Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1002205610878816256?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
At what point does one buy DB and forget about it for 10 years?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

greasyhands posted:

After the reorganization? Seriously though I’m not sure. Bank balance sheets are opaque enough to make detailed analysis pretty difficult.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

greasyhands posted:

I would say never.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

Order executed: Sell xxx MU @ 61.93 Limit May 30, 2018

:feelsgood:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

greasyhands posted:

I've been wondering this for a long time. Maybe years at this point.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Liking lulu short at 105

E: woof, insurance calls save a bad earning bet

Woodchip fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 31, 2018

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
2/3 on SPY scalps today for +2.2%. :sg:

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
My $JILL calls did amazing. $LULU puts a total disaster

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

proctorbot posted:

My $JILL calls did amazing. $LULU puts a total disaster
The calls should more than make up for the outs loss though, right?

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
just barely. overall position size was substantially smaller on $JILL play. Sold about half the contracts today, recouped initial capital and some, now I'll see how the next couple trading days play out. It's not very liquid so I might be holding until expiry.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCVMNT86FB4

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What is a LULU FD?

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Lulu is Lululemon. FD is.... an option play that is only a week or so from expiry.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FungiCap posted:

Lulu is Lululemon. FD is.... an option play that is only a week or so from expiry.
When did they stop being called weeklies?

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Josh Lyman posted:

The person who called in is probably from /r/wallstreetbets ("my friend chad") where they call it that.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, to add on to the guy above it stands for "[slur]'s delights"

I don't quite get it either.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
It WSB speak known as "human being's delight", because buying a weekly is a delightful invitation for being hosed in the rear end. Also refer to them as "faggy d's".

Harry fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 1, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Okay, now I get it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

SAFM almost back down to where I sold it at... at least CALM is finally above where it was when I sold one set of chickens for another set.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

SAFM almost back down to where I sold it at... at least CALM is finally above where it was when I sold one set of chickens for another set.

Don’t kid yourself, these are generally lovely businesses

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
SAFM is a lot cheaper than where I sold it on a valuation basis (approaching a sub-4 EV/EBITDA), even though the price is higher. They've got more cash and a lot more earnings.

I think they were negative about this current quarter on the earnings call last week so I'm hoping it can drop a little more. But they're still making money hand over fist, with practically 0 debt and 0 bloat.

Shorts are still a huge percentage of the float.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
Jack and $JILL went up the hill... $JILL did not come tumbling after! whoo!

I love clothes for sophisticated middle age ladies yeah! yessir!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Was there unusual futures or options activity ahead of Trump illegally tweeting at 4:21am that the jobs number would be good?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
EUR/USD dropped and I made $20 but I only just became a total degenerate forex trader so it might've been something else.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
6/7 on SPY scalps today for +6.7% on the account. :mario:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Sexual Lorax posted:

6/7 on SPY scalps today for +6.7% on the account. :mario:

nice! what are you at on the month

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
long CRON at 6.28 :weed:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

nice! what are you at on the month

5/11 was the last time I reloaded the gambling account, so let's start counting after that to not take any credit for mashing the deposit button. From 5/14 to 6/1 I went +10.5% overall. I had one -16.9% day in that span that properly hosed things up. Since then, I've gone +30.0%.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Started shorts on HLF and NFLX today. Added some BPL and TERP (about 1/4 of my account is in TERP at just under 11 average... the market is way mispricing this) and joined you guys in CTL at 17.75 (I'm kind of scared of this one)

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Also bought CTL today at 17.77.

Sold out of MIND at 4.20, that was a limit order I set ages ago and forgot about. So like an 18% gain over 4 months. Probably should’ve held through earnings but I’m pulling out of energy for the time being.

Also sold F on Wednesday for 11.53 or thereabouts.

A good day for CAGDF has turned an instant 10% loss into a 6% loss. I traded GORO in for that and GORO has gained 20% since.

Bought 10 spy $273 puts two weeks out to celebrate. Out $500 so far. Can’t lose if you don’t sell.

Have 7.50 calls sold on NCMI for June 15 which are probably going to get called and $8 calls sold on CLF also for June 15 which looks like they’ll definitely get called. Will only have DX, CTL, and CAGDF left, and the last two are small. Having a lot of seller’s remorse as I watch everything run up without me but planning on sitting on cash for a while.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I downloaded Robinhood and can't believe I have to ask this. What are the option chains showing me? Even when a stock is down the app lists calls as a gaining value. Same for puts, if the stock is up it lists puts as gaining value as well. Are all price movements and percentages based on if you held the profitable position?

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

the thread title is so good as is.... but honestly needs something in it about Robinhood :hmmyes:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I downloaded Robinhood and can't believe I have to ask this. What are the option chains showing me? Even when a stock is down the app lists calls as a gaining value. Same for puts, if the stock is up it lists puts as gaining value as well. Are all price movements and percentages based on if you held the profitable position?

Prob best to post a screenshot here.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!

The price Robinhood shows is just whatever is right between the bid and ask. Some less liquid options have large bid-ask spreads, so as people/algos are jockeying for position by moving their bids or asks, the "price" Robinhood shows is jumping around without any contracts actually having been traded. I like to look at the "last sale" price.

Some options that are dated several months or years into the future are less sensitive to daily price movements. For example, Tesla LEAP puts might go up in price even if the price is up on a particular day, because someone is buying up contracts at that strike/expiry on that day. Especially true for less popular (i.e. less liquid) strikes. I think strikes at nice round numbers (100 or something) seem have more volume and open positions, where unusual strikes (say, 107) can have unusual price movements.

This is just my experience; I'm not an expert.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Agronox posted:

Prob best to post a screenshot here.

Good idea.

I'm using Abercrombie and Fitch (ANF) as the example here. They had a bad day on Friday and were down over 8%. Near-term Calls should plummet, near-term Puts should rocket. They did on normal options ladders like Yahoo:

Here we see the 15 June Calls getting destroyed on Yahoo because of the bad earnings:

Here is Robinhood's 15 June Calls page:

They are appearing to behave like calls on a good day, and many of the numbers don't match up at all with Yahoo's.

Whats going on?

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 2, 2018

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Given the last few days of trading ... I'm guessing this because of increased volatility and it would depend on the specific underlying, volume (like proctorbot said), and days until expiry.

So, like last week kinda wacky, with SPY sharply bouncing between a couple bucks. There is a potential for the price to move sharply in either direction, making both sides of the spread more valuable.

And there is some jockeying ... there is a bit of a game to work out the book, so to speak.

E: Ok, looking at that chart, this does not make sense to me either. I had an issue months back where robinhood pretty much told me option prices weren't displaying correctly and to get over it; but I could be mistaken in this case ...

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 2, 2018

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!

Good idea.

I'm using Abercrombie and Fitch (ANF) as the example here. They had a bad day on Friday and were down over 8%. Near-term Calls should plummet, near-term Puts should rocket. They did on normal options ladders like Yahoo:

Here we see the 15 June Calls getting destroyed on Yahoo because of the bad earnings:

Here is Robinhood's 15 June Calls page:

They are appearing to behave like calls on a good day, and many of the numbers don't match up at all with Yahoo's.

Whats going on?

Hmm yeah that seems effed up. The premium prices are lining up but obviously those percentages are strange.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Okay, so the prices "match" roughly--RH is telling you the mids of the bid-ask spread, so fine.

Why are the percentage changes whack? That I'm not sure about. There's not a lot of open interest in any of these, so I thought maybe it was going off the last trade, which may have been days ago, but that would only make sense if ANF had been trading lower back then, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Is it like this with more liquid options? Like if you ask for next months ATM SPY calls, same issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Actually, the one thing I can think of is that there were no bids and RH is going off the mark right at 930, which would not be accurate ...

E: The largest trade that day was BUY +132 ANF 100 15 JUN 18 22 CALL @.90 LMT, and it was the first trade of the day for that contract ... and the market was .80x.92 so who knows.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 2, 2018