Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Lip service in that they settled on a high enough cap that a lot of veterans can't use it and chances are if you stay in for six years, you're either and officer or a lifer.

Oh yeah, I remember that discussion. Well, at least it's a nice benefit if you're eligible v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Whoops Didn't think the griffin was retasked to be a bomber.

MRChuck Norris
Mar 1, 2018
Well....hello.

Has anyone here OTed more then once? Under normal conditions. Not medical or anything.

MRChuck Norris fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 10, 2018

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

MRChuck Norris posted:

Well....hello.

Has anyone here OTed more then once? Under normal conditions. Not medical or anything.
If no one comes forward, I know a few dudes like that where I am now. If you give me questions I can ask them.

MRChuck Norris
Mar 1, 2018

Dantes posted:

If no one comes forward, I know a few dudes like that where I am now. If you give me questions I can ask them.

Ah thanks! Mainly curious if the process was any different or if the CoC/BPSO gave them poo poo for it or if it was just as simple as the first time. Also if they regret it haha.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

MRChuck Norris posted:

Ah thanks! Mainly curious if the process was any different or if the CoC/BPSO gave them poo poo for it or if it was just as simple as the first time. Also if they regret it haha.

I'd say regret stems directly from whatever trade you end up in?

I know one dude that went from infantry, to eo, to MP officer - but he's a massive dickbag so that last job kinda suits him? He seems happy enough.

A lot of infanteers that end up EO stay there (it's a ludicrously easy trade, let's be honest)

I don't imagine it's overly difficult to keep swapping so long as the trade you're escaping isn't deep in the red, and the one you want to apply for is seeking fresh meat. I'm tempted by this new cyber-ops thing but I'd lose spec for probably a few years doing it.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

DarkDobe posted:

I know one dude that went from infantry, to eo, to MP officer - but he's a massive dickbag so that last job kinda suits him? He seems happy enough.

A lot of infanteers that end up EO stay there (it's a ludicrously easy trade, let's be honest)

I don't imagine it's overly difficult to keep swapping so long as the trade you're escaping isn't deep in the red, and the one you want to apply for is seeking fresh meat. I'm tempted by this new cyber-ops thing but I'd lose spec for probably a few years doing it.

be quiet

MRChuck Norris
Mar 1, 2018

DarkDobe posted:

Yeah that cyber op trade is the reason i am considering this. Would be nice to get into something like that. Not sure how its going to pan out but i bet there is some potential in it to be something great for when my sentence is up haha.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

MRChuck Norris posted:

Yeah that cyber op trade is the reason i am considering this. Would be nice to get into something like that. Not sure how its going to pan out but i bet there is some potential in it to be something great for when my sentence is up haha.

Speaking out of my rear end, but I am sure for new trade creations I think they would be more lenient anyways?

I mean, I would be.

MRChuck Norris
Mar 1, 2018

Hizawk posted:

Speaking out of my rear end, but I am sure for new trade creations I think they would be more lenient anyways?

I mean, I would be.

That would make perfect sense. So i bet its way more difficult haha.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing

MRChuck Norris posted:

That would make perfect sense. So i bet its way more difficult haha.

haha

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003

MRChuck Norris posted:

I had a chat with two guys regarding the topic you asked. One is 20+ yrs in and switched 3 times while the other is 30ish and 4.

They both told me they never sensed any resentment from their chain. The most important point was to get them on board. One said the last time he remustered he had to mentor the BPSO at the same time as she was new and that was "a lot of fun" so it help if you take the time to learn the policies before you start to make your move to avoid losing all sense of agency in the process.

None had any horror stories to tell about the process, even after a few drinks in.

MRChuck Norris
Mar 1, 2018

Dantes posted:

I had a chat with two guys regarding the topic you asked. One is 20+ yrs in and switched 3 times while the other is 30ish and 4.

They both told me they never sensed any resentment from their chain. The most important point was to get them on board. One said the last time he remustered he had to mentor the BPSO at the same time as she was new and that was "a lot of fun" so it help if you take the time to learn the policies before you start to make your move to avoid losing all sense of agency in the process.

None had any horror stories to tell about the process, even after a few drinks in.

Ah, thank you very much. Greatly appreciated!

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Anyone else going through the new BGRS system this APS? Wouldn't mind sound-boarding with someone over PM's if anyone else is moving too.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Jcam posted:

Anyone else going through the new BGRS system this APS? Wouldn't mind sound-boarding with someone over PM's if anyone else is moving too.

In the same boat myself. I keep hearing mixed reviews of it from anyone I've asked around work - mostly neutral to negative opinions, though. Less opportunity to milk extra cash out being the biggest gripe.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
They are going back to DFT and drop the card now.

quote:

As a follow on to our last update on the ReloCard’s issues and the associated fees, we have directed a short term solution. We will be returning to Electronic Fund Transfers (EFTs) directly into members’ bank accounts for all new requests for funds to cover relocation expenses, much the same as the previous model. This will happen within days – with details to be promulgated by the end of the week.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
That is definitely a step in the right direction, but I still worry about young members just finishing QL3 and similar courses being posted for the first time, not fully understanding their entitlements, and overspending/not getting their full entitlements as a result.

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.
I mean, at least the issue is tracked I guess? But yeah, postings from the schools are gonna be a nightmare.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm glad I posted just before this thing really got rolling, I guess. Posting out of the school was frustrating enough.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003

Jcam posted:

That is definitely a step in the right direction, but I still worry about young members just finishing QL3 and similar courses being posted for the first time, not fully understanding their entitlements, and overspending/not getting their full entitlements as a result.
I understand how you feel but on the other hand I can't imagine a fool proof system to accomplish that. When 2 different POC in the system gives you 2 different answers for the same question on a regular basis you just know that people will get screwed no matter what.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Oh absolutely. We have someone in our unit who was still being pinged yesterday by BGRS to apply for his Relocard. I mean, come on right? The left doesn't know what the right is doing at all, and it's the guy's first cost move. I'm staying pretty relaxed about it all (which is easier for me since I'm not selling a house) so I'm really hoping I can give a good report on the whole thing after.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Athabascan left harbour for the last time today, going for ship-breaking

Couldn't even put a few ADCAPs into the old girl and send her out in a blaze of glory.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Lovely Citizen-Soldier story time:

-fracture your knee on ex
-can't work civy-side because your knee is fractured.
-File a claim under the reserve force compensation plan
-Get told that you can't parade since you're on a t-cat and you filed a claim for monetary compensation.
-Get told that if you pursue classes this will severely diminish any payout given (only weekly parade half-day's pay will be given).
-Deduce that if you can't parade on Tuesday nights, how will you pay the bills until your claim is processed?
-Have the Adjutant ignore that rather crucial piece of info
-Request a pay advance to hold you over in the meantime
-5 months later and still no action taken on either requests,
-file for bankruptcy.

This story, combined with the Khadr payout, has my friends talking poo poo that sounds right out of the Kiel mutiny.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Can he contact the ombudsman or higher up the chain? I knew a guy in a similar scenario who got ejected from a vehicle while on duty and got hosed up from it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Last month in the military. I’ve been put up for a command and CDS commendation, promoted and had a trophy named after me.

Still zero motivation. I’m pretty done, but if anyone needs help with school stuff I’m involved with an organization that’s been getting some support to get vets into school.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Best thing Ive done so far is set outlook rules that automatically put basewide emails in the trash.

I'm a DWAN hermit, the less emails the better.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cpl Scooter Bumblenuts is retiring after 11 years of service.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

IMPORTANT NOTICE Don't forget about the raffle/golf tournament.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

REGISTER NOW For coffee and chat with the BSM
Attendance is mandatory

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Re: IMPORTANT NOTICE Don't forget about the raffle/golf tournament.

ALCON,

Stop using reply all to respond to subj email.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Anyone have any anecdata about how this CMHC insurance benefit works? Between that, doubling the HEA benefit and covering mortgage early termination fees it seems like total moral hazard bullshit to prop up house prices of dumps people wouldn't live in if given alternatives, but if you can't beat 'em...

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Guest2553 posted:

Anyone have any anecdata about how this CMHC insurance benefit works? Between that, doubling the HEA benefit and covering mortgage early termination fees it seems like total moral hazard bullshit to prop up house prices of dumps people wouldn't live in if given alternatives, but if you can't beat 'em...

CMHC fees are only paid if after putting all the equity from your previous property into the new property, you still haven't achieved a 20% down payment. This obviously doesn't mean that Pte Bloggins can run and buy his first home with 5% down and get coverage.

Supporting link FYSA: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-amend-toc.page

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

BIG NORTH posted:

CMHC fees are only paid if after putting all the equity from your previous property into the new property, you still haven't achieved a 20% down payment. This obviously doesn't mean that Pte Bloggins can run and buy his first home with 5% down and get coverage.

Supporting link FYSA: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-amend-toc.page

Thanks for the info. Seems pretty useless for most people who rent/aren't a financial :zaurg:.

I'd have probably tried to find a way to abuse it anyways, so I can't be mad :v:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Okay, attached postings to a ship. Is there any admin/coordinating instructions? One of our members got a CFTPO for an at sea tasking and we have no idea how to DAG him.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Okay, attached postings to a ship. Is there any admin/coordinating instructions? One of our members got a CFTPO for an at sea tasking and we have no idea how to DAG him.

Draw pool noodles from supply

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

So what's this I hear about rucksack shortages? Are they going the way of the eternal boots shortage?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Preparing for when the upcoming american civil war leaks past the border, Fenian Raid style.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Heard the same re: ruck shortage. Stores wouldn’t take my 82 pat back when I was issued the CTS ruck. Finally I can get rid of the bloody thing!

In other news, I’ve learned that explosive demolitions is a very satisfying activity.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dudes at my office, for some reason, have interpreted the canforgen as meaning nobody ever will get new issue until all the sleeping bags are returned, whether the member in question has a bag or not.

I grow increasingly concerned that I too am deeply retarded given how these people had to have similar CFAT scores to myself to get into these trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Dudes at my office, for some reason, have interpreted the canforgen as meaning nobody ever will get new issue until all the sleeping bags are returned, whether the member in question has a bag or not.

I grow increasingly concerned that I too am deeply retarded given how these people had to have similar CFAT scores to myself to get into these trades.

I can see where they're deriving that from;

quote:

ALL CAF MEMBERS, LESS THOSE IN PARA 4, ARE TO RETURN THESE ITEMS
TO THEIR LOCAL CLOTHING STORES NLT (PLUS 60 DAYS AFTER RELEASE OF

CANFORGEN). AFTER THIS DATE, A REPORT OF OUTSTANDING RETURNS WILL BE

PROVIDED TO ALL L1 COMMANDERS. IN ADDITION, CLOTHING STORES MAY

DENY NON-OPERATIONAL RELATED SERVICE TO INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE NOT

RETURNED THE ITEMS IAW THIS DIRECTION