Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shirec posted:

I don't know who I'd give it to tbh.

Forgot to mention one particularly choice thing he said. I haven't earned respect, unlike my co-workers. Sorry if this is coming in fragmented, I'm really struggling atm

Keep in mind, he doesn't actually respect your co-workers. He just feels like he can control them better.

e: bad page snipe.

um..

I'm getting very frustrated by a lack of interest/communication from stakeholders. I have two projects that are 90% done but on indefinite hold because the groups that requested the work can't be bothered to do even basic usage testing.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
^^^ yeah this too, total “if you don’t respect me I won’t respect you” bullshit where two very different definitions if “respect” are used in the phrase

Because of course he’s someone whose respect has to be “earned” instead of just loving respecting people to start with.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 1, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Fool posted:

Keep in mind, he doesn't actually respect your co-workers. He just feels like he can control them better.

This, 100%.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
That manager is bad, the company leadership that supports him is bad, and I would be pissed if the company is actually doing well to any degree. So far, the companies I’ve seen with such abhorrent people tend to repel good engineers (read: have employment options and take them) and over maybe a couple years of decline product falls apart, sales is unable to sell something so bad, etc. and the organization ultimately folds (the execs making off with the most because they are contractually given the most, just how it is) and a lot of the people that made the place terrible never learn they were part of the problem and they take their toxic behavior to another company, usually of similar tier. Note that I’m not implying lower or higher tiers of companies here; there are awful people from mom and pop shops all the way to the most prestigious, well known companies because being a bad person is orthogonal to getting and staying hired at most companies above individual contributors.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Shirec posted:

Forgot to mention one particularly choice thing he said. I haven't earned respect, unlike my co-workers. Sorry if this is coming in fragmented, I'm really struggling atm
Give it to anyone within earshot.

And "earning" respect, this guy doesn't know what respect is. You're 1000% fine.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shirec posted:

Give it to his boss, or his boss' boss.

You have earned more respect than you are being given.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
Constant abuse of subordinates to scar them for the rest of their lives is pretty bad, but I'm still angry about taking screenshots of code.

Shirec posted:

He also spent a while explaining his hiring strategy: he goes for new devs (especially those with career changes into dev) because they are anxious, grateful, and will take his orders no question. Apparently I fail on that regard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4BO542Ilh8

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

necrobobsledder posted:

over maybe a couple years of decline product falls apart, sales is unable to sell something so bad, etc

I'm surprised that this is possible, because our sales people somehow keep managing to sell our product :v:

I'm reasonably sure that the ability of sales to sell a product is totally unrelated to the quality of that product.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
*~*~* stolen from tumbler originally ~*~*~ but:

Sometimes people use “respect” to mean “treating someone like a person” and sometimes they use “respect” to mean “treating someone like an authority” and sometimes people who are used to being treated like an authority say “if you won’t respect me I won’t respect you” and they mean “if you won’t treat me like an authority I won’t treat you like a person”

gently caress em & abandon em as fast as possible - they don't deserve your good work.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

redleader posted:

I'm surprised that this is possible, because our sales people somehow keep managing to sell our product :v:

I'm reasonably sure that the ability of sales to sell a product is totally unrelated to the quality of that product.

The sellability of a product depends on how much a prospective customer thinks they need it, not how useful it actually is to them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bongo Bill posted:

Give it to his boss, or his boss' boss.

You have earned more respect than you are being given.

Since this guy is the "CTO" (of 3 people) and there's been no mention of the "CEO", I suspect that her boss started the business with the boss's boss who won't care how his subordinates get treated.

Do blow the whistle on the HIPPO violations.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
In all honesty, it takes a whole lot of dumbness and delusion to get a team of 3 junior developers to build an infinitely scalable anything. This is a difficult thing to do, even for seasoned industry veteran with plenty of resources.

Shirec boss sounds like a total twat that believes he possesses the knowledge to build good reliable software on the cheap because of... his uniqueness??? I don't know what's causing his skewed perception of reality but it's most likely related to his inflated sense of his ego...

He's pathetic, leave him ASAP.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shirec, do you work for @PHP_CEO?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/PHP_CEO/status/765298072691806209

That's perfect.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

quote:

Certified SAFe® 4 Agilist
A Certified SAFe® 4 Agilist (SA) is a SAFe enterprise leadership professional who is part of a Lean-Agile transformation. Key areas of competency include the application of Lean-Agile principles, execution and release of value through Agile Release Trains (ARTs), and building an Agile portfolio with Lean-Agile budgeting.

When I invent a time machine, I will first go and kill the grandparents of the guy who invented SAFe and only after I will go after the guy who killed Hitler.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had a chance to get certified in SAFe and turned it down because I feared people could look it up and use it against me if I changed jobs.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Bongo Bill posted:

Shirec, do you work for @PHP_CEO?

There certainly are a lot of tweets that make me think of my boss. Like this gem
https://twitter.com/PHP_CEO/status/844682275375775744

Just got done finishing out 3 issues in GitLab. I forgot my charger at the office so I couldn't finish the 4th one and I'm mildly anxious that I'll get in trouble about it on Monday.

Also applied to a poo poo load of jobs. Speaking of which, apparently my boss has been incognito looking to see if I'm trying to get out. He's been trying to trip me up verbally, and has said it's trivial to find out when someone is looking for a new job (I think I turned my LinkedIn radar on), but I refuse to say one way or another. Farthest I have gone is saying that if we continue to be at loggerheads, I'd appreciate him elaborating what the other paths he has laid out entail.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had a chance to get certified in SAFe and turned it down because I feared people could look it up and use it against me if I changed jobs.

Even worse: it will make you attractive to companies that use SAFe and unattractive to companies that don't. Think where you want to work.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
We are a SAFe shop, we don't get anything done but at least all our VPs have their feifdoms.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Keetron posted:

When I invent a time machine, I will first go and kill the grandparents of the guy who invented SAFe and only after I will go after the guy who killed Hitler.

the problem is that it's an idea so bad, it couldn't have been invented by one person. poo poo like safe catching on is why you should hire philosophy majors to run your business instead of mbas or business majors.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Keetron posted:

My experience with SAFe has been generally positive, and my SAFe team has been the most effective team I participated in. What's with all the hate towards it?

I will admit though, my other teams were either waterfall, a dumbass home-grown agilefall, and an agile team in an org that's only started implementing it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Accidentally posted in the newbie thread:

ultrafilter posted:

If you love GitHub and hate Microsoft, I've got some bad news for you.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Accidentally posted in the newbie thread:

People are already freaking out about this on my company Slack. Guess it's back to Bitbucket or Gitlab for us...

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm always a little mistrustful of acquisitions (for obvious reasons) but is there a particular reason to think that MS will gently caress up github? Their recent track record with tools and treatment of developers has been quite good.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I'm kind of curious why people are getting hyped up about it. It's pretty clear from MS direction they're embracing open source and whatnot.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

withoutclass posted:

I'm kind of curious why people are getting hyped up about it. It's pretty clear from MS direction they're embracing open source and whatnot.

I keep hearing this phrase and then years later "how could we have fallen for this again???"

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm no Microsoft-hating raving, bearded open-source lunatic, and I agree with Taffer and withoutclass that their recent work in that direction has been pretty decent, but... remember when Skype used to be good?

The best case scenario is the git and github-specific integration in VS gets better and literally nothing else changes.

The worst case scenario is github turns into a brokedick Microsoft OpenSourceSafe365.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

hailthefish posted:

I'm no Microsoft-hating raving, bearded open-source lunatic, and I agree with Taffer and withoutclass that their recent work in that direction has been pretty decent, but... remember when Skype used to be good?

Skype was never ever good

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The ultimate troll would be rebranding the site with LinkedIn

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Curious to see if this changes anything on the VSTS side. They have very different target markets but share a bunch of core features.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

hailthefish posted:

The worst case scenario is github turns into a brokedick Microsoft OpenSourceSafe365.

They already have Visual Studio Team Services, which is probably not coincidentally in the process of rolling out public projects. It's also a fantastic service.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

For some reason there's been a big spike in projects imported to GitLab today.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Gitlab will roll out a migrate-from-github tool today, is my prediction. If it is already there, they will market it more pronounced .

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Keetron posted:

Gitlab will roll out a migrate-from-github tool today, is my prediction. If it is already there, they will market it more pronounced .

Yep!

"GitLab sees huge spike in project imports" on hn, linking to the dashboard.

And advertising for new users apparently (although it doesn't show for me?):

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

withoutclass posted:

Knee-jerk Microsoft hate, I think. I don't think there's any reason to worry at this point; MS has embraced GitHub and uses Git internally and has contributed upstream. I expect they'll work to integrate GitHub with Azure more closely, but I don't know nightmare scenario people are thinking about here. It's not like vendor lock-in will be a serious threat here; you can just copy your repo and put it somewhere else if they do something you don't like in 20-30 minutes (plus whatever integrations you have, but I expect those will largely be plug and play unless you rely on weird bespoke poo poo).

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 4, 2018

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
It's not a problem because Git is a decentralised version control system, and surely no one would be foolish enough to tie a decentralised vcs to a centralised, single-point-of-failure service like GitHub! Why, that would mean squandering the only real advantage that a DVCS has!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Knee-jerk Microsoft hate, I think. I don't think there's any reason to worry at this point; MS has embraced GitHub and uses Git internally and has contributed upstream. I expect they'll work to integrate GitHub with Azure more closely, but I don't know nightmare scenario people are thinking about here. It's not like vendor lock-in will be a serious threat here; you can just copy your repo and put it somewhere else if they do something you don't like in 20-30 minutes (plus whatever integrations you have, but I expect those will largely be plug and play unless you rely on weird bespoke poo poo).

Microsoft has a service that already does the same stuff as GitHub. It's always been private repos-only... until the past few weeks, when they started rolling out public projects. GitHub is now a direct competitor. I don't think they're going to maintain two functionally identical platforms in the long-term.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

:rip: their code https://about.gitlab.com/2017/02/10/postmortem-of-database-outage-of-january-31/

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Microsoft has a service that already does the same stuff as GitHub. It's always been private repos-only... until the past few weeks, when they started rolling out public projects. GitHub is now a direct competitor. I don't think they're going to maintain two functionally identical platforms in the long-term.

Does VSTS support Git repositories? We use it with TFS at work, but, well, TFS :manning:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Munkeymon posted:

Does VSTS support Git repositories? We use it with TFS at work, but, well, TFS :manning:

Yes, for like 6 years. It's the same codebase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

redleader posted:

It's not a problem because Git is a decentralised version control system, and surely no one would be foolish enough to tie a decentralised vcs to a centralised, single-point-of-failure service like GitHub! Why, that would mean squandering the only real advantage that a DVCS has!
Yeah! It's especially awesome how issues and pull requests and ability to have conversations and stuff are built right into git so we never need a centralized service!