Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah the first Skyline is meh at best but Beyond rules

I thought they were both pretty meh, but Beyond did have fight scenes so that was a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Agreed. I have Kingsman on blu ray and I was all set to buy the sequel too but I really have no desire to ever watch it again. The cardinal sin they committed was keeping Firth on the sidelines for like 95% of the movie.

Now I like Pedro Pascal, but there was so much Channing Tatum in the trailer and then he's barely in the film at all after his first scene, which was very disappointing. Firth just sitting around for most of his screentime was also disappointing; I remember my expectation being that Harry would have been brought back to life and brainwashed by Julianne Moore (who's also kind of wasted) who uses him as one of her henchmen. Colin Firth as a brainwashed and evil super-spy could have been fun. :shrug:

Matthew Vaughan is weird about sequels. I always get the impression that he approaches the first movie relatively conservatively because he isn't sure how far he can go and get away with it (Kingsman and Kick-rear end) and that usually works to the movie's advantage, but then he comes on to the sequel, he has fewer restrictions and doesn't filter all his ideas and it comes out bloated and messy (Kingsman 2 and Kick-rear end 2).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Kingsman 2 just has no energy for most of its run. Even big moments (like Merlin's sacrifice) have this languid feel. Elton John karate kicking someone felt pretty drat lifeless. I don't know how that happens.

Also, there just wasn't a big action scene even close to being on par with the first's centrepiece.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

I thought they were both pretty meh, but Beyond did have fight scenes so that was a plus.

I think it’s funny they turned the cgi Alien jered into a weird suit monster that looks bad.

I turned it off after that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got to watching Accident Man and thought it was pretty good; I'd have liked to have seen more set-ups for Adkins's character staging hits to make them look like accidents, but it was good for what it was. I believe it was compared to a Guy Ritchie movie earlier in this thread. I think that seems about right.

I always saw Vanishing Point, a car chase movie from 1971. I also liked it; I enjoyed all the nice shots of big open landscapes, which made it feel like a kind of gasoline western.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Vanishing Point is very good, and very much a reflection of its time. It's a bit like Easy Rider in that sense. The car stunts have a very real and wholesome feel to it too.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Man of Tai Chi was fun, thanks for the heads up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Vanishing Point is extremely good and I love all the movies from that period. They just have this very earthy vibe that I dig.

It's not an action film but Harry in Your Pocket is extremely cool. It's about pickpockets and it's very "lived in". Warning: as with most early 70s movies they treat women like poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Man of Tai Chi was fun, thanks for the heads up.

Weird that it's basically forgotten considering one of the biggest action stars in the business directed it. Maybe because it came out within a few years of some of the best action we've ever seen put to film(sandwiched between The Raid films, John Wick a year later) so it was overshadowed.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Now I like Pedro Pascal, but there was so much Channing Tatum in the trailer and then he's barely in the film at all after his first scene, which was very disappointing. Firth just sitting around for most of his screentime was also disappointing; I remember my expectation being that Harry would have been brought back to life and brainwashed by Julianne Moore (who's also kind of wasted) who uses him as one of her henchmen. Colin Firth as a brainwashed and evil super-spy could have been fun. :shrug:

Matthew Vaughan is weird about sequels. I always get the impression that he approaches the first movie relatively conservatively because he isn't sure how far he can go and get away with it (Kingsman and Kick-rear end) and that usually works to the movie's advantage, but then he comes on to the sequel, he has fewer restrictions and doesn't filter all his ideas and it comes out bloated and messy (Kingsman 2 and Kick-rear end 2).

Well Kick-rear end 2 was written and directed by Jeff Wadlow, who also directed True Memoirs of an International Assassin and Blumhouse's Truth or Dare.

I wish they would have done more with Harry's hallucinations and visual impairment, hopefully that'll still be a thing and they don't just wave it away for the third one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Weird that it's basically forgotten considering one of the biggest action stars in the business directed it. Maybe because it came out within a few years of some of the best action we've ever seen put to film(sandwiched between The Raid films, John Wick a year later) so it was overshadowed.

Yeah also I like Tiger Chen and he's a real talented and kinetic performer but he lacks a certain swagger or screen presence or danger, I don't know what it is. He just seems really nice even when he's in his Evil phase.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Vanishing Point is extremely good and I love all the movies from that period. They just have this very earthy vibe that I dig.

I think a lot of those movies are still in the shadow of spaghetti westerns. I associate that kind of early 70s action movie with directors like Don Siegel, Michael Winner, Sam Peckinpah and to an extent Walter Hill (I'm not sure when his directing career really took off - I think it might have been later - but he'd definitely been writing since the 60s) and obviously Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson as the stars.

A lot of them always remind me of Walter Hill's comments about how all his movies are westerns in some way, inasmuch as they're all these stripped down universes where the moral order emanates from some gunslinger protagonist. Dirty Harry or Death Wish remind me of westerns, except they're set in cities rather than frontier country.

In those days, your choices were either that stuff or James Bond movies (and there were kung fu and blaxploitation movies, of course, but they weren't as big).

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I've read about it, but never gotten around to seeing it. Keanu is a pretty big dude.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is The Magnificent Seven remake good?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Mediocre, nothing really memorable but not terrible either. But I'm not really a huge fan of the original.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

It's just kind of there. It's a movie with no reason to exist.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

If you value your time: no

If you're folding laundry or something: maybe?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

It has a really high bodycount.

Like really high.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Today a YouTube ad randomly started to show me the red band trailer for this new Blumhouse movie Upgrade, and it was the first time I was ever happy to see a random ad on YouTube. This thing looks sick, and it has all these horror people behind what seems to be an incredibly violent action/sci-fi movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hTLGlgZ4Z8

I just saw this. It's good! It takes a little bit to get going but once it's done you get some really loving fun fights. And the dude does a fantastic job of being in a very good choreograph fight while looking completely lost and distraught by what the rest of his body is doing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Neo Rasa posted:

I liked it, but I'm also basically going to like any western movie so maybe I'm not the best judge of it. :v:

I mean, there really was no reason to do a re-make but the cast is great and as a mentioned the body count is pretty ludicrous.

If you want to watch a movie that basically Death Wish done as a western you could do worse than track down The Salvation. I mean it is probably the only time you'd get to see Mads Mikkelsen kill Eric Cantona.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just saw this. It's good! It takes a little bit to get going but once it's done you get some really loving fun fights. And the dude does a fantastic job of being in a very good choreograph fight while looking completely lost and distraught by what the rest of his body is doing.

Yeah the lead does a really good job of physical acting once Stem takes over. A lot of very deliberate movements.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

If it's showing on cable on a weekend afternoon or it's on a plane, it's not the worst thing you could spend your time watching.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah the lead does a really good job of physical acting once Stem takes over. A lot of very deliberate movements.

Wait... that's NOT Tom Hardy? I saw the trailer a few months ago, and honestly thought he had picked up a low-budget "fun" movie between production days on Venom or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, the ending of Upgrade sure is out there. I assume it was one of the benefits of working with Blumhouse since there's no way it would have gotten through a regular studio.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Modern Leper posted:

Wait... that's NOT Tom Hardy? I saw the trailer a few months ago, and honestly thought he had picked up a low-budget "fun" movie between production days on Venom or something.

It's the curse of Logan Marshall-Green's career, very few people even know he exists because he's a Tom Hardy doppelganger.

He's the dude from Prometheus and The Invitation.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And Spider-Man Homecoming for a second! He’s the Shocker that gets vaporIzed.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
And the TV show Quarry where he returns from Vietnam and is convinced to do hits which was a good show and he's good in it, but I only made it about half way through for whatever reason.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Basebf555 posted:

It's the curse of Logan Marshall-Green's career, very few people even know he exists because he's a Tom Hardy doppelganger.

He's the dude from Prometheus and The Invitation.

Oh please, I seriously doubt he looks that much like-

*Googles Logan Marshall-Green*

Holy loving poo poo, that's Tom Hardy!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
We saw Upgrade earlier today and as we were walking out my wife asked me "Where was the part in the trailer where he was laying on the table screaming?" Took me a little bit to realize she was talking about the Venom trailer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

feedmyleg posted these in the Comic Book Thread, it's some small spoiler Marky D pics from John Wick 3.

http://hollywoodpipeline.com/Galler...A&galleryPage=1

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Does anyone know why BH Tilt and the other distributor haven't brought Upgrade to Canada? I was incredibly loving jazzed to see it and it's not showing here at all, anywhere, according to Cineplex and some people tweeting from across Canada.

I mean poo poo, it's going to Australia, what the gently caress is up? So disappointing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Penpal posted:

Does anyone know why BH Tilt and the other distributor haven't brought Upgrade to Canada? I was incredibly loving jazzed to see it and it's not showing here at all, anywhere, according to Cineplex and some people tweeting from across Canada.

I mean poo poo, it's going to Australia, what the gently caress is up? So disappointing.

Probably just not out yet? It's something new for BH so I wouldn't be surprised if they're staggering the release a little to see how it does, so they can pivot in other territories if US underperforms.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Penpal posted:

whannell is australian which probably helps. he got his start as a tedious adolescent dipshit reviewing movies on saturday morning tv, whenever i see him or hear his name it feels like a hangover

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Probably just not out yet? It's something new for BH so I wouldn't be surprised if they're staggering the release a little to see how it does, so they can pivot in other territories if US underperforms.

Naw I messaged Cineplex support and tweeted/DM'd them and they said they had no info at all, but would forward my message. Checking their site, where they have coming releases planned out until September, it was nowhere. It doesn't even have a movie page on their site.

Simply checking showtimes it's not there either. Not the next two weeks, at least, which would be the Australian premiere.

I guess it's not coming out here, at all, which is stuuupid. I love seeing micro-budget insane action movies in theatres, it definitely amped up Hardcore Henry.

Waiting until like late August for a digital copy is... disheartening. I am crestfallen :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was reading recently about how Indiana Jones originated partly because Steven Spielberg had really wanted to direct a James Bond movie but Eon kept turning him down, so George Lucas said, "We'll make our own, but better!" and that James Bond was always a big influence on Indiana Jones.

It got me thinking, what if Harrison Ford had decided he didn't want to do another one after Raiders, but in the spirit of James Bond they decided they're recast the role and keep going, the result being that they'd recast Harrison Ford and hire new directors and screenwriters every few years. Who would've been cool in a world where that had happened?

I could definitely see Zemeckis doing one.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I watched Shakedown last night, thinking it would be a typical 80s buddycop movie with badguys being blasted away non stop.

It wasn't quite that.

This is the plot summary from wikipedia.

quote:

Roland Dalton (Weller) is a burned-out, mild-mannered Manhattan public defender, and his last case before leaving legal aid is crack dealer Michael Jones (Richard Brooks), accused of shooting to death police officer Patrick O'Leary in Central Park. According to Jones, the shooting was in self-defense and that officer O'Leary was a 'Blue Jean Cop' (an opportunistic police officer who robs drug dealers).

Being a 'creature of habit', Dalton seeks the truth to his mysterious case and looks to Richie Marks (Sam Elliott), a renegade loner NYPD narcotics agent. Dalton realizes the prosecutor in his last case is a former love interest, the smart and sexy Susan Cantrell (Patricia Charbonneau). Throughout the trial Roland rekindles this former affair with Susan unbeknown to his fiancée Gail (Blanche Baker).

Roland and Marks eventually learn that O'Leary was working with a large number of dirty cops who purchased blue jeans and an expensive car. The dirty cops were working with drug lord Nicky 'N.C.' Carr (Antonio Fargas). Roland at one point breaks into the police station's evidence locker to locate the cassette tape that Jones had in a boom box radio at the time of his shooting. The tape recorded the entire incident and when Roland attempts to get the tape he is taken hostage by the team of dirty cops. Just before Roland is going to be killed, Marks bursts into the room and shoots the cops, saving Roland.

Although Roland makes it to court, with the assistance of an insane cab driver (Tom Mardirosian) the judge refuses to allow the tape into evidence. After making an impassioned closing statement, the jury acquits Jones of the shooting. Marks then shows up in a Porsche purchased by O'Leary and they go to the airport to hunt down Carr and the last of the dirty cops. Richie jumps onto the planes landing gear and after shooting out an engine and tossing a hand grenade into the landing gear compartment, he jumps to safety just as the plane explodes.

The movie ends with Roland again working as a public defender, he's broken up with Gail and is once again dating Susan.

This leaves out an entire bit where Sam Elliot and 3 dirty cops are using an informer to bust into Carr's nightclub and after he made bail he sent Bari K. Willerford who is this insane muscle/hitman to a hotel in the middle of New York and electrocutes that same informer by pulling out two big wires directly from a junction box with his bare hands and applying them to the bed posts that the informer is handcuffed to (he was having a bdsm thing with a prostitute).
Then he runs outside and pulls a machine pistol out of his coat to shoot the cops that showed up and after he ran out of bullets he killed two more with throwing knifes that were shot out of some spider-man like contraption strapped to his forearms. Then he takes off in the police car, so Sam Elliot and Peter Weller steals a threewheeled motorbike from a randomly passing group of bikers and they go after him. Elliot is driving and Weller is shooting the most impossibly huge magnum from the backseat and this is a long chase through New York.
It ends with the cop car going over some half-finished highway bridge and landing on the roof with the motorcycle following it down (the two heroes had of course jumped off), so Sam Elliot first shoots the motorcycle ONCE making it explode as the bad guy is crawling out of the overturned car and then he shoots the car ONCE making it explode. Finally killing the monster.

It was the most insane scene in the entire movie. Until the end where they casually blow up the jet with a hand grenade.

The rest was kinda boring really. Sam Elliot ends up killing a few dirty cops (David Proval being one) and it was fun seeing a young John C. McGinley as a very 80s lawyer. Richard Brooks was very good as the drug dealer that got shot too.

The movie portrayed late 80s New York as a dirty hell hole swimming in drugs and basically people were stepping on crack vials everywhere so in that sense it almost felt like some of the action/vigilante stuff from the 70s where everything is grimy and dirty.

So unless you have a huge yearning for 80s clothes and hair and some casual prison rape jokes, its not really worth watching it.

I was just really hoping for Sam Elliot to go nuts and kill people. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed Accident Man so I've been looking into other Atkins stuff to check out. Problem is, a lot of it seems to be mirco-budget amateurish crap. I tried to watch Close Range but I just couldn't get into it because of how terrible the production values are.

Has he starred in anything else that had a Accident Man level budget? What about Ninja and Ninja II?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I like Ninja 2 but it's a got a cheapo look to it as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I like Ninja 2 but it's a got a cheapo look to it as well.

What about the Undisputed sequels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

What about the Undisputed sequels?

Holy poo poo yeah. That's tops. Undisputed 2, Undisputed 3, and Undisputed Boyeka (not as good but still worth a watch)

It's basically Adkin's Indiana Jones, he clearly loves playing the dude and he's honestly great at it.