Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What the hell happens next?
This poll is closed.
They literally set fire to the ring by accident 2 2.22%
They literally set fire to the ring on purpose 6 6.67%
Film 6 months of content accidentally using WWE prop belts 6 6.67%
Rehire Jeff Jarrett 23 25.56%
Start splicing in archival footage of AJ Styles and pretending it's current 23 25.56%
Accidentally switch the live Pop TV feed to the WWE Network 6 6.67%
Lose the keys to the production truck, film 6 months of content in the parking lot with a Samsung 7 7.78%
Sue a fan who flips the bird on air, lose all company rights to said fan 13 14.44%
Somehow everything gets good and they start making money (Comedy Option) 4 4.44%
Total: 90 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rovert posted:

Non-exclusive pay per appearance deals is what they offer these days.

WWE, WWN and MLW seem to be no goes I think. Maybe ROH too but Austin Aries seemingly said gently caress it and went anyway.

Oh drat, guess that'll work for Joe then.

I still maintain they should make him top face (I'm assuming Penta won't stick around).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TerryBrunk/status/1000883117790445568

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oh gently caress he deleted it

Did anyone screen cap it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Oh gently caress he deleted it

Did anyone screen cap it?
Luckily it was still in the Google cache:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That sounds incredibly TNA.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao that is 100% TNA

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JerryJarrett/status/1001083221097025536

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao a loving 'illegal syndicate'

you were dodging taxes or some poo poo, don't act like you were a goddamned criminal empire, jerry

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

lmao a loving 'illegal syndicate'

you were dodging taxes or some poo poo, don't act like you were a goddamned criminal empire, jerry

it was an antitrust investigation

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

it was an antitrust investigation

yep http://concussioninc.net/?p=12170

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean the NWA was basically a weird sort of mafia.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NWA tried to work the government and for probably the last time in US history, came down hard on rich white dudes.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I don't typically care about Impact but they're recording TV less than an hour drive away from me this week. Should I grab tickets or is it not worth it? I would have to deal with crossing the border for the shows.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vaguido posted:

I don't typically care about Impact but they're recording TV less than an hour drive away from me this week. Should I grab tickets or is it not worth it? I would have to deal with crossing the border for the shows.

I'm sure they'll paper it because they always paper, but having to deal with a border crossing to see mediocre-at-very-best wrestling sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The Kins posted:

Luckily it was still in the Google cache:

he got what he deserved

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DJExile posted:

I'm sure they'll paper it because they always paper, but having to deal with a border crossing to see mediocre-at-very-best wrestling sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

actually it might be a good time

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vaguido posted:

Is this the taping at Santino's gym in Mississauga? That's maybe 20 minutes from me and that's still too much effort.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is this the taping at Santino's gym in Mississauga? That's maybe 20 minutes from me and that's still too much effort.

St. Claire College in Windsor

Edit: I'm also only really thinking of it because Joe Hendry signed. Does anyone know if he's going to be at the Canada TV tapings?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I had no idea who Joe Hendry was so I dug up a WCPW title match against Jack Swagger.

It was not good. Plodding 2010 era WWE style match that never really got out of 1st gear and other than some desperate submission escapes, no real drama.

Joe won with what the announcers optimistically called a double Hendry Lock. It looked like a really lovely boston crab. Swagger tapped from embarrassment.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

I had no idea who Joe Hendry was so I dug up a WCPW title match against Jack Swagger.

It was not good. Plodding 2010 era WWE style match that never really got out of 1st gear and other than some desperate submission escapes, no real drama.

Joe won with what the announcers optimistically called a double Hendry Lock. It looked like a really lovely boston crab. Swagger tapped from embarrassment.

That's the worst Hendry work I've ever seen. He's usually significantly better. He's NOT great in ring but he's at least okay, has a great look, and is charismatic as gently caress.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The combo ankle lock/single leg crab he seems to use now is much better than that finish was.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vaguido posted:

St. Claire College in Windsor

Edit: I'm also only really thinking of it because Joe Hendry signed. Does anyone know if he's going to be at the Canada TV tapings?

On second thought this might be okay, especially if you get in for free or incredibly cheap, which you should since it's TNA

https://twitter.com/bcwonline/status/1001533536770445313?s=19

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Impact vs Integrity is surprisingly self aware of them.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh and btw the deal with the Hendry Lock is he stole it from Kurt after they feuded (Hendry ultimately went over IIRC but lost the first encounter which led to the heel turn.. I think?) so it's just a renamed ankle lock but for some loving reason he decided to do a double ankle lock to finish Swagger which is a dumb idea that was never going to look good.

Joe is also only 30 (gently caress, he's younger than me aaaa [albeit only by 6 months or so]) so he definitely is like, just entering his prime and AFAIK he got a lot better in ring the past couple years to the point that he was completely viable as a top indy guy all factors considered, no matter how low level the indy, and he continues to get booked by higher level promotions as well. He challenged for the ROH TV Title last week according to Wikipedia! Though I probably shouldn't speak with too much authority as I haven't seen him wrestle a ton.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 31, 2018

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
I saw him live, he was simple but pretty good. He does have the strongest BO of any person Ive ever met in recent memory. Fans from the back were starting BO chants.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FunMerrania posted:

I saw him live, he was simple but pretty good. He does have the strongest BO of any person Ive ever met in recent memory. Fans from the back were starting BO chants.

Hahaha you're loving kidding. That blows my mind.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I don't understand what the end game is for Impact. They're not going to draw even if a few big WWE stars decided to jump ship all the sudden and they're most likely still losing money right? There is no positive result ahead for the company just endless water treading. Just... why? Why move forward pretending to be a real company that will go somewhere some day?

It's amazing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TNA has same problem that NWA and GFW does, the other companies have crowded them out. There just isn't enough places in North America that live wrestling doesn't reach once a month. Like the NWA, its smart to run as a feature on someone else's show. Let someone else run a building at a loss for once.

The bulk TV tapings are a good idea as well, but they really need it so its like a convention or a fanfest. Make it a big deal for fans to get out to the tapings.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Callis should try and weasel away ROH's deal with New Japan. Get Jericho to come into Impact as a favor and use that as leverage.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Jericho is far too smart to get within a mile of an Impact taping.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Julio Cruz posted:

Jericho is far too smart to get within a mile of an Impact taping.

Especially since he basically can show up to raw and be like "I wanna work for three montha"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Especially since he basically can show up to raw and be like "I wanna work for three montha"

Yeah, WWE brass may claim they don't care about Impact but Jericho popping up there would probably be the end of his sweet part-time WWE deal.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Impact exists to create content for Anthem's Fight Network. Problem is, they made a number of mistakes along the way (the TNA curse). They stretched financially to make the initial purchase which hampered their ability to make investments and pretty much killed any growth opportunity right from the get go. They don't have the infrastructure or the demand to run regular shows on their own so they can't get live show revenue.

At this point they should get as many good (and cheap) freelancers/AAA/NOAH folks as they can to fill out their roster for tapings and just basically be a super indie. Losing the Lucha Bros to CMLL is a blow but theres a ton of great lucha talent out there they can book to fill out the mid card. Flamita, Bandito, Sammy Guevara, Horus, Hijo De Fantasma, Psycho Clown, etc.

If I were Callis and D'Amore I'd try to get a deal with the big regional Indies to co promote shows and get some TV exposure for their main guys. Take GCW for example, maybe you could do a deal with them run some of your guys on their shows and get Janela and Gage on TV. Work something out to get a slice of the live revenue if you cover your guys booking fees. At this point I don't know if they have any other options for long term success.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Jenkem Delivery posted:

If I were Callis and D'Amore I'd try to get a deal with the big regional Indies to co promote shows and get some TV exposure for their main guys. Take GCW for example, maybe you could do a deal with them run some of your guys on their shows and get Janela and Gage on TV. Work something out to get a slice of the live revenue if you cover your guys booking fees. At this point I don't know if they have any other options for long term success.

They do something like this. They air footage of their guys at those indies. I was at a taping featuring Sami Callahan vs Randy Meyers when they filmed at DEFY in Seattle. They also had Austin Aries come in and take the main title. He's yet to return, and if that match hadn't been really drat good I'd be rather upset about the champion not being around at all.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

FunMerrania posted:

next level heeling

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

I really liked that Allie vs Su Yung casket match for the title. Good stuff.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Several other accounts state the same thing. Follows the same exit pattern as other wrestlers. Anthem isn't a very sentimental company. For example, they cancelled the LAW radio show after a show and didn't allow the hosts to say goodbye to their audience. The show ran for like nearly 20 years.

https://twitter.com/Always_jorge/status/1003118845329137669

https://twitter.com/Always_jorge/status/1003121051545501696

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:siren:AIN'T HE loving GREAT:siren:
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1003475686462578689

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aaahahaha I love wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000