Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Post anyway. Just because someone else's problems are worse, does not mean that yours are any less legitimate; if something's bothering you, it's bothering you, regardless of other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Agreed. Suffering is subjective. Complain away.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Picnic Princess posted:

Agreed. As creator of this thread, I wholeheartedly support complaining.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

buglord posted:

with any attitude adjustment in general its best not to burn the whole thing down when you slip up. Give yourself some allowances try better the next day, and move on. Your body knows what you eat and how you eat most of the time, you aren't long term screwed for a few days of chomping down. Although, cater this to your specific needs and do what's healthiest for you, and in line with your doctors/psych's orders.

Yeah, you're absolutely right, and this is definitely something I've learned over the years. I'm generally pretty good at moving on after a stumble when it comes to this, but when those stumbles keep piling up over a whole month it gets a bit dodgy. Still, even then I know there are periods where my body straight up dictates what it wants/needs and this is one of them, it's just the natural and logical end result of longterm restriction. From experience I know everything gained can be lost, so it should be okay. I don't want to complain too much since I know so many people struggle from the other side, and also what's objectively healthiest for me and what I want are currently very much misaligned, and publicly complaining from that angle just feels kinda lovely. :\ Just had to air it out somewhere that one time, I guess.

Thanks, by the way.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It's 6 am and I haven't slept because I was coughing all night in addition to having severe heartburn which has left me nauseous for hours. Guess I'm calling in sick.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I have a desk job. My boss gave me a higher raise than I deserve because his impression of me as a person is favorable and because of the nature of my work, he has no way in hell to know what I do or don't achieve during the days.
My colleague who works harder than me and delivers great results got a smaller raise. In other words, my boss is a boob and I want a better one because next time he makes an off-the-cuff decision without knowing the facts, it may be something really bad.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My aunt (well, cousin but basically my aunt) finally passed away after almost a month of suffering. The whole thing has been really really hard on my mom, so I'm hoping she'll finally get some good rest. My family has been dropping like flies this last year and a half.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

loving UPS driver didn't even knock or even make an attempt to actually deliver my parcel. Just left a sticker which we heard him leave on our door because we were both home. Saw him walk away empty handed and assumed he left the package on our step. They were the ankle braces I've been desperately waiting for for over a week. I am so loving mad. And now I have to go pick them up at the loving airport. It's after 7 pm. Just loving knock!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Picnic Princess posted:

loving UPS driver didn't even knock or even make an attempt to actually deliver my parcel. Just left a sticker which we heard him leave on our door because we were both home. Saw him walk away empty handed and assumed he left the package on our step. They were the ankle braces I've been desperately waiting for for over a week. I am so loving mad. And now I have to go pick them up at the loving airport. It's after 7 pm. Just loving knock!

Afaik they have some insane quota of delivering x packages in tiny y period of time so to meet that quota they just leave the sticker instead even trying to knock, cause that takes time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

I mean this unironically says complaining and whining safe space soooooo....

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

Afaik they have some insane quota of delivering x packages in tiny y period of time so to meet that quota they just leave the sticker instead even trying to knock, cause that takes time.

This is UPS' problem, not Picnic Princess'.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I have a video doorbell and I got to see the purolator driver put down the package, ring the doorbell, and then just walk away not even bothering to see if anybody was home.

Like, at least wait 5-10 seconds. Make an effort. Around here I absolutely love Fedex or Canada Post because Canada post can safely put small packages in my mailbox for safe keeping, and I know Fedex always makes an effort to wait a little bit before leaving a package.

Eat poo poo Purolator, nobody around here likes you. I know that because when I tell people at work it might ship with Purolator they look like I told them they’re getting cancer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fedex will also send a truck whenever.

With UPS and Purolator if it's not in by the time the truck whose route you're on leaves in the morning, it's not getting delivered that day. With Fedex, if something comes in at noon but is scheduled for that day they send another truck.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Steakandchips posted:

This is UPS' problem, not Picnic Princess'.

Yeah I was explaining why UPS did what they did.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cool. Hope PP tore UPS a new one.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Glare Seethe posted:

Might be a bit too e/n for this thread I guess, but the past few weeks I have really lost control of my eating disorder and today was probably the worst. I mean I enjoyed the food but gently caress me I wish I hadn't eaten it. I suppose the silver lining is that I'm already so severely underweight that anything I've been gaining would be considered a good thing, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

Really just wish I could straight up be done with food. I'd start another fast but that was supposed to happen today... and then it didn't.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Found an injured hedgehog while walking the dog. Was in two minds what to do when walking back home to get the car/ leave the dog. Poor thing was still moving when I got back to it but it stopped shuddering before I could make it to the vet. I feel like I should have done more, been quicker, done something that could have made a difference. Feeling crappy all over.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Steakandchips posted:

Cool. Hope PP tore UPS a new one.

Normally I wouldn't care so much about being inconvenienced. But this one time it was something I need to function as a normal human being. I'm in severe pain all the time, I got Lyme disease loving up my already garbage joints, I couldn't wait to get those ankle braces just so I could walk again. And now I have to wait until my husband is free during their opening hours to drive me half way across the city to go get them when they were right there at the end of my sidewalk while we were both home to accept them. I actually cried out of anger because I'm also fighting a lung infection too and it just broke me.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Well, I have an update. UPS came back. No knock, fully intended to leave another sticker, but I was ready because I was home. So I have my ankle braces!

In other news, my mom is insane and I had to write a long email response back to one from her and it was not pretty. So now I'm waiting for the blowback. Too sick to deal with this level of stress.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
UPS is absolutely a garbage company that I avoid using if I can. I feel the frustration.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So my dad found that his locked filing cabinet had been cracked open and a handful of important, private documents stolen as well when the previous breakin happened. He found the spot where the windows were pried open so the intruder could get in. He reported this to the police and they said they couldn't do anything about it. Is he just hosed? Is there nothing that can be done? Like, we know who did it. It's an explicitly personal crime, you don't steal family photos and personal documents and nothing else unless you're making a statement, this is super clearly a feud taken too far, and there's one person in particular who would do this specific thing.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

UPS is absolutely a garbage company that I avoid using if I can. I feel the frustration.
As someone who has worked for UPS for a long time, I can say, there's far worse(Fedex/DHL), but USPS tends to be better than UPS. Also, it's a union shop, and unions are good and we need more of them. That said, the upper management has definitely gotten shittier ever since they went public. The explosion of ecommerce has completely obliterated many hubs, making people deliver things every 20-30 seconds sometimes. They've increased the workload like 30% per worker with very little to no increase in benefit for the workers. It's bad. They need to increase the workforce and delivery vehicles as well as the pay, which hopefully the next contract(early august) negotiations will do something about. Currently no new hires stick around because the starting pay is garbage and you don't get benefits until a year in. Hoping that changes so they can start retaining more new people. I don't have much confidence though as based on the letters from teamsters lately, the UPS corporation is sitting on its thumbs over contract negotiations and the current anti-union administration running the country doesn't help at all either.

To put it into perspective, the building I work in was designed about 35 years ago to do around 20,000 packages per hour throughout it. It is currently doing about 29,000-35,000 per hour on average each day, on largely the same equipment as back then, maybe upgraded a bit but still the general layout. This is in addition to increasing the size of packages eligible to be shipped in brownies(delivery trucks), weight limit used to be 50 pounds, now it's 70 before it's labeled as bulk, and still gets delivered via normal truck until you hit 150lbs when it gets sent to UPS freight.

I do agree the driver should have knocked, and certainly a lot of new hire drivers don't give a single gently caress(they sometimes hire right off the street instead of having people work their way up if there's not enough drivers), but the volume has ballooned massively in the last ten years forcing drivers to go from 60 seconds per stop to a third of that at times, and they're still pulling 10-12 hour days average. And the top tier management and shareholders are hogging the money rather than using it to improve things, poo poo, they're looking at six billion in pure profit in 2018, but they're not really putting much of that back into the company. And that's a huge issue apparent with many corporations, not just UPS, but I see it firsthand. For the last year I loaded the brownies and they simply aren't big enough, even the biggest ones, to deliver the amount of packages required. I would routinely fill the truck's shelves floor to ceiling, then fill the entire aisle of the truck as well because there was no room. It's real bad. And that's one of the larger, more well-equipped hubs they have, too. I imagine smaller hubs are just getting their assholes blown out on the daily.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 04:34 on May 26, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Who is loving up the company doesn't matter; shipping with UPS is a hideous experience. I feel for the brutally exploited workers in that situation but you know what? I have had a 0% rate of good experiences with UPS recently. "But it's union!!!" won't change that. They've mangled multiple packages and completely refused to fix their own gently caress ups on one I had sent. If the upper management wants to wring the company for every cent they can while pillaging the company and driving off all the good people then things won't get better and I for one won't ship with UPS if I can help it.

I'm well aware that upper management is the problem and you know what? gently caress 'em. After having mangled packages show up, getting totally dicked over when trying to ship things, and watching them completely half-rear end delivery I'm not shipping with UPS.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thankfully, I've alwayshad good luck when UPS was delivering things to my house. My dad orders a lot from Amazon and it's usually UPS and they always knock or ring the doorbell, and wait for at least a minute for someone to answer the door. Plus, if the driver hears our dog flipping out (which is hard to miss; he gets so excited about people), he'll often have treats for our dog. :3:

I'm honestly kind of upset that your experiences with UPS sucks so bad.

For thread content, a bunch of aunts and uncles came over for dinner tonight, and my wife and I had gotten stuff to make s'mores. I built the fire and nobody except for my wife and one aunt gave a poo poo that we had gotten this stuff to make s'mores for everybody. I know that sounds petty, but it just kinda sucked they didn't even act like they cared. It was like that a couple of weeks ago, when I was trying to tell them about a promotion I'm up for, but I barely got a head nod out of any of them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ugh, ever since dad told me his personal documents and sensitive stuff like his social security card had been rummaged through and many stolen, I've been on the verge of a panic attack, because we know who did it but nothing will be done about it. I wanted to confront the dude and try to be reasonable with him, but I know that's just my naivete and inherent hoping for the goodness of my fellow man coming into play and not what I should do. When it was just the photos and miscellaneous poo poo, I was super hosed up by that but was like no, let it go, those photos can be replaced, even if one had a note from my sister on it. But if the guy has dad's personal documents, who knows what he might do? And if there's other people's info in there, he might involve them, or me/my family as well. It's pretty terrifying. Someone who is willing to A: break into someone else's home over a grudge and B: steal family/baby photos is someone who has serious issues.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Who is loving up the company doesn't matter; shipping with UPS is a hideous experience. I feel for the brutally exploited workers in that situation but you know what? I have had a 0% rate of good experiences with UPS recently. "But it's union!!!" won't change that. They've mangled multiple packages and completely refused to fix their own gently caress ups on one I had sent. If the upper management wants to wring the company for every cent they can while pillaging the company and driving off all the good people then things won't get better and I for one won't ship with UPS if I can help it.

I'm well aware that upper management is the problem and you know what? gently caress 'em. After having mangled packages show up, getting totally dicked over when trying to ship things, and watching them completely half-rear end delivery I'm not shipping with UPS.
I'm aware your branch seems to be particularly garbage, and I'm not saying you have to. But Fedex and DHL certainly aren't much better, as a whole. I've definitely had more packages just outright go missing with Fedex, and they even once delivered an empty, open flaps box that clearly was supposed to have something in it to my front door. I've also had a boot hole in a UPS box. It can often be who's handling your package that is the factor there. I was mostly explaining why it's getting so bad, I'm totally for you not using them if they've consistently hosed up your stuff. I really, really hope contract negotiations improve between now and august, and better staffing and such becomes more normal, because that means less stuff backing up, less packages literally exploding under pressure from the weight of the packages behind them on the conveyor belts, less stressed and angry employees taking their anger out on packages, and less haphazardly handled stuff as people try to keep up with the volume.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I can personally attest every non manager employee at Fedex hates you and your package, yes YOU, and hand writing "FRAGILE, NANA'S CHRISTMAS PRESENT" on your box makes it more likely to be broken.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My favorite packages are the ones that they don't give a gently caress. A pair of shoes shoved in a ziploc freezer bag with a label slapped on it. A used, grease-soaked pizza box with 18-inch diamond-edged sawblades in it that tore right through and gouged a rift in the concrete floor. A box of goldfish crackers used to ship pottery with no packing material whatsoever, which obviously didn't survive.

Anyways, more lovely day stuff. Mom was getting ready for work and tripped on something, bouncing off a barstool as she fell, cracked 2 ribs and bruising her rotator cuff. She's getting on in age and was trapped where she fell, I had literally just crawled into bed and heard a loud thud downstairs, lucky I got up to check what the sound was because she couldn't get up by herself. After a trip to the doctor she's doing better though, painkillers certainly help.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got something shipped to me once that was a bunch of small, thin 2 piece cardboard boxes taped into a bundle, then put into one of those reusable Walmart bags you can buy there for $2, which was then wrapped in twine and tape.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

At work we had a sheet of paper shipped in a custom cut sized diaper box completely sealed with 2 layers of packing tape. It didn't matter about the paper being folded so it was impressive that someone took the effort to craft that instead of just using an envelope.

Anyway my ankle braces work beautifully and I'm glad I busted the driver trying to just leave a sticker the second time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Picnic Princess posted:

At work we had a sheet of paper shipped in a custom cut sized diaper box completely sealed with 2 layers of packing tape. It didn't matter about the paper being folded so it was impressive that someone took the effort to craft that instead of just using an envelope.

Anyway my ankle braces work beautifully and I'm glad I busted the driver trying to just leave a sticker the second time.

You busted his head against the door jamb until he handed over the package?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

BioEnchanted posted:

You busted his head against the door jamb until he handed over the package?

No but the shocked look on his face when I opened the door was satisfaction enough. The railing on the step is a bit loose and if you lean on it it makes a clang sound. He leaned on it :)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I bumped into a parked car as I was leaving to get a quick late dinner. I did what you're supposed to do (wait around, leave a note, etc) but now I'm in a sad mood because I'm new to the area and I'm nervously wondering if I'm going to get a "You defiled my car horribly" response or a "pfft, it's a little ding and your car got it worse" one.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Dad woke up at midnight with a stomach bug. Still has it. I start my new job tomorrow and now I'm paranoid I'll get it and have to miss orientation. Also hello emetophobia, I forgot you existed!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Emetophobia once, he seemed nice.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My company has finally blocked the forums.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mine too. I use Buffered VPN to get around it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Me and my partner, about two weeks ago: You're right, it would be kinda nice if we both took a part-time job. We don't need to, really, but together they'd add up to decent amount of spare scratch! Extra savings! Upgrade furniture! Maybe even a vacation outside of the area! Great idea!

Me and my partner, tonight: Oh God whose idiotic idea was it for us to take another job, we're both tired and sweaty and our legs hurt

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
How did you both get a job in 2 weeks

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Thin Privilege posted:

How did you both get a job in 2 weeks

She took a busser job at the bar she used to bartend at, I took a gas station job where an old friend of mine manages.

E: so I guess a succinct way of answering it is "we picked jobs where the interview process was basically just asking if we wanted the jobs".

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Jun 4, 2018

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

She took a busser job at the bar she used to bartend at, I took a gas station job where an old friend of mine manages.

E: so I guess a succinct way of answering it is "we picked jobs where the interview process was basically just asking if we wanted the jobs".

This is important...does your job have a hot dog roller machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I can't deal with my family imploding and I just want to :sever: