Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Anybody got a 20% off PS Store code they aren’t using? Probably gonna bite on either DSr or Lost Legacy.

They expired yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Real hurthling! posted:

They expired yesterday

Dang it! Forgot it was June already

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Even if an SSD isn’t a huge difference in speed against an HDD, it’s at least more reliable, right?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hooray, after two weeks of waiting, Yakuza 0 finally got delivered to my local library and I can borrow it for a while

I need to use the wifes account and put a hold on it too so I never really have to return it until I'm satisfied

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

mastershakeman posted:

Hooray, after two weeks of waiting, Yakuza 0 finally got delivered to my local library and I can borrow it for a while

I need to use the wifes account and put a hold on it too so I never really have to return it until I'm satisfied

Mega cool my dude, high five on abusing the public goodwill.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

MGSurvive is having a free weekend for PS+ users

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know there's going to be at least some benefit because it's still an SSD instead of a spinning platter drive, but a 2tb SSD seems like very expensive overkill for a PS4 is all.

Yeah my 2TB is a $100 Seagate spinning disk and it's totally fine, where an equivalent SSD today would be like $500+. I refuse to install a drive that costs more than the entire console just to save the occasional few seconds on io-bound load screens

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sweet. I’ve been thinking about buying it from Redbox for twenty bucks, getting to try it will definitely swing me one way or another.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Anyone playing Elderscrolls Online on the PS4? The dedicated thread seemed to be for PC/MAC.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Re: SSD vs Platter

The PS4 is probably the best usecase for hybrid drives I can think of.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I had a 2tb hard drive for the OG PS4. But then upgraded to the 1TB PS4pro and it was too much :effort: to switch them around.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I really enjoyed Metal Gear Survive, if you have any interest in it try it out.

I started playing Everspace on PC, it's on PS4 digitally now and physical release later. Really enjoying it, it's kind of like if FTL was a 3D game that has more emphasis on combat and less emphasis on ship maintenance. Also the game looks pretty amazing. It's got some roguelike elements where there are persistent upgrades across all playthroughs. Seems like another great game going under the radar.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

katkillad2 posted:

:ironicat:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

katkillad2 posted:

I started playing Everspace on PC, it's on PS4 digitally now and physical release later. Really enjoying it, it's kind of like if FTL was a 3D game that has more emphasis on combat and less emphasis on ship maintenance. Also the game looks pretty amazing. It's got some roguelike elements where there are persistent upgrades across all playthroughs. Seems like another great game going under the radar.

Can you provide a reason? Looks poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sefal posted:

I had a 2tb hard drive for the OG PS4. But then upgraded to the 1TB PS4pro and it was too much :effort: to switch them around.

:same: I wish I had swapped though because 1Tb sucks.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Should have swapped. I swapped mine before plugging the pro in. Worth it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Mega cool my dude, high five on abusing the public goodwill.

Oh come on. If there aren't any holds there's no reason at all things should be put back on the shelf to sit . It's not like I'm abusing the system on a game like god of war which has 50 holds for 3 copies

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Bombadilillo posted:

Can you provide a reason? Looks poo poo.

I'll assume you are talking about Metal Gear Survive. I'll mostly be talking about the single player campaign.

The fox engine is great, I really enjoy how the game plays/handles. The difficulty is top heavy, the beginning of the game is pretty tough. It's got that thing though, I'm going to say Dark Souls but I'm not necessarily comparing the game to Dark Souls, where there's a lot of satisfaction in overcoming that difficulty. Kind of like that feeling you get from a NG+ Dark Souls run where you are steamrolling things that previously caused you a lot of problems. MG: Survive starts you out feeling tense and full of anxiety, but in a good way. So for example at the beginning of the game it's really stressful finding food/water to survive and literally every minute wasted can matter but by the end you'll have more than you need and that survival changes to focusing on exploration and finding upgrades.

There's base building/development/defense which I tend to enjoy in some games. Not at a level like Ark or something where you are literally designing buildings, you find recipes and/or progress through the game to unlock buildings. You also need to populate your base with survivors to help automate things.

Combat is pretty satisfying, I played through the majority of the game using a bow. There are a ton of melee weapons/skills that you could primarily play as melee. In the single player campaign, gun ammunition parts were a bit on the scare side to the point where using firearms was more for "oh poo poo" situations, but they seemed to be more generous with those if you did online co-op missions.

The game is obviously not going to be for everyone and it's pretty difficult. I'm not going to lie there are some stupid decisions, like not being able to boil water in the single player campaign until several missions in. They probably could have made the beginning of the game a little more accessible by giving a slider for how fast you become hungry/thirsty. It's not a bad game though and just like Detroit: Become Human I don't let unimportant outside factors decide if I'm going to try/enjoy a game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

It's not a bad game though and just like Detroit: Become Human I don't let unimportant outside factors decide if I'm going to try/enjoy a game.

There isn't a :thunk: large enough for this.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

finally, the true power of ps4 is revealed.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeaaah, the transfer speed of Blu-Ray's pretty poo poo compared to DVD's (relatively-speaking) so it's pretty much impossible to play ANY PS4 games directly off the disc. Save maybe a couple of the indie digital titles that had a physical-print run.

i was wondering this the other day because alot of early ps3 titles had you installing but it seemed like alot of the later titles like last of us etc, seem to run fine off the disc and i can't imagine the ps4 bluray player would be slower than the ps3.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The PS3 didn't have to stream 1080p/ 4K assets for the most part.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Exactly this. Most PS3 games ran 720p, and the reason Last of Us ran like it did was Naughty Dog having almost a decade and three Uncharteds' worth of experience working with the PS3 architecture.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Neither does the PS4 😂😂😂

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yeah Blu-ray for PS3 games was mostly used for super high quality uncompressed FMVs and audio, but thanks to parity with the 360 (and the PS3’s memory caps) the games themselves weren’t really taking up that much storage space. PS4 disc games seem to be at a minimum of 10GB, and only exclusives really even started approaching that size during the last console gen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Surge is only 7gb :eyepop:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe major studio games are 10GB, there are plenty of indies that are just as small as they used to be. I have a few PS+ games that are under a gig.

At the beginning of the previous generation Microsoft tried to limit Xbox Live Arcade titles to 50MB, a limit which they gradually relaxed over the years until you could post multi-gig digital games by the end. I heard from a dev that they would have liked to cap them at 25 but every third party united to tell them that was absolutely unworkable.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm gonna play a lot of yakuza0 this weekend, I can't wait

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Oh well yeah, indies will be smaller, I just more meant in terms of stuff that runs off a disc, which is usually going to be your non-indie stuff.

The Surge is still drat impressive though. That’s some fine optimization.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Surge is only 7gb :eyepop:

So is Dark Souls remastered.

I have 77 Gigs free, it’ll still make me delete something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

:cheers:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

:cheerdoge:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

Exactly this. Most PS3 games ran 720p, and the reason Last of Us ran like it did was Naughty Dog having almost a decade and three Uncharteds' worth of experience working with the PS3 architecture.

i played it on a whim last week and after i played that goddamn intro i kept playing until completion and holy poo poo ND has access to deep pits of black magic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Last of Us also bricked my launch PS3 by overheating the GPU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TLOU was the last PS3 game I played before getting a 4 and it was amazing how good it looked. 256mb of RAM !!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

TLOU was the last PS3 game I played before getting a 4 and it was amazing how good it looked. 256mb of RAM !!!

Yeah that's some real tech wizardry, got to give those guys props.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

haveblue posted:

At the beginning of the previous generation Microsoft tried to limit Xbox Live Arcade titles to 50MB, a limit which they gradually relaxed over the years until you could post multi-gig digital games by the end. I heard from a dev that they would have liked to cap them at 25 but every third party united to tell them that was absolutely unworkable.

This was because they stupidly sold a version without a hard drive (in order to have one lower, if useless, price point) and thought a 256 MB memory card would be enough to go with it

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Microsoft....failing to future-proof for even 6 months down the line? I can't believe it! ;)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah that's some real tech wizardry, got to give those guys props.

256MB of system RAM, a separate 256MB of VRAM for the GPU.

And the CELL BROADBAND ENGINE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah but I mean the Video RAM doesn't really count, you can't use it for storing anything but frame buffers and textures, right? (I have never gotten near that kind of programming)