Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love beer league team reputations, was chatting up a dude from the team we played against over the weekend and he warned us about how the guys we're playing next week are super dirty cheapshotting assholes. I've played them many times and they're very good, but have always given us a competitive clean game. I counter with the one team I do hate and he's all "nah we played them last week and they are super chill and cool."

It's like office politics, but I pay for the privilege of experiencing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorJohnSteed
Dec 20, 2014

Playing in the tournament was a huge amount of fun and it didn't hurt to win it. The 7-1 score is a bit misleading. As was said, they had a lot of good chances. Additionally, our goalie was a monster and we got some good bounces. The 7th goal was mine, a low fluttering wrist shot from the point with at least 4 people in front of it that somehow found its way through.

After the tie-break situation was sorted out, we were left playing the one team that beat us, back in the first game. It was a tight game, 4-2 when all said and done. It was real nice to have our first-time captain get an empty netter to seal the win for the championship.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Alright this is a stupid thing. My hands and brain have completely forgotten how to coordinate skating forward and dribbling the puck. I was never even Pavel Datsyuk's special needs cousin, but I used to be able to at least keep the puck in front of me and dribble a little bit.

Suggestions (aside from "stop playing" or "dump it in")?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Your first problem is attempting to dribble the puck like a basketball, they dont bounce very well. I suggest trying the standard method of 'stick handling' the puck instead.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

:aaa:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
gently caress that if you can actually dribble a puck you can absolutely dominate beer league. Nobody has the coordination to hit a puck above ice level.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Back in '45 Gord McCorrant led the league in points because he found that post-war rubber bounced differently on the ice surface, and used the springy properties of the new pucks to basically dominate possession.

It's why the NHL keeps their pucks in an iced cooler these days.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Good News: I finally feel like I'm in the right place most of the time while I'm playing hockey.

Bad News: This means I get the puck way more often, where my chances of doing something stupid go up by about 800%.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Good News: I finally feel like I'm in the right place most of the time while I'm playing hockey.

Bad News: This means I get the puck way more often, where my chances of doing something stupid go up by about 800%.

Best advice I've ever heard from a coach was basically, "if you're the kind of person who doesn't want the puck, make yourself be someone who always wants it and yells for it."

Only way to get better at things is to try them, and you can't do that if you don't have the puck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Getting touches is a door opener because it means you now have opportunities to test puck handling in a competitive situation and start to build muscle memory for what does and doesn't work.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Definitely touch the puck. Once you start receiving passes, picking up loose pucks, etc. you get way more comfortable.

One of our coaches waaaaay back when told me, "just get the puck, maybe stick handle a couple of times, and then look for a pass or shot." Once I shortened the time I actually had the puck, suddenly I could hold it longer bit by bit.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Don't be afraid to make plays. It's beer league, and anyone who yells at you for making a mistake is an rear end in a top hat. I mean don't be that jerk who always toe drags as the last man back, etc but it's ok to try risky stuff now and then. It's the only way to learn.

Although if your best player is on the ice it's uh not a bad thing to constantly hit them with passes too. My defensive partner is better at rushing the puck than me as he's the best player on our team, so while I'm not afraid to carry it myself I have no qualms about just resetting the play and dishing off to him if it looks like a tough situation to navigate.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm happy that I'm getting the puck more, I just feel like I'm letting my teammates down when I can't execute. Everyone's been very cool about it, so I know it's all in my head.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah, it's no big deal. Everybody does it. I used to be hard on myself about stuff and it just made it harder. Once I basically stopped thinking about the game and just playing, the better I got, if that makes sense.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
First time out with my new pads and I skated with/against Derek Stepan (yellow jersey). The summer skate sounds like it's going to have even more NHL'ers in this time, Ryan McDonough's likely and some rumors of Brock Boeser and Oshi showing up later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlLDyLfDhfs

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That move at 1:52 :stonk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NHLers can gently caress off forever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm happy that I'm getting the puck more, I just feel like I'm letting my teammates down when I can't execute. Everyone's been very cool about it, so I know it's all in my head.

gently caress your teammates who gives a poo poo it’s not the Stanley cup. You do you.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

gently caress your teammates who gives a poo poo it’s not the Stanley cup.

in the shower or parking lot?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

in the shower or parking lot?

Just work your way out.

Helmet woes: finally need to replace my circa 1994 CCM helmet, decided on the FL500 so I can keep my brain in place. Helmet is sweet as hell, and is maybe 1/8" too small
God. drat. It.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Find that one dude that does modern remake of vintage lids. They're $200+ but can you really put a price on looking like you're from the 80's?

edit - holy poo poo they're charging $800 now. business must be booming!

https://www.olympia-composites.com/composite-goalie-player-helmets

xzzy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 5, 2018

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Dude who cares get out there and be stupid it's rec league fun times

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

Find that one dude that does modern remake of vintage lids. They're $200+ but can you really put a price on looking like you're from the 80's?

Goddamn, they definitely didn't used to be that expensive.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Dude on my team scored his first goal in 15 years tonight. He was pretty pumped.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Thufir posted:

Dude on my team scored his first goal in 15 years tonight. He was pretty pumped.

I have no idea how you play hockey for 15 years and not once get an accidental goal at least?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

Imagine being the dude who pays $800 on a helmet that you can't mount a cage or visor to.

Oh wait. If you need a cage, you can spend $225 on one!
https://www.olympia-composites.com/handcrafted-custom-goalie-cages

Also, they ask for a lead time of 8 weeks to make a helmet. Only 4 weeks for a cage, though!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'd spend $800 on a Bauer 7500 helmet that didn't have the foam pieces inside fall out within 6 months owning them.

I just used Gorilla Glue this time around

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

D C posted:

I have no idea how you play hockey for 15 years and not once get an accidental goal at least?

Yeah it seems insane. I've been playing with him for 3 years and I don't think I realized he hadn't scored at all in that time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

He took 12 years off in the middle?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't scored in over a year now.

I was a dick's width away from it on Sunday though, defense was screening his goalie, I tucked my stick in to change the angle and shot it right past his hip. Gaping hole by the goalies head and I put it just outside the post. :smith:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That move at 1:52 :stonk:

Yeah that deke was just mean. Must be fun (/maddening) playing against those guys though.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I haven't scored since late 2006, not long before my son was born.

Wait, are we talking about goals?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

D C posted:

Even I've scored goals against actual goalies and I am garbage when I skate out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You also scored legit pond hockey goals which are probably more difficult given ice conditions and net size.

I got a pacific rink gear co. player bag as a gift and it is really, really nice.

What equipment tools/supplies do ya'll keep in your bag? I keep scissors, phillips screwdriver, small first aid kit, spare laces. What am I missing? This bag is so well organized that I have places to keep this stuff.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I keep a spare cup, scissors, all the tapes (sponge for top hand grip, black for stick and clear for socks), wax for blade, a small screwdriver for helmet repairs, spare laces ... a flat stone in case I get a nasty burr on my skates. Water bottle, flip flops and shower gel.

Now that I co-captain the team - spare jerseys, puck bag, locker room award, roster/line sheet. poo poo gets heavy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

roster/line sheet

what

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just tape, scissors and an old leatherman to handle knife and screwdriver duties.

Oh and some bunga pads just in case.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i remember all my equipment, usually

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

We have to submit a written roster to the scorekeeper before every game. They ensure the players on our roster match who is eligible to play on our team which prevents bringing random ringers on when needed and also keeps track of players games for playoff eligibility (you need to play something like 50-60% of the season to be playoff eligible)

Its definitely one of the more official/statistic keeping leagues I've ever played in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We do those too but our rink isn't completely lovely and prints them out and has sign-in sheets at the front desk when you get to the rink.

The printout matches whoever checked in as attending on the website too.

(technically the rink doesn't do that part, the roster stuff is all handled by the ASHL league site)