Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Inimicul posted:

I hope we can do some more Unrest or other group activities again soon. Are people still in that area or should we try to get something else going instead?

My Ench's still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
My cleric is 21 now and parked in Unrest, too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

christ i got so pumped hitting 9 and finally get spells i forgot meditate isn't until 12.

do they have plans on releasing a clean server that did the updates in real time at some point? what;s tough about playing now is there aren't enough people to group at the lower levels even in what i presume are the popular spots. and i'm guessing the economy is way out of whack with the level of plat people got.

also why was the rubicite set set to no longer drop? did that happen in real eq.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

what;s tough about playing now is there aren't enough people to group at the lower levels even in what i presume are the popular spots. and i'm guessing the economy is way out of whack with the level of plat

Grouping becomes easier once you get a bit higher. People leveling alts often use quests like bone chips etc to get through the lower levels quickly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh i've been selling mine.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
If you need the plat, you need the plat.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

also why was the rubicite set set to no longer drop? did that happen in real eq.
Yeah, Rubi and lots of other items were removed at various points in real EQ. See a fairly complete list here:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Removed_Items

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did they do it cuz the breastplate was too good??

it was one of the coolest looking sets back when i played.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Groovelord Neato posted:

did they do it cuz the breastplate was too good??

it was one of the coolest looking sets back when i played.

I'm actually curious to know this. The Rubi breastplate was only 2? 4? HP per tick Regen. I don't remember what the AC stats were like, but I think I remember it being nothing special compared to class quest armor??

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

the relative ease of acquiring rubi BP is probably one of the biggest reasons (iksar BP and fungi BP never got removed). It waasn't great for 50+ stuff but it was huge for twinking/being lower level.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

MF_James posted:

the relative ease of acquiring rubi BP is probably one of the biggest reasons (iksar BP and fungi BP never got removed). It waasn't great for 50+ stuff but it was huge for twinking/being lower level.

It got removed waaaaaay before kunark iirc, soooooi

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DisgracelandUSA posted:

It got removed waaaaaay before kunark iirc, soooooi

What I was saying was the rubi BP was easy to acquire, but not great at max level (50) or 60 when kunark was out, iksar/fungi came out in kunark and they made them fairly rare overall and so you didn't have them everywhere plus overall damage/hp was higher so they weren't as OP as rubi was in classic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was watching those old everquest mysteries videos and it made me think of the megalodon and kraken that were rumored to be in the game. i looked em up (i think megalodon was originally in lake rathetear but was removed due to pathing stuff but people said it was still around somewhere and the kraken was supposedly in oot and people even faked screenshots of "a kraken" back in the day) and it turns out they added both to a city called sarith city of tides in a later expansion. wild.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was watching those old everquest mysteries videos and it made me think of the megalodon and kraken that were rumored to be in the game. i looked em up (i think megalodon was originally in lake rathetear but was removed due to pathing stuff but people said it was still around somewhere and the kraken was supposedly in oot and people even faked screenshots of "a kraken" back in the day) and it turns out they added both to a city called sarith city of tides in a later expansion. wild.

Reading about later expansions is so weird--they made a raid where Fippy Darkpaw is the badass big bad and by defeating him, you punish him by being reincarnated as a lowbie forced to rush into Qeynos and get murdered by guards every 6 minutes. Or those murders were fueling a dark ritual or something, I can't remember, but it's such a strange callback.

Even trying to follow the "plot" with the Planes of Time and stuff, I never really could understand what was going on.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Reading about later expansions is so weird--they made a raid where Fippy Darkpaw is the badass big bad and by defeating him, you punish him by being reincarnated as a lowbie forced to rush into Qeynos and get murdered by guards every 6 minutes. Or those murders were fueling a dark ritual or something, I can't remember, but it's such a strange callback.

Even trying to follow the "plot" with the Planes of Time and stuff, I never really could understand what was going on.

remember that monster you killed as a lowbie? he's literally in a Sisyphean hell for eternity

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That's very Douglas Adams

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's also weird they added a race i've never heard of called the drakkin instead of one of the dozens of races already known in the game.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah but none of those other races were dragon-people with :krad: tattoos broooo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm not sure that's worse than Luclin adding furries.

Frogloks being playable was cool and good though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh yeah it was weird they had the vah shir instead of just making them kerra.

also weird they only ever added two classes.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 28, 2018

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
EQ started with a zillion classes, so I'm not surprised they didn't think there was a lot of room for more. The berserker and beast master both seem like pretty lovely, half-hearted classes, so if those were their best attempts at new classes I'd hate to see their worse ones. Also I'm guessing there were a lot of engine limitations for going in other directions, like making gishes that could integrate spells more seamlessly with melee--although, honestly, I think the shadow knight is a pretty solid recreation of an AD&D-era gish, which is the era that EQ was made to simulate.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 28, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah EQ launched with more classes than most mmos have at the end of all their expansions. There just wasn't much need or room for more.

And WoW's constant complete class redesigns shows that its really hard to make several classes that play distinctly different but are balanced.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I really like the classes in classic EQ feel distinct with very pronounced strengths and weaknesses. Went back to WoW when Legion released after not touching it since vanilla, and they've homogenized everything to the point where it all feels the same. Class differentiation has been 100% sacrificed on the altar of balance. Your rotation might be a bit different but no matter what class or spec you play, you can expect to be competitive at every aspect of your inflexible and very specific specific role (tank/dps/healer) within a few small percentage points of everyone else, and with no major features to distinguish yourself. Most of the time I'd do a dungeon run and have no idea what classes my groupmates were playing because it doesn't matter and they are completely interchangeable.

The only one that felt a bit different was Affliction Warlock, which had horrendous single target damage and a couple very situational types of aoe, but when those situations arose it was an unstoppable god. You also had a lot more freedom to move around during combat and could self-heal pretty steadily. The playerbase hated it because it wasn't a carbon copy of the other 23 dps specializations, so it was changed to be a turret focused around single target damage, just like the others. Seems like they want to get rid of the healing aspect now too.

Meanwhile the only classes in EQ that I feel don't fulfill their own unique niche are the ones added later. And maybe rangers, who kinda do the same "puller/melee dps/squishy but workable tank" thing as monks, except worse.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Modern MMORPGs are built around very tightly-balanced classes because their endgame designs basically require it. Having wildly unbalanced classes doesn't fly anymore when the focus is on raids and small-scale PVP. Also, WoW has vastly over-pruned all of the fun flavor stuff from a lot of classes that wasn't really a part of their main rotation abilities. Honestly, World of Warcraft is kind of a bad example of a modern MMORPG because it is in a very weird place of having some really modern designs while simultaneously sharing the same space as some awful old-school grognardy poo poo that should've been thrown out ages ago. That's not to say that all old-school design is bad, it's just that the old poo poo that sticks around in World of Warcraft specifically is really dumb poo poo.

Also I think you're over-selling EQ's classes. Paladins are lovely tanks at higher levels because they rely on easily-resisted spells to draw aggro. Druids are pretty worthless in raids because you're far better off taking a dedicated class than a jack of all trades unless you just straight up cannot find that dedicated class, in which case you're in for a bad time anyway. Clerics just chain complete heal rotations. Wizards are great for thirty seconds and then take a nap for an hour. And rangers, as you mentioned, are just bad.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 28, 2018

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
EQ would have been a much, much better game if Complete Heal had never been added.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

beastlord seemed interesting to me but berserker just seems bizarre. of course since i never played during the time they were in i have no idea how they worked in reality.

it was interesting playing back before people knew which classes were actually lovely. you'd see a good amount of rangers because track seemed like a great skill but i dunno why verant never "fixed" them.

and i never understood why the hybrid classes got an exp penalty - is that just a holdover from d&d? they're worse than the classes they take their 1/3 from so that never made sense to me.

and it's hilarious they accidentally coded halflings to get the human exp bonus and then just left it like that.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dick Burglar posted:

Paladins are lovely tanks at higher levels because they rely on easily-resisted spells to draw aggro.

Not to nitpick but resisted or not, the spell has the same hate. For an easy example, if a wizard gets a full resist on a 1615 damage nuke, they still have 1615 hate. Same with stuns or slows or whatever.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Thanks to Alteredstate last night in Unrest, letting me bum the babby clarity a few times. There seem to be so many chanters I'm not comfortable when I don't have clarity in a group.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Beastlord is legit gently caress all haters I will fight you with my pet crocodile.

They didn't have the spellcasting ability of Mages or Necros or the buffing capacity of Shamans or the hot fisticuffs action of monks, but oh holy gently caress their pets were amazing, they brought good-enough slow, a mana/regen spell that stacked with KEI/POTG, and were generally pretty durable compared to the other pet classes and could potentially take a punch or two. IIRC Beastlords also had the most potent pet heals and could actually play crocodile cleric pretty decently. In terms of overall usefulness at the level, beastlords having downleveled shaman buffs/debuffs tended to be way more useful at the beastlords level than the sort of pittances that Rangers or SKs generally got with downleveled druid/necro spells respectively.

Planes of Power especially it was pretty common for blords to dominate in petswarm groups especially when they got mixed up with mages for summoned weapons/armor and Necros for twitch/mana battery.

My one regret of playing Project 99 over Al'Kabor or Shards of Dalaya is no beastlords.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
You forgot to mention the absolute best part. You could get a bunch of beastlords together and whip out your crocs to troll popular places like EC since there was no way to mute just the pets and those fuckers never shut up. Ever.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
should i play this over reg EQ because i'm solo levelling a necro dark elf and im having a blast

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Doesn't regular eq have bag and other restrictions unless you fork out :10bux: ? On the one hand, live has a much newer client with a lot of quality of life changes and a lot of dead zones.

This has no dead zones (unless you count Runnyeye or Gorge) but it's a little harder to set up without filez. It also has a very active community and some of the hardest poopsockers and drama factories in the top tier raid scenes.

Pick your poison.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Everyone on P1999 is super nice IMO. I actually sometimes can't stand the toxicity of other games and log in to P99 just to gently caress around and chat with people because they are so nice. Its so refreshing. I'm sure there is that top 1% that are toxic as well but unless you are 60 you will never interact with them.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Most of those "top 1%" are also really nice people to chat or hang with, they just have too much time to play and have resigned themselves to the toxic attitude that competitive PVE breeds: turn into a huge dick when there's loot on the line or risk never getting anything. There are some who are basing their entire self worth around their success in a game that is almost old enough to drink in the US - and they should be avoided at all costs - but they are the minority, even in the top raiding guilds.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The public relations games people play always seemed way weirder to me than the actual toxicity itself, like last month I remember aftermath training us, apologizing for it, conceding the dragon, and then the next day on the forums their guild leader kept denying they ever trained us.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's a tossup among: the loot was bad and it was easier to just give it to you, posturing for PR/ego/NO MOM I CAN'T BE WRONG, trolling his guildmates/your guild/staff, or there was a communications breakdown between the people who were actually pulling/running the raid and the leadership.

Well-adjusted raiding guild leaders on P99 are pretty rare and don't typically last very long.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
So, I made an Emo album cover.

CobyKoby
Jan 3, 2008
Rebel, Rebel. Your face is a mess.
Is it still worthwhile getting into this? i played maybe 3 or so years ago and i'm a little worried about logging in again and just being the one low level dude...how does the server look now?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I joined Kittens Who Say Meow and was surprised at the number of true newbies that find their way into game. One guy couldn't figure out why the crit damage numbers don't show up the same in his logs. Another didn't know the difference between upper and lower Guk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CobyKoby posted:

Is it still worthwhile getting into this? i played maybe 3 or so years ago and i'm a little worried about logging in again and just being the one low level dude...how does the server look now?

There's not much grouping before like level 10 because there's not as much point, but from then on there's players in every zone at every level.

poo poo there's probably 4 level 8s at orc hill right now.