Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I think I've hit my endgame, Varmilo VA68M with magnesium body, Godspeed caps and Brown switches (realistically, someday I'm going to get another keyboard with weird tactile switches because of this last part, but hey):

The backslash key being white bothers me a little bit, but there's not really a good alternative to slot in there. I'm also not sure about the cluster of red in the top right - specifically, thinking about swapping the red 'PANIC' and yellow 'ABORT' keys, but those are real minor things. Also somewhat debating getting a color-coordinated cord for it, but I think that can wait.

Overall, super happy with it though, worth the ~8 month wait for the keys.

e: Not aluminum...

foutre fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

foutre posted:

I think I've hit my endgame, Varmilo VA68M with aluminum body, Godspeed caps and Brown switches (realistically, someday I'm going to get another keyboard with weird tactile switches because of this last part, but hey):

The backslash key being white bothers me a little bit, but there's not really a good alternative to slot in there. I'm also not sure about the cluster of red in the top right - specifically, thinking about swapping the red 'PANIC' and yellow 'ABORT' keys, but those are real minor things. Also somewhat debating getting a color-coordinated cord for it, but I think that can wait.

You know there is a VA68m with a magnesium body....

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Small keyboards best keyboards, how are you enjoying the experience?

Let’s just say I want to get a second one to use at work.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

You know there is a VA68m with a magnesium body....

Oh, that's actually what I have, yup. Whoops....

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

foutre posted:

I think I've hit my endgame, Varmilo VA68M with magnesium body, Godspeed caps and Brown switches (realistically, someday I'm going to get another keyboard with weird tactile switches because of this last part, but hey):

Looks good, you can probably check out mechmarket in case someone has an extra symm kit.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

What's a good rubber dome keyboard? The recommendations in the op don't seem to be produced anymore?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Will have to tide me over till my alt arrives. Wanted to get used to 67/68 key lifestyle

Magicforce 68 /w amazon pbt key set

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

foutre posted:

I have the same keys but on a pok3r and I’m not too happy with them. I like both the texture as sculpture of the default pok3r caps better.

I love the looks but I’m really thinking about selling them...

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Pumprag posted:

What's a good rubber dome keyboard? The recommendations in the op don't seem to be produced anymore?

Everyone is going to laugh at me, but...

Logitech K120

Serious answer: Olivetti ANK-27 (I grew up with it)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

sensy v2.0 posted:

I just switched from a Logitech G810 to a Vortex Vibe because I wanted more desk space and really couldn't make the jump to live without a number pad OR the navigation keys. This pretty much fills my needs perfectly.

Oof. I didn't know this is existed and now I want it.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Pumprag posted:

If you're sick and twisted like me and enjoy a good scissor-switch keyboard, I can recommend this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Kensington-Slim-Wired-Keyboard-K72357USA/dp/B00426HI8U

I use that at home until I can find a satisfactory mechkeeb replacement. It's quiet and has a pretty good tactile feedback for a rubber membrane board.

Darth blob
Nov 12, 2011

puts the "ass" in classy

Pumprag posted:

The best Rubber somehow, Leopold fc600c , hhkb pro 2, realforce 87u (I think) l, they have a full 10 key RGB keyboard but you'll probably need to replace the keywords and lounge it but it's has different actuation points, and had Mx part so you can customize it. But expensive

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have a FC660C that I broke the USB port on. Broke off internally. I'm so bummed.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
drat. Surely someone in the community can fix that?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

I have the same keys but on a pok3r and I’m not too happy with them. I like both the texture as sculpture of the default pok3r caps better.

I love the looks but I’m really thinking about selling them...

At least you can hopefully recoup a good bit of the cost! I had trouble getting used to the shape/texture for a day or two but at this point I'm a fan. It does seem like keycap shapes/textures can be pretty specific, maybe that's the next iteration of switch testers.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

Wasabi the J posted:

I have a FC660C that I broke the USB port on. Broke off internally. I'm so bummed.

You could buy Hasu‘s Alt Controller as a replacement.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
More Vibe love. About a year into mine and it's the best.

Darth blob
Nov 12, 2011

puts the "ass" in classy

Wasabi the J posted:

Sucks duder; opening the fc60c is pretty eqsi, don't know about replacing the usb; but if you can't find a guide I'll see if I can do that on my own: and then film it. Finding a replacement, that'll be on you

Don't know if it's a standard micro usb port but assume it is

Mmmm... I wonder if you can replace a micro usb with a USB c

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I like the floating design of the Vibe, but if I went for a full-size I'd want some distance between the alphas and the navcluster/tenkey. I often locate keys by feeling for the edge of the key group. Having to look away from the screen every time I backspace or move to the cursor keys sucks. Just .5cm of separation from the alphas would take that from zero to hero.

Not that I have the money to drop on a new kb right now anyway, so perhaps it's for the best. :)

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Darth blob posted:

Sucks duder; opening the fc60c is pretty eqsi, don't know about replacing the usb; but if you can't find a guide I'll see if I can do that on my own: and then film it. Finding a replacement, that'll be on you

Don't know if it's a standard micro usb port but assume it is

Mmmm... I wonder if you can replace a micro usb with a USB c

Mini-USB actually. Here's a pile of them https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Replacement-Female-Charger-Connector/dp/B00EZBERZ4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah it's mini b and I miss that board, but I loathe mini b.

Hell I'd take old school full-size type b because then the fucker won't work loose every time I move the board around on my desk.

I could totally send the board in for repair but I have zero loving clue what to look for.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Buy a hot air rework station off amazon and a matching connector on ebay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxxpLYf16fc

Darth blob
Nov 12, 2011

puts the "ass" in classy

I wonder if I can replace it with a USB C. Would it work?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Clueboard 2x1800

Box Jades, Box Royals, Box Navy on space, SA Miami Night and SA Miami keysets, Brass plate

and too much loving time and money

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nondescript Van posted:

Clueboard 2x1800

Box Jades, Box Royals, Box Navy on space, SA Miami Night and SA Miami keysets, Brass plate

That looks rad as hell.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Nondescript Van posted:

Clueboard 2x1800

:bisonyes:

Darth blob posted:

I wonder if I can replace it with a USB C. Would it work?

I would think not, but here's a thread I found on the topic: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3041062/replace-mini-usb-usb-keyboard.html

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 31, 2018

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does one hand go on each number pad?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

Gotta math fast.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

pgroce posted:

I like the floating design of the Vibe, but if I went for a full-size I'd want some distance between the alphas and the navcluster/tenkey. I often locate keys by feeling for the edge of the key group. Having to look away from the screen every time I backspace or move to the cursor keys sucks. Just .5cm of separation from the alphas would take that from zero to hero.

This shows it a bit better, but there is a teeny amount of space next to the tenkey.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

We're here living in 2018, they're living in 2058

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

mewse posted:

We're here living in 2018, they're living in 2058

I thought this was a joke about punching in the wrong year with the left hand and then I noticed that the left numpad has the 7 and the 8 swapped :psyduck:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Icept posted:

I thought this was a joke about punching in the wrong year with the left hand and then I noticed that the left numpad has the 7 and the 8 swapped :psyduck:

Our puny minds can't comprehend this future

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
You're just not on my level (of putting keys in the wrong spot)

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I personally would've mirrored the layout of the numspad

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Back on rubber dome chat, boards with oetemu browns or blues have gotten reliably down into the not much more money than a decent rubber dome range ($~40) and are way better than rubber domes.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Another run of Canvas XDA is imminent.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-canvas-xda-custom-keycap-set

Includes some extra sets in purple - I think I'll pass on that.

I should hope most of the production woes from the first round have been ironed out so it shouldn't take 12 months and make me fear for my mortality this time, etc.

The XDA profile is flat and slim - I've found it a really nice match for the WASD keyboard (which I found a little bulky with DSA caps).

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Not a fan of XDA at the moment, really. The PBT is thinner than SA DSA and the dye-sub job is a little blurry compared to DSA. Also feels too flat compared to DSA too. It's got DSA beat on price though.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

foutre posted:

At least you can hopefully recoup a good bit of the cost! I had trouble getting used to the shape/texture for a day or two but at this point I'm a fan. It does seem like keycap shapes/textures can be pretty specific, maybe that's the next iteration of switch testers.

I can probably get rid of them at cost on r/mechmarket. I frigging love the looks of them which is the only reason why I’m keeping them.

I’ve used them on my daily driver for a few months now so I doubt I’ll ever get used to XDA. Maybe I should just put them up for sale.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I'm planning to give my wife my Masterkeys L with brown switches because she's getting a new PC and she really likes the RGB lighting, whereas I'm pretty indifferent to that. So that leaves me paralyzed trying to figure out what to get next. I'm 100% sure I love the brown feel, but would like a more distinct tactile bump, so I'm going with clears like you guys often recommend.

I'm looking at the WASD line as a possible replacement. Seems like the CODE would be nice with PBT caps, white backlight. But their V2 seems really well built. I'm wondering if the V2 is better. Another Masterkeys is also on the table as that board is really great, and in clears it would be excellent. Just wondering if there are other more obviously better boards out there in that sort of $150-200 price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Quick look, might actually be affordable for my Race3