Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Downloaded the demo and goddamn that is some Ace Combat level good Ace Combat gameplay.

Very glad I backed at the get in the game level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I downloaded the demo as well. At first I was unimpressed, because I was playing that A2A mission, thinking that would be the most fun. It was not.

But I kept at it, swapping my Logitech 3D joystick for a DualShock 4 (which I needed to download DS4Win to use properly) and switching to that Desert Strike mission. That made all the difference in the world. I had a blast. This is definitely something I've wanted for a while, and if AC7 doesn't ever come out, I feel like this probably will?

Nothing says Ace Combat like swatting sky cruisers out of the air with air-to-ground rockets. Those are air to air weapons and you can't tell me otherwise, game! :mad:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been meaning to look into getting a joystick for my pc. No clue where to start, though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah the air superiority mission was decent, but then I tried the ground assault mission and holy poo poo if that mission isn't good. Operation Blackout, it's called for those who haven't tried it.

The banter, the giant flying planes (though it says they have SAMs on them but those aren't loving SAMs they're in the air THEY'RE AAMS DON'T YOU HAVE ANY REVERENCE FOR ACE COMBAT YOU loving WHOOOOOOOOOOOORES), the feeling like I am a loving GOD OF WAR STRAPPED INTO A loving PLANE.

This is also in no real way a criticism but I'm also unused to my allies feeling... competent. I mean yeah I'm still a literal international war crime in plane form but I watch rockets come in to blow up buildings and I just get like "hey I was gonna do that!"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's pretty neat but the turning speed feels really low compared to the post-4 ACs.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I played on a friend's copy and man, you are so sluggish. Having most recently been playing a high level lightweight plane in Infinity, it feels like you're flying with another plane or two strapped to you try to maneuver. It's pretty good for nap of the earth strafing with guns and stuff, but real fancy flying feels too stiff, and even smashing brakes feels like you're turning way too slow.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I kinda like the flight model that way. It makes dodging missiles slightly more interesting (as in not effortlessly easy and therefore you have to care about incoming) and makes positioning for kills a little more work, hence satisfying.

But then, we have a sample size of three planes in an alpha, so while I like it, I won't mind too much if they tighten it up either.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, Hard Mode is not loving around.

It feels like the standard missiles are a lot better at heat-seeking than in Ace Combat proper-- I've been nailing some seriously oblique deflection shots that I never would have dreamed of taking in Infinity.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

meanwhile mine have been whiffing rear-quarter sweet shots and making me irritated

what happens if you take standard missiles as your SP weapons, can you fire six at once or do you just get a larger payload

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I should probably download the Wingman demo (especially considering I dumped money on it), but I'm kind of worried about whether my 5 year old laptop will run it. At least I should have a new computer by May of next year.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Psion posted:

what happens if you take standard missiles as your SP weapons, can you fire six at once or do you just get a larger payload

Just the latter, unfortunately-- strapping up the non-copyright-infringing Super Bug with all STMs let me carry 255 of them. As far as I can tell they don't even reload any faster either. :sigh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ninjahedgehog posted:

Just the latter, unfortunately-- strapping up the non-copyright-infringing Super Bug with all STMs let me carry 255 of them. As far as I can tell they don't even reload any faster either. :sigh:

Ah, that's a shame. Still, two SP weapons? This is the kind of innovation we need!

also I actually like how they decided to duck all the licensing poo poo (which, for the record, I think is completely absurd) by going hard into their Not Strangereal universe and shuffling the characters around in the names of the various airplane's designations. Manufacturers, too.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shinjobi posted:

I've been meaning to look into getting a joystick for my pc. No clue where to start, though.

Saitek X-52 is your best entry level “real” joystick and throttle. I have the Pro version and adore it.

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is basic and reliable if you’re just looking for a joystick.

The Thrustmaster Warthog or the VKB Gunfighter are basically the Ferrari’s of joysticks. Only get one if you’re really gonna play plane games regularly.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

if you just want a stick, with the twist and a throttle-ish thing, and you don't want any fancy gubbins or spending $$$, i'm getting good use out of a logitech extreme 3d pro
all you nerds on about "oh it feels more sluggish than my ultralite superplane in ace", that's a good thing. it means you actually have to do positioning and maneuvering and poo poo instead of hitting the brakes and doing the moonwalk

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

all you nerds on about "oh it feels more sluggish than my ultralite superplane in ace", that's a good thing. it means you actually have to do positioning and maneuvering and poo poo instead of hitting the brakes and doing the moonwalk

hmm nah it's slow and not good

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

hmm nah it's slow and not good

my opinion is the correct one shut up

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The ol' "hit the brakes and he'll fly right by" trick still works. :hellyeah:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Yeah. The improved tracking on the missiles really helps counterbalance the lower manueverability. It makes the unguided rockets a lot less viable, sadly. I also don't see Crow hitting ANYTHING with UGBs in this game. Like, ever.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
UGBs look easy as hell to use in this?
/war thunder RB player that has adapted to the developers long catering to players in tanks that has escalated to where bombs with mass smaller than 1000lbs have to land and detonate directly on the target armoured vehicle to destroy it

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

MrLonghair posted:

UGBs look easy as hell to use in this?

They're easy as hell to use in Ace Combat, that doesn't stop Crow from missing with them.

On the subject of joysticks, anyone have an opinion on the Thrustmaster T.16000M? I'd been looking at that since a friend gifted me Flight Simulator X a while back.

EDIT: the main thing is I don't like twisting the stick for rudder control, but I want to have some way to control rudders beyond that without shelling out another hundred for pedals. The X-52 definitely has a rudder-lock but I don't see a way to control yaw beyond that; the T.16000m does have rudders on the throttle, but I've only found one source that claims it has a rudder lock or anything of that nature and answers on Amazon outright state that source is lying.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 3, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

stick twist is the devil, I agree

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Kadorhal posted:

They're easy as hell to use in Ace Combat, that doesn't stop Crow from missing with them.

On the subject of joysticks, anyone have an opinion on the Thrustmaster T.16000M? I'd been looking at that since a friend gifted me Flight Simulator X a while back.

EDIT: the main thing is I don't like twisting the stick for rudder control, but I want to have some way to control rudders beyond that without shelling out another hundred for pedals. The X-52 definitely has a rudder-lock but I don't see a way to control yaw beyond that; the T.16000m does have rudders on the throttle, but I've only found one source that claims it has a rudder lock or anything of that nature and answers on Amazon outright state that source is lying.

Croooooow :unsmith:

T-16000M FCS Hotas is a pricey solution compared to the lone stick but gives separate rudder flaps. Stick twist is the devil but any self respecting stick should allow you to lock it to four axis (twist inputs not listened to) rather than five.

e: I forgot to ramble about the hall sensors that make the 16000 series pricey but it is filfthy great. Standard sticks for flight sims at home since the 1980's have 256 values each axis, the hall sensor solution is next to infinite compared to it, anyone will get work done with the Hotas X of the potentiometer pusher type but once you see it - test it - love it, you're lost.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 4, 2018

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Thrustmaster hotas x has a rocker on the throttle you can use instead of the twist. It's a cheap and cheerful stick but it's OK for the price.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ShineDog posted:

Thrustmaster hotas x has a rocker on the throttle you can use instead of the twist. It's a cheap and cheerful stick but it's OK for the price.

My X45 has this as well, but I don't know about the X52.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

X52 and X55 are. Both twist rudder but you can lock it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

today was the PC gaming E3 thing and the sony E3 thing. nothing. no news.
they showed ads for basically all the upcoming VR games. no mention of ace 7.

it's probably canceled :smith:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

they showed ads for basically all the upcoming VR games. no mention of ace 7.

namco already said they weren't showing the VR aspect of it, so that's not really news

the part where the game seems to be stuck in long-rear end development hell is also not really news, unfortunately, but what can you do

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

long-rear end development hell we already know and can kinda deal with. no news on top of that, especially at the Big Gaming Things, that's like they're deliberately not spending any more money on it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

long-rear end development hell we already know and can kinda deal with. no news on top of that, especially at the Big Gaming Things, that's like they're deliberately not spending any more money on it.

It's not "news" but Keiki Kobayashi tweeted today that the game in the process of being scored

https://twitter.com/keikikobayashi/status/1006391589944479744

https://twitter.com/keikikobayashi/status/1006388442723307520

So it's probably not cancelled, otherwise Namco just hired an orchestra for nothing.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

well i guess that's good news :unsmith:
thanks crow!

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
From BanCo's EU Twitter: https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoEU/status/1006454527577518082?s=09

So we get a new trailer on Friday.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/PROJECT_ACES/status/1006858115986350081

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
New information tomorrow.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A giant lightning gun and...energy shields?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

no, those are two very different things. to take an E3 example, CDPR put out the first piece of Cyberpunk 2077 media in five years. You think they weren't spending more money on it between the teaser in 2013 and the trailer in 2018? Of course not.

as the posts above me demonstrate, even :colbert:

Sindai posted:

A giant lightning gun and...energy shields?

one of the previous trailers had what looked like a laser or similar directed energy weapon in an external pod, so yeah, maybe this is the angle they're going. Lasers and flying into clouds.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Incredibly pedantic, but I'm amused that the world map has been updated to reflect Assault Horizon Legacy/Skies Unknown's changes to Usea, but Fires of Liberation's retcons to Anea w/r/t Emmeria and Estovakia have been erased.

gently caress me PA really wants to pretend 6 just didn't happen for some reason...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the only game series where I'd be excited to see a topographical map of the game world

slightly higher resolution scans here, with some translated tidbits

https://www.dualshockers.com/ace-combat-7-info-screenshots/

e: full translation here i think

https://www.reddit.com/r/acecombat/comments/8qvr93/just_made_a_translation_of_famitsus_latest/

Minera fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 14, 2018

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I just want a mission to take place in the ocean north of Belka. You just know there's going to be genetically engineered Belkan godzilla monsters or some poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
What is a Kulbit maneuver?