Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Palladium posted:

Well, except Mediatek drivers are nowhere near as optimized as Qualcomm and Exynos.

I am taking that into account for that comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
At $60 that HD8 is mighty tempting. I've mostly gone to a chromebook for my day to day device, but there are some things I might prefer having a tablet for again.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, that HD8 is Very Tempting. Not fond of the fact I can't root & install AOSP on it, but...

How's it for gaming? I play Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, Kingdom Hearts Union X, Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia, and Final Fantasy Awakening on my N7 2013.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/chrome-os-tablets-are-official-meet-the-acer-chromebook-tab-10/?amp=1

Chrome tablets are now official. Price is nice for the hardware at $329. It doesn't sound like it's going to go in general sale though.

quote:

The device ships in April in North America for $329, and it will be available to "education and commercial customers." In Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, the Chromebook Tab 10 will launch in May for €329 including VAT.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/chrome-os-tablets-are-official-meet-the-acer-chromebook-tab-10/?amp=1

Chrome tablets are now official. Price is nice for the hardware at $329. It doesn't sound like it's going to go in general sale though.

I hope there's some way to get one.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I know what I'm spending my $11k tech grant on next year! I was just bitching about not wanting to buy iPads.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I got a Fire HD8 and it seems okay, I just put the Play Store on it without much trouble. I went to install the New York Times app, but it said it was already installed. Okay, whatever, I thought the Amazon apps were separate beasts. I log into NYT via Google, but the option isn't there, just Facebook. Is this another Google program that the HD8 is missing? Any idea what it is?

EDIT: I just made my own separate login, not a big deal I guess. Still confused by it though.

Twobirds fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 28, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is the standard media player on the fire tablets good or is there a recommended one? i use media player classic on my pc

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I've used MX Player whenever I've had such a need and it's worked quite well.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

You can also use the Plex client now to play local media.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
VLC 3.x is on Android now, as well.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Android 8.0 rolled out to the Galaxy Tab S3 earlier this month. Did it smooth out the jank people were complaining about?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have no idea, but often OS updates introduce more jank, not less. I think it's unfortunate but the oems just don't devote their QA to OS updates because they've already got your money.

So, they shove out the update with as little resources devoted to the project as possible, and now they can claim to be updating their devices.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/01/google-removes-tablet-section-android-website/

Looks like Google is unofficially officially done with Android tablets.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But tablets are going to kill computers! Right after netbooks kill laptops!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
RIP.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Internet Explorer posted:

But tablets are going to kill computers! Right after netbooks kill laptops!
What's a computer? :downs:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nothing, what's a computer with you?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don't worry Google didn't kill tablets they just forgot they existed (as if that wasn't obvious)
https://twitter.com/lockheimer/status/1003122415742771200

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/01/google-removes-tablet-section-android-website/

Update: It's back

https://twitter.com/lockheimer/status/1003122415742771200

According to a tweet by Hiroshi Lockheimer, the removal of the tablets section of the Android site was the result of a bug during a recent site update. We can confirm that the missing section has now been restored—even if it's still advertising such dated specimens as the Galaxy Tab S2 8.0.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's about time honestly. Remember the Nexus 7? Remember pretending that it didn't suck?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

64bit_Dophins posted:

Remember pretending that it didn't suck?

No, it was good.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

No, it was good.

The first one was good for the price. The second one was good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

The first one was good for the price. The second one was good.

I completely forgot about the first one!

My 8 year old still uses the 2013 version.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

My N7 2013 still works fine. The 2012 on the other hand had the lovely eMMC and slowed to a crawl. :bahgawd:

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I haven't booted my 2013 N7 in over a year, the battery was shot. I should look into replacing it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Anyone have a suggestion for a cheapish tablet that has GPS and cellular data? It's for employees to use in the field (doesnt need to be particularly rugged or anything) and its going to be locked into running just one app...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm posting this on my N7 2013 with a replaced battery and still works perfectly. Is a nice Netflix/youtube tablet and I love the screen and size. I know google still have brand new ones in a lost wharehouse somewhere and I'd love to steal a bunch of them for the future years if only use them for youtube and SA browsing.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

arisu posted:

I haven't booted my 2013 N7 in over a year, the battery was shot. I should look into replacing it.

I posted here a few months ago about replacing the battery in mine (if you want to go back and check the history.) It's pretty easy and cheap to do although I'd recommend getting a set of prying/opening tools (I got the iFixit Pro kit which I've been using for a ton of devices) if you don't already have one.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

More and more rumors + leaks about a Galaxy S4 10.5-inch are keeping hope alive.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Huawei MediaPad M5 8", 10", and 10" Pro are available on Amazon and Newegg for $319, $359, and $449, respectively

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do say that the be 8.4" one is tempting as a Nexus 7 replacement. I'm still kinda iffy on my Tab S3, the Samsungness of the software still bugs me even on Oreo and I still feel it's too big of a device.

I'll be looking out for more detailed reviews of these.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

I do say that the be 8.4" one is tempting as a Nexus 7 replacement. I'm still kinda iffy on my Tab S3, the Samsungness of the software still bugs me even on Oreo and I still feel it's too big of a device.

I'll be looking out for more detailed reviews of these.

Buy an 8" s2 and put lineage OS on it. It has an official release.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Buy an 8" s2 and put lineage OS on it. It has an official release.

I didn't know Samsung released Lineage OS now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't know Samsung released Lineage OS now.

They are moving all their devices to it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I had a Tab S2. It was ok. 4:3 doesn't work for an 8" tablet IMO. 16:9 is so much better.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hrrnngggg want to pull the trigger right now...!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I wasn't sure what is going on here since I bought an M5 a few weeks ago. Is the version sold in Europe different than this American release?

Otherwise very good tablet. Out of spite of waiting for a replacement for the N7 I chose the M5 10" so I would also be able to play Planescape Torment and King of Dragon Pass on a nice screen. It runs well and the battery looks good. The speakers are stellar.

Something I can't understand though is the lack of audio jack and the placement of the power button so close to the volume ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Current buzz is that the tablet doesn't ship with Widevine L1 support so no HD steaming anything out of the box.

Some people in some regions have said an update does give L1 support, but success in getting Netflix to play in HD have been mixed and Amazon is just pointing to their compatibility matrix for HD support.

I'm sorry, if you name something MediaPad and give it such a high resolution screen, your minimum level of competency at that point is ensuring HD playback for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBO Go/Now out of the box.

Once again, software made by someone other than Google disappoints massively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I only watch stuff like that on my computer or TV, and use my tablet mostly for gaming, so no real loss for me.

Still, your point is valid.