Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

source your quotes

he's right tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If he’s right he should have no problem producing verifiable trustworthy sources then

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

Lowtax himself showed the stats for registration a while ago and new regs dropped off a cliff right after GBS 2.0 was instituted when before it was quite healthy, like a couple thousand new members a year for a couple of years before October 2013 and then it just utterly nosedived because surprisingly nobody wanted to pay :10bux: for a site that let hateful assholes run around unpunished, especially when up until that point SA was renowned for being one of the few places that actually banned people for that. They eventually cracked down on the assholes but the damage already had been long done and the site will probably never recover from it.

I also was around for all this first hand so its pretty rich when certain goons just stick their fingers in the ears, ignore the elephant in the room, and just blame Twitter and Facebook for taking all the new members away. (Even though this site was still healthy when Facebook and Twitter had already established themselves.)

I could be wrong, but I thought the drop in registrations started somewhere in like 2010 or 2011. I don't care enough to look into it though. I've been here since 2001 and it seems to come and go in cycles.

edit:
may have even been like 2008 or so. We've been a "dying" forum basically since Reddit took off.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Solice Kirsk posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought the drop in registrations started somewhere in like 2010 or 2011. I don't care enough to look into it though. I've been here since 2001 and it seems to come and go in cycles.

edit:
may have even been like 2008 or so. We've been a "dying" forum basically since Reddit took off.
You're not wrong about that at all, but the drop around 2009 was more of the site leaving its zenith behind and just settling into a stable constant; the glory days were past but the site was still chugging along with new blood. GBS 2.0 killed that constant that had been going for like four years.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If Lowtax would just bring back SADCHUB we'd be right back in this thing!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

oldpainless posted:

If he’s right he should have no problem producing verifiable trustworthy sources then

Yeah, how does he ever expect to get this forums post peer-reviewed?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Was "GBS 2.0" the change that resulted in the immediate murder of the Hellbastard and Crimbo threads or was that some other GBS Revamp

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

oldpainless posted:

We are talking about dead gay forums history not writing a dissertation about it

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
actually it's because people are no longer punished for posting animes outside of the anime ghetto. Imho there seems to be a strong correlation between lovely posters and ainme posters.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

When was the last time last time, post GBS 2.0, that GBS produced something like pppppowerbook, or Zombaby, or margarita machine, or sending Joe Biden a pizza, or the Burger King one that spawned "voila, enjoy your mustard smear"? Hell, it's been a minute since we had a Kevin the doll fucker or June the planefucker thread over there.

Every time Im bored and caught up with my bookmarked pages, and I check in over there, it's just stupid monkey cheese threads with page after page of "I'm gay". Every now and again there's a decent photoshop thread, and I always enjoy the annual hurricane hoedown (Jose's saga last year was great). But unless I see a link in the subs I actually hang out in, I haven't clicked on GBS just to browse in quite some time. Which sucks for building a user base, because if all the useful and/or funny stuff is hidden behind the paywall, that's just bad news for these dead gay forums. I used to browse GBS all the time before regging, but if I did now, I sure as poo poo wouldn't pay $10 based on GBS content alone.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I Said No posted:

Was "GBS 2.0" the change that resulted in the immediate murder of the Hellbastard and Crimbo threads or was that some other GBS Revamp

That was the one. It needed to happen because GBS had become an almost-unreadable outrage megathread generator but it should've been handled waaay better and reined in faster than it was.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

JacquelineDempsey posted:

When was the last time last time, post GBS 2.0, that GBS produced something like pppppowerbook, or Zombaby, or margarita machine, or sending Joe Biden a pizza, or the Burger King one that spawned "voila, enjoy your mustard smear"? Hell, it's been a minute since we had a Kevin the doll fucker or June the planefucker thread over there.

Every time Im bored and caught up with my bookmarked pages, and I check in over there, it's just stupid monkey cheese threads with page after page of "I'm gay". Every now and again there's a decent photoshop thread, and I always enjoy the annual hurricane hoedown (Jose's saga last year was great). But unless I see a link in the subs I actually hang out in, I haven't clicked on GBS just to browse in quite some time. Which sucks for building a user base, because if all the useful and/or funny stuff is hidden behind the paywall, that's just bad news for these dead gay forums. I used to browse GBS all the time before regging, but if I did now, I sure as poo poo wouldn't pay $10 based on GBS content alone.

I try to make some content threads (like Star Trek doodles and original-character-do-not-steal-dragons) but honestly people also just rush in and out and barely look at or support anyone who is making anything new. There was a time when "request a doodle of Star Trek thing and I'll do it" would have been something more than like 3 goons would get excited about. If we had :moments: now it would just be shitted into the ground day one.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Accordion Man posted:

You're not wrong about that at all, but the drop around 2009 was more of the site leaving its zenith behind and just settling into a stable constant; the glory days were past but the site was still chugging along with new blood. GBS 2.0 killed that constant that had been going for like four years.

GBS 2.0 also led to a rise of "everything is bad, you're bad. this all sucks, stop caring" low-effort trolling in the specific interest forums. And sure, there are plenty of dumb threads and cliques on the forum worth mocking, but when you just want to talk about whatever your nerd obsession is harmlessly, antics like that must make a subreddit with a lower bullshit tolerance or twitter where you can block obnoxious tweets a lot more appealing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I have a question about an avatar I keep seeing, but it’s a little hard to parse. It’s a white man with black hair holding something in each of his hands, and he’s licking the thing in his right hand. I always thought the thing he is licking was some sort of root vegetable, but looking closer, it might be a foot. The thing in his left hand is maybe some kind of condiment, like soy sauce or something.

EDIT:I found it. Forgot a few details. The guy has brown hair and a black leather cap, it's definitely a foot, and the thing in his left hand looks more like a soda, actually. What's up with this?

Ariong has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Jun 3, 2018

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I do it, major effort threads. The last one was, ahem, a mistake, but eh, still going to make them. Next one is a week and a half or two weeks out because it will take me that long to make it.

E: I've found GBS to be totally receptive to major effort threads, but they are super rare now. They do take hours to prep and not many have that kind of spare time.

spinderella has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Jun 3, 2018

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

GBS 2.0 also led to a rise of "everything is bad, you're bad. this all sucks, stop caring" low-effort trolling in the specific interest forums. And sure, there are plenty of dumb threads and cliques on the forum worth mocking, but when you just want to talk about whatever your nerd obsession is harmlessly, antics like that must make a subreddit with a lower bullshit tolerance or twitter where you can block obnoxious tweets a lot more appealing.

It did have one positive effect on other subforums and that was the relaxing of rules. A lot of them had really lengthy subforum specific rules but the GBS 2.0 thing seemed to kind of result in those becoming more like "read the forum rules, also here's two or three pointers about this subforum in specific" instead. Which probably made both moderating and posting easier in those subforums.

I dunno if this actually was directly because of GBS tho - I might've just conflated two things together just because they happened around the same time but whatever

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Last I remember was the everest threads, but they got slammed down by crybabies complaining about people betting on the mountain's kill count. Who cares about rich dumbasses spending tens of thousands of dollars to hike into a well documented death trap?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ruflux posted:

It did have one positive effect on other subforums and that was the relaxing of rules. A lot of them had really lengthy subforum specific rules but the GBS 2.0 thing seemed to kind of result in those becoming more like "read the forum rules, also here's two or three pointers about this subforum in specific" instead. Which probably made both moderating and posting easier in those subforums.

I dunno if this actually was directly because of GBS tho - I might've just conflated two things together just because they happened around the same time but whatever

I think that was a result of a bunch of the legacy admins leaving. I don’t remember if that and GBS 2.0 were related. Basically Ozma had really bad taste in mods.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Outrail posted:

Last I remember was the everest threads, but they got slammed down by crybabies complaining about people betting on the mountain's kill count. Who cares about rich dumbasses spending tens of thousands of dollars to hike into a well documented death trap?

Cry more about people not wanting dead body pics on sa

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Cry more about people not wanting dead body pics on sa

Is that the specific problem? Coz I'm sure mods could say something like 'don't post dead bodies' or something crazy like that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ruflux posted:

The forums have gotten way more relaxed when it comes to punctuation and capitalization, which is fine because that was stupid as hell. Other stuff like emptyquotes, one-word replies, or image-only replies still get short probation sometimes, depending on the forum and mod. I think it was a gradual trickle-down from GBS 2.0, but should've definitely happened anyway

Mods have also become way lighter with probations/bans than before, but more likely to hand out a lot of sixers before escalating to week-long or month-long probes. That part is a bit of a a mixed bag

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:nws:/:nms: the dead body pics and label them. Problem solved.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Spinster posted:

I do it, major effort threads. The last one was, ahem, a mistake, but eh, still going to make them. Next one is a week and a half or two weeks out because it will take me that long to make it.

E: I've found GBS to be totally receptive to major effort threads, but they are super rare now. They do take hours to prep and not many have that kind of spare time.

I think the forums at large are open to effort posting but there was a pretty long period where anything other than :effort: was poo poo on so I think most people are hesitant to do it. Personally I'd rather read really bad posts where people are actually trying rather than one of people repeating the same few jokes endlessly or mistaking being as crude as possible as being funny.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I think the forums at large are open to effort posting but there was a pretty long period where anything other than :effort: was poo poo on so I think most people are hesitant to do it. Personally I'd rather read really bad posts where people are actually trying rather than one of people repeating the same few jokes endlessly or mistaking being as crude as possible as being funny.

Turn your monitor on!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I mean you do have to remember that a big chunk of registrations were exclusively for let’s play. Most of the let’s play type folks just stream now

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

:allears:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fool_of_sound posted:

I mean you do have to remember that a big chunk of registrations were exclusively for let’s play. Most of the let’s play type folks just stream now

Man, the dangan ronpa lps were a strange but amusing time to be on the forums

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Spinster posted:

Fwiw, when I was scratching my head trying to think of exceptions, your threads came to mind, but I failed to mention them. I do apologize, fellow old woman. In fairness, though, I typically only see yours when I decide to check the goldmine to see the latest funny. It's just not worth wading through rivers of GBS poo poo to pan for gold when I've got much better subs that consistently inform and amuse me.

That's just my 2 cents, I got no dog in this fight except I hate to think about subs like GWS or AI disappearing because GBS can't bring home the :10bux: like it used to to support the forums.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Accordion Man posted:

Lowtax himself showed the stats for registration over time a while ago and new regs dropped off a cliff right after GBS 2.0 was instituted when before it was quite healthy, like a couple thousand new members a year for a couple of years before October 2013 and then it just utterly nosedived because surprisingly nobody wanted to pay :10bux: for a site that lets hateful, bigoted assholes run around unpunished, especially when up until that point SA was renowned for being one of the few places that actually banned people for that. They eventually cracked down on most of the assholes but the damage already had been long done and the site will probably never recover from it because it ruined SA's reputation.

I also was around for all this first hand so its pretty rich when certain goons just stick their fingers in the ears, ignore the elephant in the room, and just blame Twitter and Facebook for taking all the new members away. (Even though this site was still healthy when Facebook and Twitter had already established themselves.)

All of this is wrong, I'm sorry.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Paladinus posted:

All of this is wrong, I'm sorry.
You really weren't paying attention then, actively ignoring it, or weren't even here before it happened. I browsed GBS a bunch prior to that but then I stopped when it essentially just became /pol/. I saw people just completely drop the site because the moderation did nothing to stop the outright bigotry that was running rampant back then. They let all the proto-CHUDs fester instead of just banning them like they should have and they destroyed pretty much all the sense of community this site had, which despite any flaws it had actually drew people to the site; its what brought me here for example and I doubt I was an outlier.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Jun 4, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Accordion Man posted:

You really weren't paying attention then, actively ignoring it, or weren't even here before it happened. I browsed GBS a bunch prior to that but then I stopped when it essentially just became /pol/. I saw people just completely drop the site because the moderation did nothing to stop the outright bigotry that was running rampant back then. They let all the proto-CHUDs fester instead of just banning them like they should have and they destroyed pretty much all the sense of community this site had, which despite any flaws it had actually drew people to the site; its what brought me here for example and I doubt I was an outlier.

Nope.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

SomethingAwful was at its very peak when it was at its most racist and socially lovely. Twin Towers gifs were hilarious (?), and threads were dedicated to mocking fat, disabled, and brown people. Reddit became arguably the biggest social force on the planet mostly through a policy of letting people be absolute scumbags, and still thrives on that, today. People being assholes is not the reason this site is dying.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

SomethingAwful was at its very peak when it was at its most racist and socially lovely. Twin Towers gifs were hilarious (?), and threads were dedicated to mocking fat, disabled, and brown people. Reddit became arguably the biggest social force on the planet mostly through a policy of letting people be absolute scumbags, and still thrives on that, today. People being assholes is not the reason this site is dying.
Agreed, we need to be more like Reddit.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Agreed, we need to be more like Reddit.

Whoa... I'm not saying that. Holy poo poo am I not saying that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But they're so successful!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The internet that allowed Something Awful at its height to create masterpieces of nihilistic humor like tribute.wmv no longer exists. We can't go home anymore and we need to accept it.

Likewise the "SJWs" we mocked in 2013 for being humorless moral scolds turned out, in hindsight, to be waaaaaaay less obnoxious and societally damaging than the CHUD brigades that we didn't realize existed beyond the confines of YouTube comments sections.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Jun 4, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That’s what you said, I read it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The internet that allowed Something Awful at its height to create masterpieces of nihilistic humor like tribute.wmv no longer exists. We can't go home anymore and we need to accept it.

It's this.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

I should clarify by saying that I liked what SA was turning into around the early part of the decade when I first started lurking and eventually when I joined; it wasn't a bunch of teenagers trying to be desperately edgy like a lot of the places around the net, it was a relatively chill place where people that weren't teenagers anymore would just crack jokes and shoot the poo poo about stuff without being raging assholes. And even then any dark humor tended to at least try to be funny unlike after 2013 where it was just vitriol; people really tried back then instead of being instantly shot down by miserable unfunny shitposters. There were definitely problems back then but nothing that couldn't be fixed without burning it all to the ground like what actually happened. I honestly think that if the up-tightness was held back some but mostly everything was still the same this site could have evolved with the times and still would have maintained its spirit of mocking dumb Internet poo poo and still have been decently active. You can still be funny and irreverent without constantly alienating people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
I've been posting on this website for nineteen years and I never seen any of this crap.