Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Starting to think there's something up with swedish people and bees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

It feels wrong to me to refer to bumblebees as bees, when I say bees I think of the small honey bee type. Maybe it's the language because they don't sound alike at all in my native language (swedish).

Bumblebee = Humla
Honey bee = Bi

That's not at all unusual for a word to prescribe some meaning that may be misleading in some way.
Just consider these things that aren't berries: raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, mulberries
And these things that are berries: bananas, watermelon, eggplant, peppers

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Anecdotally, I would say that based on my experience most native english speakers think of "bee" and "honeybee" as synonymous and aren't necessarily even aware of any distinction between honey bees and bumble bees.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Been thinking, we got a really dumb system for our yard. All the rainwater from the gutters and downspouts go straight into wells around the corners and they're connected via french drains so when they become full enough the water flows away form the yard into the ditch. Well we've had 4 weeks without rain now and possibly the hottest May on the records.

What a stupid waste of water. Gonna get some rain barrels.

This aptly-named site has been a great reference to me for the ins and outs outs of garden irrigation stuff. They've got a few articles on rain barrels (though based on your posts you probably have plenty of working knowledge already):

https://www.irrigationtutorials.com/gravity-flow-rain-barrel-drip-systems/
https://www.irrigationtutorials.com/automatic-rain-barrel-irrigation/

I might have to add a rain barrel + pump system to my ever-growing project queue.

Shame Boner posted:

That's not at all unusual for a word to prescribe some meaning that may be misleading in some way.
Just consider these things that aren't berries: raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, mulberries
And these things that are berries: bananas, watermelon, eggplant, peppers

Thanks to my pedantry my toddler knows that tomatoes are fruit and considers them a delightful desert option.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 30, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My current plan is to buy two 200 liter barrels and hook them up to the downspouts on each side of the house with this nifty thing you can mount on it that leads away the water until the barrel is full, then it goes into the normal drainage system. I already own a submersible pump so I should be able to hook it up to the garden hose, or just fill a watering can the old fashioned way.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Is there a way I can get this jade to branch out on the other sides? It's going to tip over soon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stick a rod in there, tie it up gradually? Put it in a corner and aim it there?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I think I'm killing my 'Winifred Gilman' Cleveland Sage. Despite the flower stalks continuing to grow and now open up, many of the leaves are yellowing and falling off. It is in a container that is basically half sand with a little perlite and the rest cactus mix. Should I literally not water it now that its summer? I'm getting conflicting information that it can't handle any summer water OR that this variety is more tolerant of garden water. Last week I went about 4 days with no water to see if that helped, but the tips started to droop (which I usually take as a sign that a plant needs water).

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Minenfeld! posted:

Is there a way I can get this jade to branch out on the other sides? It's going to tip over soon.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Stick a rod in there, tie it up gradually? Put it in a corner and aim it there?

This is what I've had to do with most if not all my jades over the last few years at some point. I just use a tiny piece of bamboo or wood and hold the jade where I want (not so far in your case as to break it at the base) and let it rest gently against it. I don't like tying them because I don't want to scar them. That jade will probably backbud up anyway, enjoy your new cascading jade! Those leaves look very happy too :D

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone know what plant this is?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Some kind of dianthus? Odd foliage, though.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This is what I've had to do with most if not all my jades over the last few years at some point. I just use a tiny piece of bamboo or wood and hold the jade where I want (not so far in your case as to break it at the base) and let it rest gently against it. I don't like tying them because I don't want to scar them. That jade will probably backbud up anyway, enjoy your new cascading jade! Those leaves look very happy too :D

It's very happy since I took over care from my office mate. It used to be red, yellow, and orange.

It's hard to tell from the photo perhaps, but that's not the main stem, that's a branch. Using a stake is just going to have the branch bend up. I was wondering if I could cut the branch and replant it or if there was a way yo get branching off the main stem.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You could chance it with cutting it and using rooting powder, but it’s a big risk.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I will kill every last one of these thrips or die trying.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

anatomi posted:

Anyone know what plant this is?

Looks like the dianthus I have in my yard, also known as Sweet William.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Minenfeld! posted:

It's very happy since I took over care from my office mate. It used to be red, yellow, and orange.

It's hard to tell from the photo perhaps, but that's not the main stem, that's a branch. Using a stake is just going to have the branch bend up. I was wondering if I could cut the branch and replant it or if there was a way yo get branching off the main stem.

Yea sorry from the picture it just looks like its bent over to the right from the base in the soil. I dont know any way to force a jade to bud beyond rotating it towards the sun in the direction you want it to grow and even that will probably just make it grow up instead to fill the space. I'd leave that one as is and go to home depot, buy one of their $10 jade pots with too many plants in it and break it down to 10 separate plants and repot them and start fresh. These 3 were HD stock, ~5 years old I think? The one on the left had only 4 leaves originally :3

learnincurve posted:

You could chance it with cutting it and using rooting powder, but it’s a big risk.

Hey resident plant expert (or anyone else!!) What kind of any of fertilizer would you use for jades?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Houseplants ain’t my thing lol, can’t keep them alive indoors.

I was doing some reading about propagation and looked up Jades. Apparently if you get a light loamy seed compost then you can plant individual leaves say, four to a 9cm pot, and in four weeks they should take root.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Jades are incredibly easy to propagate.

If you just take a leaf and put it on some soil, it will grow roots and new leaves:

Or you can do this, with remains from a little pruning - just leave it out in the air for a few days to harden off where you cut it, then put it in some well-draining dirt.

I have too many already so I'll be giving these away at the office in a few weeks once they've taken root.

Jade plant was the first thing I grew (took a cutting from my parent's decades old massive jade tree) and I haven't managed to kill any of them yet. My project this year will be to get some of them to flower.

As far as fertilizer goes they will survive with very little but would always appreciate a little worm poop.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 31, 2018

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Actually, a leaf was knocked off it weeks ago snd it's just started sprouting small leaves.

In the photo I posted above, could I just snip it at a node with all those leaves on it, wait for it to harden, then replant? Do I have to strip any of the bark off? Or use rooting powder?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Here is another on the right that is about 3 years old and looked pretty similar to how yours looks now when it first started. I just kept adjusting chopsticks every now and then to make sure it wasn't going to break and no leaves or stem were resting on anything. I rotated it every 3-4 weeks which mayyy have stressed it out a little but also maybe helped it get the shape it is now?

The little one on the left dropped off a 70+ year old jade that is over 5 feet tall an old lady gave to a local greenhouse near me. After my 4th trip to just look at the jade and take pictures the owner said I was "lusting after it" and gave me a piece of branch it naturally dropped, it was about a 1/3rd of the size at the time. I kept it out of soil for ~2 weeks and then just stuck it in an inch deep and let it do its thing. It took quite a while to establish itself.

The last picture is a close up of the white tendrils you can see that I look for when propagating them. Like I said i haven't fully figured it out yet but the most successful way seems to be: put the piece on soil and wait without watering it.

I'll stop with the jade spam for a little while, they're just my favorite plants and pretty easy to take care of as long as you don't drown them

Mozi posted:

Jades are incredibly easy to propagate.

If you just take a leaf and put it on some soil, it will grow roots and new leaves:

Or you can do this, with remains from a little pruning - just leave it out in the air for a few days to harden off where you cut it, then put it in some well-draining dirt.

I have too many already so I'll be giving these away at the office in a few weeks once they've taken root.

Jade plant was the first thing I grew (took a cutting from my parent's decades old massive jade tree) and I haven't managed to kill any of them yet. My project this year will be to get some of them to flower.

As far as fertilizer goes they will survive with very little but would always appreciate a little worm poop.

I'm so wary of pulling leaves off mine, I have no idea why. I know it won't hurt the plant but I just like letting it do its own thing. Those baby jades look super healthy I'm jealous of your coworkers! I need more jades! I want to do one of those infinity mirror rooms and fill it with jades, jades as far as the eye can see.

Mozi post the jades those came from!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hi gardengoons. This is my first place ever with an outdoor space to take care of, and I’m trying to plan for next year. The biggest problem is our front garden- we’re right up against the street, and the front couple feet of land gets loaded down with snow and some salt (Boston area). There’s nowhere else to shovel the snow in the winter, and I’m worried that whatever I plant there will get immediately crushed to death. It’s full sun, with no shade at all throughout the day and well drained/dry soil. I was thinking of doing a hardy ground-cover/creeping plant in front, then a thin walkway for access, then a ‘nice’ garden in back. The whole front of the house is ‘garden’ area- no lawn- but it’s fairly set back and hard to access most of it without stepping all over everything.

The previous owner complained about not being able to get anything to grow well, but I’m also not sure they were any good at gardening. I know I’m not, but I want to put some effort in to figure out something nice and (hopefully) low maintenance. I’d like to include a lot of native plants, for both ecological and upkeep reasons, but getting started is pretty overwhelming. Do you have any resources for planning out layouts/plant selection for very new gardeners? Also... if I want to aim for planting next year, what should I focus on this year?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Well, here's what I did with the jade:

And here's the leaf that fell off:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Minenfeld! posted:

And here's the leaf that fell off:

looks great and now you have two jades :D

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I also just ordered a sunset jade online. But that's for home to go with my peace lily and copper spoon kalanchoe.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mozi I forgot to ask, how do you plan on making your jade flower? I've heard its just from stress.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Hirayuki posted:

Some kind of dianthus? Odd foliage, though.

Schmeichy posted:

Looks like the dianthus I have in my yard, also known as Sweet William.
Looks like a likely candidate! Thanks. It's a pretty prolific grower.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Mozi I forgot to ask, how do you plan on making your jade flower? I've heard its just from stress.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Minenfeld! posted:

Hey, that's exactly what I was going to recommend. It looks nice to build up a real thick trunk in my opinion. It probably won't ever be completely straight but eventually something will sprout lower down on the trunk and then you can gradually prune away the current branch. Jade plants are pretty flexible overall and can really move around to get the best sun so you can use that to your advantage too.

Apparently it is caused by lower night temperatures during the winter (55-60), among a few things. My parents got one of theirs to flower by leaving it outside until later in the fall. I'll get a pic of the huge jade when I have chance.

lmao

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

[quote="“BadSamaritan”" post="“484612276”"]
Do you have any resources for planning out layouts/plant selection for very new gardeners? Also... if I want to aim for planting next year, what should I focus on this year?
[/quote]

I know some other folks in the thread have tools for garden planning, but for your second question I’d say start paying real close attention to where you get sun during this part of the year so you know where to plant next year. You also have plenty of time left this summer to get a crop of summer veggies planted and harvested before fall (greens, carrots, radish, etc.) if you get seeds in the ground within the next few weeks.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
The house I was renting a few years back had a ton of old jade plants all over. Most of them were either in the ground or too big to move, so they stayed outside year-round. Of course, this is in California, zone 10a/9b so winters are pretty mild. We had some frost in February one year that damaged some plants, but they all bounced back pretty quickly. Wish I could have said the same of the tomatoes and lettuce I still had in the ground. The jades did flower every year, though, and they were quite pretty. :3:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My boss: hi i ordered some succulents for the store

This seems like more than “some”

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I would call that "a number of succulents."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
In the first picture the top left row and middle left row are just rocks?

E: the broccoli looking things in the left side of the middle picture are wild.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

In the first picture the top left row and middle left row are just rocks?

E: the broccoli looking things in the left side of the middle picture are wild.

The little 'rocks' are Lithops!

and I'm totally the target market and falling for the 'endcap of succulents' hardware and general stores are now pushing

and the mystery cuttings I took from Italy are indeed rooting with the paper towel/misting method :3:

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I wish it was easier to find pelargonium "scented geranium" plants near me. I was so excited to actually find a nursery that had rose and citronella scented ones, but now I'm hooked. I have some old fashioned cook books that have recipes for them, and I want the fruity scented ones.

In other news, my hops are taking off this year

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Does anyone have tips for propagating roses? I was able to get a cutting to root in water but ones I’ve tried in potting soil never go anywhere. These are a shrub variety that I will call ‘sock-out’.

Same goes for boxwood, but neither works with the cuttings I’ve used up till this point.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Garden fence question, we have a border the dog loves to trample through, my wife is constantly fighting an arm's race of protecting key points and certain plants but we've had enough and we're going to fence the whole border off, I'm sure this will result in the dog destroying something else but hey.

Anyway, I'm going to use 50*100 mesh and 40mm angle posts. This will be adequate to keep the dog out while blending into the foliage enough, but we want to be able to fold sections of the mesh down to access it for actual gardening. Any suggestions on how to attach the mesh to the fence so that it's secure but it won't be too much of a hassle to disconnect?

bend
Dec 31, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

Garden fence question, we have a border the dog loves to trample through, my wife is constantly fighting an arm's race of protecting key points and certain plants but we've had enough and we're going to fence the whole border off, I'm sure this will result in the dog destroying something else but hey.

Anyway, I'm going to use 50*100 mesh and 40mm angle posts. This will be adequate to keep the dog out while blending into the foliage enough, but we want to be able to fold sections of the mesh down to access it for actual gardening. Any suggestions on how to attach the mesh to the fence so that it's secure but it won't be too much of a hassle to disconnect?

zipties?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I've got a young Bloodgood Maple in my yard (about 6ft high) that had a piece of bark, about 1 inch sq, ripped off near the base of the trunk. That was about a week ago, and since then some of the leaves on the furthest reaches, at the top of a few of the sides have started to die. I have two questions:

1) Chances that the foliage dying off is a direct result of the bark issue, or could it be something more serious?
2) Can I just apply some tree wound putty with my finger or are there other steps I should take to protect it?

I'll be buying a trunk guard to put on this tree for the future. I'm still not sure what damaged it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

cakesmith handyman posted:

Carabiners? Maybe have one post where you attach the fence to one side, then cut it and attach the continuation of the fence to a short un-planted post that you can fasten/unfasten to the planted anchor post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Was gone for a week which this time of year always means fun things to look forward to when you return

New flower!

There's masses of whatever this is (the orange one) everywhere. I took out some to put in other things, but I'm glad to find out it is indeed decorative and was probably intentional at some point

We've got two orchids, which didn't bloom last year. They both seem happy this year, though, and this one grew like 6 inches in the past week!

Pulled this ground cover thing off a roof in France, and it's very happy. Cute little flower stalks :3: