Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

After a shamefully huge amount of hours playing vanilla+RSO I want to try something new, so I was thinking Bob+Angel that gets talked about a lot.

There seem to be about 15 different Bob mods through. Do I need each one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Galvanik posted:

After a shamefully huge amount of hours playing vanilla+RSO I want to try something new, so I was thinking Bob+Angel that gets talked about a lot.

There seem to be about 15 different Bob mods through. Do I need each one?

They're mix n' match. Pick the ones that sound good.

If that's too much for you, my personal picks: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/423244050548654093/431635732000538624/Angel_10.zip

That's a savegame (3 seconds in), just "load" it, there's a 'sync mods to save' button, and you're good to go. [I don't know if linking from discord works, so its experiment time :science:] This is how I get folks to join multiplayer Angelbobs, since listing off 20+ mods to people of various levels of giving-a-gently caress is a fool's errand

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
I'm mid-way through a playthrough where I was after a bit more complexity (but not nearly as insanity-inducing as AngelBobs) and I can recommend the following :

Hard crafting - mining iron or copper gives you new different types of items such as iron-nuggets, gravel, dirt, copper-sludge (as well as actual ore), so you'll need to filter/sort your ore before smelting
Simple Silicon - adds silicon wafers to a few recipes (like Red circuits)
Steam Cracking - all advanced oil processing/cracking recipes now require steam

(NB : Hard crafting adds an oil-sand resource which RSO seems to not handle, but you can turn off the oil-sand part of the mod)

If you want more in the ore-stage you can throw in Ore Chaos too - but I suspect you'll either love it or hate it...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
My seablock had finally reached logistics chests :toot: I'm 100 hours in and have 3 red belts of slag being created and I'm still low on damned everything, especially plastic and copper and iron.

Not sure what to redo first, maybe the ore refining line? It's a shame barreling is so inefficient @ 50u/sec because i'd love to get rid of pipe hell. My petrochem section that grew organically is just the worst.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
While we're talking about mod recommendations, what would be some good mods to make enemies more interesting?(Both in terms of changing/adding to the current enemies, adding more walls and turrets, etc)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone know of a scheme to prevent corner turrets from getting hosed up by spitters? Obvious answers are "don't have corners" or "use repair bots" but sometimes geometry requires a corner or maybe you don't have robots yet.

With a line of flamethrowers and gun turrets I do pretty well, nothing ever takes damage, but as soon as there's a corner that one turret seems to constantly get peppered.. best guess is because biters charge at a 45 degree angle and it can't kill spitters before they get a shot off.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Basically, you cut the corner (just chop out the corner turret entirely). The problem is when you have that one turret on its own trying to handle the spitters - if you just take that turret out entirely, the two turrets that were next to the corner will handle spitters together.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also, is there a better moment in this game than when you unlock artillery?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
awww that island's shaped like a heart

I want one mom I WANT ONE I WANT ONE

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my head it's been batman island because of that penninsula in the upper right.

Followed by an internal conversation of "or does it look more like a dog? hmm. maybe a cat."

This has probably been the most fun stock game I've had so far.. it's a deathworld, with trainworld type resources (though instead of very large patches, I set it to small or very small). The pressure to constantly expand made the first 10 hours a bit touch and go, I had to skip the quality of life techs so I could maximize gun turrets and get a car ASAP.

I got it pretty much licked now, this island has enough resources I will probably get bored of the playthrough before I drain it.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Nalesh posted:

While we're talking about mod recommendations, what would be some good mods to make enemies more interesting?(Both in terms of changing/adding to the current enemies, adding more walls and turrets, etc)

I don't know about the quality of any of the mods that change enemies or military stuff but I hear good things about Rampant. It doesn't sound like it changes the units but it overhauls the big picture AI of where and when they attack so they don't just follow the straight line into your turrets. They will avoid attacking where a lot of biters have already died so you can't focus on one spot. They are also supposed to probe and actively search for weak spots, retreat if they are overwhelmed, rally nearby biters (which makes leaving your defenses a lot more dangerous), and maybe some other things too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I finally pushed through the post blue science ADD for the first time since the research redesign and nuclear power is pretty neat. My first draft fuel control solution was fun to hammer out even though I had to admit I forgot everything about using combinator latches practically and made chest and belt state machines instead.

Next stop yellow and purple science. I've been staring intensely at my spreadsheet for yellow science and gawking at the copper requirements. But whatever, I've got enough power to just dedicate smelting to the fancy sciences now.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I mean, once you get Kovarex Enrichment, there's not even a need to attempt to regulate your power usage. You just keep producing more and more U-235 and more and more fuel until the drat fuel chests are full, and you just keep burning it because who cares you can always get more. I cannot for the life of me understand why there are all these setups that read the level of steam in tanks and only feed fuel to a reactor under certain conditions... it's not like overheating is a thing yet. Just pump 'em full of fuel and expand to get more!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

XkyRauh posted:

I mean, once you get Kovarex Enrichment, there's not even a need to attempt to regulate your power usage. You just keep producing more and more U-235 and more and more fuel until the drat fuel chests are full, and you just keep burning it because who cares you can always get more. I cannot for the life of me understand why there are all these setups that read the level of steam in tanks and only feed fuel to a reactor under certain conditions... it's not like overheating is a thing yet. Just pump 'em full of fuel and expand to get more!

Totally agreed from a gameplay and resource scarcity standpoint.

But counterpoint: It feels wrong and lame to setup a nuclear reactor with no controls. Like a real-life Homer Simpson shoveling as much glowing isotope in as she can handle with no consequences. Even though all I did was steal inserter circuit logic and an SR latch from Reddit, I still feel smug and self satisfied by cosplaying as a nuclear engineer.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For the same reason I design proper load shedding and backup generators: Because its elegant.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Anyone got a fun islandly seed? with Rampant I feel like I should be allowed a few natural bottlenecks :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do but you're gonna have to wait 9 hours for me to get home and copy it. :v:

(it's the one with the heart/batman island I posted a bit ago)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I've also got one and am at work. I'll post it when I get home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

seed '197739'

yields this:

After adjusting the water settings.

The full string is

code:
>>>eNptUT0sBEEUfs/scI6I4hqJiOLaE0GhEDsqheiPyrqdY+Psyu5d
gYLiJAqJRkNDKxKdhGgkCiQkFyqNnGgUCkJEITkzezO3l4sved9++73
Z9zML0Al9gIC03ch4Vs5AGs94S0vcT3k+N5poa8Yv2DzlOTlKabPNA+
7nCSGG7YTPOHf54nJq1gq4QQid860gEHbM8T03rIDUCCzXFh4N8p4rD
Zr3OZen2gq+5TqFRXUQcMEgsF7sCaOyBv2VigyhSgBhCIhZhaFBMzkn
mwXoHZOBiKuJ4/HnlR0Tq/k+psS7ctLnyilvKJE+UmLzUgm2r8WaFts
MB0N8mpGo9sqLyqpJjEWimizKJOLH/Mvmyc/XKP4eftxPzs6YkYPYIr
dqqtHersSZ3gB0zbKpUo8m3t1KvJni0sQXCUlsWNDFBAHs7BDqYEtQb
zfo0UZ1mQTDbIhvvcmLFg9m4x5JhiOyeI+ka0lhw9pkqOQUqya6oqz4
dADq29vRcje642Vd64YZknqGIfbPCg1Osu7i47KPXaNXUhtC3GCpRb+
Jf0sgwrv5dHo1/Qceu5Tx<<<

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Nalesh posted:

Anyone got a fun islandly seed? with Rampant I feel like I should be allowed a few natural bottlenecks :v:

code:
>>>eNptUT1Iw0AUfs/k/KkiHboIWhy6VkQdHKS5Tg7iKOhmbK4SqIkk
Lfgz6FDBQXFxUQRdRXBzEBehIAoKRSc3xcVBURF1EepdeteU4gfvy3f
vy72fBCAKCWgCJB16xjVzRCORjDs/z7yk6zF+ast4BYslXTtHdNJsMZ
95eU3TdMsOnhHmsLnF5IzpM34is57p+1y02p7ryAq6bzqWMP2864gEy
XuM+dxoL3imYxfmghd1Apj+WvhYLcZBRGUF+isVEVyVAYLgQECeUCCZ
nJ3NAvSmRSDicux49HFp28Cq30eleJeZyTOZeViTYvJIivWSFHRfiRU
ltigOBvg0QlHtleeVZZNWGoqqWRQm4ubrycHPRTmFv4cft+Mz0wbaPR
Pj0cJbipstYqumGu3uCJyqDUDVfDCkdW/gzbXAi4FE3IgJosOczsc0w
GgnVwcbnHq7QY2WUmViFLMBvtUmT0rcGY17JCiOiOJxQZeCgoa1yVDK
KVo1ukKXXx2A+vZWuNyV6liqa90wQ0LNMET/WaEhk6j78BHRx6rRs1Y
bgn/Bcos68X+rQYh3w7nd6/kDKEuTlQ==<<<
This one's got everything you need to get up to blue or maybe even purple potions before you hit the mainland.

Also, I've got a protip for making island maps: the map generator will push back large bodies of water from your starting location based on the starting area size. If you set water to [very] low frequency & [very] big, and set the starting area to very small, you'll have a much higher chance of getting an island/peninsula/isthmus.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
My map isn't quite an island actually, I forgot how huge the eastern side was. However, you may find it interesting as a rampant map still so here it is (the western point is actually disconnected):

code:
>>>eNpjYBBg0GdgYGBk5WFJzk/MYWJl5UrOLyhILdLNL0oF8jiTi0pT
UnXzM0FSbCmpxalFJczMzCwpmWCaKzUvNbdSNymxOBXIY00vSiwuBjI
4Movy86AmsBQn5qWAJItL8vNAAqwlRampIFXcpUWJeZmluVCFDIy/M5
LuNLTIMYDw/3oGg///QRjIugB0IggDARMDI1AABliTczLT0hgYGlw+M
Cg4MDIyVousc39YNcWeESKv5wBlfICKROyGijxohTIiVkMZHYehDIf5
MEY9jNHvwGgMBp/tEQyIXSVAk6GWcDggGBDJFpAkI2NowwvrxTYH7Rj
/rPx4yTfJwZ4xUzbUV6D0vR1Qkh0U/kxwYtZMENgJ8wEDzMwH9lCpm/
aMZ8+AwBt7RlaQDhEQccCbGUoI8AG5C3qAhIIMA8xpdjBjRBwY08DgG
8wnj2GMy/bo/lBxYLQBGS4HIk6A0wkD3EgGUHhDWJEOEAlJhCxQqxED
svUpCM+dhNl4GMlqNDeowNxg4oDFC2giKkgBzwWyJwVOvGCGOwIYghf
YYTxg3DIzIMAH+wt2zV4A0gGTfA==<<<

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I know I added rampant to make enemies a bit more challenging, but this is ridiculous

And I can't even find a setting to not spawn them so close to the spawn area.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Rampant is mostly bad, but that doesn't really look like a Rampant issue so much as an unfortunate mapgen.

Rampant makes the early game harder by preventing turtling meaning you actually have to give a drat about pollution, does nothing to midgame because you'll have walls up by then, and utterly loving ruins the late game by spawning infinite hordes of behemoths every five minutes (though you can at least limit the wave sizes in the mod settings) and making the AI overreact massively to any expension creep so you basically have to play Red Alert 1 turret spam to take new land unless you've got lots of water around. It also makes the AI much more likely to attack poles, belts, and the spawned hordes arise even if you've cleared out your pollution cloud. Plus the dev plans on adding burrowing so walling up is useless. And by default spit does a billion damage to walls all of a sudden.

The 'spit is no longer homing' thing is good though, and the swarms acting in squads does at least look neat.

For some reason I don't like 0.16 mapgen and the way water works. Even though I know they're acutally generating heightmaps and stuff now instead of just putting big arbitrary puddles everwhere the land:water ratio never feels quite right. Biter nest spawning also feels somehow off compared to 0.15 but I can't put my finger on why.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
My experience with Rampant's mostly the same as above, unless you tweak its settings, it's just an unfun slog. Running around and suddenly having waves coming from nests half a mile away just because you're physically "near" them is just ridiculous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone good with filter splitters that can explain what I'm seeing here?

I got a tidy little kovarex loop going and going into it I was worried I'd have to set up circuits to keep the belt loaded up, but as I was fussing with it I noticed that splitters with a priority will occasionally "leak" to the non prioritized side. In this example the belt is completely full so it happens pretty regularly, but it can happen any time there are several items clustered together (ie, they had been put on the belt by a stack inserter). With a completely saturated belt it ejects a U-238 from the left lane about every 9-10 seconds. The inside lane is more random but has a minimum of 14-ish seconds.

It works way better than I could have planned and I'm curious if this is a game quirk or an intended behavior.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Intended, sort of. The one side is prioritized, but unless the filter explicitly states "send X to the left", then when more than one (side of a) belt's worth of items hits the splitter, the 'extra' goes to the non-prioritized side, just as if you had two incoming lanes that could not both fit when compressed into one outgoing lane.

VVV Correct

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 3, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get that, I just don't understand the details of why it doesn't drain the obviously backed up priority belt.

Is it because the belt is still technically moving, and it doesn't eject to the non-priority until it completely stops for a frame or two (like when there's a tiny hole in the belt, an inserter fills that hole, and the game shuffles everything around by a pixel to make room)?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
One side has to stop. it's technically not backed up when the thing can just run in a loop with what's on the belt, forever.

If you want to make it work, just replace one section of the belt loop with a stack inserter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Actually it does work like it is now.. better than I could have designed. All the unneeded U-235 ships off to my ammo factory and the U-238 loops back around for conversion into fuel.

I was just curious how it worked, and maybe whether it's gonna blow up on me at some point.

So far it's been maintenance free for about 4 hours of play so it's probably fine.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Could also artificially create gaps by turning off the belt before the inserter belt section unless that belt has less than 6 enriched. (would that work? not ingame atm)

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ambaire posted:

Could also artificially create gaps by turning off the belt before the inserter belt section unless that belt has less than 6 enriched. (would that work? not ingame atm)

It wouldn't work with one tile being read specifically, cause a single lane will have at most 4 of an item per tile; 6 of two tiles would work, though.

A simpler solution is put a single yellow belt somewhere. Immediately after the inserter gets you the most agile setup, I think.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

me to my wife: "look at how efficiently my trains run now."
her (a normal person): "isn't that the whole game?"
me: "kinda... yeah, i guess"

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Watching it in game it seems like a bit of weirdness from the game engine. I had one side of a belt split off when it wasn't saturated, while the other was and took 10 more seconds to split. My guess is it's kind like how underground belts work(ed?) by being boxes with different graphics, so every once in a while the input and outputs don't sync up right, and it splits to the low priority side.

If you're worried about the setup breaking at some point because of a bug fix or optimization, maybe put a yellow belt in there right after the "out" splitter on the high priority side.

Which would work like this when the centerfuges aren't at capacity.

Then this once the belt gets full to any more than 1/2 saturation.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

question on main bus design, do you pull the metal/copper plates for circuits from (the start of) the main bus towards the circuit assembly area or do they get their own dedicated smelting area?

Also how many tiles do you usually reserve for roads and trains and such?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
I usually just pull from the main bus, using a 4x2 layout (as in, 4 bus lanes, then 2 spaces, then 4 bus lanes, and so on). Haven't really done much with trains yet however (I got into Bob's Angels and have been crazy enough to bus everything, think my record was about 50 lanes and horribly inneficient :v:).

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

How do you all load/unload trains? I found this design on Reddit which looks and seems really neat, but because the top inserters have to wait for the bottom belts to be empty it's not very even:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is my unloader. Fills belts instantly and is easy to spam.

Only downside is you can only use four chests and you have to offset by a tile for multi-car trains.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

double nine posted:

question on main bus design, do you pull the metal/copper plates for circuits from (the start of) the main bus towards the circuit assembly area or do they get their own dedicated smelting area?

I usually start by pulling off the bus but once you get to blue chips you are probably going to want dedicated smelting for chips if want a decent rate of reds and blues without totally starving the rest of your factory.

Jack the Lad posted:

How do you all load/unload trains? I found this design on Reddit which looks and seems really neat, but because the top inserters have to wait for the bottom belts to be empty it's not very even:

I found this version of that unloader (blueprint string in link) that uses circuits to make the inserters swing in sync so its evenly unloaded. I haven't tried it since the belt/compression changes so it might not work right anymore.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Cool, thanks. I guess the important thing with these is mostly having 12 stack inserters to actually load and unload, since once whatever you're unloading it hits the boxes it only takes like 3 stack inserters to saturate even a blue belt from the boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the main reason for maximizing chests is to get the train unloaded as fast as possible. The mega factory folks seem to value that really highly, but I don't play at that scale so don't really chase after it. As long as my belt is full and the furnaces are all glowing I'm happy.