Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'd be okay with splitting the thread. Two thousand plus pages is daunting for potential new players to read through, and a timeskip seems like a great opportunity for a new jumping off point. Losing a bunch of the early images is a problem though - could we use something like the wayback machine to try and recover them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

I'd be okay with splitting the thread. Two thousand plus pages is daunting for potential new players to read through, and a timeskip seems like a great opportunity for a new jumping off point. Losing a bunch of the early images is a problem though - could we use something like the wayback machine to try and recover them?

I don't know if any have been lost, I tried to update as many as I could to lpix from their old home on waffleimages, so they may still be fine.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't know if any have been lost, I tried to update as many as I could to lpix from their old home on waffleimages, so they may still be fine.

Just finished the read through last week and it seemed most everything was intact. I think there was maybe one turn of a mission I couldn't find from the links for some reason.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Someone has an archiver script that will scrape an entire thread to a database, which can be hosted or stored elsewhere. That might be the way to go? I'm not 100% sure that it handles images though, which could be a deal breaker.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Doing the split thread might be the way to go after archiving everything safely. Less daunting for newcomers. How much manual cleanup is needed and how is it handled?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

Doing the split thread might be the way to go after archiving everything safely. Less daunting for newcomers. How much manual cleanup is needed and how is it handled?

No idea. I'd have to ask the archive admin if it's even possible. I can't imagine it's more difficult than archiving an average Dwarf Fortress LP, but there's still a lot to archive.

I don't have a lot of pictures and the table of contents is plain text rather than an image. That was the hold-up with the MA2 LP, I threw together some poo poo for the table of contents and it was too wide for the archive.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 1, 2018

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I've been here since the ground floor, but if you think that splitting into a new thread post time skip might make it easier for newcomers to get into this, I'm all for it. Assuming of course that the new thread links back to this one or archives of it, so people aren't completely lost or without ways to call back to previous happenings here.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Definitely start a new thread, if only so you can reserve the first ten posts.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, a new thread will get you more readers than it loses.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'd be fine with splitting off into a new thread, especially if it encourages new blood to join in.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm all for a new thread if it includes a recap and links to the related events :v:

Yes I know asking that is a massive undertaking

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

paragon1 posted:

Definitely start a new thread, if only so you can reserve the first ten posts.

I'm tempted to say there should just a wiki link for the turn archive. No need for anything fancy, just a page that lists all the updates and poo poo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm all for a new thread if it includes a recap and links to the related events :v:

Yes I know asking that is a massive undertaking

If you don't want to see me again for 2-3 years, sure. Realistically this isn't feasible.

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm tempted to say there should just a wiki link for the turn archive. No need for anything fancy, just a page that lists all the updates and poo poo.

I'm terrible at Wiki making, but this is a good idea.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You'd need to convert all the links to wiki code from forum code but you could do most of that with a simple find-replace

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

New thread is a fantastic idea. Also thanks for the years of running this one PTN!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Adding my "please start a new thread" to the pile.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I think I'd vote for a new thread as well. I slowly crawled my way through this one for what felt like months (and maybe actually as months) before I finally caught up. A new thread with a synopsis of changes and events from this one, highlighting the role of viewer participation, would probably encourage people who were hesitant prior.

Perhaps also invite some of the longtime participants to help with this and/or detailing some of the thread highlights, such as the King Dadlas rampage, to help further drum up excitement for potential new participants?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you don't want to see me again for 2-3 years, sure. Realistically this isn't feasible.
Oh I know, that was simply my regret at not keeping up with the thread to begin with talking. A simple recap should be fine.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's why you gotta reserve so many posts so somebody else can do it later and ya just paste it in

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
As fun as it was to be a part of such a hilariously giant thread from the very start, I also agree that a new thread is probably for the best. I can only imagine how daunting this thread is for new people.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
This thread was already daunting when I discovered it at 500 pages. It's a good idea to go for the sequel!

Thanks for keeping this up PTN.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
I do believe it's time for the longest thread in this subforum to end. It is the longest thread, right?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Remmon posted:

I do believe it's time for the longest thread in this subforum to end. It is the longest thread, right?

By postcount. I think there might be some that went on for longer times.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I think you've got that the other way around, unless there's a bunch of 7 year old LPs I don't know about. Some of the democratic/senatorial style LPs might have a similar or higher post count though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

I think you've got that the other way around, unless there's a bunch of 7 year old LPs I don't know about. Some of the democratic/senatorial style LPs might have a similar or higher post count though.

Coulda sworn there were a couple 2009ish lps with really slow updates still trucking along. There are several threads only a few months younger than this one that I can find so far, but I haven't found any older yet. This thread has by far the highest postcount in the LP subforum, with nearly as many more than second place than third place has total.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 2, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have a script that autoarchives threads but it will need some work to do one this big, or maybe just a computer with lots of memory.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

dis astranagant posted:

Coulda sworn there were a couple 2009ish lps with really slow updates still trucking along. There are several threads only a few months younger than this one that I can find so far, but I haven't found any older yet. This thread has by far the highest postcount in the LP subforum, with nearly as many more than second place than third place has total.

I know Smasher's rebooted the Super-League thread (#2 on that list) at least once, as the thread's first season is Super-League VII (I think; the thread's organization is for poo poo) and we're now leading up to XXV. But the point stands.

(also it's a pretty good 'in favor of starting a new thread' argument because the Super-League did it and didn't die, so)

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

A new thread would be good. I'm going through the older posts again and in the 300-400 page mark there are a bunch of missing images and maps with updated positions it seems.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I made some good progress today, but there's a fair bit of fiction to write in addition to prepping a possible new OP.

Have a teaser:

Capellan Confederation
Romano Liao is dead. Justin Xiang vanished a decade ago under mysterious circumstances. The young Sun Wu Liao ascended to the throne at the age of 19 and has spent the last seven years reshaping the Capellan Confederation to fit his vision. Forced to bear the costs of running their own HPG network, the Confederation Government can't afford to send messages as regularly as they could under ComStar's control. With less obvious oversight, the Capellan Confederation’s nobility has grown more locally powerful than they’ve ever been and rumors abound that many are putting together their own BattleMech forces in direct contravention of Confederation law. In order to curtail their burgeoning power (and discourage them from building private armies on the sly), Sun Wu has formed an order of government inspectors known as the Mandarins, whose duty is to make sure that everyone from the planetary governor to the lowliest janitor (but primarily the nobility) is actively contributing to the betterment of Capellan society. Under Sun Wu’s orders, the Capellan Confederation treats its battle captives well. The only time the Confederation breaks their communications silence is to ransom captives back to their nation of origin or, if unable to arrange a ransom (as is often the case for enlisted infantrymen), to arrange for them to be shipped to a neutral territory: the Aurigan Directorate (E) in the periphery. In turn, the Confederation is swift to offer ransoms for any soldiers—even low ranking ones—who may have been captured by enemy forces. This has made Sun Wu remarkably popular with the CCAF and encouraged the Confederation’s neighbors not to pursue fights to the death.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, what happened in the Aurigan Civil War if the Directorate is still around? Never hired that mercenary?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whoops, guess Kamea did die in a dropship accident.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm curious to see if House Espinosa has done a good job running things.

Or if this is the timeline where Lord Santiago approached Kamea with his plan to convert the country into a dictatorship... and she said yes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

After all, one of Kamea's canon sticking points is her adherence to the romanticized ideals of the Star League, one that persisted long after she came to terms with the darker realities of its history.

And in this timeline the Star League's image was already compromised, and enough of the truth stuck around that the romantic myth didn't really have room to take hold. Partly because Kerensky left on much less romanticizable(?) terms.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Xarbala posted:

Or if this is the timeline where Lord Santiago approached Kamea with his plan to convert the country into a dictatorship... and she said yes.

I prefer the latter interpretation, but I suppose we'll see.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Whoops, guess Kamea did die in a dropship accident.

Well, without the Magistracy around, what with it being folded into the NRWR, I'm gonna assume Ana-Marie Centrella doesn't have the same dosh around to bankroll Kamea and the Arano Restoration, if she still exists in this timeline.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

Well, without the Magistracy around, what with it being folded into the NRWR, I'm gonna assume Ana-Marie Centrella doesn't have the same dosh around to bankroll Kamea and the Arano Restoration, if she still exists in this timeline.

Also the Taurians are much more formidable.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Xarbala posted:

I'm betting on this one.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Alternative hypothesis: Espinoza's ideas found a willing home in the senior Arano's ears.

Alternative alternative hypothesis: Uncle Steve is bankrolling Kamea this time around and has not yet struck.

Alternative hypothesis the third: There's a successfully exploited old outpost.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xarbala posted:

And in this timeline the Star League's image was already compromised, and enough of the truth stuck around that the romantic myth didn't really have room to take hold. Partly because Kerensky left on much less romanticizable(?) terms.
I missed this bit...what did ol' Alexi do different in this timeline? Is there an update I can read?

GhostStalker posted:

Same question here - is there an update I can read to get a good rundown on what happened?

I'm just fascinated by the timeline that PTN has created with this because it is so much less....poo poo. and so much less full of mary-sues, both individuals and author merc companies.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Capellan Confederation
Sun Wu
Is this a play on Sun Tzu?

Also that was wonderful and left me thirsting for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I missed this bit...what did ol' Alexi do different in this timeline? Is there an update I can read?

In PTNverse, the Star League Defense Force never received help from the rest of the Inner Sphere nations with the lone exception of the provence of Skye in the Lyran Commonwealth who did so without the approval of House Steiner), so had a MUCH harder time of it trying to fight Stefan Amaris. They managed to attack Terra and kill the Usurper, but didn't have the strength to repel the RWR counterattack that followed, and Alexander Kerensky and his forces fled the Inner Sphere vowing bloody vengence on the desendants of the traitorous House Lords for standing idly by while a tyrant sat on the throne of the Star League.

Yeah, so no nobly trying to keep things together while the House Lords picked the Star League apart like in canon Battletech, just a very angry and spiteful man taking his very angry and spiteful followers into the void of space to plot angry and spiteful revenge.

• Locked thread