Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm criticizing the literary establishment for not recognizing how good King is at writing character drama!!

sorry, should have been "tell him to come talk to me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
He's just put a short story, LUCIE, up on his website for you to grab for free if you're so inclined.

Wizard of Yendor
Jul 1, 2008
The Outsider came out today.

Said to be a spiritual successor to the Bill Hodges trilogy. Supposedly goes back to the hardboiled roots of the trilogy and does not have the supernatural elements of End of Watch.

Will start when I get home, I have high hopes for this book.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
If that’s the case I’m very interested. I really liked Mr. Mercedes but hated the next two books in the trilogy

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'd like to thank the AV Club and their book review then for spoiling things right in the first lines of their review.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it is supernatural tho

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it is supernatural tho

Yeah, when a Stephen King book review (or multiple, in this case) says that they discover an "actual monster", it means that they discover an actual monster.

Nonetheless, it's the first book of his that has sounded interesting since Revival.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just saw Mike Flanagan is doing Dr. Sleep. I haven’t seen Gerald’s Game, but I really enjoyed his other movies. Dr. Sleep is one of those books I liked in parts, but overall I didn’t care for.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Wizard of Yendor posted:

The Outsider came out today.

Said to be a spiritual successor to the Bill Hodges trilogy. Supposedly goes back to the hardboiled roots of the trilogy and does not have the supernatural elements of End of Watch.

Will start when I get home, I have high hopes for this book.

Oh no... there's supernatural elements. The Outsider is a monster. Also it's more than a spiritual successor to the Bill Hodges trilogy because Holly Gibney shows up in the second half of the book and holy Christ can she not shut the gently caress up about Bill Hodges.

I'm near the end and it feels like a chore to finish. Not one of my favorite King books.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Vastarien posted:

Oh no... there's supernatural elements. The Outsider is a monster. Also it's more than a spiritual successor to the Bill Hodges trilogy because Holly Gibney shows up in the second half of the book and holy Christ can she not shut the gently caress up about Bill Hodges.

I'm near the end and it feels like a chore to finish. Not one of my favorite King books.

I'm near the end as well. I wouldn't say it feels like a chore, but I will say the book would probably be much better If there was no connection to the Bill Hodges trilogy at all. I liked those three books, for the most part, but The Outsider just kind of faceplants when Holly shows up

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Good setup, bad follow-through. I am shocked, simply stunned that a Stephen King novel called "The [Noun]" would turn out this way.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

mdemone posted:

Good setup, bad follow-through. I am shocked, simply stunned that a Stephen King novel [...] would turn out this way.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I made myself finish The Outsider and lol, that ending. Apparently all it takes to defeat an ancient supernatural entity is to simply wack it upside the head a whole two times with a sock full a ball bearings. Holly Gibney saves the day with her trusty Happy Slapper. Again. It's so dumb I can't even be mad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vastarien posted:

I made myself finish The Outsider and lol, that ending. Apparently all it takes to defeat an ancient supernatural entity is to simply wack it upside the head a whole two times with a sock full a ball bearings. Holly Gibney saves the day with her trusty Happy Slapper. Again. It's so dumb I can't even be mad.

God drat, Stephen. For such a good writer, this seems to happen a LOT in your books and i think I know why.

In "On Writing", King basically admits that he mostly figures it out as he goes along and sort of lets the characters write the story for him. He says he likes never knowing where they'll take him or what they'll do next, and seems to enjoy the element of "surprise", but I think it would be helpful if he stopped doing that so much. Get at least a very basic 3 act outline, set up the essential elements of the characters and have some semblance of an idea what the big "payoff" or "message" at the end is supposed to be.

He basically admits to writing himself into corners and, I'm sorry, but it shows.

That's how we wind up with so many "inter-dimensional monsters", "space turtles", "mystic retards" and "magic paintings". He could take the approach I described and still sort of "free form" at the same time. I can understand why it might be a more fun way of writing, improvising a bit and letting new ideas in as you go, but even the best painters and musicians in the world start with a basic sketch most of the time, unless they're just sketching or jamming.

I mean, he's a better writer than I am and certainly one of the most accomplished authors in history so I'm sure he cares gently caress all what I think, but the "fizzled roman candle" endings are a pretty common complaint from King's fans and I honestly think this could be rectified if he worked in a little bit more structured way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the tommyknockers is one king novel that sticks the landing

it's also one of his best books despite his insistence to the contrary

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oxxidation posted:

the tommyknockers is one king novel that sticks the landing

it's also one of his best books despite his insistence to the contrary

I love The Tommyknockers, but even I feel the middle act is a huge slog.

The ending is perfect. All the little interludes in the town are great. Old man Brown is a badass.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BiggerBoat posted:

God drat, Stephen. For such a good writer, this seems to happen a LOT in your books and i think I know why.

In "On Writing", King basically admits that he mostly figures it out as he goes along and sort of lets the characters write the story for him. He says he likes never knowing where they'll take him or what they'll do next, and seems to enjoy the element of "surprise", but I think it would be helpful if he stopped doing that so much. Get at least a very basic 3 act outline, set up the essential elements of the characters and have some semblance of an idea what the big "payoff" or "message" at the end is supposed to be.

He basically admits to writing himself into corners and, I'm sorry, but it shows.

That's how we wind up with so many "inter-dimensional monsters", "space turtles", "mystic retards" and "magic paintings". He could take the approach I described and still sort of "free form" at the same time. I can understand why it might be a more fun way of writing, improvising a bit and letting new ideas in as you go, but even the best painters and musicians in the world start with a basic sketch most of the time, unless they're just sketching or jamming.

I mean, he's a better writer than I am and certainly one of the most accomplished authors in history so I'm sure he cares gently caress all what I think, but the "fizzled roman candle" endings are a pretty common complaint from King's fans and I honestly think this could be rectified if he worked in a little bit more structured way.

this. i just finished needful things and lol at the whole ending. the book is overall pretty good but it just kinda ends much like alot of his books.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 3, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like his weak endings provide an irregular reward schedule that conditioned his fans to keep pulling the lever.

The lever's more fun when the cheese isn't guaranteed.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. i just finished needful things and lol at the whole ending. the book is overall pretty good but it just kinda ends much like alot of his books.

drat it! I'm reading this now, have about 200 pages left. Was hoping it wouldn't have a poo poo ending though.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Welp you guys just saved me from trying it out. I was seeing 4s on Goodreads which usually gets me curious, but I'll probably pass.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
Needful Things. Yeah. That was a King ending. Everything up to the last 20 pages was amazing. The characters were well written, the story was like watching a train crash in slow motion, and then it took a massive poo poo and just ended. :argh:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm ready for a new Mid-World book. I really enjoyed The Wind Through the Keyhole.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Did The Outsider have any supernatural elements? Was it good?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JustinMorgan posted:

Needful Things. Yeah. That was a King ending. Everything up to the last 20 pages was amazing. The characters were well written, the story was like watching a train crash in slow motion, and then it took a massive poo poo and just ended. :argh:

is there any king book that doesnt just end like that. the shinning had a good ending but thats about it. most of the final acts of his book feel like rush jobs.

JustinMorgan posted:

drat it! I'm reading this now, have about 200 pages left. Was hoping it wouldn't have a poo poo ending though.

its great until the very end and the ending isnt bad, its just kinda WTF and asspully.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 14, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the shinning had a good ending but thats about it.

Are you worried about being sued?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is there any king book that doesnt just end like that. the shinning had a good ending but thats about it. most of the final acts of his book feel like rush jobs.

its great until the very end and the ending isnt bad, its just kinda WTF and asspully.

firestarters ending rules

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dead zone too

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

lol.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Yes. I read Dead Zone earlier this year and really appreciated how that ended. What else of King's has a good ending?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

JustinMorgan posted:

Yes. I read Dead Zone earlier this year and really appreciated how that ended. What else of King's has a good ending?

Revival

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Carrie, The Shining, Dead Zone, Firestarter, Cujo, Christine, Pet Semetary, It, Misery, and Tommyknockers all have fine endings, which comprises the majority of his best run.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
It has a terrible ending dude

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think it has a good ending. Thr town and monster are ended and there’s a sense of closure for the characters. It ends on a very bittersweet note.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, what? It's one of his better endings.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the turtle is very dumb.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
King books with good endings: Misery, Cujo, Shining, Carrie, Salems lot, Long Walk, Green Mile, Dead Zone, 11/22/63, The Stand, Thinner, Delores Claiborne, Pet Semetary...

Telling that most of these are front loaded towards earlier in his career.

Leavemywife posted:

:golfclap:

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
Just finished the Outsider, and not having read any of the Bill Hodges' books...Holly was ok I guess. But I am confused...we're movies her trains or Bill? She wouldn't shut the gently caress up about him.

The monster really freaking felt like Diet Pennywise . At least in motive and ability.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

the turtle is very dumb.

it's not what happens in the sewers that makes the ending, it's what happens to derry

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the turtle rules actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He set the turtle up to be a possibly more sinister rival to It and then whoops it's hippy bullshit.