Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Hoppip line being cat orbs is objectively better and needs to be retconned back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tangela is cute but tangrowth is ugly they should make a new regional variant of tangrowth

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Stfu

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

tangela is cute but tangrowth is ugly they should make a new regional variant of tangrowth

jfc

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tangrowth isn't ugly! I just also like Jaranra.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
hold me back

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-space-world-1997-demo-for-pokemon-gold-has-leaked-online.45913/page-20#post-8652423

quote:

Whaaaat?
Sorry for the mess, but the forum is hard to read. You have to link all kinds of answers and quotes. What is all this history and coincidences between Ruins, letters, Hiroshima, nuclear war, everything
Doduos and doduo babies in the area, Ditto can also be found in the area, they would be exposed to radiation and would be the reason for the 3 heads of baby doduo. Sunflora also appears in the area and was initially psychic, the sunflowers was the only thing that grew after the radiation on Hiroshima. Place where the city is located is the same where Hiroshima is located in Japan, the ruins of the city are the alph ruins of unown and are similar to the ruins of Hiroshima in honor of the deceased, the engravings on the wall of the ruins . The sentences of the alph ruins puzzle are also very enlightening. The radio signal ... Ho-oh as the end of the story, the ultimate puzzle and its ability to resurrect ... everything fits. Gamefreak eliminated everything and only left the ruins and therefore have nothing to do in the final game. Surely it was eliminated by the success of the game in the rest of the world and its repercussion.
Octillery tank and soldier class was deleted.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Uuuuh... lmao.

Like not that Japan doesn't care about Hiroshima, that's grossly unfair, but they also don't put it in everything... sometimes a game for kids is just a game for kids?? 'Radiation is why doduo has two heads' it has two heads because it's a magical kickbird, it's not that hard.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Official, objectively correct Gen IV cross-gen Evolution rankings

Magnezone
Glaceon
Gallade
Mamoswine
Froslass
Roserade
Leafeon
Porygon-Z
Tangrowth
Honchkrow
Gliscor
Weavile
Dusknoir
Ambipom
Electivire
Yanmega
Lickilicky
Rhyperior
Togekiss
Magmortar
Probopass

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

Official, objectively correct Gen IV cross-gen Evolution rankings

Magnezone
Glaceon
Gallade
Mamoswine
Froslass
Roserade
Leafeon
Porygon-Z
Tangrowth
Honchkrow
Gliscor
Weavile
Dusknoir
Ambipom
Electivire
Yanmega
Lickilicky
Rhyperior
Togekiss
Magmortar
Probopass

You put the two best ones (Magnezone and Probopass) in opposite ends of the spectrum, thus making this list objectively wrong no matter the order.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

qnqnx posted:

You put the two best ones (Magnezone and Probopass) in opposite ends of the spectrum, thus making this list objectively wrong no matter the order.

theyre magnets, you have to keep them apart

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

electivire is so good but i wish he just had like two normal electabuzz tails

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Countblanc posted:

theyre magnets, you have to keep them apart

[The thinking emote]

oddium posted:

electivire is so good but i wish he just had like two normal electabuzz tails

It wouldn't be the same.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PetraCore posted:

Uuuuh... lmao.

Like not that Japan doesn't care about Hiroshima, that's grossly unfair, but they also don't put it in everything... sometimes a game for kids is just a game for kids?? 'Radiation is why doduo has two heads' it has two heads because it's a magical kickbird, it's not that hard.

At the very least the official Pokemon of the Hiroshima Pokemon Center is Red Gyarados. The specific Red Gyarados forced to evolve using electromagnetic waves.

So like...maybe?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

hold me back

i wont

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

why are you browsing res.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iylYxStrldA

I saw that theory pop up on 4chan and then someone linked the unknown radio broadcast. Using that information the drums do kinda sound like a geiger counter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

why are you browsing res.

Someone posted it in the games chat thread and I thought I would share it here.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

I haven't been in the thread in forever, and still haven't finished Moon because I'm the worst at focusing lately. (I bought UltraMoon and just went far enough to get the special Rockruff, so I have that.)

But I've decided Alolan Baby Meowth are real and adorable. Ignore my terrible blending.

Also if anyone has a spare Regigigas/Heatran Code, I'll trade you for this spare Entei/Raikou one I've got.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
On the one hand Tangrowth is Caveman Tangela and little rubber boots hadn't been invented. On the other hand give it some dang booties!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There were a lot of pokemon with multiple heads in the early days of the franchise

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Well, I guess what I'm saying is more that I don't think the Unown Ruins are supposed to be Hiroshima, they're supposed to be ancient ruins. The fact that they're in the same place as Hiroshima is in the beta probably isn't a coincidence, but I think it's a mistake to read the Ruins themselves as being about Hiroshima, especially when they were kept in the final game. It's also pretty silly to say that doduo and dodrio and the baby doduo are based on radiation, because while multiple-head mutations are a thing, pokemon is ABOUT strange and fantastical creatures.

Sorry I reacted so harshly, I hadn't actually looked at the thread, but the thing I was laughing at was the idea that Hiroshima was a major obvious thing in proto-Gold/Silver, rather than just something that was very important that happened in Japan and is going to impact their pop culture even generations later.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given how they were going out of their way to vaguely model maps after parts of japan i would be surprised if there wasn't at least some very mild nods to that somewhere. definitely don't think it goes any beyond that, though. i think people are just tired of the trend of trying to paint everything as being secretly a metaphor for some hosed up thing the entire time.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Vinylshadow posted:

There were a lot of pokemon with multiple heads in the early days of the franchise

What confuses me is if you are putting that in the ring to fight, why is the evil carnivorous head not the one facing the opponent?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Johnny Joestar posted:

given how they were going out of their way to vaguely model maps after parts of japan i would be surprised if there wasn't at least some very mild nods to that somewhere. definitely don't think it goes any beyond that, though. i think people are just tired of the trend of trying to paint everything as being secretly a metaphor for some hosed up thing the entire time.

Rhetoric is embedded in everything, whether it's concious or not.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Gen 4 and 5 sprites for Tangrowth were great, but the Gen 6 sprite sucks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

(Oh hi Arceus silhouette)

Slateport City is Nagasaki
Meanwhile over in Unova, Route 4, which is an arid desert, lines up with the World Trade Center site, and houses the ruins of Relic Castle
Here's all the information you'll ever need on the subject

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Dienes posted:

What confuses me is if you are putting that in the ring to fight, why is the evil carnivorous head not the one facing the opponent?

It's waiting for it's chance.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

When do we get mega wobbufett

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dienes posted:

For all its intimidation and bluster, it’s a total coward :3:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Girafarig's Hidden Ability is Intimidate and ones with it have their sprite flipped around to reflect the change

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

less laughter posted:

Nope, still Normal despite its evolution method.

I would imagine that some of the beta pokemon hadn't had their intended typings added in yet, such as why the Fish with the lightning bolt on its forehead and power icons for eyes is just a regular water type.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Star Man posted:

Rhetoric is embedded in everything, whether it's concious or not.

i mean, there's a wide gulf between 'they put in small details hinting at hiroshima' and 'pokemon gold and silver were intended to be spooky references to the horrors of nuclear warfare'

i'm saying it's probably the former

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pokemon Gold and Silver, but with Metal Gear Solid style live action montages while someone talks about the dangers of nuclear proliferation

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mean, there's a wide gulf between 'they put in small details hinting at hiroshima' and 'pokemon gold and silver were intended to be spooky references to the horrors of nuclear warfare'

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say. The former seems reasonable and even likely with the evidence presented, the latter just feels like trying to make Pokemon something it's tonally not and has never been.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is there a thread for Pokemon Showdown?
Or a goon group?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I was wondering why no one was posting about Pokemon Quest, and after playing it for ten minutes I now understand.

PetraCore posted:

Uuuuh... lmao.

See, I don't think that the early Pokemon games were as explicitly aimed at young children as the newer ones. Lavender town had a huge Pokemon graveyard with scary-rear end music where you battle the ghost of a Pokemon that was killed trying to protect its baby. Lt. Surge talks about he and his Pokemon both fighting in a war, meaning that there was a war where Pokemon killed other Pokemon and probably people. I wouldn't be so quick to write off a Hiroshima Pokemon theory, at least for RBY/GSC

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Johnny Joestar posted:

Oh, of course. You have to be able to argue what the meaning of that symbol is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

See, I don't think that the early Pokemon games were as explicitly aimed at young children as the newer ones. Lavender town had a huge Pokemon graveyard with scary-rear end music where you battle the ghost of a Pokemon that was killed trying to protect its baby. Lt. Surge talks about he and his Pokemon both fighting in a war, meaning that there was a war where Pokemon killed other Pokemon and probably people. I wouldn't be so quick to write off a Hiroshima Pokemon theory, at least for RBY/GSC

Pokemon was always oriented at children. The first generation just had kinks it hadn't quite ironed out yet, but ultimately, they were always intended for the same demographic, children.

If anything, Sun and Moon show the opposite, how they're willing to go for the adult fans as well in subtle ways, like the more aggresive or scary Pokedex entries or people literally talking about growing old and dying. Hell, ORAS had a whole optional part talking about how people's lives went to poo poo the moment they lost their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the old games had hornier writing while the new ones have hornier trainers