Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Found for 20 dollars at a little used bookstore in VA:

I’ve been waiting to find both Catch 22 and that particular NfU for not-crazy-Barnes-and-Noble-prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
catch 22 is still one of my favourite books

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Rolo posted:

that particular NfU
You're a sucker. Read absolutely any other version.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 3, 2018

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

P&V are absolutely fine you weirdo

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I am studying Russian literature for my master's and can say with confidence that they are actually bad.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm not stupid and I think they're fine so I guess we're at an impasse

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I like reading more obscure foreign authors than the Russians because there's usually only one English translation so you just have to deal with it rather than reading all the debates about which one is better

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Russian: — Да, Дмитрия Фёдоровича ещё не существует.
Literal translation: "Yes, of Dmitry Fyodorovich still not exists."
Actual meaning: "Yes, there is still no sign of Dmitry Fyodorovich."
Pevear and Volokhonsky: "Yes, Dmitri Fyodorovich doesn't exist yet."

The only possible way their version could make sense is if the Russian said "Дмитрий Фёдорович" (nominative) instead of "Дмитрия Фёдоровича" (genitive). Russian three-year-olds manage to avoid this kind of gently caress-up. Pevear and Volokhonsky blow it all the time because Pevear speaks English and a little Russian while Volokhonsky speaks Russian and a little English (their most strongly shared language is French), so they have to use a ridiculous system where Volokhonsky does a word-for-word translation from Russian that Pevear hammers into basically readable English. Since neither can check for the other's mistakes, you get idiocies like this.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 3, 2018

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the newest ryu murakami that got translated into english is good. i’m like halfway through and am liking that his usual cast of fuckups are now fighting against an army with lovely results.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

Found for 20 dollars at a little used bookstore in VA:

I’ve been waiting to find both Catch 22 and that particular NfU for not-crazy-Barnes-and-Noble-prices.

You got the book about Fitzgerald's tiny penis. nice!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Russian: — Да, Дмитрия Фёдоровича ещё не существует.
Literal translation: "Yes, of Dmitry Fyodorovich still not exists."
Actual meaning: "Yes, there is still no sign of Dmitry Fyodorovich."
Pevear and Volokhonsky: "Yes, Dmitri Fyodorovich doesn't exist yet."

The only possible way their version could make sense is if the Russian said "Дмитрий Фёдорович" (nominative) instead of "Дмитрия Фёдоровича" (genitive). Russian three-year-olds manage to avoid this kind of gently caress-up. Pevear and Volokhonsky blow it all the time because Pevear speaks English and a little Russian while Volokhonsky speaks Russian and a little English (their most strongly shared language is French), so they have to use a ridiculous system where Volokhonsky does a word-for-word translation from Russian that Pevear hammers into basically readable English. Since neither can check for the other's mistakes, you get idiocies like this.

I'm not denying that that's a dumb line, but you don't need to make up VOlokhonsky being not completely fluent in English to get your point across

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

This woman who has independently translated things from English into Russian has no ability to proofread her husband's work

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
If I was mistaken on that, fair enough. Doesn't change that they put out consistently bad work. There's no shortage of better translators to choose from.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tsar of love & techno is excellent so far, to whoever first brought it up

often reads too much like an american's idea of a russian novel (lots of grim and stoic pithiness) but the prose itself is still tight

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I saw this and vomited

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

J_RBG posted:

I saw this and vomited

gently caress me in the rear end.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

A human heart posted:

I like reading more obscure foreign authors than the Russians because there's usually only one English translation so you just have to deal with it rather than reading all the debates about which one is better

same. im reading Earth Dance by Oka Rusmini right now

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

J_RBG posted:

I saw this and vomited

Yeesh.

I actually actively covet a lot of the Penguin Classics Deluxe Editions, though. I'm hoping to redo my shelves with nicer editions of things I've already read and a lot of these covers are fun :shobon:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

J_RBG posted:

I saw this and vomited

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

lol

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I finished Molloy today after finishing Murphy a few weeks ago. From a book about craving with Murphy, with Molloy Beckett seems to have progressed to, "Well gently caress it, gently caress you, and gently caress me as well, sure why not."

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Mrenda posted:

I finished Molloy today after finishing Murphy a few weeks ago. From a book about craving with Murphy, with Molloy Beckett seems to have progressed to, "Well gently caress it, gently caress you, and gently caress me as well, sure why not."

It rules. I reread the trilogy last summer and it’s all stunning and bitter.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

J_RBG posted:

I saw this and vomited

That's badass.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

J_RBG posted:

I saw this and vomited

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

finally a way to get the rest of the subforum to read the classics

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have that edition of Jane Eyre and it feels like that art was meant for a totally different book.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Doc Fission posted:

Yeesh.

I actually actively covet a lot of the Penguin Classics Deluxe Editions, though. I'm hoping to redo my shelves with nicer editions of things I've already read and a lot of these covers are fun :shobon:

Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition of The Book of Common Prayer, with an introduction by James Wood!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

This is still the worst one by a mile

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition of The Book of Common Prayer, with an introduction by James Wood!

"Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition posted:

The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights, by John Steinbeck

Foreword by Christopher Paolini
lmao

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
it's real

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The hell

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Belgian posted:

You got the book about Fitzgerald's tiny penis. nice!

That’s what they’re all about!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
That whole series is so drat tasteless. Maybe they're aiming at the teenager market? Which would be legitimate and worthy—but then what teenager is going to look at The Picture of Dorian Grey and be like, check out these chic illustrations by Ruben Toledo!

e: And why make the Austen/Brontë covers so explicitly girly and exclude half your audience?

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 3, 2018

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

But then what teenager is going to look at The Picture of Dorian Grey and be like, check out these chic illustrations by Ruben Toledo!

Teenagers are actually exactly literally like that

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Doc Fission posted:

Yeesh.

Ive got a copy of dharma bums from this collection

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Crime and Punishment cover is good as hell

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Heath posted:

The Crime and Punishment cover is good as hell

agree to disagree

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I do not like confessing to the politsiya. I do not like it, Sofia-I-loveya.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

these all kick rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, let's have a literal heart on the cover of Heart of Darkness. You imbeciles. You leprous monsters.