Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Not a Children posted:

David foster Wallace predicted the videophone predicament in 1993

Except instead of coming to the conclusion people wouldn’t use it, Infinite Jest has a whole like 6 page exposition on how people ended up developing masks that had perfect-looking faces on them that made them terrified of actually ever meeting anyone

she was born into wealth and will die with magnitudes more money than everyone here

yeah that was loving incredible and one of the best parts of the book. I read t circa when cell providers kept one upping each other advertising FACE ChaTTER BETTER THAN OUR COMPETITORS! running commercials non stop

then they just vaporized less than a year later

it was incresible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

my bitter bi rival posted:

wtf is a "zippered v-neck sweater"? like a quarter zip?

yes

a patagonia or even better yet arcteryx fleece is like the most bay area upper-middle-class thing in existence

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Snapchat and instragram are the perfect end result of that mini essay

complete with filters but most importantly curated with pastel and earth tone coloriizera

e: if he had conceived of it, texting was the ultimate regression in human expression, not bell-era aural communication. it's the perfect disconnection of any physical characteristics and least mental-anxiety mode of communicaiton we've come up with. but the personal curation of your ideal self and being disgusted with the tics of being a human is also seen thru instagram and poo poo pretty well, and i guess facebook but kind of a lesser degree since warts and all are often less curated.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 1, 2018

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

yes

a patagonia or even better yet arcteryx fleece is like the most bay area upper-middle-class thing in existence

lol oh yea this one is everywhere

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i get those at wholesale pricing, i have an arcteryx soft shell jacket with my company logo on it.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
given that like 95% of my wardrobe is camping and athletic gear I probably shoudn't speak too much out of turn

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Beast of Bourbon posted:

one of my friends parents are teachers/principals at Aramco schools in Saudi. like the entire compound is all foreign workers (americans/europeans) and the schools are taught in english and everything. They've been there since the 80s.

I used to do a bit of logistics work with Saudi Aramco and I would get annoyed having to do these peoples personal effects shipments, when they came back from Ramadan break, to send poo poo back to their lush compounds with movie theaters far away from the abject poverty the avg Saudi is facing. Like you can find salt anywhere don't be shipping it back from USA.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ate all the Oreos posted:

also it sounds like musk asked for a bunch of details on the specific tests consumer reports was running and just got his team to adjust the brakes to game those specific tests :allears:

to: controlls.eng.all@ts.la
subject: Consumer Reports Feedback
body: Gonna need you guys to tighten up the braking distance on the model 3

Work less than 50 hours/week or you're fired
Grime's Special Bedroom Friend

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i just remembered the saudi aramco magazine. it’s like some fever dream from 2003.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

skate shoes are always cool, go get some vans, you can rock those with almost any outfit

also buy vans because that money indirectly funds my paycheck, tyia

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

tighten up the braking distance on the model 3

idk if you meant for this to sound like "tighten up the graphics on level 3" but it certainly does and i love it

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

re: clothes and poo poo

one of my little joys in a business setting is wearing my watch and having some watch enthusiasts spot it and get interested in what it is and who makes it only to reveal it's a $15 shoe store watch that came with 3 wristbands and most dials on it are fake.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/mzbat/status/1002664544412536834

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

MononcQc posted:

re: clothes and poo poo

one of my little joys in a business setting is wearing my watch and having some watch enthusiasts spot it and get interested in what it is and who makes it only to reveal it's a $15 shoe store watch that came with 3 wristbands and most dials on it are fake.

same, but the spats i made out of paper plates with my kid’s safety scissors.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like the idea of github but i'd prefer an alternative that isn't antifeminist. is there such a thing?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

[img-passing-fedora]

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

i like the idea of github but i'd prefer an alternative that isn't antifeminist. is there such a thing?

if ur not particularly concerned about competence there’s always gitlab, or bitbucket if your forklifting cash to atlassian already

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
if you show up to an interview in a suit here they immediately DQ you for culture fit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

not in the tech world afaik

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jimmy Carter posted:

if you show up to an interview in a suit here they immediately DQ you for culture fit.

interviews != day to day work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its telling that everybody that is most upset about this focuses on the external perception of your appearance from others, rather than how you feel, indicating me that theyre probably poisoned in the head against any sort of decent clothing because the last time they put on a suit it was for grandma's funeral and there wasnt much time so how about you wear your older brother's, there, we'll just safety pin those cuffs up, ok let's go

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

JawnV6 posted:

[img-passing-fedora]

https://i.imgur.com/9sasJg3.mp4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yall ever like, worn a shirt that a tailor's worked on? it owns balls, you feel great, hell yeah

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dressing like a grownup is good imo. also, in what way is professional attire uncomfortable?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

like, if you’re wearing a tie and you feel like you’re being strangled then something is wrong.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
when the bowtie spins it makes my neckstubble chafe me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

wouldn’t know. my quintuple chins keep that bush league poo poo in check. :smuggo:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
my fedora keeps giving me ringworm around my brow i really need a good solution here guys

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Show up to work naked

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

keyboard vomit posted:

Show up to work naked

make sure to wear a gold tip dress sock, those are the best brand

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Oil up and engage in team building wrestling exercises

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

President Beep posted:

like, if you’re wearing a tie and you feel like you’re being strangled then something is wrong.

as a kid i hated ties until i learned that i have a real big neck and once i got appropriately proportioned shirts it was fine, yeah.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i have a tailored ralph lauren seersucker suit i got for the corgi races (it was $79 on clearance + $70 in tailoring fees) and it does feel amazing.

plus i feel like a southern gentleman in it. i said "i do declare" a lot.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Can someone post the linked in tshirt guy now? Tia!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Can someone post the linked in tshirt guy now? Tia!

https://www.thsirhf.linkedin/url

i have one hundred ties and theyre all terrible and i love them all

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

President Beep posted:

Or if you're not wearing a tie, really.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

PCjr sidecar posted:

if ur not particularly concerned about competence there’s always gitlab, or bitbucket if your forklifting cash to atlassian already

gitlab caught some flak when they hosted the GG repo for like... 3 days after it got kicked off github?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

keyboard vomit posted:

Show up to work naked

Co-Ed Naked Computer Touching

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

my bitter bi rival posted:

you cant skate in those dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Co-Ed Naked Computer Touching

lmao. that’s a deep cut.