Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My favorite thing about Tyranny is some early game foreshadowing that 99 percent of players will never see. If you rest in the tent until after the date on the edict, you get a full year to do Act I, because the edict never specified which 8th Day of Swords or whatever. Seems like an oversight, but the back half of the game has a lot of breaking edicts through rules lawyering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Knowing the rules so well that you can twist the words of the law specifically to ram them up people's asses is one of your greatest superpowers.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

RyokoTK posted:

The end of the game involves you finding and tapping into some of the same godlike power that Kyros wields, and you can actually enact your own Edicts (the sort of supernatural cataclysms that Kyros used to conquer the world), so after you wipe out the remaining opposition in the Tiers you have the choice of either unifying everyone around you in the name of Kyros, or deciding to wage war against them because you want to be the ruler and you actually have the power to stand up to them.

Unfortunately Obsidian very obviously ran out of either time or money because all of this happens in some dialogue boxes and the game just ends before you can actually confront Kyros or even meet them in person. :(

So what ancient burial ground was Obsidian built on to be this thoroughly cursed? Goddamn, they always have this happen to them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It also does that thing Obsidian do in all their new games, where some words in dialogue are highlighted, and hovering your mouse over them gives you the glossary entry.

Except one dude is psychic, and uses it to slip you secret messages.

Pyre does that too, and uses it for all the dialog of one party member who's an animal- he speaks in unintelligible noises but your character has a natural intuition for what he's trying to say. So the dialog onscreen will just be "SKREEEEEEAWWWWWK" and if you mouse over that you get a popup with your interpretation written out.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Jun 1, 2018

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It also does that thing Obsidian do in all their new games, where some words in dialogue are highlighted, and hovering your mouse over them gives you the glossary entry.

Except one dude is psychic, and uses it to slip you secret messages.

This is an amazing feature too, really helps you keep up on the lore and such without having to read a 10 page story, and its nice when it lets you look up what a stat does as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You can also get high on magic drugs and reveal what your character is really thinking. My favorite: "Did you know that, legally speaking, my word is the same as Tunon's word unless the Archon contradicts my word as Fatebinder? Rhogalus says the legal term for that is Proxy Decisis. Calio says the legal term is "gently caress you, I'm the law."

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm giving Tyranny another shot, and instead of playing as a talky magic guy, I made a guy who sort of looks like Hulk Hogan, and is an angry violent idiot with a big mace. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I thought that in a later patch or with the DLC, they gave you the option of trying to stay as a midlevel Fatebinder but you get loving crushed because you tapped into Kyros-only powers, you dumb poo poo, of course an evil overlord wasn't going to let that go

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I know if I loving buy Tyranny and like it, I'll be forced to kowtow and buy PoE2 after not liking PoE on the off-chance it's good this time and just get slapped in the face by life. Stop selling me this game!!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't know about PoE2 as I haven't played it, but Tyranny is so much more focused with its quest design and momentum that they're pretty different games in execution. Just do it, it's good!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I made my Tyranny character look like my ex and just destroyed everything and everyone. :smith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My favorite thing about Tyranny is some early game foreshadowing that 99 percent of players will never see. If you rest in the tent until after the date on the edict, you get a full year to do Act I, because the edict never specified which 8th Day of Swords or whatever. Seems like an oversight, but the back half of the game has a lot of breaking edicts through rules lawyering.

Regarding this spoiler, I think it's been patched out??? I don't know, I definitely just slept in a tent to see if the game would actually follow through and it totally did. Everyone in the Well died, including myself, and I got an achievement for my trouble.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blind Sally posted:

Regarding this spoiler, I think it's been patched out??? I don't know, I definitely just slept in a tent to see if the game would actually follow through and it totally did. Everyone in the Well died, including myself, and I got an achievement for my trouble.

I hosed up the phrasing, you have to do that resting stuff before you read the edict. There’s one tent in like the very first area you can use. I don’t see why they would patch it out, it seems very deliberate.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

The Bee posted:

So what ancient burial ground was Obsidian built on to be this thoroughly cursed? Goddamn, they always have this happen to them.

I remember hearing a rumour that Obsidian was diverting some of Tyranny's budget into Pillars II, and that's why Pillars II has a different publisher to the first game. Paradox Interactive was reportedly Not Happy with Obsidian.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chris Avellone's meltdown over at RPG Codex of all places indicates that Obsidian has had deep leadership problems for years.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Bee posted:

Obsidian has always had an issue with project management. So many of their things suffer from either an end game rush or 'cut content'

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I hosed up the phrasing, you have to do that resting stuff before you read the edict. There’s one tent in like the very first area you can use. I don’t see why they would patch it out, it seems very deliberate.

oh, lol, i know the one youre talking about. that's uh actually pretty clever

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
loving goons making me buy video games about being the bad guy... *expands Steam backlog by one*

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This is something my girlfriend brought up recently, but I happen to agree with it: The one guy that voices all the guards in Oblivion is the best guy for voicing law enforcement. Because he can sound totally kind and reasonable if you're just talking to a guard about directions or something, but when you actually commit a crime he nails "STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM" like a loving shotgun.

Those lines are repeated so often that it's a joke anyway, but that first time it comes out of nowhere is kinda terrifying, especially if you played it when you were kinda young like we did. He's intimidating in a way that the guards in Skyrim never come close to, those guys all sound bored regardless of what's going on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tyranny is on origin access so I’m not opposed to playing it just for the themes, but how does the gameplay hold up?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Digirat posted:

Tyranny is on origin access so I’m not opposed to playing it just for the themes, but how does the gameplay hold up?

It's a solid CRPG. You get pretty strong in combat, but you need good perception for traps.

Also it has team up techs and mechanical bonuses for being loved out hated by factions.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Chris Avellone's meltdown over at RPG Codex of all places indicates that Obsidian has had deep leadership problems for years.

How Obsidian used his name to pitch a game to publishers, then screwed him over on health insurance when he left, and tried to force a non-compete agreement that would have effectively banned him from the industry has really soured me on them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pillars of Eternity 2 is so much of an improvement on the original it's not funny.

Tyranny was meant to be the "we made this replayable with all the different factions" game and then somehow PoE2 is much better with that and especially with all the cool wack class and subclass combinations you can make.

So I guess that's my little thing for the thread, PoE2 lets you do cool wacky stuff with dualclassing and subclassing.

Like yeah you can play a regular fighter and have guns in your ranged slot and swords in your melee slot.
Or you can play a 'Black Jacket' fighter who has way more equipment slots than average, so you can equip four sets of dual pistols. So instead of reloading you just equip a new pistol set.

And then have your dual class be Shifter Druid, so when you run out of guns you can then transform into a wereanimal.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

bewilderment posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 is so much of an improvement on the original it's not funny.

Tyranny was meant to be the "we made this replayable with all the different factions" game and then somehow PoE2 is much better with that and especially with all the cool wack class and subclass combinations you can make.

So I guess that's my little thing for the thread, PoE2 lets you do cool wacky stuff with dualclassing and subclassing.

Like yeah you can play a regular fighter and have guns in your ranged slot and swords in your melee slot.
Or you can play a 'Black Jacket' fighter who has way more equipment slots than average, so you can equip four sets of dual pistols. So instead of reloading you just equip a new pistol set.

And then have your dual class be Shifter Druid, so when you run out of guns you can then transform into a wereanimal.

So basically all the kickstarter jank is gone? because PoE 1 was janky as hell (I'm not just talking about the dumb backer rewards).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Digirat posted:

It's fine. Kind of limited enemy variety and it definitely gets progressively easier as you power up, but it's fun and your MC pretty rapidly becomes all-powerful in that she can do thiefy stuff, then cast some nuke spells and whip out a two-handed sword to finish the job.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

PoE was honestly one of the most boring games I have ever played, and I've played a lot of slow-rear end CRPGs, so I'm really hesitant to try PoE2 even if people say it's much improved over the original.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

exquisite tea posted:

PoE was honestly one of the most boring games I have ever played, and I've played a lot of slow-rear end CRPGs, so I'm really hesitant to try PoE2 even if people say it's much improved over the original.

The main plot gets started a lot faster, there's party AI now so you don't need to constantly autopause and you can 100% customise it, and a beta patch just dropped to fix all the egregious release bugs.

I felt the same way about POE1, PoE2 is genuinely great now.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So Gwent players got some codes via email yesterday.

GOGGWENT75 gets you a bunch of games, including Tyranny, for 75% off.
GOGGWENT50 has a bunch of other games, like Pyre, for 50%.

Edit: here's links to make it easier:
https://www.gog.com/redeem/GOGGWENT50
https://www.gog.com/redeem/GOGGWENT75

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Jun 2, 2018

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

rydiafan posted:

*sighs and unzips wallet*

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

rydiafan posted:

You motherfuckers did this on purpose

You talked about the goddamn game for pages and then landed a discount on us

All of you bastards are working for Obsidian

loving hell :negative:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Well their posts were released in a timely manner and without glaring problems or obviously rushed sections, so I'd say signs point against them working for Obsidian.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, after hearing good things about PoE 2, I went back to PoE 1 and tried to actually finish it so that I'd have a save to import. Just couldn't manage it, quit somewhere about halfway through (at least I hope it was at least halfway, because otherwise oof). There's just so little momentum to the plot, and few of the sidequests were all that interesting so far. So I decided gently caress that, I'll go into PoE 2 blind. Pirate adventures here I come.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Well, PoE sceptics hit this thread up after being lab rats for PoE2 please.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I friggin' love what I played of Tyranny and should really go back and finish it.

On another note, loading screens in Hyrule Warriors let you use buttons to play the ocarina, with available pitch shifting to allow 15 distinct tones. I've definitely not realized the level has been loaded for 30s already because I'm too busy trying to work out some dumb tune.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Canemacar posted:

How Obsidian used his name to pitch a game to publishers, then screwed him over on health insurance when he left, and tried to force a non-compete agreement that would have effectively banned him from the industry has really soured me on them.

Wow what

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Pillars II is legitimately much freaking better than Pillars 1. This is coming from someone who beat Pillars 1 twice, but had to force myself to do so. A LOOOOOOT of the jankiness from Pillars 1 is gone, and there's a lot of neat features in place. The writing in general seems better too, and pirating around is fun, if a little basic. Pillars II is the game pillars I should have been, frankly. One neat feature is that getting achievements in Pillars II unlocks new game plus stuff like starting with more cash, and you can use so immediately. Being indecisive as heck, I stopped playing a character and made a new one, only to realize that it actually wasn't time wasted due to that 'cheevo system. Pretty dang neat!

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug

Canemacar posted:

Yikes, I didn't hear about that. Maybe we need some sort of anonymous developer confession thread in Games or GBS or something...

That's legitimately lovely

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Bear in mind that is Avellone's side of the story, which he decided to ramble on about on the RPGCodex, along with some other generalized making GBS threads on his former coworkers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Bear in mind that is Avellone's side of the story, which he decided to ramble on about on the RPGCodex, along with some other generalized making GBS threads on his former coworkers.

I think reality is that it's probably a little column A, a little column B, but really more indicative that Obsidian has had some serious problems amongst its leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Samuringa posted:

You motherfuckers did this on purpose

You talked about the goddamn game for pages and then landed a discount on us

All of you bastards are working for Obsidian

loving hell :negative:

[Glare silently.]