Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I thought it was a trilogy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Megazver posted:

Terra Ignota is a planned quartet of Science fiction novels written by Ada Palmer, consisting of Too Like the Lightning (2016), Seven Surrenders (2017), and The Will to Battle (2017), with the final volume Perhaps the Stars planned for publication in 2019.[1]

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Megazver posted:

I'm virtually certain it was originally discussed as a trilogy also

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

andrew smash posted:

I'm virtually certain it was originally discussed as a trilogy also

I like the current form.

Also Ada Palmer is an awesome lady and I accidentally got to hang out with her when she was at TAMU. :3:

her blog is worth reading, exurbe.com

edit also I didn't realize the Censor's Office was seriously dystopian until she mentioned it on her blog because I am a dumb

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 1, 2018

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thinking about making a "what's your top 5 mary sue" thread. I am rock-solid on my first two selections, willing to be argued away from my 3rd pick, and 4th + 5th pick are open because I'm desperately trying to remove a few mary sues from my memory (Lazarus Long, literal motherfucker comes to mind).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Finished reading both FFR and the followup short.

:allears:

Keep on Wattsing, sir.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Finished reading both FFR and the followup short.

:allears:

Keep on Wattsing, sir.

Can you PM the URL or put it in spoilers? I keep 404ing so I'm sure I've made a mistake somewhere.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Grimson posted:

Can you PM the URL or put it in spoilers? I keep 404ing so I'm sure I've made a mistake somewhere.

http://www.rifters.com/real/shorts.htm

Read order: Hotshot, The Freeze-Frame Revolution , The Island, Giants.

The Island: TBH a bit of mild, off-page incest barely twitched my Watts-ometer after the second/third Rifters books :prepop:

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

http://www.rifters.com/real/shorts.htm

Read order: Hotshot, The Freeze-Frame Revolution , The Island, Giants.

The Island: TBH a bit of mild, off-page incest barely twitched my Watts-ometer after the second/third Rifters books :prepop:

Oh sorry but

There's a link hidden in the text of Freeze Frame Revolution, but I can't quite get it to work right.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Grimson posted:

Oh sorry but

There's a link hidden in the text of Freeze Frame Revolution, but I can't quite get it to work right.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Aha, thanks! I skipped your spoilers and missed a bunch of dashes apparently.

Edit: and to answer the question in your spoiler

Don't forget that Sunday's specialty is gene editing. Introns are junk DNA, so flipping bits there isn't going to change the organism that comes out of the DNA isn't going to be changed. Hiding in plain sight.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 1, 2018

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

edit also I didn't realize the Censor's Office was seriously dystopian until she mentioned it on her blog because I am a dumb
How so, other than the whole "One man/office decides who gets to have power in society" deal?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Today's US Kindle Daily Deal features The Chronicles of the Black Company 1-9 by Glen Cook for $2.99 each.

Also New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson for $3.99, but it often goes on sale and I've seen if for $1.99 a couple of months ago.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

grassy gnoll posted:

Freeze-Frame Revolution spoilers

Holy poo poo why did the story have to end where it did. I hope Watts has more fragments coming.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Wanting to read more Tim Powers, his shtick is totally my poo poo.

Are most of his books generally well regarded? So far I've read Anubis Gates and On Stranger Tides. Right now I'm looking at the Fault Line trilogy, or The Stress of Her Regard. Anyone have any recommendations as to where I should go?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Are most of his books generally well regarded? So far I've read Anubis Gates and On Stranger Tides. Right now I'm looking at the Fault Line trilogy, or The Stress of Her Regard. Anyone have any recommendations as to where I should go?

Declare is the thread favorite, as far as I can recall. I really liked it because of all the Cold War stuff.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Declare or Last Call would be my recommendations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I find all of his books to be at least decent, with Anubis Gates and Declare being the very top end of what he’s written. Hard to go wrong but I’d make sure to hit Declare.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Selachian posted:

Declare or Last Call would be my recommendations.

Seconding these. Last Call is my personal favorite because it is essentially Unknown Armies: The Book, but Declare is probably the better book.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Declare is his best, followed by either Last Call or Stress of Her Regard. On Stranger Tides is a pretty great light pirate adventure too. Not quite as good but I also really like Dinner at Deviant's Palace - a post-apocalyptic take on Orpheus and Eurydice.

Honestly, everything he's written is at least decent, maybe with the exceptions of Three Days To Never (which he essentially took another - better - shot at with Medusa's Web) and Hide Me Among the Graves.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 2, 2018

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Tim Powers novels all follow the same pattern, luckily Powers is very skilled and does the research/work to create a fully visualized world for each of his novels to take place in. Tim Powers rarely revisits the same setting twice, so if you find one of his novels disappointing/don't care about the setting, you will probably enjoy the next Tim Powers novel you run across.

Sadly, I give negative fucks about pirates and mobsters. And give even less of a gently caress about classic english poets, so........yeah. Tim Powers has been more miss than hit for me. Declare remains Powers best novel for me.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 2, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

How so, other than the whole "One man/office decides who gets to have power in society" deal?

they can erase and edit media at will, and also have quite a lot of related law enforcement capability

Maybe "dystopian" isn't quite the right word, but they're the least accountable and extremely powerful multi-Hive peace enforcement entity.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Read Bujolds new novella. It was okay? It was just really predictable. I'm not normally the sort to be "Oh, it's ~too simple~" but it was super generic in a way that made it boring.

Regretting dropping money on it.

At least there's Revenant gun coming soon.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So my local sci fi bookstore just recommended the steel remains and i bought it and read it during my vacation.

I like it but I haven’t ever heard of it. And it is from 2008. What are people’s opinion on it?

I dig the brutal world they live in and the feeling of “I must’ve missed a book or two before this” as I read along. the whole lizard war seemed like it would’ve made a pretty cool book (please don’t tell me I’ve missed a book I actually looked this up)

Gay characters were interesting especially in a world where gay people were brutally murdered. Kinda felt the author made a rothfuss thing at one point but I glossed over it. Besides that bit the book was cool.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Affi posted:

So my local sci fi bookstore just recommended the steel remains and i bought it and read it during my vacation.

I like it but I haven’t ever heard of it. And it is from 2008. What are people’s opinion on it?

I dig the brutal world they live in and the feeling of “I must’ve missed a book or two before this” as I read along. the whole lizard war seemed like it would’ve made a pretty cool book (please don’t tell me I’ve missed a book I actually looked this up)

Gay characters were interesting especially in a world where gay people were brutally murdered. Kinda felt the author made a rothfuss thing at one point but I glossed over it. Besides that bit the book was cool.

I really liked those books. If you liked the first one, definitely check out the other two in the trilogy. Also Altered Carbon is cool.

It's a weird thing to say I guess but the graphic gay sex was refreshing in a I've-never-seen-that kind of way.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Morgan's stuff is great. Market Forces is one of the funnest books i've ever read. Corporate dystopia, where contracts are tendered by Mad Max style road wars and conflict investment is now a key desk for firms.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

I really liked those books. If you liked the first one, definitely check out the other two in the trilogy. Also Altered Carbon is cool.

It's a weird thing to say I guess but the graphic gay sex was refreshing in a I've-never-seen-that kind of way.

No and I shouldn’t have used interesting as a word that was a stupid choice of words. It was Refreshing.
but the gay sex with the dwenda out of nowhere was weird as hell and It just felt like a construction to get him where he needed to be story wise?

Other then that I really had a blast at the dragonbane and his reaction to Ringil at the bar. Probably my top three fantasy book moment ever. Just so perfect.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, everyone in here who recommended The Black Company were certainly right - I've just finished Shadows Linger and although it started out at a much slower and different pace to the first book, I greatly enjoyed the more...intrigue-y feel of the book, as it dedicated the first part to setting the scene/building-up for the end of the book. Particularly later on in the book, when things start heating up, again.

Although I had mixed feelings about the sudden death of Raven! I too thought that he faked his own death when it was first mentioned by Asa. But when he actually died later on, I felt both that I wanted to read more about his adventures, but I also thought that it was a good way and time to finish him off. Since he had succeeded in his mission to help Darling, and since he seems like an unstoppable god in combat, it was a good way for him to go.

I do wonder about the fate of The Limper, though. Since as far as I'm concerned, if you don't see the dead body, they ain't dead. Especially him, seeing as he's been proven to be quite resilient...

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the first couple books of black company are fun, but man do the antagonists have a chronic case of super villain syndrome

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the first couple books of black company are fun, but man do the antagonists have a chronic case of super villain syndrome

Yeah, that's true. Also, I'm definitely planning to avoid any TBC books after this trilogy, seeing as everyone here has said it takes the same direction Dune took, after Herbert's first few books. It's been such a fun/good ride so far reading these, that I want to end it on a high - instead of letting it drag out by reading any of the subsequent trilogies'.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I enjoyed every Black Company book in some way except the very last one but they definitely develop problems as they go on. I didn't think it was as jagged as the quality drop off in the Dune books but a slower accumulation of dodgy decisions. I seem to recall the Books of the South omnibus was still fairly solid.

The world of the initial Black Company books is amazing but that's where the worst problems develop. Too many details are explained that worked a lot better as mysteries. It probably also has my favorite handling of magic in a fantasy series but its better earlier before so much is revealed. Beyond all its other problems that is probably why I disliked the last book as they introduce a character with magic that is very different tonally then all the previous ones and felt like a mess.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, that's true. Also, I'm definitely planning to avoid any TBC books after this trilogy, seeing as everyone here has said it takes the same direction Dune took, after Herbert's first few books. It's been such a fun/good ride so far reading these, that I want to end it on a high - instead of letting it drag out by reading any of the subsequent trilogies'.

The Silver Spike is okay, and it wraps up one of the ending plot hooks from The White Rose if you're interested in it. White Rose spoilers here: Silver Spike is about what happens to Raven/Darling/Silence after they leave the Black Company, and it doesn't deal with the larger Black Company at all. If you have any interest about what happens to them, it's worthwhile. If not, you can just ignore it and end it at White Rose.

ed balls balls man posted:

Morgan's stuff is great. Market Forces is one of the funnest books i've ever read. Corporate dystopia, where contracts are tendered by Mad Max style road wars and conflict investment is now a key desk for firms.

Morgan's stuff is always about an over-the-top alpha-male protagonist in a dystopian world, but I like pretty much everything of his I've read anyways.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have seen it mentioned once in this thread I think, but Gnomon is a really good book, like kind of amazing. It reminds me a lot of a David Mitchell book, but maybe more dense and better writing. I'm half way through and I think about how good it is all the time. I thought Gone Away World was interesting and worth reading, but I'm not sure I think it was great, this book is different. I haven't finished it, so that could change, but I doubt it. Also, has anyone read Angelmaker (or Tigerman I guess) by Harkaway? Wondering if I should read that after liking this so much.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 4, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, I checked out Greg Bear's Hull Zero Three from the library and read it this evening. Not a bad read, but not great. None of the characters are very interesting, and what is interesting - figuring out what's actually going on - kinda jumps out of nowhere towards the end of the book. Bear has some interesting ideas, and does put together some standard sci-fi twists in unusual ways, but I think I've seen every idea in this book before, and written better. It reminds me heavily of his earlier book Anvil of Stars in particular, though I thought the twist that (spoiling just in case) it was humanity messing with the ship and testing the characters, who evolved and advanced enormously while this sublight colony ship slowboated to its destination was memorable, rather than the alien or AI I was expecting.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FuzzySlippers posted:

I enjoyed every Black Company book in some way except the very last one but they definitely develop problems as they go on. I didn't think it was as jagged as the quality drop off in the Dune books but a slower accumulation of dodgy decisions. I seem to recall the Books of the South omnibus was still fairly solid.

Like the Dune books, keep reading until they lose you. If that book was Bleak Seasons, then at least try She is the Darkness. Croaker takes the Company south again and pulls off some amazing poo poo. After that, the last two also solid.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Rusty posted:

I have seen it mentioned once in this thread I think, but Gnomon is a really good book, like kind of amazing. It reminds me a lot of a David Mitchell book, but maybe more dense and better writing. I'm half way through and I think about how good it is all the time. I thought Gone Away World was interesting and worth reading, but I'm not sure I think it was great, this book is different. I haven't finished it, so that could change, but I doubt it. Also, has anyone read Angelmaker (or Tigerman I guess) by Harkaway? Wondering if I should read that after liking this so much.

It's gonna be the sleeper hit of the year. Something definitely happened with the writing compared to his previous output. A substantial difference in quality.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rusty posted:

I've read all of them. If Gnomon is closest to anything it's "The Gone-Away World" stylistically, but while his earlier books are all good on their own merits, Gnomon is a new level. Still, even Harkaway being a little dull (Tigerman) is more fun than most.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Rusty posted:

I have no idea wtf I read, but it was nonetheless quite enjoyable.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Made the mistake of getting 3 Kage Baker The company books, along with Ninefox Gambit and a few Stanislaw Lem books from the public library system this weekend.

The Company Kage Baker books were everything I feared and worse, somehow. The final book in the series(Sons of Heaven) was struck by lightning 3 times bad, the ultimate wtf capper for it was the father son and ghost thing literally replacing God. I repeat, wtf. I hadn't read something that off and tonedeaf and full of one characters and badly written that somehow involved clone incarnations and unbreakable love for the ages since Sandworms of Dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Made the mistake of getting 3 Kage Baker The company books, along with Ninefox Gambit and a few Stanislaw Lem books from the public library system this weekend.

The Company Kage Baker books were everything I feared and worse, somehow. The final book in the series(Sons of Heaven) was struck by lightning 3 times bad, the ultimate wtf capper for it was the father son and ghost thing literally replacing God. I repeat, wtf. I hadn't read something that off and tonedeaf and full of one characters and badly written that somehow involved clone incarnations and unbreakable love for the ages since Sandworms of Dune.
At least you've got Lem in the tank. He's the greatest.