourite game ever was Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons, so spending 15 minutes tacking into the wind, crawling at a snails pace up the coast of Africa to reach Lisbon while my supplies slowly ran out was an experience I was entirely pleased to see replicated in Sunless Sea.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So far Cultist Simulator is just confusing. I put cards into things and time passes then I sometimes get more cards back, but other times I get less or none. Many of the cards vanish after a short time. They say they can be used in other things, but I have no idea how to access other things. Sometimes new things appear and may or may not eat some of my cards. I have to manually put my job card into the work thing every 60 seconds and then collect the money cards before repeating the process or else I starve to death. Sometimes the new things which pop up will kill me if I have the wrong cards, or won't kill me if I have the right cards. All of those cards are temporary and come from actions which are sometimes only randomly available and sometimes give different outcomes. Once a different screen, a map, popped up - it had a lot of things on it but gave me no clue how to interact with it. I clicked on things a bit and then it vanished and I had my cards back again.

It's like keeping plates spinning, but the plates are randomly hidden all over your house and a few different people are moving them from place to place when you are not looking. Occasionally they will throw plates at you which you must add to the spinning, but you also must find specific plates to start spinning or a man will shoot you. Someone else keeps asking you questions about the details of the plates, and yet another person is kicking out the poles which the plates are spinning on. In the background someone is shouting out words from a thesaurus.

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.

Darkrenown posted:

It's like keeping plates spinning, but the plates are randomly hidden all over your house and a few different people are moving them from place to place when you are not looking. Occasionally they will throw plates at you which you must add to the spinning, but you also must find specific plates to start spinning or a man will shoot you. Someone else keeps asking you questions about the details of the plates, and yet another person is kicking out the poles which the plates are spinning on. In the background someone is shouting out words from a thesaurus.

This isn't inaccurate, but I'm still getting some fun out of it. A few tips that might help you:

You can pause with the space key and do things while the game is paused. Do this whenever the timer on anything runs out.

Health, Passion, and Reason are your "stats." You can study them for the currency that makes them better. That currency is time-limited, so you probably won't want to improve them more than once apiece until you get the book that makes improving that stat cheaper.

Does anyone know how to start a cult as the rich kid?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
use your massive amount of gold to buy books at auction, study them, and start a cult as normal. you can find followers by talking about invisible arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Coin posted:

Health, Passion, and Reason are your "stats." You can study them for the currency that makes them better. That currency is time-limited, so you probably won't want to improve them more than once apiece until you get the book that makes improving that stat cheaper.

I have found it easy enough to get more reason, but the things to get more health or passion seem to be rewarded very randomly, are time-limited, and you need two, so I have not managed it yet.

• Locked thread