Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

It was hilariously bad.

Precisely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Precisely!

Halp sexy brain doctor, our very rich costumers are stuck in our probably illegal video game.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

Halp sexy brain doctor, our very rich costumers are stuck in our probably illegal video game.

Sexy brain detective tyvm

lmfao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Reverie was just boring to me, and it was funny watching them fast-forward through the exposition

like why not just start the show with her already on a mission in media res and then over the course of the pilot you reveal the premise

instead it's just presented in the most boring way

a series about invading other people's lucid dreams is boring lmao

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

sometimes a radical problem.... needs a radical solution

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

esperterra posted:

How is Family Vacation? I unabashedly love the reality schlock the original Jersey Shore was, but I haven't checked out the revival at all yet.

It's kind of strange in that to me they by and large don't seem like those people these days. They go out and get wasted because production wants them to but it doesn't feel, for lack of a better term 'natural'. I guess it comes with some of them having families and naturally growing up. As loathe at I am to say it, The Situation comes across as likeable. Pauly D and Vinny do make a legitimately funny double act though.

However, the one great black mark is Ronnie who continues to be an utter piece of poo poo who obsesses over an ex that he split up with like 10 years ago and will not stop talking about at every opportunity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ronnie is one of the most depressingly tragic figures in popular culture, like, ever

Seriously holy poo poo

Like go back and watch season 1 where he was briefly "the one that seems kind of normal"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Does anyone ever get the sense that The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt tends to verge of the edge of being quite sad, but never quite goes there? Maybe it's all the oboe music, which always makes me think sad things are gonna happen.

Regardless, the new (PART! OF! A!) season is very, very funny. I thought the fifth episode -- the one with the play -- was the funniest things I've seen in ages.

(How's new Archer btw? Still the same fume huffing that's been going on for a while, or a return to form? Or something different entirely?)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, they had PINKERTONS on set for security?

I feel like I missed a huge part of American history here.
https://newrepublic.com/article/147619/pinkertons-still-never-sleep

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

precision posted:

Reverie was just boring to me, and it was funny watching them fast-forward through the exposition

like why not just start the show with her already on a mission in media res and then over the course of the pilot you reveal the premise

instead it's just presented in the most boring way

a series about invading other people's lucid dreams is boring lmao

Reverie is extremely mainstream tv in terms of needing to explain everything that's going on to the viewer and even recapping things in case someone just tuned in. Also very melodramatic.

That said I would watch Sarah Shahi read the phone book even if she looks like she got some post baby cosmetic surgery. And it's always good to see The Greatest Fiction President, David Palmer aka Snake Doctor back on my screen. There wasn't really any 'evil shadow conspiracy stuff' setup in the first episode and it seems like maybe the plot will be somewhat character driven.

It was kind of fun though, even though they didn't really take the premise that far. I'll give them a couple episodes to see if the serialized aspects of the show are interesting at all; because so far they aren't.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PaybackJack posted:

Reverie is extremely mainstream tv in terms of needing to explain everything that's going on to the viewer and even recapping things in case someone just tuned in. Also very melodramatic.

That said I would watch Sarah Shahi read the phone book even if she looks like she got some post baby cosmetic surgery. And it's always good to see The Greatest Fiction President, David Palmer aka Snake Doctor back on my screen. There wasn't really any 'evil shadow conspiracy stuff' setup in the first episode and it seems like maybe the plot will be somewhat character driven.

It was kind of fun though, even though they didn't really take the premise that far. I'll give them a couple episodes to see if the serialized aspects of the show are interesting at all; because so far they aren't.

It reminded me a lot of Falling Water. I'm sure the conspiracy is on it's way.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Was the last season of the Americans any good? It was a struggle for me to get through last season, and that was watching it weekly. Not sure if I'll have it in me to go through all ten episodes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

Was the last season of the Americans any good? It was a struggle for me to get through last season, and that was watching it weekly. Not sure if I'll have it in me to go through all ten episodes.

This season was far superior to the previous one.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Open Source Idiom posted:

(How's new Archer btw? Still the same fume huffing that's been going on for a while, or a return to form? Or something different entirely?)

I've been watching out of inertia, the last two episodes seem to have some of the old spark. The archer thread started out somewhat negative,but it's the penultimate season so I don't care.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ego-bot posted:

It is better than last, but to be honest you could skip to the last 3 or 4 episodes and not really miss a beat.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
After delaying the premiere a few months ago due to the Stoneman Douglas shooting, the Paramount Network has decided to pull the plug entirely on their new Heathers reboot show, which has already filmed its entire first season and written most of its second season. The show is going to be shopped to other networks.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/heathers-reboot-scrapped-at-paramount-network-anthology-will-be-shopped-1116439

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahah the Marie Antoinette Heathers season sounds great.

it sucks a whole season of TV that was written and shot may not air but didn’t they do a thing where in this reboot the Heathers were like progressive types? which sounds just awful.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I take it Paramount would not be like Netflix and be okay with a kid going to his high school with an assault rifle.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A Heathers reboot where Marie Antoinette is the main Heather sounds way more my jam than the take the first season took. Which was a take I would have been fine with if it wasn't cribbing the entire plot from the original and instead doing more of its own thing.

e: that said I'll probably still watch it if another network picks it up.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh god the Houseflix documentary in the new Kimmy Schmidt season is so good. I love this little show.

"Richard Wayne Gary Wayne was sentenced to three counts of white kidnapping and one count of "Opsi! No bueno!"

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 3, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was cool but a bit of a punch in the guts that of 6 episodes, we really only get 5. Would’ve been better as a new season teaser (altho obv it fits into the episode structure, which would’ve made that tricky).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked it conceptually but in practice I would have preferred half an hour of the usual show.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Lycus posted:

I take it Paramount would not be like Netflix and be okay with a kid going to his high school with an assault rifle.

Except that’s also a Paramount TV show you’re referring to

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zypher posted:

Except that’s also a Paramount TV show you’re referring to

I'm a tad bewildered then.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
You’re probably allowed to be a little less skittish when you don’t have to deal with advertisers.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I liked it conceptually but in practice I would have preferred half an hour of the usual show.
You're crazy, that episode was fantastic.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

BrandonGK posted:

You’re probably allowed to be a little less skittish when you don’t have to deal with advertisers.

True.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You're crazy, that episode was fantastic.

Some people are weird about stuff "advancing the plot" instead of just being funny, I guess.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 3, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

Some people are weird about stuff "advancing the plot" instead of just being funny, I guess.

Hi! I’m the guy your post is about. No, actually it’s because although it was quite funny I found the other episodes of the season funnier, and given that there were only six I would have preferred another one to this. I mean my favourite joke related to it was Titus being dressed as Kimmy and that was in the episode after.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/LuciferonFOX/status/1001303255903752197

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahah the Marie Antoinette Heathers season sounds great.

it sucks a whole season of TV that was written and shot may not air but didn’t they do a thing where in this reboot the Heathers were like progressive types? which sounds just awful.

I guess the pilot isn't online anymore, but it was actually very good and funny and way less eyerolly than the trailer made it look.

If the reason they're not showing the rest of it really is that people watched it and sincerely took away the message "this show is making fun of liberals" then their brains are broken beyond repair. The show was making fun of anyone who values the public opinion poll than any kind of actual belief system. The "progressives" in the remake weren't actual progressives, they were using the language and comfort of the progressive bubble to inflict pain and misery on others, even others who didn't deserve it.

It also had the two gay football players, but in this version, everyone loved them and nobody cared that they were gay. It was awesome.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I’m super happy quantico got cancelled. It’s very bad this season.

I liked the first season don’t @ me

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Catching up on The Expanse through Amazon, did they really let that many fbombs go durong broadcast

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Catching up on The Expanse through Amazon, did they really let that many fbombs go durong broadcast

No, there's alternate dialogue for the SF aired version.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't get why -- the Magicians, Happy!, Blood Drive, and Van Helsing are all uncensored.

Edit: Maybe one of their ad sponsors comes from a flyover state or something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Expanse is extremely censored. Happy! and Magicians let motherfuckers and cunts drop like mad. It's super weird.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's especially weird b/c the only other normal TV channel that airs it, afaik, is Space in Canada where it airs uncensored. So it's not even like they were covering their bases for other broadcast networks.

Do those other shows air live uncensored or are they uncensored after the fact? So weird if there's such a big diff between shows on the same network lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Magicians wasn't, or at least wasn't always. They did that thing where they bleep out like the "ck" in "gently caress" or something and its so small that you kind fill in the blank and "hear" the word. And then they advertise "uncensored" versions on demand and on line and its just the full words. They might have let it fly this past season but I really don't remember.

I think Blood Drive and Happy! actually just cursed and mostly didn't bother editing but they were really raunchy shows that seemed to have advertising issues. Like, there had to be a reason Happy! aired with limited commercials and I doubt it was a good one.

I don't know about Expanse since I don't think I've seen it on air.

I think the main difference is that a show like Magicians makes the choice to just say a ton of curses and then go through and edit "clean" bleeped versions, while most shows just actively avoid the words entirely since they know they aren't going to air them or if they do write them in they're done in a way that is very conscious that they're going to get blanked out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We’ve talked about this before. This last season of Magicians was completely uncensored on Syfy even live. I DVR everything and none of the curses were dropped.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I said, I watched most of the last season online so I defer to you on that. I just know the first couple of seasons had their separate online "uncensored" versions.

Maybe Magicians cutting lose and going uncensored is just them deciding that their audience is cool with it and they're not going to be drawing anyone new to complain. But the Happy! (and Blood Drive?) stuff does give me reason to wonder if its a bad sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The network's official policy at this point is to leave things uncensored. Why 'The Expanse' is censored still is anyone's guess but nothing about Syfy's strategy with 'The Expanse' has made sense.

https://www.avclub.com/the-fucks-are-prepared-to-fly-on-syfy-and-usa-1822642302