Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can not wait to re-enact the fall of tenochtitlan by having everyone contract smallpox and then get murdered by rear end in a top hat pirates with laser guns desperate to steal our golden toilets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Basically Combat Extended has a "Stabilize *name*" option when you right click a downed person that I think either doesn't count as a full treatment or counts as something separate, that slows the bleeding on everything considerably

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Coolguye posted:

these are much easier issues to care about than the idiots in cell block B being pissy at each other again and there's a snitch in cell block C that should probably get moved to protective custody. but the real solutions are no less involved, in practice.

I solve all prisoner problems by doing this to each one

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

boar guy posted:

without mods?

yes. you can click my question mark to follow a lot of the strategies i come up with and designs i use. most notably, you'll probably pick up on the fact that i eschew a lot of the more fun crazy stuff people do in this game in favor of focusing on boring, simple fundamentals like reducing walk times, setting work schedules, maintaining mood, and keeping colonists AWAY from combat as much as possible (using turrets. never not use turrets.)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

LegoMan posted:

I have a "Prison Spine" I leave laying around. If anyone causes any problems, they get the bionic spine implanted and immediately removed. :colbert: I tend to let prisoners go free if they behave long enough, but if you're a pyromaniac you're probably going to be a blood bank and/or sacrifice

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Danaru posted:

I have a "Prison Spine" I leave laying around. If anyone causes any problems, they get the bionic spine implanted and immediately removed. :colbert: I tend to let prisoners go free if they behave long enough, but if you're a pyromaniac you're probably going to be a blood bank and/or sacrifice

The only problem with the 2 peg legs is when they raid again they're usually slower than the rest of the pack and so when their friends get cut down I don't get to kill them and take their drugs because they're already peg leg hobbling away

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I can't believe I put off using Extended Storage and Stack XXL this long, my storage space has been cut in quarters! Everything is so neat now. :allears:

Although Randy still gets me. I setup a pretty decent killbox and was wondering if I'd ruined the game as raids started to become trivial. A raid comes along, and starts mining through my outer wall next to my killbox. No worries, I'm thinking, I'll just mortar them and then if they still get through my turrets will take care of the rest. Just as they finish the last block in my mountain/wall a solar flare pops up and my turrets are offline. In the end we made it and only lost one colonist, my chemical interest one who I was not sad to see the end of. The game is amazing.

Also I asked about a mod earlier to change restriction zones during events (such as raids), Better Pawn Control is it! Although Defensive Positions is also super handy for your fighters.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

LegoMan posted:

Can you install two peg legs (removing the meat legs) then just remove the peg legs? I mean if they're prisoners they get fed anyway so it's not like they need those meat legs. If they're good and recruited they can get their peg legs back.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
This is rimworld. You can use that trick to remove somones spine never mind their legs.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Prison Spine™ (Patent Pending) is good for if you don't intend a prisoner to move anymore, but if you feel like letting someone go home, definitely don't let them leave with their meat legs. If their faction wants to attack again, make them attack with soldiers covered in peg legs and eye patches :colbert:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
"Are you guys the pirate faction?"

"No, we just hosed with the wrong dudes"

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

I love this thread :allears:

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Can you install two peg legs (removing the meat legs) then just remove the peg legs? I mean if they're prisoners they get fed anyway so it's not like they need those meat legs. If they're good and recruited they can get their peg legs back.

I don't care about recruiting, I want them to go back to their faction with a severe Luciferum addiction and bring back their stash when they come back. Eventually I want their whole faction to be Luci addicted double pirates.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well I like Rimworld so far! Did the tutorial, started over with my own hand-picked folks, and I've got the basics built. Lots more to do and develop, but it feels so...nice? It's hitting all of those same lovely spots that Prison Architect did, but without the, ahem, difficult subject matter. (I grew to love PA and it's a ton of fun, but it did take a lot of internal wrassling to be okay with building a prison.)

You'll soon be making hats with the rest of us.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Of the mods I've been testing, I'm most disappointed with No Water, No Life so far. It's broken? It's weird? It's overly complicated and, well, yeesh. Out it goes. (It should not be impossible to figure out how to make cups, see!)

e: To detail, I combed through basically all of the menus looking for the thing that would let me build cups, so my peeps would quit complaining about it, and... nothing. Nada. Then I do some googling and it's marked as behaving weirdly, and yeah. I love the concept, but it's just not working so out it goes. ... And out goes the save, because it breaks a save if it's gone.

Ah well! New colony tomorrow, we'll have a good time.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 3, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

In the Cities: Skylines thread we mod to get rid of water piping. In Rimworld we mod to add water piping.

Something something full circle.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Combat extended changes everything. Not sure if I like it or not. It's weird having combat over so quickly (usually with all my guys dead until I reload and figure out what went wrong). Now there are scythers and my dudes have lee enfields and magnums. Not lookin too good!

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Of the mods I've been testing, I'm most disappointed with No Water, No Life so far. It's broken? It's weird? It's overly complicated and, well, yeesh. Out it goes. (It should not be impossible to figure out how to make cups, see!)

e: To detail, I combed through basically all of the menus looking for the thing that would let me build cups, so my peeps would quit complaining about it, and... nothing. Nada. Then I do some googling and it's marked as behaving weirdly, and yeah. I love the concept, but it's just not working so out it goes. ... And out goes the save, because it breaks a save if it's gone.

Ah well! New colony tomorrow, we'll have a good time.

It's the water drawing spot. You need to create a bill to draw water, and the water vessels will be created automatically.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm debating doing an iron man run with randy, tribals, and combat extended. I always reload if something I don't like happens but that kinda defeats the purpose. Can you even do killboxes with combat extended?

Also I turned off ammo cause gently caress that. Any experiences regarding ammo vs no ammo?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ammo in CE is tedious and once you set up the supply line for it it's not really functionally any different from without ammo so you're better off without, imo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

of note: the idea of a prison spine is a funny one but one i would never even consider bothering with in one of my games. the effort of obtaining and faffing around with a spine like that - let alone running the risks of actually utilizing it - is too much for me to consider it viable. the value or time used in obtaining the spine would be better spent buying tons of steel or plasteel or uranium - things that are actually going to accomplish a primary goal. i also don't mess around with prisoners much at all. they have a single, nice prison barrack and i install beds as they are needed. i inspect potential prisoners immediately upon seeing them passed out/capturable. there are three results from this inspection, and only three.

1) i want to recruit them - capture, mend, pamper, recruit.
2) i do not want to recruit them, but they are from a faction i would like to befriend (or, at least, to stop trying to kill me) - capture, mend, release once healthy.
3) neither of the above - strip, leave to die on ground. move to refuse pile at edge of map after death.

is this boring? absolutely. but i don't spend a single extra second on prisoners when i could be using those seconds to cook meals, build turrets, raise crops, and craft weapons/armor. this translates into people getting off the planet alive.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Prisoners are a valuable resource when you're running the Cthulhu mod. The spine is a bit much for me though, my guys get double peg leg treatment with one taken back immediately and the other leg depending on behavior. I don't actually feed my prisoners so it's useful for them to be able to walk to the nutrition dispenser available on their side of the wall. Give me any problems and it's a plasteel club to the back of the head, loss of leg privileges, and up to the front of the line for an orbital trader crash.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Playing lord of the rim mod. P cool and good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

It's the water drawing spot. You need to create a bill to draw water, and the water vessels will be created automatically.

I'm an idiot. I'll try the mod again, I did like how the water adds to the realism.

Coolguye posted:

of note: the idea of a prison spine is a funny one but one i would never even consider bothering with in one of my games. the effort of obtaining and faffing around with a spine like that - let alone running the risks of actually utilizing it - is too much for me to consider it viable. the value or time used in obtaining the spine would be better spent buying tons of steel or plasteel or uranium - things that are actually going to accomplish a primary goal. i also don't mess around with prisoners much at all. they have a single, nice prison barrack and i install beds as they are needed. i inspect potential prisoners immediately upon seeing them passed out/capturable. there are three results from this inspection, and only three.

2) i do not want to recruit them, but they are from a faction i would like to befriend (or, at least, to stop trying to kill me) - capture, mend, release once healthy.
3) neither of the above - strip, leave to die on ground. move to refuse pile at edge of map after death.

is this boring? absolutely. but i don't spend a single extra second on prisoners when i could be using those seconds to cook meals, build turrets, raise crops, and craft weapons/armor. this translates into people getting off the planet alive.

I find this super fascinating - it speaks to the divide in how the game is designed. To play at max efficiency for escaping (the true end goal) then you need to play in a more boring manner. Yet the game is full of non-efficient things, and thousands of distractions. People want to screw around with prison spines, they want to build a sustainable colony.

I mean, don't get me wrong - you sound happy playing the way you do. Play the game as you want to play it. I'm just fascinated by the...seeming mistake the creator's made in reading what the fanbase actually does with his game. This is particularly interesting to me because I've played a bunch of Rise to Ruins, which leans even harder into the survival aspects of raids. It turns raids into a true tower defense game, where you need to use your village to make traditional tower defense mazes so you can fend off monsters every night. It's a weird hybrid that feels oddly disconnected from itself, as precisely half of the game is making villagers happy and getting them food stockpiled and such, and the other half is desperately getting bow towers up and running because on standard difficulty the monsters ramp up in intensity very quickly. One note: the villagers are near useless at fighting, even if you turn them into guards. I don't know if that game's creator will balance that, but it emphasizes even more that you need to treat it like a tower defense game.

Game design is neat and weird and I find it neat to think about.

e: Heatstroke just killed two of my colonists, jeeeesus it's more lethal than I expected.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 3, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Coolguye posted:

of note: the idea of a prison spine is a funny one but one i would never even consider bothering with in one of my games. the effort of obtaining and faffing around with a spine like that - let alone running the risks of actually utilizing it - is too much for me to consider it viable.

EPOE is so good it should be merged with the base game. The ability to craft bionics out of metals and components is pretty awesome.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah with EPOE, having a dedicated prison spine is easy since most of my colonists already have bionic spines at that point :v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've been using the 40k mod and they recently added in cogitators. Prisoners I don't want to recruit or release become brains in jars.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Taerkar posted:

I've been using the 40k mod and they recently added in cogitators. Prisoners I don't want to recruit or release become brains in jars.

What exactly do the brains in jars do? :ohdear:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Taerkar posted:

I wasn't super interested in the 40k mod before, but now you have my attention

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What function does brain in jar have to have? It's a self fulfilling object. It exists, therefor it is justified.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hook the brain to a research station

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Living Battery and the prison labor mod give other things to do with prisoners too.

Another thing for after a raid - have your bloodthirsty colonists run out with swords to finish off the wounded you aren’t taking in. Getting 5 stacks of two kinds of bonuses to mood (saw someone die and killed someone) for a few days REALLY makes them happy.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Anticheese posted:

What exactly do the brains in jars do? :ohdear:

You need them to build the cogitators, which provide either research bonuses or production bonuses.

I'm hoping they put in Servo-skulls.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Anticheese posted:

EPOE is so good it should be merged with the base game. The ability to craft bionics out of metals and components is pretty awesome.

having played with it before i can only agree. i honestly don't care if the crafting has to be made harder (like including uranium), but bionics are so important as a colony ages that it is absurd that we must rely on opportunistic merchants for them.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I find this super fascinating - it speaks to the divide in how the game is designed. To play at max efficiency for escaping (the true end goal) then you need to play in a more boring manner. Yet the game is full of non-efficient things, and thousands of distractions. People want to screw around with prison spines, they want to build a sustainable colony.
yup. i will play modded games where the goal is to gently caress around and see how far i can bend the game before it snaps, but if i am playing unmodded the goal is to get off the drat planet with as little loss of life and limb as possible - and due to the increasing intensity of hazards as time goes on (even Randy does this, but to a much lesser extent!) it is really only a matter of when someone gets maimed and killed, not if. you can't gently caress around with prison spines, you can't gently caress around with mutilating prisoners period really because of the mood effects, you have to treat each and every illness and injury as a lethal complication, you must export one of like 3 or 4 potential things for trade, and you must trade CONSTANTLY for base staples like wood, steel, plasteel, uranium, and components. anything else is going to, by inches each time, get people killed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm essentially with Coolguye on my treatment of prisoners, even in my heavily modded game. I've passed on prison labor so far since I heard it can be pretty buggy, and ultimately the implementation is kludgey because its a much more complex thing than, say, dropships. Can someone refute these impressions? I would love to have a solid mechanical reason for a work-release program in my game.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
How does one build on ice? I'm in a boreal forest and patches of the area I want to build on are simply Ice and don't appear to support boardwalks. I have a mod that allows terraforming just about anything (including an option for terraforming ice that doesn't appear to work) but nothing seems to be buildable/modifiable on those squares. Maybe I need to enclose and then melt the ice?

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Prisoners = New Tentacly Appendages for the True Believers.

I imagine my colonists end up looking something like a cross between this

and this

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My husband's colony just experienced a massive brush fire because a boomalope off in the wilderness suffered a fatal heart attack :lol:

e: ahaha some boomrats were injured by the blast and now every boomrat on the map has gone manhunter

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Coolguye posted:

In my hundreds of hours of play no one has made it off the rock alive, why would you want to leave your cannibalistic paradise?

The one thing about prisoners in late game is you absolutely have to start picking them up as a means of replenishing your grunt supply so your valuable crafting specialists don't have to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only times I ever built a space ship was with Save Our Ship installed, so I could bring my scourge to other worlds