Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I didn't know what the problem was until I looked at the loving Cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
idgi

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The heraldric shield thing has a giant SS Deaths Head on it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

And here I just thought it was a neat skull. That'll show me.

Has anyone made an Ork truck with nutz? Only the nutz are skulls and/or space marine helmets.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh. Ok. I'm clearly not up on my full range of iconography.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It doesn’t even match the visual style of the rest of the model though?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

For reference.

E: The totenkopf skull sometimes slips through since most people just see a skull and crossbones. Which lead to a very memorable product recall.

moths fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 3, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It looks badly photoshopped if anything. The white doesn't even match.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

goatface posted:

It looks badly photoshopped if anything. The white doesn't even match.

Either that or it was commission painted and then later "upgraded" by the owner.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TTerrible posted:

Either that or it was commission painted and then later "upgraded" by the owner.

It wouldn’t have the FLG frame then though?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

It wouldn’t have the FLG frame then though?

No idea what the context of the picture is. Might not be an FLG commission, could be something from one of their events. No idea, I haven't reverse image searched it or anything. :shrug:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
are we the baddies?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It showed up on FLG's Imperial Knight Codex review. So yeah, they're aware of it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

:kiss:

:thejoke:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Len posted:

And here I just thought it was a neat skull. That'll show me.

Has anyone made an Ork truck with nutz? Only the nutz are skulls and/or space marine helmets.

GW has this on their website

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

It showed up on FLG's Imperial Knight Codex review. So yeah, they're aware of it.

:wtf:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

They probably just don't know the origin of the skull.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
To be fair, the skull-and-crossed-bones symbol has been an emblem of cavalry units dating back to the Napoleonic era. All German tankers had the skull-and-crossed-bones pins on their lapel tabs. But it's easy to confuse it with the Totenkopf division, especially if you're unaware of the symbol's earlier use. That confusiuon (and the resulting backlash) is what led to the re-design of the front cover of TFL's "What a Tanker" rulebook.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ilor posted:

To be fair, the skull-and-crossed-bones symbol has been an emblem of cavalry units dating back to the Napoleonic era. All German tankers had the skull-and-crossed-bones pins on their lapel tabs. But it's easy to confuse it with the Totenkopf division, especially if you're unaware of the symbol's earlier use. That confusiuon (and the resulting backlash) is what led to the re-design of the front cover of TFL's "What a Tanker" rulebook.

I find it extremely difficult to give people the benefit of the doubt with regards to the Totenkopf in TYOOL 2018.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TTerrible posted:

I find it extremely difficult to give people the benefit of the doubt with regards to the Totenkopf in TYOOL 2018.
...which is exactly why TFL decided to take a not-Totenkopf-but-could-be-confused-as-such-by-people-ignorant-of-history off their product.

EDIT: It's all about context. You don't punch a Shingon Buddhist in the face for "wearing a swastika."

Ilor fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 3, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ilor posted:

That's not really relevant seeing as that skull on crossbones on the knight is literally just the nazi one.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Have some non-nazi orcs that missed leg day.

These make me feel uncomfortable.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

TTerrible posted:

Doing a reverse image search they painted it in 2014 at the latest. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they just got sent a decal for a commission they didn't know the history of.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ilor posted:

That particular skull deign was created specifically for the SS. There have been a lot of totenkopfen in history, they can use one of those and it's no problem.

That said, I don't think it was intentional.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, I'd assume the majority of people would think it was just yet another skull and crossbones and not recognize it as a nazi symbol.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I was going to post about the need to rescue some classic german symbology from Nazis when this first was posted. So I was looking for older examples of the symbol.

"Oh", I said.

"...oooooh."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ilor posted:

EDIT: It's all about context. You don't punch a Shingon Buddhist in the face for "wearing a swastika."

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I'd assume the majority of people would think it was just yet another skull and crossbones and not recognize it as a nazi symbol.

The context is a wargaming hobby. That combined with the fact it really isn't a traditional skull & crossbones and we're well into the realm of looking and quacking like a duck.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

FLG pulled the image, but someone in the comments had to leave this gem:

quote:

Dude, it’s just a skull, lol. The guy who painted that is Asian American, my friend and most assuredly not pro-Nazi (laughably far from that).

He just free-handed a skull on to a Knight, if it happens to resemble something else that is purely coincidental. IIRC it was supposed to like a jolly rogers or something like that. We’ve posted this picutre many, many times as it is a cool looking Knight and no one has ever said anything about the skull being offensive until now.

But, le sigh, as in this day and age people throw fits over seemingly anything, I will take it down as I don’t want to deal with the headache. I have too much on my plate to spend time arguing over an imagined slight.

Sorry if this seems short but I hope you can step into my shoes and try and see this from our perspective. You’re saying either we’re Nazi sympathizers or ignorant based on total speculation with no actual knowledge of what the image is meant to represent. You THINK it is a Nazi symbol but I’m telling you, it’s just a regular old skull. In fact, you’re telling us what we painted is, instead of simply asking, lol. It’s very presumptive and frankly, insulting.

In the future, before assuming, perhaps just ask. If your suspicions are confirmed maybe then press the righteous indignation button. But don’t jump the gun, please.

(Bring back GROGNARDS.TXT)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

moths posted:

FLG pulled the image, but someone in the comments had to leave this gem:

(Bring back GROGNARDS.TXT)

That's Reece, one of the owners of FLG.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

"I'm not very good at painting the Totenkopf" is a great defence.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
it is extremely immediately obvious to me, a not history nerd, that it is a nazi symbol

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I can buy that it was maybe traced or designed unknowingly from a totenkopf, but Reece's response is garbage from an idiot.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

I can buy that it was maybe traced or designed unknowingly from a totenkopf, but Reece's response is garbage from an idiot.

Yup, exactly this. I don't for a second think anyone at FLG is an actual nazi. It's a bad choice from Google Image Search for source material when freehanding.

Don't double down on it though, maybe.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

the fact that it’s coincidentally placed on a red and white shield further calls into question that defense

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've joked elsewhere that it being a White Knight :tinfoil: might mean something :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I honestly thought they'd say "woah we didn't realise what that was, no offense". Maybe a thanks for the heads up at most. Not pissy defensiveness.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hauki posted:

the fact that it’s coincidentally placed on a red and white shield further calls into question that defense

What does red and white signify? I'm not particularly au fait with white supremacist symbology

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TTerrible posted:

Yup, exactly this. I don't for a second think anyone at FLG is an actual nazi. It's a bad choice from Google Image Search for source material when freehanding.

Don't double down on it though, maybe.

I'm mad
https://twitter.com/VriskaChat/status/1003378131116396549

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
When that dude popped up on Ash Barker's YouTube with the duterte shirt I asked him about it at AdeptiCon- h said he didn't know about it until after and said he'd never tolerate that poo poo again. The right way to do social media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The context is a wargaming hobby. That combined with the fact it really isn't a traditional skull & crossbones and we're well into the realm of looking and quacking like a duck.

Well I mean yeah there's a 99.9% chance someone involved knew it was a Nazi symbol. I had thought this was a commission piece so maybe the painter was just given a jpg and told to paint it on the shield. Sounds like that's not actually the case though.

I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark when I was 5 and then started drawing swastikas on everything for a day because I thought they looked awesome. Thankfully my Jewish kindergarten teacher was the understanding sort. Was the person who painted this literally a child?

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 3, 2018