Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

20 versus is pretty chill, really. People doing stupid things with cart rides.

Too bad is pretty chill, people doing stupid things. Instead of, you know, reviving teammates or flocking to contested areas where they can heard shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Coolness Averted posted:

That's the fun of the game. I've had rounds where I've gone beast-mode and somehow got 4-5 kills and finished in the top 10, then wound up just acting as ammo, purple gun and shield delivery to the first dude I met while doing 0 damage.

This is me. I went batshit crazy in one 50v50 game and got 8 kills in a minute before they took me down. Our side was down too and I evened it up. We even went on to win it. I'm a little sad that they apparently don't record those rounds in replay mode. Most of the time I get 0 or 1 kill.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Nullsmack posted:

This is me. I went batshit crazy in one 50v50 game and got 8 kills in a minute before they took me down. Our side was down too and I evened it up. We even went on to win it. I'm a little sad that they apparently don't record those rounds in replay mode. Most of the time I get 0 or 1 kill.

recording big team replays is a separate setting you need to turn on I think

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Coolness Averted posted:

But you understand this is a game about being a dick, right? Like it's okay if you decide you wanna fight with honor or whatevs, but solo is meant to be a nasty and cunning fight to the death. The guy who doesn't /bow and wait his turn to 1v1 pistols only isn't playing wrong. I'd say the only bs is intentional teamkilling/trolling.
It's also totally cool if you wanna impose your own limitations like not using items you think are OP or strategies that are slimey, but if you're not hosting a private game where everyone agreed to those rules it's silly to complain about other people not following them.

i mean i'm not saying you should do some ridiculous Jedi Academy e-bushido bullshit, just if someone's very clearly going for a "do x thing at y place" cheevo and not "seriously" playing (like, as mentioned, if they just barrel straight past me to the center of circle) i'm not gonna gently caress with them and i think people who would are maybe taking the game a little too seriously

e: like honestly if you want a Very Serious Game with no chillaxin' allowed go play PUBG, that is literally what PUBG exists for and the meaningful difference between it and Fortnite

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 1, 2018

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean i'm not saying you should do some ridiculous Jedi Academy e-bushido bullshit, just if someone's very clearly going for a cheevo and not "seriously" playing i'm not gonna gently caress with them and i think people who would are maybe taking the game a little too seriously

The aim of the game is to live longer than everyone else. Eat a dick.

I’m currently landing at the dance warehouse by loot lake and murdering the gently caress out of everyone. It’s hilarious

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

monkeu posted:

The aim of the game is to live longer than everyone else. Eat a dick.

I’m currently landing at the dance warehouse by loot lake and murdering the gently caress out of everyone. It’s hilarious

i really don't get why you're insanely mad about this

e:

me: "killing people who are literally just trying to go for cheevos feels lovely and not fun, i like fighting people who are actually trying to play normally instead of shooting literal fish in a barrel"

you: "gently caress YOU human being FREE KILLS ARE THE ONLY KILLS REEEEEEEEEEE"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I mean clearly when the challenges we're designed the devs assumed a game where no one was trying to kill you. Trying to kill players in BR is the height of dickishness, you moba dwelling troglodyte.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I ran into the dance house at loot lake last night. Dude was camping in there with a shotgun, surrounded by grey and green weapons on the floor. He blew my face off the instant I stepped into the room, adding my stuff to the pile. I laughed and queued up the next game.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i really don't get why you're insanely mad about this

e:

me: "killing people who are literally just trying to go for cheevos feels lovely and not fun, i like fighting people who are actually trying to play normally instead of shooting literal fish in a barrel"

you: "gently caress YOU human being FREE KILLS ARE THE ONLY KILLS REEEEEEEEEEE"

Your opponents a) don't know if you're trying to complete a challenge and b) don't owe you poo poo, so complaining about dying in a game where you die a lot is pretty stupid :shrug:

It's better to just take more enjoyment when you meet another person who's on the same page as you re: a specific challenge, then you have a dance-off for a few seconds then try to murder eachother instead of getting salty over someone following the literal only point of the game, but ymmv!

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I'd say play PvE, but people are Hitlers compared to the assholes in BR.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I love hearing retards whine about people killing them when they’re knocked too as if it’s unsporting. Eat a dick fuckheads. It’s literally the point of the game.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
the chillmode where you can do all the quests like "find this treasure chest" or "get all the ammo boxes ever" is 50v50

too bad they took it away :shobon:

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’ll never get the point of getting mad at a “tryhard.” I honestly don’t understand how playing a game to win is some horrible thing in the first place. I played a lot of TF2, still do technically, and would get more people complain about trying to win the games than when a hacker would come on. It makes no sense.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Yinz can go hella tryhard in new blitz showdown this weekend: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/blitz-showdown

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Seditiar posted:

I'd say play PvE, but people are Hitlers compared to the assholes in BR.

Can confirm.

I have returned to do camps, because is a mission type that I can't care less if people show, and I can solo withouth much fuss.

Theres awnful people in the PvE side, and even nice people that behave like assholes because thats the effect getting abused many times have in good people. Sometimes that guy thats toxic is me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Truant posted:

Your opponents a) don't know if you're trying to complete a challenge and b) don't owe you poo poo, so complaining about dying in a game where you die a lot is pretty stupid :shrug:

It's better to just take more enjoyment when you meet another person who's on the same page as you re: a specific challenge, then you have a dance-off for a few seconds then try to murder eachother instead of getting salty over someone following the literal only point of the game, but ymmv!

you realize i'm literally not even being prescriptive here and i'm just talking about what i, personally, do

like i don't know why me saying i like to just let people have poo poo like that prompted a bunch of retards to kramer in and start screeching about how I'M PLAYING THE GAME WROOOOOONG but i guess that's the "game popular with 8-year-olds" experience for me

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you realize i'm literally not even being prescriptive here and i'm just talking about what i, personally, do

like i don't know why me saying i like to just let people have poo poo like that prompted a bunch of retards to kramer in and start screeching about how I'M PLAYING THE GAME WROOOOOONG but i guess that's the "game popular with 8-year-olds" experience for me

You’ve literally made like 5 posts in a row about the honor of not killing people in a game where the only objective to win is to live longer than every other player. Shut up

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean it comes down to this

Coolness Averted posted:

It's also totally cool if you wanna impose your own limitations like not using items you think are OP or strategies that are slimey, but if you're not hosting a private game where everyone agreed to those rules it's silly to complain about other people not following them.

I don't really think anyone's responding in the way you think they are, other than "eat a dick" dude which I kind of assumed was just a joke but :shrug:

Like I said, better to latch onto the awesome moments where you and another cat have a funny interaction where you don't immediately murk each other in a game designed for just that :slick:

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you didn't just say that you like to let people have poo poo like that, you also said people who don't might be taking the game too seriously (aka, playing it wrong)

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

That’s why If someone fires at me when I am trying to do something I immediately pull out my pick axe and dance at them. It has a decent success rate. I then offer myself up in sacrifice.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I think the whole point of the challenges is to create battles and to drive people to go places they wouldn't otherwise. It'd be nice to be able to just do the challenge without contest but that's not the point and you probably shouldn't expect that. As much as I complain about how hard a couple of the challenges are.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man why isn’t 50 v 50 permanent. 20v is okay but not nearly as fun as 50 was. Booooo

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Philthy posted:

Man why isn’t 50 v 50 permanent. 20v is okay but not nearly as fun as 50 was. Booooo

Because a permanent system would create pression on the developer to balance 50vs50 and with the same setup balance the other modes. Making things hard for the devs.

Having time limited modes work well for making things stay fresh. They can work on rewriting the modes to test ideas.

Is like modding... for 2018 online games.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I blow away everyone who is trying to complete a challenge as soon as I let them complete the challenge. I have the gun. Dance for me Tomatoe Man. Dance.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Nullsmack posted:

I think the whole point of the challenges is to create battles and to drive people to go places they wouldn't otherwise. It'd be nice to be able to just do the challenge without contest but that's not the point and you probably shouldn't expect that. As much as I complain about how hard a couple of the challenges are.

It's only some challenges that take you way outside of regular gameplay that cause problems. The challenges that are like "kill people in [difficult way] or go to a place you don't normally land and get kills or fight for chests" are good. Even the ones that take you to certain places to find collectibles or whatever are fine.

Having to do coordinated emotes with other players in a specific place is just kind of a dumb challenge. Although I guess if you normally play squads it's less annoying.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

My Duo just got murdered when an opposing team rolled us hard. We were about halfway down a hill when they came up behind us in a shopping cart. As far as I can piece together he let go of the cart and his buddy rolled down the hill past us in it while he staed at the top firing into us. We didn't have a chance in the crossfire.

I couldn't even be mad, it was such a perfect use of the shopping cart.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

How do people even get rid of research points after maxing the trees? I'm getting triggered so loving hard at this point.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
You don't. The only way to expend them is on transforms and the RP cost never winds up being significant anyway.

I don't even know why there are trees for skill points/research points when the ultimate goal is to fill them all entirely. Skill trees are meant to furnish branched decision making, as it stands this poo poo could all have been backended into the level-up system since it's linear anyway.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Shere posted:

You don't. The only way to expend them is on transforms and the RP cost never winds up being significant anyway.

I don't even know why there are trees for skill points/research points when the ultimate goal is to fill them all entirely. Skill trees are meant to furnish branched decision making, as it stands this poo poo could all have been backended into the level-up system since it's linear anyway.

Yeah, figured. Especially now that Epic weapons have basically become obsolete, until they lower the Epic->Legendary upgrade price drastically.

It was entirely different at first in earlier alpha iterations. From what I've read in early early access days on Reddit, they changed it "coincidentally" around the time Tencent came in the mix. Making everything a lot more time-gated so people would keep logging in. Makes sense from a business PoV, at least for things where Tencent is involved.

It's aids for the majority of players though, there's not a lot of people out there who legitimately enjoy the trees, research ones in particular.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I've been playing since version 3 in the closed test. The heroes used to be selectable classes you unlocked by leveling up, the the skill trees used to be per-hero and functioned like WOTLK era WoW talent trees. All of the subclasses we have now were achievable by speccing your hero certain ways.

You would unlock gadgets and survivor squads by building and upgrading buildings in a big town, spending resources you acquired over time to build it.

Basically it worked more like a video game and less like a skinner box.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

this week's UMG fortnite friday tourney is off to a roaring start. First match of Ninja/DrLupo vs Hamlinz/Myth was down to the wire for the finish

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, that match was ridiculous. 46 kills between the Ninja/Lupo and Myth/Hamlinz lmao. I'm watching Calvin's stream to support one of the OG OW streamers. He's shredding it up real good, owning.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

holy poo poo myth and hamlinz came back to win and beat theifs and typical gamer in the last round

https://twitter.com/KEEMSTAR/status/1002753465100259328

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Myth consistently has at least double the viewers of the second most popular streamer on Twitch. Is he really that good/fun to watch? I've seen a few of the top streamers and they're all mind-bogglingly good.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Myth is probably one of the lesser entertaining top streamers for Fortnite. Dude is only 21 so he has a lot of "young streamer gaining lots of recognition" issues. Most of the top ones though (averaging 5k to 30k regular viewers) are really loving good and interesting to watch.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjgfFqwlsnI/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1gq9880owqq2y

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
yeah 20 minute game, down to 4, crash

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

AAB posted:

Myth is probably one of the lesser entertaining top streamers for Fortnite. Dude is only 21 so he has a lot of "young streamer gaining lots of recognition" issues. Most of the top ones though (averaging 5k to 30k regular viewers) are really loving good and interesting to watch.

Yeah, literally every other 20k+ viewer Fortnite streamer is more entertaining than Myth.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Conversely, though, he's also one of the better and well rounded players of the lot. No weird gimmicks or tryharding a singe playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Sypher is my favourite Fortnite streamer so far, seems like a nice guy and he's good