Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I was pretty sure that was going to happen.

Also how'd I never notice Aubry Plaza has giant eyes before?

Because they're usually brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I was pretty sure that was going to happen.

Also how'd I never notice Aubry Plaza has giant eyes before?

Because she doesn't. Those aren't her eyes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

twistedmentat posted:

The car vanishing made me think of Repo Man.

Oh my god same.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because she doesn't. Those aren't her eyes

Yeah, they’re new.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AnEdgelord posted:

Because they're usually brown

Yeah. The big grey eyes just make her 100000% creepier when she does her long silence twitchy routine, which I'm pretty sure is just Aubrey Plaza when she's not acting.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

drat you David, you've ruined a perfectly good car :argh:

It occurred to me that Farouk messing with Cary/Kerry might be a blessing in disguise. By reverting who goes into the other's body, it'll give Cary a few more years as well as allowing Kerry to "catch up" with him a little. Lastly, Kerry kind of needs to learn all of the normal human stuff, like eating. And figures of speech.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Are you a good person?
Are you a good person?
Are you a good person?

Amy is now Lenny's conscience.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

double nine posted:

drat you David, you've ruined Lastly, Kerry kind of needs to learn all of the normal human stuff, like eating. And figures of speech.

And making GBS threads

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

and all of the bodily good stuff, food, drink, sex, sex, alcohol, tickling, hugs.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Division 3 is just a reference to Freud's 3-part model of the psyche. The cafeteria full of floating boats of desserts is the id and the announcements on the intercom are the super-ego, while the people working in the building (including all the characters aside from David) are the ego.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Serf posted:

Division 3 is just a reference to Freud's 3-part model of the psyche. The cafeteria full of floating boats of desserts is the id and the announcements on the intercom are the super-ego, while the people working in the building (including all the characters aside from David) are the ego.

And the front door is the butt.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what's the storage room full of clappering teeth then? A kidney?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Serf posted:

And like most minds it is completely empty.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

double nine posted:

Those are some baaaad kidney stones.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

double nine posted:

Nah, those are tappets and the chattering indicates that the brain needs a service and/or lubrication.

e: So, Lenny's new friend's 'a play about waiting for a man who never arrives' has to be a Beckett reference right?

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 31, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

EmptyVessel posted:

Nah, those are tappets and the chattering indicates that the brain needs a service and/or lubrication.

e: So, Lenny's new friend's 'a play about waiting for a man who never arrives' has to be a Beckett reference right?

Yes, Waiting for Godot specifically

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

There's only one more episode this season, right?

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Barreft posted:

There's only one more episode this season, right?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I love how everyone has their own spelling, mine is Cary/Carrie and I'm not going to look at IMDb ever

I've been streaming this in lovely quality and it really does it a disservice, I can't wait to buy it in HD when the season's done

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The shows Facebook page just announced that it has been renewed for another season

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Oasx posted:

The shows Facebook page just announced that it has been renewed for another season

Season 3 will happen inside our brains. Or will it?

night slime
May 14, 2014
Guess im not dumb like the guy who called me dumb for saying the show would be renewed. It turns out he is the dumb one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oasx posted:

I'm trying to find this and maybe I'm just bad at Facebook but I can't see it anywhere.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm trying to find this and maybe I'm just bad at Facebook but I can't see it anywhere.

I just saw it on Marvel's FB page.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/legion-renewed-season-3-at-fx-1116481

Looks like it was announced two hours ago.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Awwww hell yeah!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

At least 1 more season of abstract mindfuckery!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Also, the best soundtrack of anything in a long time

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gobbeldygook posted:

There's zero sense of time or world. The characters exist in a bubble and only interact with each other. For that and other reasons I'm not ready to totally dismiss It's All A Dream (or similar) theories because the show is definitely working on dream logic. Syd decides to chase David and then she's just jumping out of a plane into the desert that exists beyond time and space wearing the same clothes she was wearing back in Division 3. A cow just appears twice in Division 3 and then is gone. The ink birds.

It's the fans that don't question this that get at me. I'm ready to see what people think of the latest madness and people are all like "wow where'd syd get that plane from!??!?!? LOL". They don't ask how she got to the secret desert of broken space time. The delusion birds were accepted as real things. Because delusions normally manifest as solid forms. Yeah that guy you've they've known for years is hooked up to a tree computer. Everyone inside and outside the show accepts this because well he did die from a giant oil delusion climbing out of him. These things happen. This is normal. Then they start theory crafting about which secret character from the comics is the real bad guy of the season as if this is just another hero show.

When I say "fans" I guess i'm generally talking about the subreddit. I guess I should know better but the twin peaks subreddit for The Return was quite good. Apart from all the people trying to sync up episodes to find clues.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 2, 2018

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
When has "it was ALLL A DREEEEAM" not been the shittiest cheapest copout ending for any form of media? It's a sweeping retcon that yanks the substance out of anything prior to that point. Why would you want it? Why would you accept it?

Like... maybe I'm being too harsh, but is there any on-scren context that could potentially invalidate that ending? Y'all are talking like it's still "in play" when I can't fathom what could possibly invalidate it. David pinching himself?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

David's dreams become reality. It is all a dream and also it is all real, because David makes his dreams reality.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

When has "it was ALLL A DREEEEAM" not been the shittiest cheapest copout ending for any form of media?

The end of Newhart. It was a brilliant, surprising, and funny as hell ending to the series.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the thing about 'it was all a dream' is that it means the events being dreamt never actually happened

on this show, things being dreams or mind constructs or similar doesn't stop them from being real

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Proteus Jones posted:

The end of Newhart. It was a brilliant, surprising, and funny as hell ending to the series.
I was thinking of the Dallas season, a few riffs on that, and the News Radio ending that's playing off something else I can't remember. Thanks, this is a solid example. Scanning through wikipedia, folks were apparently trying to claim credit one way or the other for the idea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JawnV6 posted:

When has "it was ALLL A DREEEEAM" not been the shittiest cheapest copout ending for any form of media? It's a sweeping retcon that yanks the substance out of anything prior to that point. Why would you want it? Why would you accept it?

Like... maybe I'm being too harsh, but is there any on-scren context that could potentially invalidate that ending? Y'all are talking like it's still "in play" when I can't fathom what could possibly invalidate it. David pinching himself?

That was my worry about the series after watching the first episode "oh every episode will be all crazy and weird but at the end it will be revealed to just be in David's head. Yea that won't wear out its welcome quickly". Thank god the writers are smarter than to do that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

JawnV6 posted:

The many scenes that don't have David in them? I'm trying to think of all the bullshit stories where it ends with it all just being a dream, and one thing they are usually consistent about is only following the main character.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

JawnV6 posted:

So when I say it could all still be a dream or otherwise not real, I don't mean the whole series, I mean just this season. I will personally stop considering it to be in play once we have a legitimate explanation for where David was for a year after he was Pokeballed.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vorgen posted:

David's dreams become reality. It is all a dream and also it is all real, because David makes his dreams reality.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Gobbeldygook posted:

So when I say it could all still be a dream or otherwise not real, I don't mean the whole series, I mean just this season. I will personally stop considering it to be in play once we have a legitimate explanation for where David was for a year after he was Pokeballed.

Yeah I still don't really understand how the beginning of the season worked and the show never bothered going back to it. He was abducted, gone for a year, and then Division find him unconscious in a warehouse. Aside from the gap year, it isnt explained how they knew or where they suddenly found him, he's just blackout in some random chair across town.

I really hope this wont tie back to the semi-filler episode as "Oh this is one of the many possible timelines that David has been viewing" so he can just back out and prevent the entire season from happening like in that movie Next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

LentThem posted:

Yeah I still don't really understand how the beginning of the season worked and the show never bothered going back to it. He was abducted, gone for a year, and then Division find him unconscious in a warehouse. Aside from the gap year, it isnt explained how they knew or where they suddenly found him, he's just blackout in some random chair across town.

I really hope this wont tie back to the semi-filler episode as "Oh this is one of the many possible timelines that David has been viewing" so he can just back out and prevent the entire season from happening like in that movie Next.
I doubt they'll do that, but I think there's a real chance of further time travel fuckery retconning the whole season. Remember what Kerry said when he was examining the orb:

KERRY: It's advanced, but but not Shi'ar. That was my first guess, as well. No. I can't shake the feeling that somehow I constructed it, this-this orb. Believe me, I know how that sounds, yes.

So at some point in the future Kerry built the orb, sent it back in time to right after Farouk ran off in Oliver's body, captured David, and then held him in the orb for a year before dumping him out somewhere with no memory of the preceding year. Future Kerry's presumed goal is to stop the world from ending and figured this was the best way to do so. So, what if he was wrong?