Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

A Typical Goon posted:

Why do you think the 5 years was in there

Just lol if you don't think the government five years from now will be like, "we got voted in! The system works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Typo posted:

imagine a system in which trillium gets to hold everything hostage unless w/e weird soCon agenda they want gets passed because they are basically the 7% of parliament which the government needs to pass anything

Or maybe two major parties will have to, and I know this is completely hosed up and unbelievable, cooperate and compromise with each other.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Typo posted:

imagine a system in which trillium gets to hold everything hostage unless w/e weird soCon agenda they want gets passed because they are basically the 7% of parliament which the government needs to pass anything

Imagine still repeating this bullshit after Harper got a majority on 38% of the popular vote
Imagine still repeating this bullshit after the british tories basically had to resort to using the northern irish far right to keep their majority in parliament.

Wow I'm truly scared about 7% of the seats going to socons, what a truly outlandish scenario in FPTP, I'm sure the problem is that and not the sheer willingness of the right to work with the far right if their power is meaningfully threatened..

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 1, 2018

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Canadians might just be too stupid to handle PR. Yes I'm still annoyed at the BC STV referendum result.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Agnosticnixie posted:

Imagine still repeating this bullshit after Harper got a majority on 38% of the popular vote
Imagine still repeating this bullshit after the british tories basically had to resort to using the northern irish far right to keep their majority in parliament.

Wow I'm truly scared about 7% of the seats going to socons, what a truly outlandish scenario in FPTP, I'm sure the problem is that and not the sheer willingness of the right to work with the far right if their power is meaningfully threatened..

(It's all the same bullshit)

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like trillium as a party will lsat exactly as long as it takes for the tories to put 40 knives in Ford's back and then we're back to a scenario where the people who run trillium can again have a chance of having a parliamentary majority backing them.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

[...]
It all sounds persuasive enough onstage in London, but the next night in Windsor there is a discordant note from Ford. Donald Trump has just announced punishing tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum.

“Terrible news,” the PC leader muses onstage. But then his public response to the threat takes a jarring turn.

“Make no mistake about it, we’re going to go after them full tilt — on reducing our taxes, making ourselves more competitive.”

Wait — Ford is staring down Trump’s higher tariffs by talking up lower taxes? And where does he go from here?

“We will go down to the street at the border and put up that big sign I’ve been talking about and tell our neighbour, ‘Ontario is open for business.’”

This is how Ontario’s putative premier would confront the U.S. president’s tariff attack? Perhaps this is what makes Ford so surprisingly terrifying.

It’s not the buffoonery, the vulgarity, the chicanery, the questions about character and trust and temperament. No, what is most daunting about the man is that he is so overflowing with confidence yet so lacking in competence.
[...]

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/06/01/doug-ford-is-winning-on-the-promise-to-shake-things-up.html

Uhhh..... ok, Doug? Sure, man?

I've come to terms that you're going to become my Premier next week but what the hell?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/06/01/doug-ford-is-winning-on-the-promise-to-shake-things-up.html

I've come to terms that you're going to become my Premier next week but what the hell?

What do you think the premier of Ontario should do about it?

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 2, 2018

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wirth1000 posted:

Yeah, people used to say he was the brains behind Rob Ford.

It turns out Rob was the brains. Chew on that one for a minute then have a sensible chuckle at how we're gonna do in Ontario for the next four years.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Reince Penis posted:

how we're gonna do in Ontario for the next four years.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Agnosticnixie posted:

I'll never stop being completely amazed that bullshit on the level of letters to the editor by "Concerned in Barrie" actually convince people

Stop blaming Barrie for this poo poo. All we did was give the world Stockwell Day.

And Patrick Brown.

OK never mind, blame away.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
A blustery incompetent fool is preferable to somebody capable and intelligent leading the Tories.

My concern is that even by the low standards of Canadian politics this year's crop of Tory candidates seem egregiously corrupt and eager to sell out.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Mad Hamish posted:

Hey, so I just got a text from what I assume is a Conservative organization based on the name:

I am assuming from what I've read that this is some organization out to raise awareness for white supremacists the "Progressive" Conservatives, should I reply furiously telling them to go poo poo themselves?

They text everyone and fish for replies for active numbers and affiliation to dump in to their database. Never respond to spam.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

this year's crop of Tory candidates seem egregiously corrupt and eager to sell out.

Hell yeah. There are two wings to the OPC as I see it, the corrupt and the social conservative true believers. Doug Ford is not the strong leader that can hold these factions together.

A conservative government is going to be a complete mess. Here's hoping for a minority government, if only so I can hear Doug accuse the NDP of hating minorities.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

vyelkin posted:

CanPol Megathread: Do Timber & Lumber in U.S.?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

My concern is that even by the low standards of Canadian politics this year's crop of Tory candidates seem egregiously corrupt and eager to sell out.
Not only that, but this year the Tories really are just finding whatever photo-friendly ethnic candidates they can find and shoving it on our faces so they can look "not racist". It is so superficial and cringey. And a lot of these candidates are pretty sketchy with no linkages to the local ethnic communities that they're claiming to represent and just opportunistic shills. Even Dougie's Twitter profile photo is just him posing with this black lady... I don't even know who she is, but he's kinda just wearing her like jewelry in this photo. And I still remember Meredith Cartwright (that candidate who got caught hiring actors to cheer for Ford during one of the debates)'s ridiculous Twitter cover image (before she deleted her account), where she just yanked a bunch of Indian guys to stand in the photo with her:

Every photo and press release they seem to dragged ethnic people into the shot and yelled, "GET A PHOTO OF ME WITH THE COLOUREDS". I'm ethnic and kinda wish they'd stop using ethnic people as window dressing for their photo-ops. I know that it happens more during elections with all parties, but now this poo poo's getting obvious. It reminds me of those photos that I'd see with Tea Party Conservatives posing with random black people at rallies holding signs that say, "SEE? NOT RACIST."

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 2, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't think Kathleen is going to Wynne this one :laugh:

https://twitter.com/Tom_Parkin_/status/1002625165975539713

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Hey city people, what subculture do you call Horwath's son? I am way out of touch with kids these days.

Anyone who raises a kid like that is unironically unfit to hold public office.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

He seems pretty cool actually. What's Doug Ford's family like?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

THC posted:

He seems pretty cool actually. What's Doug Ford's family like?

Doug Ford is obviously unfit to hold public office as well, so don’t take this as an endorsement.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't know what the issue is. He's a productive artist, active in the community, good relationship with his mom, and by all accounts a kind and caring person.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
don't you understand he looks wierrrrrrd I am a very important adult and also

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Conservatives are probably jealous because all their kids either despise them or they're these cripplingly uncool brainwashed lackeys with crewcuts

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 2, 2018

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

blah_blah posted:

Anyone who raises a kid like that is unironically unfit to hold public office.

Why do our politicians have kids with tattoos? :qq: Is nothing sacred?! :qq:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Yeah her kid looks like a complete loving loser. Dunno what the deal is with certain cliques apparently trying to look as bad as possible. Fat, creepy tattoos, dumb hair, cheek piercings.
I'd 100% mark him as a "live with Mom and Dad and spend all of my part time cart pushing money on my sweet tats instead of paying rent" type.

Glad to hear that's not the case but just lol if you aren't feeling some second hand embarrassment looking at that "ALONE" tat. Christ.

I'm saying this as a 29 year old progressive who's the only person in his social circle without multiple tattoos. I can only imagine what boomers and older must think of him.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Now Jonny Unitas, there's a haircut you could set your watch to.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mel Lastman 4 mayor!

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

THC posted:

I don't think Kathleen is going to Wynne this one :laugh:

https://twitter.com/Tom_Parkin_/status/1002625165975539713

New plan!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Why isn't Mel running for premier?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like how it has more laugh reacts than likes.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

getting a lot of facebook ads for wynne lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What is that graphic supposed to convey? The party rectangles.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

What is that graphic supposed to convey? The party rectangles.

They're trying to convince PC voters to switch to the Liberals as a way to stop the NDP. They're showing that the Liberals and PCs are splitting the right-wing vote allowing the NDP to sneak in with a plurality lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh! So they’re just making things up.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
It's about time the OLP stopped pretending they're a progressive party.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In rural Ontario the overriding mood is anger.

Continue to suck and blame everyone for your problems Renfrew county. At least yakabuski is a decent guy as far as PC mpps go.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Subjunctive posted:

Oh! So they’re just making things up.

Nope, that'd be accurate in lots of Toronto ridings if it's 2014 results. That ad seems terrible though because you're also advertising that NDP are the best bet to beat Doug Ford. The Liberal advertising engine has really poo poo the bed this cycle spectacularly in a way that I'm excited to check every day to see how they've made it worse.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

im convinced the internal liberal organizers secretly hate wynne and want the ndp to win

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I swear there was a big push internally to try and get Wynne to step down?

Honestly, I've been trying to figure out who the bigger egomaniac is: Wynne or Doug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Arrogance or incompetence?

Which is which in the case of those two clowns.