Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Leavemywife posted:

That's what I thought, too. It makes sense for the Hulk, too; he's always been the strongest, not been the scared one, but now he's gotten his poo poo wrecked, he's terrified it'll happen again and isn't coming out.

It's the Hulk version of taking your ball and going home.

Yeah, I'm surprised there wasn't a scene where Bruce or someone else says, "I know you're scared, big guy, but..".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still like to think that it's just Hulk's ego being bruised for why he won't go fight anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Putting Banner in the Hulkbuster armour was pretty inspired. Makes a degree of sense too since iirc Banner helped design it.

I thought Banner in Hulkbuster armor was hilarious fun, but I kept waiting for Hulk to finally Hulk out and bust through the armor from the inside.

They better do more with Banner and Hulk's relationship in Infinity War 2: The Hulk Strikes Back

Also give me World War Hulk movie plz

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't assume it was fear of Thanos or shame keeping him from coming out.

Like, it obviously might have been that, but there are other clear possibilities.

In Ragnarok, Hulk talked to Thor about how Earth hates him and he was obviously upset by it. He knows he's back on Earth and doesn't want to come out, either because of hard feelings about Earth hating him or even because he doesn't want to go full monster and hurt more innocent people on earth, justifying and amplifying their hatred.

It did seem pretty clear that we weren't really supposed to understand why he wouldn't come out, and that Bruce himself didn't understand, and that we'd learn more in A4.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Bloop posted:

It did seem pretty clear that we weren't really supposed to understand why he wouldn't come out, and that Bruce himself didn't understand, and that we'd learn more in A4.

Yeah. This was what I took from it too.

It seemed a bit odd, but not so much that it bothered me.
I'm a big fan of triumphant arrivals in these movies (Thor turning up at the end in Ragnarok, hnnng) so hopefully it'll build up to something kickass in IW:2.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought Banner in Hulkbuster armor was hilarious fun, but I kept waiting for Hulk to finally Hulk out and bust through the armor from the inside.

Yeah, so were a lot of people apparently.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Me too

Serf
May 5, 2011

Clearly those shots are from the next movie, when they travel back in time to undo all this stuff and we get the real final battle.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You gotta think bigger with these things. You gotta think Hulk in fitting nanotech Iron Man armor.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

It’s the Hulk version of erectile dysfunction. He’s gotta get get himself a nice understanding sparring partner in order to get back into his former groove.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

quidditch it and quit it posted:

It’s the Hulk version of erectile dysfunction. He’s gotta get get himself a nice understanding sparring partner in order to get back into his former groove.

Someone in one of the comic book movie threads called it “Shrektile Dysfunction”.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Clam Chowdown posted:

I caught a bit of Taken 3 last night on TV where Liam Neeson and his ex-CIA buddies were questioning a guy connected to the villain of the movie. The guy is explaining and says something like, "he's former spetsnaz, which is like the Russian version of your special forces." Motherfucker, they know what the spetsnaz is.

I remember seeing/thinking that but giving it a pass because the average viewer probably doesn't

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I still can't believe this is a real thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Bloop posted:

Like, it obviously might have been that, but there are other clear possibilities.

In Ragnarok, Hulk talked to Thor about how Earth hates him and he was obviously upset by it. He knows he's back on Earth and doesn't want to come out, either because of hard feelings about Earth hating him or even because he doesn't want to go full monster and hurt more innocent people on earth, justifying and amplifying their hatred.

Yeah that's a plausible theory. If Hulk is afraid of Thanos why does he refuse to come out when Thanos isn't even around? All his scenes of refusing to transform are on Earth, and he doesn't want to be hated by Earth especially after he's experienced what planet-wide admiration is like.

Although we never really SEE Earth really hating the Hulk in the MCU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fyi thor is ginger so the entirety of the marvel universe is a mess and a waste.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah that's a plausible theory. If Hulk is afraid of Thanos why does he refuse to come out when Thanos isn't even around? All his scenes of refusing to transform are on Earth, and he doesn't want to be hated by Earth especially after he's experienced what planet-wide admiration is like.

Although we never really SEE Earth really hating the Hulk in the MCU

I took it as the hulk had never had his rear end kicked before. He's arguably lost fights, but thanos beat him down like it was literally nothing, and came very close to killing him. So he was frightened and his confidence was shaken, and he was refusing to come out to fight even thanos' lieutenants just in case it happened again. When would the Hulk ever have learned resilience? Now he realises defeat (and death) is an option he's become overcautious. If they explain in the next one there is another reason then fine, but I still think that the movie on screen does a better job of showing "The Hulk is scared" than it does showing whatever other motivation the director thinks we should have picked up on.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

fyi thor is ginger so the entirety of the marvel universe is a mess and a waste.

Thor spent his time on earth going through one of those fourteen-century-old adolescent phases and dyed his hair.

You should have seen what weird poo poo loki was up to.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

SiKboy posted:

I took it as the hulk had never had his rear end kicked before. He's arguably lost fights, but thanos beat him down like it was literally nothing, and came very close to killing him. So he was frightened and his confidence was shaken, and he was refusing to come out to fight even thanos' lieutenants just in case it happened again. When would the Hulk ever have learned resilience? Now he realises defeat (and death) is an option he's become overcautious. If they explain in the next one there is another reason then fine, but I still think that the movie on screen does a better job of showing "The Hulk is scared" than it does showing whatever other motivation the director thinks we should have picked up on.

I thought Hulk was supposed to be angry? Like, thats his thing, he is this really loving angry thing that is unstoppable because it just gets angrier and stronger when in trouble. And when it stops being angry it turns back into weedy Dr Banner.

So I don't get this scared Hulk stuff, surely if it isn't angry then the Hulk doesn't even exist, and a scared Hulk isn't angry. A Hulk consciously feeling scared and making a conscious decision to hide, is that even a Hulk at all?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Should just be renamed the Incredible Sulk.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tunicate posted:

Thor spent his time on earth going through one of those fourteen-century-old adolescent phases and dyed his hair.

You should have seen what weird poo poo loki was up to.

no i know, loki was all over the place... swan, horse, beaver, who even knows?

thor is like patriarchy incarnate and he would never dye his energetic red hair

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Hulk used to be an Anger Elemental but, since he is a sentient being, has matured and evolved.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

bucketybuck posted:

I thought Hulk was supposed to be angry? Like, thats his thing, he is this really loving angry thing that is unstoppable because it just gets angrier and stronger when in trouble. And when it stops being angry it turns back into weedy Dr Banner.

So I don't get this scared Hulk stuff, surely if it isn't angry then the Hulk doesn't even exist, and a scared Hulk isn't angry. A Hulk consciously feeling scared and making a conscious decision to hide, is that even a Hulk at all?

I'm coming at this from the perspective of a comics reader, so the hulk* having other emotions as well as "angry" isn't that weird to me. Note, as well as. He's still angry but its totally possible to be scared and angry at the same time. I guess I think of it like when Banner gets angry and/or loses control he releases the hulk. But just because a cage door opens doesnt mean the animal leaves. Especially if its scared of what is waiting for it outside the cage. I was another one waiting for Hulk to smash out of the hulkbuster armour in the last act, smashing henchmen while still wearing the hulkbuster legs as iron pants.

*Comics Hulk has varied intelligence over the decades between "Literally mindless beast" and "Banner level supergenius", and his emotional range and control has also varied wildly. Obviously the movies are doing their own thing, but I think Thor Ragnarok showed the Hulk was capable of reasoning, making conscious decisions, and having emotions other than uncontrolled rage.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hulk spent TWO years, as himself, with friends, admiration, comfort and endless stuff to smash. He became his own person in that time, and now it’s all being taken away while he gets punched and dicked around by people he hasn’t seen for years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Black August posted:

Hulk spent TWO years, as himself, with friends, admiration, comfort and endless stuff to smash. He became his own person in that time, and now it’s all being taken away while he gets punched and dicked around by people he hasn’t seen for years.

Right but I guess the point is only a small group of comic book readers know that, none(or very little) of it is actually in any of the movies. The mainstream audience who knows nothing about Planet Hulk seems to have interpreted it a different way because of the way they set everything up.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
didn't they show that in ragnarok?

and in everyone in the avengers repeatedly going "we lost the hulk fuuuuuuck."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
As the Champion on Sakar, Hulk was undefeated. He won every fight he had in two years. He was a celebrity, a hero, and an icon.

Thanos kicked his rear end in less than 30 seconds.

If that doesn't humble you, I don't know what does.

It makes sense that Hulk is tired of being used as a weapon since he had two entire years to grow and become his own person. But he still loved being angry and wailing on people in the ring. So, what? He didn't want to come out and stay out to kill a bunch of nameless aliens? Once Hulk is out, he doesn't have to go back. He's proven that. Banner was afraid of it. But Hulk, immediately after getting his only beatdown in memory and being Bifrosted to Earth, said "gently caress this, I'm going back to sleep" and reverted to Banner. Is it fear or shame?

Edit: The Immortal Hulk in the current comics is Bruce Banner by day Hulk by night. Also, Hulk is immortal but Bruce isn't.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Jun 2, 2018

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Would’ve taken one line like “Hulk sick of being weapon for Avengers” and they could’ve made it really clear. I’m another one who assumed the Hulk was, for the first time, unsure and scared.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bucketybuck posted:

The thing about comic book characters is there's like 2,000 versions of any given character. Because various different authors have taken control of the character over the years, you get a million different takes on that character.

So you've got like amazing spider man, uncanny spider man, ultimate spider man, spider man 2020, they're all totally different dudes.

So similarly sometimes Hulk is a total 100% angry rage-monster. But sometimes Hulk is totally a deep and even at times introspective character with his own strengths and flaws and relationships.

And where with comics you at least have different series and can stick with something for awhile, the movies are just jumping all the gently caress over the place cribbing from random ideas. So... yeah. Characters in comic book movies are very inconsistent.

Short version: Anger brings out the hulk but hulk is not all anger.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Jun 2, 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The 100% angry rage monster version is apparently the version I absorbed from the comics, because I also didn't understand the Hulkbuster armor. The last Hulk comics I read his power was functionally infinite because it grew with his anger. The harder you hit him the stronger he got, until all they could do was literally throw him off the planet, and that was the World War Hulk story they kind of sort of cribbed from for Ragnarok.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Lessons from a Screenplay just released 12 minutes of why I don't like TLJ. Sums it up more succinctly than I could

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYN2Lp9oHMk

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Lessons from a Screenplay just released 12 minutes of why I don't like TLJ. Sums it up more succinctly than I could

TLJ was the best Star War next to Rogue One.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'd say something about wasting 12 minutes watching a video of why a Star Wars movie is bad but considering people still drag out the RLM reviews to this day, sure, that's succinct.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

TLJ was the best Star War next to Rogue One.

TLJ was terrible.

Calls to let the past die are pretty funny considering Disney paid $4B to acquire that past.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"Let the past die" I say, as the setting and plot of the movie mechanically contort and bend to become Rebels vs. Empire forever, because that's the only story Star Wars knows how to tell.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Forget the past because this new poo poo compares extremely unfavorably to it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Canemacar posted:

TLJ was terrible.

Calls to let the past die are pretty funny considering Disney paid $4B to acquire that past.

Its the same poo poo that lots of adaptations love to do; paying tons of money for some license because its popular but then telling themselves that doing more of the same would definitely not be popular so they have to change everything about it.

Like at that point just call it Galaxy Fights or Space Conflict and you can skip paying $4B.

But companies really love brands.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

"Let the past die" I say, as the setting and plot of the movie mechanically contort and bend to become Rebels vs. Empire forever, because that's the only story Star Wars knows how to tell. Disney and the people directing Star Wars movies these days can think of.

Corrected.

If you read the books, people had all KINDS of ideas of things to do with star wars that weren't rebels vs empire forever, not at all. They dropped that poo poo right away and moved on.

But Disney jettisoned all that out the airlock for some stupid reason and replaced it with JJ Abrams and Goddamn Rian Johnson. JJ Abrams just re-did A new hope beat for beat with no creativity but worse, and Johnson was so obsessed with "subversion" that he just made a lovely movie. Neither of them had any original ideas worth a drat.

Sci-fi needs new ideas. It should be inspiring. Even the prequels at least got that right.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: Johnson doing Star Wars is apparently a lot like JJ doing Star Trek. Someone who doesn't like or understand a universe and thus does everything the opposite of what the fans would like because "that's modern".

OK to make it relevant to the thread my IIMM of TLJ was that Carrie Fisher died during the making of the movie, and yet they had her character implausibly and ridiculously survive her almost certain death in the movie. :psyduck:

If I live to be a thousand years old I'll never understand that one.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Jun 2, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

(NPH in starship troopers touching the fat vagina bug but instead of the bug it’s the hulk)

It’s afraid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oldpainless posted:

(NPH in starship troopers touching the fat vagina bug but instead of the bug it’s the hulk)

It’s afraid!

johnny rico: "im just so tired of all these star wars"