Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Man, I cannot wait for that next DLC/patch. Is it me, or do the portraits even look a bit better and less generic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also finally adding in Culture Opinion modifiers (Scottish Opinion +5 etc).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That "Enables Tanistry" bonus is huge.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What's so good about Tanistry and why was I dumb for skipping it in my Ireland runs?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Any family member can become heir in tainistry, all nobles get to vote. It's not a bad way to keep the dynasty healthy/cause some weird election drama

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Any family member can become heir in tainistry, all nobles get to vote. It's not a bad way to keep the dynasty healthy/cause some weird election drama

Also it means your realm doesn't get gavelkinded to hell with every succession

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Oooh it says Basileus Makedon founder his dynasty on my birthday. Officially my favourite patch/update since the game came out.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 1, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not really a fan of the idea of bloodlines philosophically, but I guess maybe it can give a little buff to help historical characters over non-historical characters.

Although it'll also mean even more that the Karlings will be around forever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Tanistry is just an emergency out of gavelkind early on. It's just elective except the voting weight is for old useless guys. Like it's great they are of your dynasty but if your dynasty expands at all you're gonna have a lot of 2 years rule as you do a grand tour of every old as dirt weird great uncle before you manage to get someone under 50 elected.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So it's basically a tiocracy?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Don't let them marry. Keep them serially engaged to toddlers. That way if you die too soon and they inherit your good son/brother will be their heir for at least 10 years.

Do you have to do this, or can you just check "restrict marriages?"

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I really like that. Anything that makes it more of a story is good with me and the 'blood' of a legendary ruler staying in my dynasty as a reminder of past deeds is exciting.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So it's basically a tiocracy?

You are bad and should feel bad.

Good work.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although it'll also mean even more that the Karlings will be around forever.

Karling blood should lock you into Gavelkind and come with a fertility penalty.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Oh god this is going to make people OCD out even more making the immortal uber strong genius attractive bloodline of every historical character saoshyant roman emperor.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Is this a new character sheet layout I see? Also, Herbert's French, but I don't recognize his portrait set.. are we finally updating the default Western portraits? :stwoon:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah they've shown the new character sheet, and Holy Fury will apparently come with like at least three portrait sets.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 1, 2018

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Is this a new character sheet layout I see?

yes

from their stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=u2QfdRORddw

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

That button with the skull and axe is interesting. I wonder if that's going to be a list of characters they've killed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The list has already been confirmed, so probably yes.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah they've shown the new character sheet, and Holy Fury will apparently come with like at least three portrait sets.

Yeah, we've seen French and Slavic so far, I'm crossing my fingers for a revamped Arab or Berber.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh my god, you'll finally be able to keep track of your traits when you have a million billion of them.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh my god, you'll finally be able to keep track of your traits when you have a million billion of them.

Yes and personally I would just forgo the stupid icon in front of every row. I might mod that out.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Anyone here try AD 633?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Let the slow idiot be part of your story.

Seriously. This is a game you don't play primarily to win. Play it for the crazy stories. I cringed one Viking game when I got an idiot king I had been trying to get rid of. An early death and some gavelkind shenanigans led to my dynasty controlling Norway bad Sweden. I was working toward putting them together to get the Empire and reformation along the way. I was Norway and had a really good ruler but for whatever reason the Swedish king loving hated him. This guy wasn't even in line for Norway at all but still challenged him and murdered the hell out of him. Just kind of killed him and went home.

My heir was a gross glutton with crappy stats. He immediately got called "the fat." The instant rebellion was nasty but got put down. I was then low on gold so I just raided and faffed about some. Said fat idiot king subjugated Sweden, reformed the religion, conquered the hell out of every nearby non Norse pagan, and got the Empire together. I got this image in my head of a fat blob of a Viking always immediately running for the pantry every time he raided or conquered something.

He raised a rune stone to himself covered in his favorite recipes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What is this sappy poo poo? Where are the cursed blood lines? Let me collect all the unhappiness of the world into one syphilitic dwarf.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

White Coke posted:

Karling blood should lock you into Gavelkind and come with a fertility penalty.

No.

Gavelkind and a fertility bonus. And weighted towards producing sons.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No.

Gavelkind and a fertility bonus. And weighted towards producing sons.

This.

Cover the world with a Karpet of Karlings.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Airspace posted:

This.

Cover the world with a Karpet of Karlings.

That would probably keep the 769 start less blobby, at any rate

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

genericnick posted:

What is this sappy poo poo? Where are the cursed blood lines? Let me collect all the unhappiness of the world into one syphilitic dwarf.
Yeah, I mean, they already state that it's perception, so what about a line of cowards? Kinslayers?

Greeks?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

That made me chuckle. I like the cut of your jib.

Tomn posted:

Loads of prestige-boosting items, a couple of stat boosters, unique weapons, among other things. You can also get special characters to join your court as well - Chinese strategists that teach your generals special traits over time, bureaucrats and engineers that give you special province improvements and cuts build time/cost (can't remember which of the two), and for enough favor you can request an imperial marriage, which gets you married to a Chinese princess who usually has good stats, and who comes with an honor guard of Chinese troops that can be raised at will as a retinue in war. About 5k troops or so, if I recall correctly.

Are the troops really high tier then and do they spawn in a big group at your main holding or in smaller groups across the realm like levies? I take it they are only available as long as the princess is alive, then you need a new princess?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's a mix of light and heavy infantry and they all spawn in your capitol. You can only get them as long as the princess lives, but the peace deal with China/Western Protectorate that also comes with the marriage will always last 50 years, regardless of how long she lives. It's enough troops to make a difference when you go to war with an equivalent power or a civil war up until you get to like HRE or Byzantium size.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

It's enough troops to make a difference when you go to war with an equivalent power or a civil war up until you get to like HRE or Byzantium size.

Yeh I can imagine it's really handy for civil wars while you're small. If you start as a count too It'd be larger than any personal levy you could get for a while. I'll have to look into getting that honour guard asap.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

tanistry doesn't go about creating the tiocracy, great term, cuz as long as those old farts have land they won't get elected. towns, churches, baronies... whatever, as long as they have poo poo the voting systems just knocks them right out of contention. the ai hates voting for people who have holdings, which leaves them defaulting to random kids... probably not your own sons, but someone's, as long as that kid isn't first in-line to inherit anything already. I think the logic is that they're looking for someone they can bully, but that'll just be the player so good luck with that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

What's so good about Tanistry and why was I dumb for skipping it in my Ireland runs?

the worst thing that happens is that your distant crazy uncle becomes the new ruler. it's basically impossible to lose with tanistry unless your dynasty gets wiped out. like elective except some rando duke can't grab the throne for himself, and the potential for comedy is high because seriously the heir could be some distant nobody cousin who inherits the realm like some kind of cliche rags to riches story

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I could have been playing King Ralph: The Game?!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I could have been playing King Ralph: The Game?!

Now I realize why I love Tanistry so much!

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Thrasophius posted:

Are the troops really high tier then and do they spawn in a big group at your main holding or in smaller groups across the realm like levies? I take it they are only available as long as the princess is alive, then you need a new princess?

CK2: Send your chinese stepmom back to china for profit but keep the imperial guard.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Oh for fucks sake, this game is cursed. I have now lost 3 loving kings trying to revoke a title from one of my dukes. I go to war with him, my kings get sick and die. Nothing like a heart attack at 18 sitting at court.

At this point I guess I just have to save for the inevitable civil war which will probably end my dynasty since this 80 year old man is some sort of king killing wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Just wanted to give a shout-out again for people getting bored of conquering the world as Vikings or nomadic horsemen -- try being a vassal! I'm having a huge amount of fun as a Satan-worshiping plotting evil bastard of a duke, constantly destabilizing the Byzantine empire. The Basileuses barely last a few years before my inevitable plots to assassinate them topples them, which means the next in line always inevitably suffers civil wars of one type or another. My end-goal is to basically tear the empire apart, and it's so. Much. Fun. :getin:

• Locked thread