Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

hangedman1984 posted:

Any good survival* mechanics that aren't just insufferable tedious bookkeeping? Planning on running a game exploring a lost (supposedly)uninhabited region after the game I'm currently running wraps up soon.

*The style of game, not the skill

The set I made is based on the assumption that you will be purchasing supplies from a settlement, I assume that’s not the case here? I can probably whip up a set of completely untested survival rules on the fly for you though, are there any thematic aspects you’re interested in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

The set I made is based on the assumption that you will be purchasing supplies from a settlement, I assume that’s not the case here? I can probably whip up a set of completely untested survival rules on the fly for you though, are there any thematic aspects you’re interested in?

Its still in the early planning stages, since I'm only just nearing the end of my current game. But the premise is the players will be exploring and rediscovering the ruins of the ancient human empire that was destroyed after some mysterious cataclysm released plagues, blights, natural disaster, fiends and monsters that destroyed said empire, forcing the surviving humans to migrate to the the region they now occupy. The ancient lost empire is rather isolated due to natural geographic features. So the game itself will probably focus a lot on rediscovering lost history, excavating ancient ruins, and longterm goal try to resettle and reclaim the region as well as dealing with the all the problems that originally drove the ancient humans from the region in the first place. It is actually part of the same homebrew setting I am using for the current game, so some of the information is actually already known to the players as background setting details.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Splicer posted:

Or dump str put that 14 into dex and go medium armour like a normal person.

Oh yeah, if this is AL then just reassign stats and go medium; there's no shame in wearing half-plate.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Question, if the PCs find a spellbook as loot, is it assumed they can read what the spells in it are? Do they have to make a check? I just started running my friends through Death House and there’s a spellbook in a chest in there and I don’t know if I should just tell them what’s in it. There’s no wizard in the party but there’s a warlock and a cleric (and a fighter who plans to go EK but that doesn’t matter yet). Obviously none of them will be able to use it except the warlock eventually wants to take the book that lets them cast rituals and there’s at least one ritual spell in the book as written.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Epi Lepi posted:

Question, if the PCs find a spellbook as loot, is it assumed they can read what the spells in it are? Do they have to make a check? I just started running my friends through Death House and there’s a spellbook in a chest in there and I don’t know if I should just tell them what’s in it. There’s no wizard in the party but there’s a warlock and a cleric (and a fighter who plans to go EK but that doesn’t matter yet). Obviously none of them will be able to use it except the warlock eventually wants to take the book that lets them cast rituals and there’s at least one ritual spell in the book as written.

I'd say that if there are spells in there that are on the other casters' spell lists, they can read them, but if the spells are wizard-only then they would need to make an Arcana check to try and interpret them. The spellbook doesn't really offer any benefit to a wizard-less party though, since only wizards use spellbooks for casting. If the warlock takes Book of Arcane Secrets, he or she would be able to copy rituals out of it into a Book of Shadows, so that's cool. Book of Ancient Secrets is a really strong invocation.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

MonsterEnvy posted:

I assume it's because Waterdeep Undermountain is next.

It's really likely this is going to come in two parts.

This is correct. Waterdeep part is 1-5 with multiple pathways to play through, undermountain book will be level 6 to epic tierish.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Epi Lepi posted:

Tailor them all to the warlock's ritual thing and have them make a fake arcana check to decipher them. Warlock figures out like 2 rituals. Occasionally make more arcanas and just keep doling out rituals. Hook, line and sinker mothrrfucker.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is there a 5e discord channel?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Novum posted:

Tailor them all to the warlock's ritual thing and have them make a fake arcana check to decipher them. Warlock figures out like 2 rituals. Occasionally make more arcanas and just keep doling out rituals. Hook, line and sinker mothrrfucker.

This is a good idea. Take away the book later (as part of something else, not its own thing), and when they get it back, the warlock happens to roll really well and get more rituals than normal.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CeallaSo posted:

I'd say that if there are spells in there that are on the other casters' spell lists, they can read them, but if the spells are wizard-only then they would need to make an Arcana check to try and interpret them. The spellbook doesn't really offer any benefit to a wizard-less party though, since only wizards use spellbooks for casting. If the warlock takes Book of Arcane Secrets, he or she would be able to copy rituals out of it into a Book of Shadows, so that's cool. Book of Ancient Secrets is a really strong invocation.
Rip the pages out as single-use scrolls :unsmigghh:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaysette posted:

This is correct. Waterdeep part is 1-5 with multiple pathways to play through, undermountain book will be level 6 to epic tierish.

Thats cool. So it's a short adventure like Lost Mines just with multiple paths.

RC Cola posted:

Is there a 5e discord channel?

Don't know if there is one for this site. But there are a quite a few that are easy to find.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 2, 2018

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats cool. So it's a short adventure like Lost Mines just with multiple paths.

Don't know if there is one for this site. But there are a quite a few that are easy to find.

I was hoping for a goon one, if there isn't one I'll look for a nice non goon discord channel

Also is adventure league fun, or does it tend to be super rule lawyery and not worth it? I'm thinking of trying it out when my usual group can't get together

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 2, 2018

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kaysette posted:

This is still just speculation though right? Or has there been confirmation of this stuff. Seems a little specific for what they were discussing yesterday.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kaysette posted:

Man, I really wish this had been released a month ago so I could have adapted it as a starter to my urban campaign rather than awkwardly grafting Lost Mines onto it.

(on the bright side I guess it means I might find local public games for it and actually be a player for once.)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Changed some things round, new stats at level 4 are:

Str: 11
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Cha: 19

Invocations are now
Devils Sight
Beguiling Whispers

Spells-
Hellish rebuke
Armour of Aghtys
Charm person
Crown of Madness
Comprehend Languages

Cantrips
Eldritch Blast
True Strike
Green Flame Blade.

Also since I chose a new sort of Tiefling I also get to use:
Searing Smite once per day.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I was wondering where that 11 str came from. But now either your con or dex has a +1 it's not entitled to.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

I was wondering where that 11 str came from. But now either your con or dex has a +1 it's not entitled to.

I used this one as a tool to make my char, is it wrong? http://chicken-dinner.com/5e/5e-point-buy.html

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josef bugman posted:

I used this one as a tool to make my char, is it wrong? http://chicken-dinner.com/5e/5e-point-buy.html

No it works fine. Just don't see the reason for the 11 Strength.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

No it works fine. Just don't see the reason for the 11 Strength.

Using the latter, Zariel, set up of Tiefling:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

DKWildz posted:

5E is the first and only edition that I've actually played. It's really weird to hear these stores from people that experience these 'meatgrinders,' or the DM's themselves that love to run them. I'm sure it's more the edition and generation of the game that you started with, and that initial group that imprints that mindset. I keep hearing that they think the game is too easy and they need to challenge the players more. Do they think the players aren't having fun, or is it that they aren't having fun when they're actually killing player characters?

Without any experience as a DM myself, but having run a couple weeks in Storm King's Thunder & Tomb of Annihilation in separate groups, it seems like there becomes a huge gap in feeling between DM's and players as far as fun and challenge. The DM in SKT put the 4 of us players through 3 successive fights vs 20 creatures of varying types. We managed without a death, but had several down's in the first and 3rd fight (easily surrounded on a small map with those huge numbers), but honestly I was sure we were not going to win at points in all 3 fights, and had a blast in each one and was looking forward to being able to spend some time in the town for RP afterwards.

It seems like in an adventure like these, if one were to run it as that 'meatgrinder,' you'd be losing characters so often that before long not a single original character that started the story is present, and at that point, what do these characters have in stake for continuing this story since none of them were even present for the thing that started all of it. It feels very odd to me, narratively.

In general, when running a meat grinder, the story kind of falls apart quickly and the DM's expect that you just roll with it that everyone that is new just has the exact same drive as the old party. Even though in Strange Aeons one of the main conceits is the original party has amnesia... which in my game at least, no new characters have this affliction, so if he did get his way, we would have a very odd game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josef bugman posted:

Using the latter, Zariel, set up of Tiefling:

Ah thats fine.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ah thats fine.

Grand!

How are my spell choices (going to take either Hypnotic pattern or darkness for next spell choice)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josef bugman posted:

Grand!

How are my spell choices (going to take either Hypnotic pattern or darkness for next spell choice)

Nothing wrong with them from what I see.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nothing wrong with them from what I see.

Thanks!

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Tome of Foes mentions that servants of Mammon often keep a book on them called The Accounting and Valuation of All Things, which has among other things, pricing information for mortal souls.

Supposing it was written in Infernal and you gave some sort of limitation with the book like decaying/fading away so the players aren't just bothering you with it forever, what fun/interesting thing might you put in there? Like the obvious choice is an abnormally high or low value for a particular individual's soul, information that someone has already sold theirs, etc., but I'm curious if anyone has any specific or different ideas.

The first thing that springs to mind is the bits from The Good Place where you see how many points different good/bad deeds are worth

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mike Danger posted:

The first thing that springs to mind is the bits from The Good Place where you see how many points different good/bad deeds are worth

would a demon value good or evil things higher?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
https://www.twitch.tv/averagebearsa Today we are fighting Thanos with an erection.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

As a D&D player how do I convince my friends that loving kobolds and thinking they're cute lil fuckos and the absolute best is objectively correct so they stop making fun of me. My kobold love is not perverse kobolust.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Clearly find new (better) friends

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Josef bugman posted:

Oh I see you pulled 2 out of wis. Missed that, thought you were using standard array.

Are you planning to take a +1 cha feat at any stage? If not, might be more useful to start off with 18 cha (14 +2 +2). Then you can pump your wis to 12 (optimal option) or pump your str to 13 (not a real power move, but you seem to be interested in being a bit buffer than the average bear). On the other hand, there are some nice +cha tiefling racials in Xanathars (though if you start with 18 you can take two of them!)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 3, 2018

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

rumble in the bunghole posted:

would a demon value good or evil things higher?

There should be 2 systems. Evil things are valued higher for standard soul market. Good things are valued higher for sport.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If y'all mad about decks that make Legendary Monkey tokens, go gently caress yourselves, cause that's the best thing.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Average Bear posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/averagebearsa Today we are fighting Thanos with an erection.

does thanos have it or are you using it as a weapon because either way yikes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ok we got the cover for the adventure after Dragon Heist.

From levels 6 to 20.

Edit for Comparison the Dragon Heist cover. (It being levels 1 to 5.)

It appears the Thanos looking dude is Manshoon. (Or to be even more exact a clone.) It appears the other villains the DM can have the party face off against in Dragon Heist from the cover are Xanathar the Beholder, Jarlaxle the head of a Drow Mercenary company, and the Cassalanters some influential Waterdeep nobles.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 3, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Xanathar as in the author of XGtE? I don't know the in-game canon for XGtE, but I just sort of assumed someone able to write a book important enough to be the name of a real-life release would be stronger than a fair fight for a level 5 party. Although I just now looked up Volo and apparently he's a level 1 wizard in 5e, so...

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So did someone clue Wizards into the pathfinder model? Just split one adventure into as many books as you can.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elysiume posted:

Xanathar as in the author of XGtE? I don't know the in-game canon for XGtE, but I just sort of assumed someone able to write a book important enough to be the name of a real-life release would be stronger than a fair fight for a level 5 party. Although I just now looked up Volo and apparently he's a level 1 wizard in 5e, so...

I don't imagine you will actually fight Xanathar or Manshoon in Dragon Heist. Manshoon is an Archmage while Xanathar is a Beholder. I am also doubting on Jarlaxle. (Both because he is strong and he is not that evil.)

Volo however is a wuss and always has been.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't imagine you will actually fight Xanathar or Manshoon in Dragon Heist. Manshoon is an Archmage while Xanathar is a Beholder.

Volo however is a wuss and always has been.
Ah, you meant face off against their organizations, rather than the big bads themselves?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elysiume posted:

Ah, you meant face off against their organizations, rather than the big bads themselves?

I assume. I also don't think they could beat those guys at level 5. But who knows how it will work. As it appears the adventure is also going to be partially a setting guide for Waterdeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Half the villains on those covers are holding their hands the exact same way. Like they’ve just scratched their rear end and are checking to see if they found anything.