Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Hey, have you played Tacoma? Because I too am frequently let down by the ending of a lot of story heavy games like this (you mention Firewatch in another post and that's a perfect example of a game that I felt just completely dive bombed at the very end). They often feels like they stumble at the finish line, but I felt like Tacoma totally nailed the ending. Give that game a shot!

I watched an LP of Tacoma and while I thought the story was kind of dull the ending actually got me surprisingly engaged. It felt like such a break Typical Indie Walking Sim convention. Edith Finch was well done but not entirely my thing. I love a good story about bizarre/ironic deaths but there are few "wow" moments in that game.

P.S. Polarized had me bitching about it from start to finish meanwhile Hell is Empty had the scene with Chloe and William in the car. BtS is better sorry.

Edit:

BobTheJanitor posted:

In terms of other narrative-focused games, I'm in agreement that a lot of them are just underwhelming at the end. I'm not quite sure why, but there seems to be a trend of downer endings. Not that you can't have a downer ending if the story calls for it, but most of the time it just feels forced. It feels like they're trying to win points for being mature, but a forced bleak conclusion usually ends up feeling immature, to me at least.

Actually yeah, this part of what I mean when I say Typical Indie Walking Sim convention. Toddling around an isolated location picking up letters and audiologs and ending with a mediation on loss or death or whatever. Sometimes it just feels so pre-canned.

LoseHound fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As far as Polarized goes, I did sort of like the idea of the nightmare sequence even if they couldn't pull it off that well in practice (the weird journal entries/texts were also a nice touch that BtS ended up borrowing for its own dream sequences), the final scene has some phenomenal acting from both Ashly Burch and Hannah Telle (Max is basically hanging on by a thread at this point and it really comes across in her voice) and it is a nice touch that the two characters have essentially swapped roles by that point (Max is broken and acting irrationally while Chloe is trying to be the voice of reason) but that's probably the best I can say about that episode.

On a side note, I'm curious what the naming scheme for the episodes in Season 2 will be as in the first game they all had something to do with time (or a timed process at any rate) and in BtS they were all named after lines from The Tempest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 24, 2018

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Are you kidding? The ending to NITW is maybe the most depressing finale I've ever seen. Nothing has gotten better and nobody is closer to solving any of their problems. Great game though!

Huh, I didn't really get that feeling from it. And I'm usually the first person to get mopey about a depressing ending. I mean, Mae and co. have soundly defeated the murdering cult and presumably pacified the dark god (that may or may not exist), at least for now. Gregg and Angus are moving on with their lives and have a shot at making it. Bea could have used a little more hope for the future, I'll grant you, but she seems like the kind of person who will eventually plow through life by sheer force of will to get what she wants. And Mae's disassociation problems seem like they may be improving. At least judging by her final dialogue with the weird space bugs about how she wants to feel things, even if they're bad things that hurt.

Again, I'm not angling for 'and they all lived happily ever after'. Just an ending that feels like the characters have some hope, even in lovely circumstances. It's a little cliche, but I kind of felt satisfied that the game stuck to its tagline 'at the end of everything, hold on to anything.' Bleak, yet defiantly hopeful nonetheless.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Chloe and Rachel looked so happy together. :(

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The ending of nitw is literally Capitalism an eldricht horror is going to milk us dry and leave our cold, rotting corpses dead on the ground murder us eventually, so we might as well try to live it up while we can.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BobTheJanitor posted:

Huh, I didn't really get that feeling from it. And I'm usually the first person to get mopey about a depressing ending. I mean, Mae and co. have soundly defeated the murdering cult and presumably pacified the dark god (that may or may not exist), at least for now. Gregg and Angus are moving on with their lives and have a shot at making it. Bea could have used a little more hope for the future, I'll grant you, but she seems like the kind of person who will eventually plow through life by sheer force of will to get what she wants. And Mae's disassociation problems seem like they may be improving. At least judging by her final dialogue with the weird space bugs about how she wants to feel things, even if they're bad things that hurt.

Again, I'm not angling for 'and they all lived happily ever after'. Just an ending that feels like the characters have some hope, even in lovely circumstances. It's a little cliche, but I kind of felt satisfied that the game stuck to its tagline 'at the end of everything, hold on to anything.' Bleak, yet defiantly hopeful nonetheless.

The ending to NITW should leave you wanting to smash the state. Mae doesn't need hope, she needs medication and counseling to deal with her mental illness, services that she cannot afford due to her family's financial problems. Everybody in Possum Springs is hosed because they lack very real material access to the things that they so desperately need, not because they were only lacking in hopey changey feels. The cult was only a reflection of the deeper "hole at the bottom of everything" that is sucking the lifeblood out of Mae's hometown and it has no name, no body, nor country. The final scenes of NITW were not emotionally cathartic at all to me, they left me angry and wanting to firebomb the nearest corporate dinner.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The ending to NITW should leave you wanting to smash the state. Mae doesn't need hope, she needs medication and counseling to deal with her mental illness, services that she cannot afford due to her family's financial problems. Everybody in Possum Springs is hosed because they lack very real material access to the things that they so desperately need, not because they were only lacking in hopey changey feels. The cult was only a reflection of the deeper "hole at the bottom of everything" that is sucking the lifeblood out of Mae's hometown and it has no name, no body, nor country. The final scenes of NITW were not emotionally cathartic at all to me, they left me angry and wanting to firebomb the nearest corporate dinner.

Seriously at the end they are all together saying "Welp we are all doomed and dying, but at least we have eachother!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
To me it felt hopeful in spite of everything being terrible which is almost a little TOO real right now

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I mean, I mostly agree with all those points. I don't know, maybe I'm making my point badly. I'm not saying that all sad endings are terrible, just that forced sad endings are. And I'm not saying NITW's ending was all happy, because it clearly wasn't, but it was well executed. NITW's end didn't feel forced at all, it felt like it fit right in to the rest of the story. Maybe I just live with a constant undercurrent of 'capitalism is ruining everything' to the point where having that spotlighted just isn't enough to shock me any more. Like, yeah, their situation sucks, but the fact that they haven't given up entirely is worth something. And for someone struggling with depression or other mental illness, those 'hopey changey feels' really can be the difference between fighting your way to a better life or just giving up, lying down and accepting death. So yeah, maybe it's silly, but I still think the fact that there's a glimmer of hope in there is worth something. Doesn't make it a happy ending, but it's a not-entirely-hopeless ending, and in the current crop of narrative games, that's something.

And it's not nearly as bleak, forced, and heavy-handed as the LiS trolley problem with Chloe and the entire town tied to the two tracks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If anyone's still curious how to get Sera to meet Rachel without needing the bracelet I've found a combination that works (provided you tell Rachel the truth at the end of course):

- You know my name

- Know about what?

- I don't understand

- She deserves to meet you

- Everybody's broken

- I lost my father

- Rachel needs you

- I thought my dad was perfect

- Don't you want to see her?

- Don't leave

The whole sequence is actually kind of the inverse of a standard Backtalk challenge as here it seems that the less confrontational you come off the better she responds. I still don't particularly like this sequence but I understand what they were going for.

Maybe the whole last bit at the mill could have been better if they'd left in some of the cut dialogue from that sequence. They also could have made it a little clearer that the Sera part at the end wasn't a dream.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

Maybe the whole last bit at the mill could have been better if they'd left in some of the cut dialogue from that sequence. They also could have made it a little clearer that the Sera part at the end wasn't a dream.

The entire ending is just a cluster. Between the problem magically being solved off camera, Rachel's complete lack of agency, Frank becoming a literal murder out of nowhere, Sara magically giving up her quest to meet her daughter because of.... reasons, Sara being completely fine after being shot up full of heroin after getting clean for a significant amount of time, and the BS conversation arc that gates the "best" ending. I dont know how you fix that in any way, it needed to be completely rewritten.

e: I forgot the part where Chloe not only commits breaking and entering, while leaving a ton of physical evidence behind right before police show up, but also unearths a ton of evidence that shows the sitting DA conspiring to commit felonies with a person he is actively investigating leading to literally no ramifications whatsoever. That is probably the worst part.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 29, 2018

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

In an effort to find more good narrative-focused games, I tried out the short free game Marie's Room on Steam. My overall reaction is just meh. It gets a lot of comparisons to LiS and Gone Home, two good games, so I had high hopes. But it just didn't work for me. The gameplay is walking around a room, picking things up, and listening to your character narrate her younger life in some way related to the object. Fine so far. But first off, I just didn't find the VA to be all that great. She does a perfectly passable job, but I guess just didn't click with me for some reason? Comes across a bit too much like 'bored mom' for me to really get any emotional impact out of the performance. Also the majority of the story is mostly scene and mood setting, and then tries to hammer in the actual 'what happened' in the last 5%. A bit off-putting in terms of pacing. And the plot, once you've got all of it, seems overly contrived. It goes for a bit of a twist, which also seems weird since you are playing as a character who is recounting her own memories to herself. You can't really have a twist with that setup, unless you're playing someone suddenly breaking through some sort of amnesiac mental block.

Also it uses implied cruelty to an animal in part of the story, and that poo poo should come with a trigger warning as far as I'm concerned. To be fair, that may have colored my view of everything else. But that's just me, I'm assuming most people can more easily get past something that's only a minor plot point and which, after all, is entirely fictional. I'm just weird about that.

Anyway, it's only like an hour or two and it's free, so maybe worth a playthough if you'd like to form your own opinions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

The entire ending is just a cluster. Between the problem magically being solved off camera, Rachel's complete lack of agency, Frank becoming a literal murder out of nowhere, Sara magically giving up her quest to meet her daughter because of.... reasons, Sara being completely fine after being shot up full of heroin after getting clean for a significant amount of time, and the BS conversation arc that gates the "best" ending. I dont know how you fix that in any way, it needed to be completely rewritten.

e: I forgot the part where Chloe not only commits breaking and entering, while leaving a ton of physical evidence behind right before police show up, but also unearths a ton of evidence that shows the sitting DA conspiring to commit felonies with a person he is actively investigating leading to literally no ramifications whatsoever. That is probably the worst part.

True, the whole last section after the hospital is a bit of a clusterfuck and I doubt that a little extra context would have helped much (though I did like the part with Chloe and William). It also doesn't really help that Damon wasn't actually Chloe's antagonist, he was Frank's (and James was technically Rachel's). In fact that whole thing felt more like there was a whole other Frank-related story going on behind the scenes that we weren't really privy to.

It might have been better if Chloe had a more personal enemy like Max did with Jefferson. The closest we get is probably Eliot, who might have worked better if he'd had a bigger role in the story besides: Bland guy likes you, sends you texts constantly, writes creepy poetry about you and is kind of an rear end in a top hat, then suddenly goes psycho at the very end. Hell, counting the final confrontion you only have to interact with him 3 times in the entire game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Related, but as I've said before Max and Jefferson were kind of two sides of the same coin. They're both skilled photographers who are guilty of using their talents to manipulate events/people in their favor and are both obsessed with the concept of innocence (Jefferson wanting to capture the moment it dies through his photography and Max wanting to keep it alive via her powers). The difference is that Jefferson seems to only really care about his own desires while Max, although she can be selfish at times, does actually care about people even if she isn't always the best at showing/acting on it and has enough of a conscience to feel guilty when she screws up.

Rachel and James sort of have similar dynamic in that they're both a bit two-faced, skilled actors/liars, and can't really see past their own nose when it comes to their desires. Though in Rachel's case it's more a survival mechanism and she kind of hates having to behave that way ("Do you think there's a point where you've been acting so much you don't even have your own personality anymore?") and aside from maybe drugging Victoria if you get her (Rachel) booted from the play she isn't really about screwing up the lives of others just for the sake of her own goals.

Chloe doesn't really have a direct mirror like that to be honest. I guess you could make a case for Damon (he's basically everything she pretends to be personified with none of her good qualities to back it up and while Chloe is fiercely loyal to her friends and will sometimes go out of her way to help them even if it puts herself at risk, Damon is only loyal to himself and will pretty much stab anyone in the back the second they piss him off) and maybe Nathan (similar anger/family issues) but neither of them really fit quite as well as the other two do.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 30, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Let's see if I can get this image to post:

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That's from here:

https://twitter.com/morningtheft/status/1002332440076038145?s=21

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Finally finished the prologue.

That was it? I was expecting them to play pirates a little more at least. They dig up the time capsule and then bam, dead dad. I suppose it's fitting enough, but I still can't help but feel it felt rushed.

Orange Sunshine posted:

That was everyone's reaction to the stalker scene with Eliot. "Jesus, get the gently caress out of the way you idiot, I have things to do".

Eliot's entire character was pointless and added nothing to the game.

Sorry to reply to an older post but :same:.

In fact that's how I treated Eliot the whole game. He was just in the way and I didn't have time for that fool. I already knew Rachel Amber was going to be the focus, so why bother with this loser?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 2, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, it was always intended to just be a little bonus thing sort of detached from the main game (it doesn't even record your choices at the end) and because it was just a one-shot thing they couldn't really go that deep in depth with it. I agree it still could have been a bit longer though as it's the shortest LiS episode since Episode 1 of the original. Maybe a side character or two to bounce off of might have worked as well (though at that particular time the only other character Max might have known would have been Eliot).

Still though, it works for what it is (both as a way of bringing things full circle and as a prologue to the entire series). It was nice having Ashly and Hannah back for one more ride (though a majority of the replacement cast were pretty good for a group of non-union actors, many of whom I believe were first-timers) and it also has (in my opinion) one of the best songs in the game (it's basically the BtS equivalent of Spanish Sahara in a sense).

With Vampyr coming out in a few days we should probably be getting some real info regarding Season 2 in another week or two. I look forward to seeing what DontNod has in store but all I'll say is learn from your mistakes and please, for the love of god, take your time on the finale even if it means delaying the release a bit. Hopefully the last two games were a fluke and somewhat disappointing final chapters aren't going to become a regular thing for this series.

skooma512 posted:

Sorry to reply to an older post but :same:.

In fact that's how I treated Eliot the whole game. He was just in the way and I didn't have time for that fool. I already knew Rachel Amber was going to be the focus, so why bother with this loser?

Eliot honestly didn't need to be in the game at all and you lose nothing from his absence. You could have replaced him in the office scene with either someone like Steph or made it a dream sequence where Chloe is confronted by either her dad or some kind of nightmare version of herself making some of the same points about Rachel that Eliot did. Hell, that way might have worked a little better as then it would have been Chloe vocalizing (and subsequently fighting against) her own fears and self-doubt.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 2, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It took a long time, but Callamastia has finally achieved Divinity!

And no, she didn't sacrifice herself or condemn the entire world to ruin in this campaign.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another thing I kind of liked about Farewell was that (as another poster kind of brought up before), it kind of brings things full circle regardless of what ending to the first game you prefer:

For Sacrifice the Bay, the series chronologically begins with two innocent young girls watching some dolls get blown up in their room and ends with two broken young women watching their hometown get wiped out by a tornado.

For Sacrifice Chloe, the first and last episodes of the series both end with one of the two main girls crying over the loss of the other (Chloe alone in her room and Max behind a stall in the Blackwell bathroom) as well as Max attending the funeral of a member of the Price family.

Off the subject, but out of curiosity why did Nathan warrant a character bio in the journal when he was barely in BtS? Victoria had about the same amount of screen time and she didn't get anything.

Speaking of which, it might be nice in the next game if the character profiles actually got updated as you went through the game and learned more about them. Some kind of brief notification for new journal entries like there are for texts would also be helpful as there are times where you kind of get wrapped up in the story and forget to check it after a while.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 4, 2018

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Larryb posted:

Eliot honestly didn't need to be in the game at all and you lose nothing from his absence. You could have replaced him in the office scene with either someone like Steph or made it a dream sequence where Chloe is confronted by either her dad or some kind of nightmare version of herself making some of the same points about Rachel that Eliot did. Hell, that way might have worked a little better as then it would have been Chloe vocalizing (and subsequently fighting against) her own fears and self-doubt.

Eliot was in the game to show us that refusing to leave the past alone will only destroy us in the long run.

In her last diary entry, Chloe tells Max that the time has come to say goodbye because she's realized she can't live in the past anymore. It's worth pointing out that this epiphany comes after she narrowly escaped the clutches of a guy whose pathetically desperate refusal to let go of a dead relationship turned him into a stalker and caused him to ruin his own life.

Joyce said it best: the most beautiful gift you can give somebody is a collection of wonderful memories. What Eliot's meltdown did was permanently tarnish the memories he shared with Chloe. Whenever the thought of him flits across her mind, she's not going to smile with affection and wonder how he's doing. She's going to shudder as a chill runs down her spine and hope that she never sees his face again. He's gone from being the friend she once danced with at that concert to a hulking brute who made her fear for her life in that study.

And that's why Chloe decides she must let go of Max. Because she wants to protect the precious memories they share. Keep them pure and true rather than let bitterness rob them of their value. Like the photographs Max took of the girls, the memories will always be there for Chloe to cherish but for now, she must put them away in the drawer and focus on the here and now.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 4, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

Eliot was in the game to show us that refusing to leave the past alone will only destroy us in the long run.

In her last diary entry, Chloe tells Max that the time has come to say goodbye because she's realized she can't live in the past anymore. It's worth pointing out that this epiphany comes after she narrowly escaped the clutches of a guy whose pathetically desperate refusal to let go of a dead relationship turned him into a stalker and caused him to ruin his own life.

Joyce said it best: the most beautiful gift you can give somebody is a collection of wonderful memories. What Eliot's meltdown did was permanently tarnish the memories he shared with Chloe. Whenever the thought of him flits across her mind, she's not going to smile with affection and wonder how he's doing. She's going to shudder as a chill runs down her spine and hope that she never sees his face again. He's gone from being the friend she once danced with at that concert to a hulking brute who made her fear for her life in that study.

And that's why Chloe decides she must let go of Max. Because she wants to protect the precious memories they share. Keep them pure and true rather than let bitterness rob them of their value. Like the photographs Max took of the girls, the memories will always be there for Chloe to cherish but for now, she must put them away in the drawer and focus on the here and now.

Good point (in fact, for a prequel Chloe actually got a lot more development in BtS than I was expecting, some of which you can still see reflected in her character in the first game upon replaying it). If you think about it, Eliot is pretty much the only person Chloe was sort of friends with that actually managed to break her trust, and that's saying something considering she forgave Max for ghosting on her for 5 years (though to be fair, she never fully gave up on her. As evidenced by the fact that during her meltdown in the junkyard she never once says "gently caress Max", substituting the word "cameras" instead) and Rachel for seeing Frank behind her back. She even still cares about her mom despite Joyce letting her down in a big way and enabling David's behavior. Though even so, she still admits to feeling a little sorry for Eliot in the journal entry afterwards. While she does get angry (and at times rightfully so), Chloe is a very forgiving person and it apparently takes quite a lot to get on her bad side.

In other news, the first game is getting ported to Android this July. It still would be nice to get a Switch release at some point but I'm not holding my breath. I'd still like a Remastered version one day though, even if the only change was updated character models that could actually emote properly (some bug fixes would be nice too such as the part where Max suddenly becomes telepathic for a bit when talking to Warren in Episode 5).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 4, 2018

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
Is anyone picking up Vampyr? From the reviews out there, it sounds like classic DONTNOD. Cool ideas and clumsy execution with an "eh" ending. Greenman Gaming has a 25% off PC Games coupon for June, so I'm a little tempted.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Forgot that was releasing today. Eh well, I'll grab it tomorrow. Reviews look mostly positive, and that's probably good enough to justify giving them cash to keep the lights on and make more LiS games.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Kinda forgot about this game. I really liked the first 80% or so of LiS and hated the trolley problem "the best result for everyone is if you had never done anything at all" ending. How does BtS compare?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Kinda forgot about this game. I really liked the first 80% or so of LiS and hated the trolley problem "the best result for everyone is if you had never done anything at all" ending. How does BtS compare?

It's a much more personal, self-contained story that enhances the experience of the original and feels more like your choices actually matter (right down to certain scenes during the final ending changing depending on what you did during the rest of the game), a lot of the more annoying puzzle aspects of the first game have also been excised (though to compensate for the lack of a Rewind it does feel like the game holds your hand a bit too much at times).There's still a bit of supernatural elements here and there but it's severely downplayed. Outside of a bonus episode none of the cast returns to reprise their roles but the new one does a pretty good job (some more than others). Finally, Chloe is just a much more interesting protagonist than Max is in my opinion (in fact I kind of hope the star of LiS 2 is kind of a fusion of both in a sense, interesting enough so as not to be upstaged by a majority of the cast but also enough of a blank slate for the player to imprint on).

The game does have some problems though such as the Backtalk mechanic being ultimately pointless (though still fun in my opinion). It also feels a bit more barren than the first one with smaller environments and fewer NPCs to interact with. Also, like the first game, it kind of falls apart a bit in the final act (albeit in a different way). Unlike the first game, there's only one real ending to BtS and all the final choice at the end does is alter the first two scenes of it (plus another one towards the end provided you did something extra beforehand). Despite that, it's a good game and I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 5, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Zerilan posted:

TLDR: The overall story is pretty weak (especially the villain) but the personal stuff between Chloe and Rachel are leagues above the first game

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
BTS just downloaded 1.2 GB for some reason. There's no patch notes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Looking it up, it was mostly so they could add in the Japanese Language Pack as BtS will be released over there as of tomorrow. It means nothing for the existing English version though (Square apparently can't offer both voice tracks to players due to contractual reasons).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 7, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

skooma512 posted:

They added a secret "alternate reality" ending where Chloe and Rachel escape to California

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While we wait for Season 2 (which I'm assuming will finally be unveiled by Monday no matter what conference it winds up getting shown at) I'm considering trying out some of Dontnod's other titles in the mean time. Are Remember Me and/or Vampyr any good?

As for the next game itself, just because we're moving to a new cast and setting doesn't necessarily mean there won't be any story connection to the original but at this point I'd be fine either way. At best we're probably gonna see Hawt Dawg Man again and most likely a few easter eggs here and there (I'm kind of curious if BtS is going to get acknowledged at all though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 7, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Remember Me is heavily flawed but the story's concept is neat, the city and designs are great, and the fighting is pretty unique. I've beaten it twice so there's something to enjoy IMHO.

When I replayed the game after playing LiS I noticed a lot of similarities between the games' character designs which was kind of funny. Apparently Victoria's grandkid is destined to become a bounty hunter :lol:

https://goo.gl/images/9qqHNh

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 7, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

I'm considering trying out some of Dontnod's other titles in the mean time. Are Remember Me and/or Vampyr any good?

I think Vampyr is really bad. Awful AWFUL dialogue, like worse than Detroit awful. Bad controls, unfun combat, SLOW as gently caress boring conversations. The UI feels like a mess to me.

For the life of me I can't understand the praise I'm seeing of Vampyr.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I think Vampyr is really bad. Awful AWFUL dialogue, like worse than Detroit awful. Bad controls, unfun combat, SLOW as gently caress boring conversations. The UI feels like a mess to me.

stuff seems pretty middling in terms of response. I dunno if ive seen anything that constitutes "praise" it mostly just seems like people are saying "eh its ok"

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Macaluso posted:

You could say pretty much the same things about Remember Me. Either you like the jank or you don't. I love Remember Me despite...no, because of its corny dialogue and gimmicky, repetitive combat. I even enjoy what I've seen of Detroit.

I like getting to know the characters and finding out their secrets through long dialogue trees and then slapping dudes silly with a saw. Hearing someone say "WHAT IS GLASS BUT TORTURED SAND" is DONTNOD as heck. But if peak DONTNOD is too much for you, the dialogue is passable for the most part.

I picked it up on Greenman Gaming and I'd say it's worth about 38 bucks. Full price is perhaps a little much.

Renoistic posted:

Apparently Victoria's grandkid is destined to become a bounty hunter :lol:

https://goo.gl/images/9qqHNh

:eyepop:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As far as I can tell, Life is Strange seems to remain Dontnod's only widely successful project so far and even that has its share of problems. But then again the company has only really made 3 games so far so there's still a chance for improvement.

Apart from LiS 2 they apparently have at least two more unannounced titles in the works so we'll just have to see where things go from here.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I've enjoyed the couple of hours I've tried of Vampyr so far. Yeah, the combat is barebones and janky, but having lots of interesting characters to talk to and the dark dreary Victorian London setting is more than enough to make up for it. Getting a lot of the same kind of vibes I got from Remember Me, groaning at the combat and wanting to shove past it to get to enjoy the next bit of well-crafted scenery or plot point.

I hope dontnod realizes that they're just bad at combat and stops trying to make games with it. Or hires on some new people who know how to make it interesting, or farms that part out to another studio if they feel they need to keep shoving it into their games. But I'd be happy if they just scrapped it and stuck to making engrossing stories full of intricately detailed characters, which is clearly their strong suit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From what I've heard about Remember Me and Vampyr they're also not that great at ending their games, which I also hope starts to improve as we go forward as after the original and BtS I'm honestly more worried about the final episode of LiS 2 at this point than I am about the rest of the game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 7, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

but having lots of interesting characters to talk to

:confused: ????? :what: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think the thing that is most baffling to me is all the youtubers/steamers that I watch, that complained about how the characters talked in Life is Strange, have zero problems with how the characters talk in Vampyr. I don't get it. I DON'T GET IT :negative:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

:confused: ????? :what: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think the thing that is most baffling to me is all the youtubers/steamers that I watch, that complained about how the characters talked in Life is Strange, have zero problems with how the characters talk in Vampyr. I don't get it. I DON'T GET IT :negative:

Maybe they're just used to it by now. To be fair, only a few of the characters really talked that way in LiS. Plus, Chloe and Max were both massive dorks at heart so that kind of dialogue sort of fits for them at least. I still kind of find it hilarious when Max swears though as her voice and character isn't really suited for it (also, from what I've seen of her outside the game Hannah Telle was basically playing herself here).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 8, 2018

• Locked thread