Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Fabulousity, has Kimchi seen the vet? If so,I missed that part. Hopefully his poop war is easily resolved with some meds.

He hasn't been to the vet specifically for the recent fecal fun parade. He did go last fall when frequent vomiting was the bigger concern and the vet had us try a hypoallergenic hydrolyzed cat food but that resulted in severe diarrhea so we went back to the usual diet. Otherwise his blood work and urinalysis didn't show anything out of the ordinary. He's left three bombs in high traffic areas today alone. Once Mufasa is taken care of I'll schedule a vet appointment for Kimchi, probably next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Harrow posted:

Yeah, for sure. If we do take him in, I plan to keep Jasmine (the current cat) in the bedroom while we bring the new cat into the home and get him situated, just to prevent any potential run-ins before they're ready.

The new cat seems very relaxed and friendly, and Jasmine is extremely gregarious (and vocal), so my hope is that it's a good sign and she'll be that way around another cat, too.

There are few guarantees in the world of cats but it sounds like this ought to be a fairly easy introduction as both cats are chill and friendly, hopefully it will go well!

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there such a thing as an auto cat feeder that feeds food & mixes in medicine? I know that's a lot to ask of a machine, but got a cat that has medicated wet food and a few pills ground up on the food daily and if there's anything, even if it's pricer that would own.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
If they don't have to be ground up and could go in pill pockets you could put that into a normal rotating dohickey and we've found success with them.

Wet feeders are kinda bad from what I could tell, if only because they don't refrigerate well/for long so you can't really put out more than a meal or two.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Fabulousity posted:

He hasn't been to the vet specifically for the recent fecal fun parade. He did go last fall when frequent vomiting was the bigger concern and the vet had us try a hypoallergenic hydrolyzed cat food but that resulted in severe diarrhea so we went back to the usual diet. Otherwise his blood work and urinalysis didn't show anything out of the ordinary. He's left three bombs in high traffic areas today alone. Once Mufasa is taken care of I'll schedule a vet appointment for Kimchi, probably next week.

Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I found a pretty young kitten in my backyard with some opaque white pastey gunk covering one of its eyes. The other eye has just a thin layer of clear slime around it. My dad just took it to the vet to make sure it’s okay.

I forgot to take a pic. What is this stuff normally? Is the kitty gonna be alright?

EDIT: Nevermind, kitten is fine. She (turns out it’s a she btw) has an upper respiratory infection but her temperature is normal. She’s coming home now.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 1, 2018

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

So I decided to check out a vet that's closer to my place than Lucy's current doctor, even though it's not cat-exclusive.

Have any of y'all been won over by the winning sales pitch of something like, "If your vet prescribed Comfortis, watch out that the fourth pill (that your current, cheaper, not-me vet prescribed) doesn't kill your cat dead." ...? I didn't think so.

gently caress yeah that's an absolute emergencies only stop. jfc. Maybe he was thrown off by my femaleness and Lucy being in a stroller into thinking I was one of those owners.

Nope. Not compensating for a 'lack' of child; I just don't drive. Douche.

I guess my legs will just have to get used to transporting my cat a 3km round trip in honour of my non-sedentary ancestors.

---

Have some cat tax in the form of Puckles, my blind-rear end half-paralysed-rear end 19yo-rear end in-my-mum's-custody-rear end still-eating-drinking-and-grooming-rear end taught-herself-to-walk-again-rear end cat, with her new lap-like warms.

Adorable stubborn little poo poo. Lucy's allergy expenses precluded Puck's entry into the Best Cat campaign, which is a drat shame.

If both Puck and the Best Cat Comp are a thing next year though, prepare to get rekt.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Mufasa is at peace. God speed you lovable orange oaf.

...But of course because the universe isn't done making GBS threads on me I just happened to see the litter box right after Kimchi peed and there's blood in his urine. :argh: Will schedule another vet visit for first thing tomorrow.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Godspeed and safe journey, Mufasa, you majestic mfer.

I hope the universe eases up on you soon, friend.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Infinitum posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Heavy Petting > The Cat FAQ/Megathread: An all out poo poo jihad

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Heavy Petting > The Cat FAQ/Megathread: You must meet her poo poo Jihad with a poo poo Crusade

I'm freaking out a bit after losing Mufasa and now looking at Kimchi by himself I'm afraid I ignored similar symptoms because he was overall quite mobile (jumping around, etc.) and I was mad at him for pooping everywhere for seemingly no good reason from my perspective. Now there's blood in the urine and watching him move around he's doing this weird waddle with his hind legs. I just assumed he was on his way to douse something in poo poo. I am a bad owner.

But now I'm getting worried about whether or not a larger environmental hazard is at work. These two cats were adopted about a year apart and while not forming kitty piles seemed to be fine until we moved to the current condo. Except for a few known outbursts they tolerated each other and once in a rare while engaged in play. Shortly after the move Mufasa started to demonstrate severe apprehension of everything everywhere. He'd move through the hall like he wasn't sure if the walls were gonna attack him. Kimchi's behavior didn't seem to change between the two places. They were both adopted as 10+ seniors without the shelters being sure of either of their ages. Was this just bad luck of the draw and they both may have been older than anticipated? Before we got here the condo was rented out by the owner. From what the realtor told us combined by seeing the place during open house the previous tenant he was a total brosef with a dog. As far as I can tell the carpet is original from construction in 2000. We had it steam cleaned before moving in with the cats and are currently planning to have it ripped out and replaced with wood floor. I'm just worried we're doing something wrong to gently caress up these cats :(

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 2, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I would raise your concerns with the vet when you take Kimchi in, I doubt it's anything you have done or could have known about, it's most probably just really awful luck. Doesn't hurt to raise the idea though.

I hope Kimchi is okay. Rest in peace Mufasa, you majestic old bastard!

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Was kind of too quiet and lonely around home after losing Marshmellow.

So.... meet "still unnamed".

She got scooped up by animal control as an extremely young and pregnant stray. She had her litter a couple months ago and was in a foster home recovering with someone who works with the local rescue shelter. The kittens had all been adopted out, now it was her turn. Met and picked her up yesterday morning. I didn't want to see her end up in the shelter. She's still a bit skinny, but seems very nice and has so much playful energy. Didn't take her long to figure out how to position herself between me and my keyboard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm sorry to hear about your kitties. Hopefully you caught it in time and Kimchi gets better.

No name is a pretty kitty and I hope you and her become good friends.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

owls or something posted:

She got scooped up by animal control as an extremely young and pregnant stray. She had her litter a couple months ago and was in a foster home recovering with someone who works with the local rescue shelter. The kittens had all been adopted out, now it was her turn. Met and picked her up yesterday morning. I didn't want to see her end up in the shelter. She's still a bit skinny, but seems very nice and has so much playful energy. Didn't take her long to figure out how to position herself between me and my keyboard.

Congratulations! Everything people say about calicos is true. Welcome to your sweet cuddly completely neurotic new best friend!

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

She woke me up this morning by biting my nipple. I tried to ignore it and closed my eyes but she got mad and started smacking my nose with her paw.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Welcome to the world of tortitude. She is gorgeous though :3:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

owls or something posted:

So gorgeous, and so much trouble, you're gonna love her :kimchi:

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

On the suggestion by the OP, I am on the verge of adopting an 8-9 year old bonded pair of wonderful cats. Over the past month, I've spent about 4-6 hours a week getting to know them at the local shelter, and I'm looking forward to taking them home.

Unfortunately, the cats' original owner had them both declawed. At this stage in their life, is being declawed a major cause for concern? How will it affect their needs at home? Are there future health issues I should be on the lookout for? What steps can I take to improve their current quality of life?

I know litter box issues are a possibility with declawed cats and a common reason for cats being left at shelters, so I should mention that these cats have no problems eliminating. They are at the shelter because their owner passed away. Of course, if problems do occur once they move in, I'm fulled prepared to deal with them.

Other background info: I live in a house with 2 floors with plenty of space and room for 3+ litter boxes. I do not own any other pets.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
They will probably be fine. Getting into old age will be more likely to cause litter box issues at this point. Any declawed cat I've known has acted as normally as any given individual cat*. Congrats on your new pals and thanks for giving older cats a good home

*Does not mean I support it or think it's fine, just that cats are resilient and it's not a guarantee that they will have issues.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 4, 2018

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Generally, the advice I see for declawed cats is that they need to be kept inside, since they can't defend themselves against outdoor threats, and that they should obviously be kept away from aggressive clawed cats who might harm them. As long as they're housed in a safe indoor environment and they don't have any known medical/behavioral issues, I don't think you need to worry too much, although it's good to be vigilant. As Huntersoninski mentioned, at this point I'd be more wary about issues caused by aging than issues caused by the declawing.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I'd be more concerned that the cats would curse/kill/eat you like they did their previous owner. Or that they were haunted.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Sounds good. Thanks all. And yeah, they’ll be staying indoors for sure.

Now that I have all the cat stuff need I’ll have to start prepping for a seance :ghost:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jellybean came to us declawed and she was 6 or 7. She still thinks she's a vicious muderbeast* who can hunt small prey and tries to sharpen her claws and it's adorable if a little sad.

*Much like Domino nothing I've seen indicates she is or ever was a muderbeast. She can't even successfully hunt stinkbugs or ants.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Len posted:

Jellybean came to us declawed and she was 6 or 7. She still thinks she's a vicious muderbeast* who can hunt small prey and tries to sharpen her claws and it's adorable if a little sad.

*Much like Domino nothing I've seen indicates she is or ever was a muderbeast. She can't even successfully hunt stinkbugs or ants.

Yeah whenever a declared kitty tries to scratch a post it's such a :unsmith: moment

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I have a declawed cat (not by me, he was adopted that way) who still managed to literally snag a sparrow out of mid air on the balcony according to my then six year old. I was home at the time but didn't actually see it but heard the associated thump and observed seconds later the bird corpse he proudly carried into the house in his mouth. Cats are just concerned with being cats, it's not like a human who might obsess over a missing hand or leg, they just keep on catting. We should probably admire that.

NOTE: This post does NOT advocate declawing cats.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 4, 2018

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
What should I do with the pregnant feral cat I just caught?

I posted a few months ago asking about what to do with the 4 feral cats I was feeding. I was able to catch 3 of the 4 and get them fixed by the humane society. The 4th one I couldn't catch, and wasn't sure whether it was male or female since it is fluffy and never got close. I noticed last week that it looked a lot wider than before, and realized it was female and pregnant.

I could take her to the animal shelter or humane society, but from what I understand they will abort the kittens. I realize that's probably the most practical option, but it doesn't make me feel better about it. I guess my options are:

1. Take the cat to the shelter to be fixed
2. Keep the cat and let it give birth in my bathroom
3. Let the cat go

I've never dealt with a cat giving birth before and I work full time so I won't be around during the day if anything happens. It's also feral, or at least stray, so I don't know how it will react to being trapped in a bathroom for a while. I guess I'm looking for excuses not to abort the kittens, but I don't want to make things even worse by doing that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Keeping the cat til it gives birth means x kittens needing to be fed and homed rather than just 1 cat needing a vet stay and rehoming. I mean they're really cute but is it really the best option?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Synthbuttrange posted:

Keeping the cat til it gives birth means x kittens needing to be fed and homed rather than just 1 cat needing a vet stay and rehoming. I mean they're really cute but is it really the best option?

You're right, I think I just needed some time to think about it rationally. I wasn't expecting to actually catch the cat so suddenly, so I wasn't prepared. I'm fortunate that there's at least 2 places I can go to that will neuter/spay feral cats for free.

pairofdimes fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 4, 2018

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Well the traps I set for my first idiot escapee cat didn't work. He doesn't seem to be coming around for the food I set out anymore either. Decided to say gently caress it and got myself a kitten over the weekend.

She's already at home and getting in the way of my computer screen.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

IronDoge posted:

Well the traps I set for my first idiot escapee cat didn't work. He doesn't seem to be coming around for the food I set out anymore either. Decided to say gently caress it and got myself a kitten over the weekend.

She's already at home and getting in the way of my computer screen.

You're going to end up with both cats, calling it now.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I don't have a question or anything, I just wanted to share this picture of my cat with a rainbow coming out of her rear end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So dumbass doesn't let you use the bathroom with the doors shut. If you want to draw up a hot relaxing bath with the doors closed he has to be in there with you or he meows at the door the entire time.

Of course after about 10 minutes he starts knocking things off the counter because he can't get to you. But if you let him out it's right back to meowing at the door again.

Sometimes he hops on the side of the tub for pets or to drink bathwater. And he really likes eating bubbles for some reason.

Goddamn weirdo.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Quick update on Kimchi: The vet felt that he was bloated indicating that he might have fluid in his abdomen. They took an xray to get a look at his heart expecting that any view of his digestive track would be obscured by fluid but that wasn't the case: His intestines were there clear as day for the viewing. His abdomen isn't full of fluid, his intestines are full of gas. They gave him some antibiotics and recommended I add simethicone to his food (GasX) to assist with the bloating. The blood work should be ready later in the week and the xray has been sent off for further analysis by a specialist.

My cat is full of fart.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

^^^ :lol:

The Lobster posted:

I don't have a question or anything, I just wanted to share this picture of my cat with a rainbow coming out of her rear end.

thank u for supporting us queers, catte :unsmith:

Len posted:

So dumbass doesn't let you use the bathroom with the doors shut. If you want to draw up a hot relaxing bath with the doors closed he has to be in there with you or he meows at the door the entire time.

Of course after about 10 minutes he starts knocking things off the counter because he can't get to you. But if you let him out it's right back to meowing at the door again.

Sometimes he hops on the side of the tub for pets or to drink bathwater. And he really likes eating bubbles for some reason.

Goddamn weirdo.

Yeah Fred does this when my dad is in the tub. Doesn't care when I am, doesn't care when my mom is, but gets real demanding to get in when dad's taking a bath.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My cat used to be in the bathroom or force his way in all the time when I'm using it.

He's been dissuaded a bit because he was in the shower and I was trying to pull up the non slip mat to clean a few weeks back. Trying to shoo him out didnt work and he insisted on supervising. So I started pulling, all the suction cups popping loudly.

He leapt straight up, landed, leapt two feet off the ground again and kicked off the wall and sailed over me as I yanked the whole thing out. He's just observed the bathroom activities from a respectful distance now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Question: how is a cat's ability to recognize height as something not to gently caress with? I live in a 7th story apartment and we have a small outdoor balcony. There's standard metal railings that go up about 4 ft around. I basically never use this balcony because I'm terrified of my cats getting out there and trying to leap up one the railing and tumbling over or something, most likely in pursuit of a bird. I won't be doing this ever but say my cat was given access to this balcony - would they recognize they are 7 stories up and not be stupid or are cats big dummies and would probably get themselves killed in minutes?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Don’t count on it. They might slip or get distracted by a bird. It’s not so much if they recognize the height, it’s accidents like that which you should be worried about.

Get a net and span it around, pet stores should sell them specifically for cats and with metal tubes to fix it down. I built frames with nets for our windows when we lived that high up. It’s easy as hell.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They've got the brain the size of a walnut! Plan accordingly!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello I'd like to exchange my Scratches-The-Absolute-gently caress-Out-Of-Your-Legs-While-You're-Gaming kitten for a Just-Likes-To-Sleep-On-Laps-And-Purr kitten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Hello I'd like to exchange my Scratches-The-Absolute-gently caress-Out-Of-Your-Legs-While-You're-Gaming kitten for a Just-Likes-To-Sleep-On-Laps-And-Purr kitten.

Wait a couple of years.